General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

HGV drivers on PassionFord

Search this Thread

Old 26-03-2010, 06:54 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by graleman
well if you're so smart,tell me why all my mates and me do it every day and no faults.There isn't even a warning light on.There is no fault with the tacho sensor,the pulse is just stopped so no problem.There was a public outcry in Holland over drivers doing it as no faults show up.I have friends who spend hours on the magnet as they call it and nothing even shows up at the dealer.The only thing I do know is some auto boxes dont work but not all.And by the way,most of us only do it to save a little time here and there as tacho laws are a joke.They want you to park up literally minutes from a depot or home just because you were maybe stuck in traffic and were a little late somewhere.And by the way I know plenty about trucks,I'm a fitter too but with spinal problems don't work full time now.The ebs sensors can be switched off by the way,ask Scania and Daf
honest awnser because its not working lol and i dont need to ask daf if u can switch the ebs sesors off because ive worked there for the last 8 years lol and i can tell u thats total bollox lol on a brakeing system thats totally reliant on the ecu knowing what each wheel is doing how can u turn the sensors off lol. So are u talking about a daf then because if your tacho sender is not getting its pulses from the tacho pluse wheel on the gearbox output shaft then your speedo will also stop working and your speedlimiter and u will have a yellow engine warning light on if u dont then that magnet is doing fuck all lol. Im just looking at it from someones point of veiw who works on the trucks and who also dose tacho calibration! It just carnt work as u say mate and if your talking about a daf aswell then i know it dosent work without causeing other problems!

Last edited by ajamesc; 26-03-2010 at 06:58 AM.
Old 26-03-2010, 08:24 AM
graleman
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

granted there's no speedo,we just use our satnav to know what speed we're doing to keep from being caught speeding.I'm in holland right now with the magnet on and no abs warnings on,want a picture?I was referring to the speed sensors fitted to some late scania'sa etc,they seem to stop it being possible to raise the speed limiter beyond a few kmh but there seems to be a way round it according to scania
Old 26-03-2010, 08:28 AM
graleman
Virgin

beside which,there is a guy out here who can wire a Daf up to disable the tacho whilst still leaving everything else operative but it costs around Ł2k.Maybe he's hacking the software too.All software can be hacked.My car has the D.P.F. filter in the exhaust removed,the E.G.R. valves permanently shut and remapped via software.Does 6mpg more than before and 60 BHP increase via software hack,
Old 26-03-2010, 10:19 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

granted there's no speedo,we just use our satnav to know what speed we're doing to keep from being caught speeding.I'm in holland right now with the magnet on and no abs warnings on,want a picture?I was referring to the speed sensors fitted to some late scania'sa etc,they seem to stop it being possible to raise the speed limiter beyond a few kmh but there seems to be a way round it according to scania
i have at no point said there will be an abs light on and if your speedo isent working then your tacho isent getting its speed signal and the reason the engine warning light isent on must be because the dmci ecu is takeing its speed reading from the ebs wheel sensor. But at the end of the day mate how is this going to help u lol this will still be stored on your card and in the tacho head thats a fact any one with a bit of know how and the vosa guys have lots of that will know something is wronge lol as the truck is moveing and your speedo isent! and the tacho will know your moveing as the wheels are turning but its your licance isent it lol just seems silly to me mate dont listen to what others tell u if its a daf it is also stored in the ecu. U may be able to hack the system but u carnt trun off the ebs wheel sensors mate as i say all the ecu.s talk via the can network and the engine and suspenion are linked to the brakes to work out its load sensing! and linked to the tacho. The truck its self gets its speed signal from the tacho head aswell and as your speedo isent working this shows u that its not getting it anymore this will be stored as an error on your ecu and in the head also on your card!
Old 26-03-2010, 11:29 PM
Mr.T
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well if you're so smart,tell me why all my mates and me do it every day and no faults.There isn't even a warning light on.There is no fault with the tacho sensor,the pulse is just stopped so no problem.There was a public outcry in Holland over drivers doing it as no faults show up.I have friends who spend hours on the magnet as they call it and nothing even shows up at the dealer.The only thing I do know is some auto boxes dont work but not all.And by the way,most of us only do it to save a little time here and there as tacho laws are a joke.They want you to park up literally minutes from a depot or home just because you were maybe stuck in traffic and were a little late somewhere.And by the way I know plenty about trucks,I'm a fitter too but with spinal problems don't work full time now.The ebs sensors can be switched off by the way,ask Scania and Daf
if they are doing that they are stupid. For starters it wont give you extra money or time. Plus there is a fault. It detects movement but no signal. So it gives a fault and the dealer will find it. But nothing you can see without a laptop. Will not work on a Volvo i shift anyways cos it only goes 30km/h with a magnet on.
Old 27-03-2010, 06:46 AM
graleman
Virgin

Why won't it make us money or time?On my last job,we left from northern england to the same place in Belgium every trip,it was just possible on one shift.We reloaded on the magnet or wire whichever type of tacho was fitted then drove back without it.Two trips a week were easily possible this way but if we never tipped and loaded off the tacho it wasn't.Doing this doubled our wages as we were paid by the trip.We aren't talking hours and hours over our time,maybe an hour or two only but even 10 minutes is classed as an offence so we did save a lot of time and money
Old 27-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Caprigirl
Drift Queen

all of the above is fine till there is an accident , then they plug the laptop on and your fucked .

Just dont see the point TBH ,
Old 27-03-2010, 10:56 AM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

agree with caprigirl,been there and a firm that had a scania tacho and limiter rigged got fucked over and went bust,even though they didnt know the driver had done it.
Old 27-03-2010, 10:58 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Originally Posted by Caprigirl
all of the above is fine till there is an accident , then they plug the laptop on and your fucked .

Just dont see the point TBH ,
and on a daf the dmci (engine) ecu will record hours of use which can be compaired to millage it also records this as throttle position park brake on or off and engine/wheel speed so u carnt say u was reving it sat still as he says lol. It will also store in the tacho that the truck has been moveing with out it getting its speed signal from the gearbox every time he dose it and for how long in hours!
Old 27-03-2010, 11:10 AM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by ajamesc
it all depends what the limiter is set too mate most are somewear between 84 and 90 kph! u are meant to set the limiter on a truck with a digital tacho to 89 because it gos up to the speed slightley over then gos back to what its set to so if its set to 90 it will keep hitting 91 and set of the overspeed in the head storing an overspeed fault on your card and in the head

maybe you will know the answer to this then mate
we have 3 new 18t dafs, 2 daycabs and 1 night cab, the 2 days cab truck do bang on 90km however they piss past every other truck on the motorways, the sat nav says they are doing 58mph
the night cab also sits on 90km however it doesnt keep up with anthing else on the road.
why is this?

also our daf units do 90km with the pedal on the floor but the cruise control will only keep it at 85km, can this be altered as its a pain in the arse when traveling up north
Old 27-03-2010, 11:17 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Originally Posted by mar_k
maybe you will know the answer to this then mate
we have 3 new 18t dafs, 2 daycabs and 1 night cab, the 2 days cab truck do bang on 90km however they piss past every other truck on the motorways, the sat nav says they are doing 58mph
the night cab also sits on 90km however it doesnt keep up with anthing else on the road.
why is this?

also our daf units do 90km with the pedal on the floor but the cruise control will only keep it at 85km, can this be altered as its a pain in the arse when traveling up north
The v max on cruise control is programed to 85 the speed limiter should be to as far as daf say but your aloud up to 90 thats why there is a differance but it carnt be changed so your stuck with 85 on cruise bud! May be your sleeper cab is just heavier? if its doing 90 its doing 90 it may just take longer to get there so seems slower just one of them things
Old 27-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

we have had them following each other on few occasions and the day cabs piss all over them, nothing seems to keep up with them.
there is deffiantley a difference in the speeds as on the motorway the distance between the trucks just keeps growing.

strange and annoying really.

often get starting issues with all of them aswell,
mainly red engine warning being displayed on the dash, starts after a few minutes
Old 27-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Mr.T
PassionFord Post Troll

Why won't it make us money or time?On my last job,we left from northern england to the same place in Belgium every trip,it was just possible on one shift.We reloaded on the magnet or wire whichever type of tacho was fitted then drove back without it.Two trips a week were easily possible this way but if we never tipped and loaded off the tacho it wasn't.Doing this doubled our wages as we were paid by the trip.We aren't talking hours and hours over our time,maybe an hour or two only but even 10 minutes is classed as an offence so we did save a lot of time and money
You don't make money when you get caught. Belguim and the france police arnt that helpfull when they find out you worked the tacho. The uk police same thing. As said above. Mate of mine had the same problem few weeks ago in the uk. Magnet etc etc. 900gbp fine and 2 days jail. So tell me how do you make money out of that? Driving a few min over your time in belguim and france will empty your bank account. Fines up to 2500euro. And more. So i rather be a few hours later then pay 2500euro for something that wasnt needed after all. I never ever do this. Its stupid. And they WILL find out. There are faults you cant see. But plug the laptop in de unit and they find it. Believe me.
Old 27-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

DAF's, all you gotta do is stare at them long enough and they will throw you a warning light
Old 27-03-2010, 12:42 PM
si lee
Virgin

Graleman, I cannot believe that you are admitting to break tacho rules on a public forum. and on a regular bases. The rules are there for a reason. Hope you are never in a accident involving a innocent person because doubling your wages is more important than safety.
Old 27-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Mr.T
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Big G
DAF's, all you gotta do is stare at them long enough and they will throw you a warning light
Just for fun You can stick a FORD badge on it and you won't see the diff
Old 27-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Mr.T
PassionFord Post Troll

beside which,there is a guy out here who can wire a Daf up to disable the tacho whilst still leaving everything else operative but it costs around Ł2k.Maybe he's hacking the software too.All software can be hacked.My car has the D.P.F. filter in the exhaust removed,the E.G.R. valves permanently shut and remapped via software.Does 6mpg more than before and 60 BHP increase via software hack,
60hp more?? Its a DAF why bother
Old 27-03-2010, 10:29 PM
graleman
Virgin

my god si lee,do you really believe that? Yes tache rules were supposed to help safety but they've goe way over the top with the restrictions now.I said we don't drive hours and hours over our time,just a little to get the job done.Why do you think so many old established haulage companies have gone to the wall?They are expected to park drivers up only minutes away from their destinations without any allowance made for delays on our defunct road network.Do you seriously believe that a driver is 100% safe up to 9 hrs driving but a menace on the road at 9hrs 15 mins?In America where the litigation culture is far higher than ours they are allowed to drive much longer and don't even use tacho's yet.Anyone with a brain should be able to see that time is money and all these regulations are doing now is destroying our economy.This government and indeed the whole of the eec is hell bent on controlling our every move by regulating everything we do.My god they even tell us how many hours we can work each week.Do you think Bill Gates et al only worked a 48hr working week while building his company?Overtime is the only way the working man ever had of making a little extra and bettering himself but they even take that away.I say sod the law,let's have a revolution lol
Old 27-03-2010, 11:51 PM
bj928
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

in America i can drive 8 days on the trot, and upto 11 hours straight with no breaks each day, as long as i don't go over 70 hours without a 34 hour break, the trucks over here can go the same speed as the cars, and thats 75 most the time, buts a lot of trucks are good for well over 75, and with no tacho just a log sheets u fill in yourself, and then can adjust at the end of the day by doing a new one for that day, so good chance of doing more than 11 hours a day driving if u write it out right!!!!! wide open freeways/interstates that u can cover 700+ miles in a day, weigh stations on entering most state, but if your running light or at least under weight its just a 2 min stop, europe has got out of hand with the european trucks, now the driver has to go to the classroom every 5 years to learn what hes been doing is right, but only has to attend, if he falls asleep thats ok, hes been, no test or anything, what is the point of that, oh thats it, a money making exercise for someone and a job justification for some pen pusher in europeland!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2010, 11:15 PM
bj928
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

my truck for a bit, gutted, it only does 70 mph
Old 09-04-2010, 11:33 PM
Caprigirl
Drift Queen

only 70 ???

On the M6 today I had someone in a FH12 pass me and I was doing nearly 75
Old 10-04-2010, 08:40 AM
Csm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Probably was an irish truck ?
Old 10-04-2010, 08:40 AM
Mr.T
PassionFord Post Troll

Mine for now. Since i changed jobs

Old 10-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Caprigirl
Drift Queen

Originally Posted by Csm
Probably was an irish truck ?
No , I used to run out of Ireland so I know what the paddy's like

No limiter , pedal to the metal and you can get a credit card between them all..................... and they all Run V8's
Old 10-04-2010, 09:59 AM
Mr.T
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Caprigirl
No , I used to run out of Ireland so I know what the paddy's like

No limiter , pedal to the metal and you can get a credit card between them all..................... and they all Run V8's
Don't think a v8 has something to do with it. As volvo has a L6 with 700HP Its wierd tho. Ive seen some irish trucks here on the main land they are fast 100 easy.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Caprigirl
Drift Queen

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Don't think a v8 has something to do with it. As volvo has a L6 with 700HP Its wierd tho. Ive seen some irish trucks here on the main land they are fast 100 easy.

Ok they are just crazy
Old 10-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Mr.T
PassionFord Post Troll

Must be a irish thing then
Old 10-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Caprigirl
Drift Queen

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Must be a irish thing then