General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Recession? Your situation.....

Search this Thread

Old 15-01-2010 | 04:52 PM
rabmc
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Exclamation Recession? Your situation.....

Just a question rearding the "recession" or the aftermath or whatever, i up until now have been getting by, self employed security engineer.

Now work has dried up a good bit now and wondered what cut backs people have made to help the cash flow, like cutting sky? shopping or whatever because im probably going to be looking at ither re-training and getting another job in the mean time if possible and defo cutting out alot of money i waste on random things like sky full packkages etc etc!! got to be money i can save here and there i would imagine really need to sit down soon and have a good look through it all

Just wondered if anyone is in a simalar position or has any good tips

Last edited by rabmc; 15-01-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 15-01-2010 | 04:53 PM
lead_foot
is awesome

Started selling drugs again
Old 15-01-2010 | 05:04 PM
ProjectBobcat
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

have a look on moneysavingexpert forums mate, loads of suggestions
Old 15-01-2010 | 05:05 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

since the recession i've been cutting back on a fair bit and its surprising how much you can save

1) taking sandwiches to work instead of buying
2) cutting out junk food/ take away on weekends
3) shopped at Aldi for stuff i know is cheaper and actually tastes better than tesco's.

there is lots you can do, i've only scratched the surface with what i'm doing, i'm yet to cut out sky sports, espn etc

sign up to http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ he's a bit of a cock but good advise and vouchers etc
Old 15-01-2010 | 05:07 PM
Ben26
PassionFord Post Troll

I really can not help here as im just about to get a pay rise within the week
Old 15-01-2010 | 05:14 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

Originally Posted by ben22
I really can not help here as im just about to get a pay rise within the week
same as iam about so buy ap 6 pots and new forged yb for the saff

but its been hard i work 7 days and 4 nights in a week
Old 15-01-2010 | 05:30 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

just the obvious tbh, cutting down bills such as mobile phone, sky, seeing what else is comming out of account you may have forgot about,,,, ive just stopped running my impreza as a daily runner,,,, saving me 300 quid a month ALONE !! though its cause the gearbox shit its self pmsl

you could also look at selling things if you can be bothered,,,, thats gonna be my next step as ive got LOADS of cossie shite and erst shite im NEVER gonna use again, even a T34 turbo, polished cossie rocker cover, stage3 erst head and low comp bottom end ive still got but im just lazy pmsl
Old 15-01-2010 | 05:41 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

ive been lucky i havent really cut down on much. I got a cheaper phone contract so that saves me a bit. My cossie has been asleep since november so thats saved me a bit on fuel.
Old 15-01-2010 | 05:48 PM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Errrr, well I sold my 3 door

I work in recruitment and was not making enough commission to keep fixing the bastard when it broke.

This year is looking a lot better already, but I'm not counting my chickens yet. The fact the company I work for is still going is something to be thankful for - so many aren't.
Old 15-01-2010 | 05:48 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Lucky enough not too have been too affected by the recession, both of us still in work she's had a payrise and I got a bonus and lots of overtime. Also kind of took advantage as I bought a house at the weak stage so hopefully got a bargain!! Still though im a little careful with the pennies, not just spending crap on PS3 games, gadgets etc I dont need, also not been putting as much fuel in the car for the sake of it, been taking using my Beetle as she has a fuel card for it from work!

How have the self employed coped, interested to see as a lot of my friends who are self employed have picked up work now and are really busy? They were at a bad stage though 4 / 5 months ago.
Old 15-01-2010 | 05:50 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by bigchez
Errrr, well I sold my 3 door

I work in recruitment and was not making enough commission to keep fixing the bastard when it broke.

This year is looking a lot better already, but I'm not counting my chickens yet. The fact the company I work for is still going is something to be thankful for - so many aren't.
its deffo on the up, i applied to a few last week and im being HOUNDED by them with jobs they got,, 2 of em i could just walk into aswell,,,,,, but pikey sorted me out VERY quick so ive declined the other offers

deffo more work out there though as i was worried tbh at the time thinking it would take a few weeks maybe 2 months
Old 15-01-2010 | 05:58 PM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Ginge !
its deffo on the up, i applied to a few last week and im being HOUNDED by them with jobs they got,, 2 of em i could just walk into aswell,,,,,, but pikey sorted me out VERY quick so ive declined the other offers

deffo more work out there though as i was worried tbh at the time thinking it would take a few weeks maybe 2 months
Good news dude

Is that Dan Cossie? I know he's a recruitment wanker as well
Old 15-01-2010 | 06:03 PM
ShedSpeed
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

i'm completely fecked, don't earn enough to get by, have outstanding debts and can't seem to find a better paid job anywhere.

i'd go and drive off a cliff if i could afford the petrol to get to one
Old 15-01-2010 | 07:53 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Theres no recession at my place as I have had my best year since I started.

Mark
Old 15-01-2010 | 08:27 PM
Csm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Im ok for my job just now anyway

Reduced my hours 2 years ago to also do my own part time valeting business...... That was going fantastic till the credit crunch kicked off and im offering a service that is a luxery not a necessity so was the first to be bumped from the households and small business's I struggled on but it came to the time that it wasnt even covering my insurance etc etc so packed in

then what happens a few weeks after i pack in............ fuckin phone starts going again for valeting jobs , never mind missus works and i look after the kids/school run when im not working and do valeting homers to help the bills

Save dosh by really watching what go's in the trolly at asda
Stop the phone usage House and Mobile
Stop spending on shite while at work for food
Also drive at 60mph nearly everywhere makes a big difference in the cost of commute etc
Stop running 2 motors
Dont lash money on a car for goodies anymore (or try not to lol)
Im looking for cheaper house to rent at the mo but could take a long time

Missus is gonna cut the sky telly back alltogther i think
Old 15-01-2010 | 08:28 PM
AGAR-COSWORTH
Redumbdancy

Haven't had to cut back too much, but have started to shift around my savings/investments to better banks etc - can make a big difference if you keep on top of it every 3 months.
Old 15-01-2010 | 08:32 PM
BlairM
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by cfoster
How have the self employed coped, interested to see as a lot of my friends who are self employed have picked up work now and are really busy? They were at a bad stage though 4 / 5 months ago.

well not self employed, but I work for a small sub contractor in the construction industry - we've picked up Ł50k of orders in the past week - you tend to find no one wants to give out orders before christmas time anyway.

At the end of November the boss put us on to a 4 day week, still on it but the signs are looking better (as above!) and he reckons this Monday coming will be last off work... Kinda get used to working 4 days, but I look forward to the extra shifts wages in the bank again.

Luckily I live with my rents still so my car is my only outgoing. When we were put on short time I was in the middle of a loan application for my race car build, still went ahead with it but was really nervous about that.
Old 15-01-2010 | 08:32 PM
Rich_bloor
rich_bloor@hotmail.com

start a part time business in your spare time

www.watch4income.co.uk
Old 15-01-2010 | 08:33 PM
steviecossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by lead_foot
Started selling drugs again
well there is a market for it
Old 15-01-2010 | 09:28 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

What recession?
Old 15-01-2010 | 10:00 PM
tpaul
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Rich_bloor
start a part time business in your spare time

www.watch4income.co.uk
Hi Rich
I have been looking into this but you need Ł180 to even get started so if your on your arse where do you get the cash from?
Then you may not get your catalogues back and have to buy more
How did you manage ??
Paul
Old 15-01-2010 | 10:01 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

i had bad timing with loosing my job at start of recession due to illness and had to go from a decent wage to fuck all, so learnt hard and fast how to cut back.

Theres loads you can do. Cut back all your phone, net utilities etc. Or at least make sure your on the cheapest tariffs you can find.

Plan your meals so less of the "shit dont know what to have tonight, oh i'll get a curry".
also certain foods you can cut back on to the value ranges and it wont effect flavour.
go to supermarket at closing time to get the cheap bargains especially stuff you can freeze!
Shop round for home/pet insurances.
eat before going to cinema/night on beer as less reason for popcorn and kebabs etc.
Dont buy rounds
if your single then cook for 4 and freeze 3 portions then you have home made ready meals!
Make yourown subways for 1/3rd cost that taste better and are healthier.
Walk for journeys under a mile.
Only heat the rooms your in.
Only light the room your in
wear a jumper rather than turn the heating up.
Get a thicker duvet.
Dont put heating on in morning, just man up and get up quicker! The cold will wake you up!
Pay off expensive credit first (before you buy that new turbo ).
Drive smoothly, your fuel bill will reduce.
Go out to cinema, bowling etc earlier in week as its cheaper often.
If you have takeaways again many places do deals for early in week.
If you must use taxis, use private hire, usually cheaper per mile. If it means standing in cold for 10 mins then use PPPPPP or man up!
Old 16-01-2010 | 08:40 AM
Rich_bloor
rich_bloor@hotmail.com

Originally Posted by tpaul
Hi Rich
I have been looking into this but you need Ł180 to even get started so if your on your arse where do you get the cash from?
Then you may not get your catalogues back and have to buy more
How did you manage ??
Paul
Last january, i lost my job as a sky engineer, my mrs was already doing this part time, so we decided to do it together. long story short, yeah, we lost catalogues, we had bad pickups, but last year, we sold Ł35,000 of products. Not bad when most of the items are about Ł3-Ł5. This paid us enough to meet the bills and keep our house.

with regards to the cash, as im now a recruiter, so I could get you fully regestered with 200 books for Ł50, they only have 250 of these kits available, and thats an offer they are doing until the 20th of january. After that it goes back up to Ł180.

If your interested, let me know,

Rich_bloor@hotmail.com
Old 16-01-2010 | 09:03 AM
GAZ W
PassionFord Post Troll

just been going through a load of old wage slips (got nearly all my wage slips since starting work in 86) and i have earnt less this year than i did 10 years ago
Old 16-01-2010 | 10:35 AM
callummarshall

the recession bummed me! i wanted to leave school at 16 get an apperantiship and be done with it but theer was something like 4 apperntiships going for a huge area so i thought sack that!
Old 16-01-2010 | 10:41 AM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

I'm one of the evil ones and work for a bank. But not a mega bonus trader or broker before you ask just a fella that works with business accounts making sure they all run smoothly.

In a nut shell, my entire career plans have been fucked. The axe of redundancies are hanging over my head all the time, never know if I am going to have a job in the next year. No hope of getting any bonuses, even the little ones I used to get. The bank is being split, we are getting more and more work and its all going to shite.

Think banks are bad now, wait a year.
Old 16-01-2010 | 12:56 PM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by v man
same as iam about so buy ap 6 pots and new forged yb for the saff

but its been hard i work 7 days and 4 nights in a week
so that just leaves you with three nights of then, no thanks i`d rather be skint , some life you must lead mate.....

*V Man rings his mate at 3 in the morning "You coming out mate"

*Mate "Fuck of cunt!!!"
Old 16-01-2010 | 01:19 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I have been lucky and it hasnt effected me at all, i work offshore and it is normally relly lean over the winter time when you are day rating but i have been at work sonce the 2nd of december and wont be home till 10th of feb. I have only had 4 weeks off since the end of august and the bank balance is going up rapidly but i am working more than i usually would just incase things dry up but aparently 2010 is going to be busy.

The thing with the recession is if you are in a good possition work wise and have work for the forseable future you are laughting and can take advantage of the situation and all those people who thought they could live like rock stars over the past few years when the house prices went throught the roof, me mother works in the halifax and she says everyday is a constant flow of people comign in saying they cant pay there mortgage which i good news for me as i will be looking to buy a property in the next year depending on how house prices go.
Old 16-01-2010 | 01:35 PM
jammerrs
PassionFord Post Troll

use cash instead of cards, makes a huge differance

my mum works at a shoe shop called wynsors, they have had one of their best years ever as people still want to buy shoes but are getting cheaper ones instead.

im looking into getting a job now so hopefully places will start wanting people soon
Old 16-01-2010 | 01:36 PM
tiny2white

I sold me Mrs, only got a fiver but the money she dont spend has saved me a fortune!!
if only!
Old 16-01-2010 | 01:50 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

no pay rise this year
not as much overtime
and i'm effectivly losing Ł3k a year becaue the contract has fucked me for overtime as part of my "required hours"

but it's still tight with needing to find around Ł2500 a month to cover all the bills and stuff, mainly though i don't rely on overtime to make enough to get through the month
Old 16-01-2010 | 01:53 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

Originally Posted by Mr Brannen
so that just leaves you with three nights of then, no thanks i`d rather be skint , some life you must lead mate.....

*V Man rings his mate at 3 in the morning "You coming out mate"

*Mate "Fuck of cunt!!!"
not really mate i do it so my wife can sit home anD look after our 4 month old girl and 4 year old son

and it gives me 35k a year before bonus

so CUNT think before posting utter shit

plus you have no clue in what i do CUNT

as long as i have my saff
m3
evo
gsxr
and shit loads of money i aint complaining CUNT

Last edited by v man; 16-01-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 16-01-2010 | 02:01 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

still a lot of hours for only Ł35k!
Old 16-01-2010 | 02:12 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
still a lot of hours for only Ł35k!
i work 8 till 5 monday till friday

wednesday to saturday 8 till 11

so no not really

and 2 odd days at a1 rally sport

Last edited by v man; 16-01-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 16-01-2010 | 02:17 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by v man
i work 8 till 5 monday till friday

wednesday to saturday 8 till 11

so no not really
it is a lot of hours for 35k a year, i would only have to work 102 days a year to make that lol
Old 16-01-2010 | 02:19 PM
GAZ W
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Alps Pacino
it is a lot of hours for 35k a year, i would only have to work 102 days a year to make that lol

Any jobs going where you work
Old 16-01-2010 | 02:23 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

lol ?????

cant understand why thats funny

i have mates who work more and get alot less but i dont find it funny

i have mates who do a lot less but they dont think its funny

im not mocking anyone on here who have lost everything am i

im happy
my family go with out nothing
i have my toys
so thats all that matters
Old 16-01-2010 | 02:33 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

you were coming across as a bit arrogant to me like you amke a fortune and you have lods of toys, could be wrong though but thats hw your previous post read to me, thats why i thought it was funny thats all.
Old 16-01-2010 | 02:34 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by GAZ W
Any jobs going where you work
actually yes there is
Old 16-01-2010 | 02:42 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

actually yes there is
i work hard mate

if i sat on my arse then fair enough but i dont

and looking at your little list of toys you have as much as me maybe more

Last edited by v man; 16-01-2010 at 02:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Recession? Your situation.....