General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Recession? Your situation.....

Search this Thread

Old 16-01-2010 | 02:44 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by v man
i work hard mate

if i sat on my arse then fair enough but i dont
eh? that was in reply to Gaz W asking if there were any jobs going where i work lol
Old 16-01-2010 | 02:49 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

shit sorry i clicked the wrong reply

im not getting into an argument over who has what and who dont

i feel for the people who have lost everything and to those who are seriously struggling

ive been there big time

if i looked a little arogant(is that spelt right) then sorry but i truley aint

i would hate to be back there in that time of my life
Old 16-01-2010 | 02:54 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ye i know what yo mean, its easy to get carried away when you dont seem to be getting effected byt the reccesion BUT it could all end tomorrow thats why even people on very good money should be carefull imo as tomorrow they could be like the people they snigger at and take the piss out off

I feel for all the people that are struggling and getting little help from the government after putting so much in and all these scruffy cunts that have never had a job in there lives get hand out after hand out
Old 16-01-2010 | 03:05 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

it dont help when people come in to this shit country and get everything for free that very true

this country should look after is own before anyone else
Old 16-01-2010 | 04:16 PM
BlairM
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by Alps Pacino
actually yes there is
I should be doing what you are - I'm young, free and single and should work like fuck to earn money.
Old 16-01-2010 | 04:28 PM
rabmc
PassionFord Post Whore!!

if you dont mind me asking alps what is it you do offshore??

And when can i come with you
Old 16-01-2010 | 06:40 PM
GAZ W
PassionFord Post Troll

actually yes there is
Pm me deatails of what you do and what is involved , and also making the first steps to getting ajob there
Old 17-01-2010 | 02:03 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

v man, no ones digging at you but the hours you do is a lot for Ł35k! Thats a 75 hour week! works out Ł9 an hour! Sure Ł9 seems a lot if your used to minimum wage but its shit for a professional which i presume you are?
Old 17-01-2010 | 10:57 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I'm an electrician by trade but now operate and maintain rov's and cable/pipe laying equipment.

Basically rov's are little submarines that are remotely controled from a control room on the back of a ship which can do a load of different jobs, you get work class vehicles which have robotic arms on the front that do jobs like turn under water valves on oil platforms, then there are the big trenchers which do exactly what they say and trench in a cable or pipeline. then there are ploughs which are just massive lumps of metal that you drag along behind the vessel trenching in cables and pipelines.

The pipe/cable laying is done with a bit carousel and tensioners which feeds the cable over a shoot and down to the seabed, simple as that really.

For the people asking for jobs pm me with any questions you have and i will give honnest answers about anything you want to know, i wont tell you lies and it doesnt suit some people but it suits me and i love it but i am single with absolutly no ties back at home
Old 17-01-2010 | 11:02 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

forgot to put a link up, the blue and orange boat with 102 written on the side is what i'm on at the mo, gives you an idea of wha the equipment looks like and what it does
http://www.engb.com/products.php
Old 17-01-2010 | 02:27 PM
ossie cossie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

The recession has not been as bad over in OZ where i live, however it has effected me and my family, my mrs lost her job over a year ago and has only been doing part time since then, she is applying for lots of jobs, goes for the interview gets to the last 2 and then looses out, very frustrating, also my son only works part time, but i think that is more to do with his teenage attitude. Me i luckilly still have a well paid job to keep us afloat but as previously said it could all come crashing down at any time. I suppose the reason i am still employed is that i am a tradesman (electrician) and there are always jobs for sparkies in the paper and on line, but some of them are what i would not like to do, I dont fancy bieng a house sparkie in the roof space of a new house in 42 degrees centigrade, perhaps thats why i still dont have lights in some of the rooms of my house.
Old 17-01-2010 | 03:02 PM
PeterD
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If I can chip into this one.

financial services went tits up and our jobs went, lost my flat and had to sell the car, wasnt too good a situation.

Went to university and studied, been at it two years now, start my placement year in july and secured employment for that on friday just past so now I'm a software developer and with my placement I figure if I work as hard as I can for them a full time offer might just pop up there, as they have done with their previous developers.

Been hard because I've been skint for what feels like ages, had to share a care with the family, share a house with my parents and live on a shoestring.

But its paying off and fantastic to watch it all coming together! (so it fucking should be after working nights and weekends to pay for it all)

Pete
Old 17-01-2010 | 04:44 PM
GAZ W
PassionFord Post Troll

I'm an electrician by trade but now operate and maintain rov's and cable/pipe laying equipment.

Basically rov's are little submarines that are remotely controled from a control room on the back of a ship which can do a load of different jobs, you get work class vehicles which have robotic arms on the front that do jobs like turn under water valves on oil platforms, then there are the big trenchers which do exactly what they say and trench in a cable or pipeline. then there are ploughs which are just massive lumps of metal that you drag along behind the vessel trenching in cables and pipelines.

The pipe/cable laying is done with a bit carousel and tensioners which feeds the cable over a shoot and down to the seabed, simple as that really.

For the people asking for jobs pm me with any questions you have and i will give honnest answers about anything you want to know, i wont tell you lies and it doesnt suit some people but it suits me and i love it but i am single with absolutly no ties back at home
I take it experience and lots of it is needed in your field of work then ?
Old 17-01-2010 | 06:15 PM
mackers

Ossie cossie, Im an Australian citizen and am an electrician, mostly industrial end over here. Been out of work for about a year over here, was thinking of going to oz, how hard would it be for me to get work and roughly how much money would I make? All ball park figures will do.
Old 17-01-2010 | 07:45 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Originally Posted by GAZ W

everyone needs to start somewhere! can't always take the guys with all the experience

Alps seems to have done well since he got a break
Old 17-01-2010 | 07:54 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It has not really effected my line of work to much apart from a shake of the tree to get rid of some dead wood out the buisness, the salarys are still the same and there is still work there for good experienced people.

Mike
Old 17-01-2010 | 07:56 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

alps pacino do they have ex RN submariners in the ROV work or is that mostly for manned submersibles?
Old 17-01-2010 | 11:00 PM
ossie cossie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by mackers
Ossie cossie, Im an Australian citizen and am an electrician, mostly industrial end over here. Been out of work for about a year over here, was thinking of going to oz, how hard would it be for me to get work and roughly how much money would I make? All ball park figures will do.
HI mackers.
I live in Perth WA, originally from south wales. UK. At the moment i work in Indonesia as an underground sparkie, (probably cos i did it when i lived in wales in the coal mines) its not everyones cup of tea but i enjoy it and the money is very good.
I have seen lots of sparkie jobs in the local paper mostly in the saturday paper, The west Australian, there are also lots of labour hire mobs here, check out seek.com.au put in electrician and you will see most of the jobs are there ranging from sparkie work in factories, house building and heavy industrial.
If you are an Australian citizen you are over half way there, I am unsure of what a sparkie earn,s in the factories or house building game as i have never done that. However the mining industry is the big payer. But for that you have to be able to work away from home for a minimum of 2 weeks then you get a week off, fly in fly out. Because i work in INDO. I have a longer roster 8 weeks on and 4 weeks off, for that i am paid very well. I get $225,000 a year. ( thats about 125,000 pounds a year before tax) but as said before its a long time away from home in a hostile environment. Not everyones cup of tea.
If you are serious check out seek and come on over.
Old 18-01-2010 | 05:22 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
alps pacino do they have ex RN submariners in the ROV work or is that mostly for manned submersibles?
We dont as its not an rov its a submarine lol, All rov's are unmanned hence the name remote. There are ex sub mariners in the game though but all have a trade ie electrical/electronical, mech hyd etc.

Originally Posted by GAZ W
As Lambchops says everyone needs to start somewhere but to get into this type of work you will need a relevent trade, you wuld be taken on as a trainee which is just learning how to operate the equipment not a trainee tradesman.

It is very hard to get into as the industry tends to take on mates of gaffas or mates of mates etc which can be a very bad thing as it fluds the industry with bellends and idiots but on the plus side makes me look like a superstar, and you know the old saying "it doesnt take much to shine in a bucket of shit"

There has also been an influx of people without trades getting into the industry lately by doing the rov coarse at fort wiliam, the only problem with that is it teaches you the basics of flying an rov and very basic over view of all trade areas. Where this falls down is when these peopel turn up on a job and cant even operate a spanner which is the most important aspect of the job as if the sub doesnt work then whats the point in being a good pilot? So they tend to get 1 trip and are nrb'd (not required back), so after a few trip your name gets about and you just wont get a job anywhere as its a very close community and word soon gets about. That can also be a good thing as if you make a good name for yourself you will have poeple wantint you on there jb even if they have never met you but jst on recomendation from a friend or that they heard your name and heard your a good hand.
Old 18-01-2010 | 07:30 AM
AJC
10K+ Poster!!

I've done 3 days work this year and pr
Old 18-01-2010 | 07:32 AM
AJC
10K+ Poster!!

I've done 3 days work this year and prObably won't have work till come feb, so I am just doing what I can, odd jobs here and there, bit of mechanicing, bit of buying selling, scrapping old bangers etc
Old 18-01-2010 | 09:41 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

i got made redundant in mid december - found a job straight away but its a 3 month contract job which means I could be out of a job in a week if they wanted.

been getting loads of calls and have a few other interviews lined up so hopefully will get a permanent role soon enough, or even a better paid contract role.

Im trying to stay positive yet and will be ebaying like mad over the next few weeks.
Old 18-01-2010 | 10:06 AM
mackers

Thanks ossie cossie, Im seriously thinking about it. If I dont find work here soon it will be on the cards as Ill come over and get work and leave the wife here for the time being.