General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Veryon power figure @ wheels

Search this Thread

Old 21-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Coldo
I actually cannot believe you are comparing your nova to a veyron.
the only thing im comparing is the power to weight ratio. is there some reason why I shouldn't do so?
Old 21-12-2009, 11:13 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

that's the point i was trying to make chaps

assuming you have the same power to weight as the veyron, does this mean your car should be as fast/quick?

and just beacuse it should be equal on paper, does it do equal numbers in the real world?

or are we talking about sheding weight in order to meet a figure and then forgetting that with no weight you may not get the same amount of traction etc?
Old 21-12-2009, 11:17 PM
Chip

Off the line its all about grip, at high speeds its about aerodynamics, there is a point in the middle though where power to weight is very important indeed, from about 30-130 or there abouts typically.

So at that point, i'd probably get kind of near to one, everywhere else it would slaughter my car.
Old 21-12-2009, 11:35 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
So at that point, i'd probably get kind of near to one, everywhere else it would slaughter my car.
Surely the way in which it makes the power means you wouldn't? Say yours might make similair power to weight, but the Veyron has it for much longer?

Benni.

Last edited by Benni; 21-12-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 21-12-2009, 11:39 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Benni
Surely the way in which it makes the power means you wouldn't? Say yours might make similair power to weight, but the Veyron has it for much longer?

Benni.
Mine stays on the boil fairly well between gear changes providing I rev it hard. As does the veryon I would imagine, but Ive never driven one, lol

Last edited by Chip; 21-12-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 21-12-2009, 11:39 PM
Drunken Master
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Benni.
He said 30-130. Then the aerodynamics and extra power will come in.
Old 21-12-2009, 11:57 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by Drunken Master
He said 30-130. Then the aerodynamics and extra power will come in.
I know he did. You've misunderstood what I asked.

Benni.
Old 22-12-2009, 12:16 AM
Drunken Master
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I know he did. You've misunderstood what I asked.

Benni.
I haven't if your on about cooling issues I'm sure the 1000bhp car has much bigger problems.

Nevermind though.
Old 22-12-2009, 12:23 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by Drunken Master
I haven't if your on about cooling issues I'm sure the 1000bhp car has much bigger problems.

I've not mentioned cooling issues? Nothing even close. I meant 30-130 might be quicker in the Veyron because Chip might have 500bhp for a range of 3000rpm where as the veyron could be producing it's power for a whole range of 7000rpm so won't tail off.

Benni.
Old 22-12-2009, 12:26 AM
Chip

The veryon doesnt produce its power for much of its rev range, it has a fairly flat torque curve from what I remember, presumably because it is torque limited by the gearbox so cant make big power at very low rpm as a result
Old 22-12-2009, 01:39 AM
petey.
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
as far as i understand it its like this :

basically the harder you turn something it is in turn harder to turn it.
like riding a bike, the faster you pedal the harder you have to work to go even faster?
Old 22-12-2009, 01:42 AM
Chip

The more load you put through a cog the more resistance from friction you get.

Rub your hand along the carpet, now push down hard and do the same thing.

Pretty simple stuff, but getting an equation to mimick it isnt!
Old 22-12-2009, 09:40 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

I meant 30-130 might be quicker in the Veyron because Chip might have 500bhp for a range of 3000rpm where as the veyron could be producing it's power for a whole range of 7000rpm so won't tail off.

Benni.
Why would a veyron make 1001ps from idle to the red line?
Old 22-12-2009, 09:49 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by AlexF
Althouh obviously it wont do that, it does have a MUCH lower specific output than my car, and hence will be less peaky.
But for accelerative purposes all that matters is that you have a good enough spread of power to cover the width of a gearchange of course, which both cars do.
Old 22-12-2009, 10:02 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

From the promotion video I have here - and the marketing torque curve they show it is very flat...

I'll try and host the videos I have
Old 22-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Chip

From the promotion video I have here - and the marketing torque curve they show it is very flat...
As you would expect from an engine with a relatively low specific output (its like getting 250bhp out of a 2 litre lump), which obviously means that at 6Krpm it will make about 3 times the power it does at 2krpm etc
Old 22-12-2009, 10:10 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

actually theres not much you can tell from the video - but I'll chuck them online anyway!

Alex
Old 22-12-2009, 10:18 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

let me know if they work....

http://www.afracing.co.uk/veyron/
Old 22-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I never said it would. Your talking as though I gave exact figures.

Benni.
Old 22-12-2009, 10:48 AM
johnenright150rst
Regular Contributor

my mate had a 200bhp nova xe red top on 45 was rapid cant even imadgin what your novas like with over double the bhp of his!
Old 22-12-2009, 10:56 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

I never said it would. Your talking as though I gave exact figures.

Benni.
You said....

the veyron could be producing it's power for a whole range of 7000rpm so won't tail off.

Benni.
red line is about 7k in a veyron...

So your "whole range of 7000rpm" would seem to be suggesting you expect the power band from idle to the red line.

After all your SO keen to correct people in threads where you clearly have no real intrest or knowledge I thought I would just ask a simple question on this subject .
Old 22-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

What the fuck are you talking about? You going on as though I came on here throwing my knowledge around and claiming figures. I asked a question, which was shown with the use of a question mark. Chip answered the question as he understood it, and then others decided to pick at it. I was asking questions to learn, so don't be such an fucking arse hole and stop nit picking. If I had said 'Your car will be slower because...' then fair enough, but I never, did I? So shut the fuck up, clown.

Benni.

Last edited by Benni; 22-12-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 22-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by johnenright150rst
my mate had a 200bhp nova xe red top on 45 was rapid cant even imadgin what your novas like with over double the bhp of his!
Certainly a big difference between mine and my old TB'd nova XE, but the extra weight involved in my nova for the engine conversion puts the weight up more in line with an astra than a nova now really, so its not as simple as being twice as quick as a 200bhp nova, it isnt due to the extra weight.

For a 457bhp RWD car though, its actually pretty light in the grand scheme of things, especially considering it still has carpets and electric mirrors etc.
Really it needs to be going on a diet at some point though as I dont use it as a daily driver now like I once used to so it doesnt need all that stuff anymore really.
Old 22-12-2009, 11:07 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

What the fuck are you talking about? You going on as though I came on here throwing my knowledge around and claiming figures. I asked a question, which was shown with the use of a question mark. Chip answered the question as he understood it, and then others decided to pick at it. I was asking questions to learn, so don't be such an fucking arse hole and stop nit picking. If I had said 'Your car will be slower because...' then fair enough, but I never, did I? So shut the fuck up, clown.

Benni.
LOL!

Calm down there!

I asked you a question to clarify your understanding - you went on the offensive LOL

so back to the question

what do you mean by your common about the veyron's power band compared to Chip's power band?

Alex
Old 22-12-2009, 11:07 AM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

This place was so much better when Benni didnt have internet. Fuck off to the muppet room.
Old 22-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Chip

Benni.
I think you are missing the irony of the fact that the other day you were desperately trying to make a big deal out of someone using perspex as a term for clear plastic which is in fact better referred to as polycarb, which really was nit picking for no point, especially as it was in a thread about power output anyway.

Personally im all for correcting people if its relevant to the thread or useful, so it seems reasonable to me that Alex would want to point out that the veryon makes only a few hundred bhp low down in the rev range when someone makes a comment that it has the full power for 7K
Old 22-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by Ollie.
This place was so much better when Benni didnt have internet. Fuck off to the muppet room.
Even when I wasn't here, you moaned about me and slagged me off in threads, so would it really make much difference? If I left and never returned you'd still be here in years to come having a go at me like the sad little cunt you are. I'll tell you what, how about you go and fuck yourself! If you don't like me you can put me on ignore, it's not hard, is it? So go on, fuck off.

Benni.

Last edited by Benni; 22-12-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 22-12-2009, 11:18 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

I think you are missing the irony of the fact that the other day you were desperately trying to make a big deal out of someone using perspex as a term for clear plastic which is in fact better referred to as polycarb, which really was nit picking for no point, especially as it was in a thread about power output anyway.

Personally im all for correcting people if its relevant to the thread or useful, so it seems reasonable to me that Alex would want to point out that the veryon makes only a few hundred bhp low down in the rev range when someone makes a comment that it has the full power for 7K
Thats my point exactly Chip - I can't believe I wond Benni up so much!

I know the comment about his intrest wasn't exactly kind - but its a fair observation
Old 22-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

What are you correcting me on? I've not claimed anything at all. I asked you a question, which instantly means I don't know the answer. I gave figures for an example, to show what I was talking about, nothing more and nothing less. So I ask a question and you wish to correct it?

Benni.
Old 22-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Chip

Thats my point exactly Chip - I can't believe I wound Benni up so much!

I know the comment about his intrest wasn't exactly kind - but its a fair observation
Agreed, amazes me sometimes how much some people let comments on a forum wind them up, all water off a ducks back to me and I would advise others to have the same outlook, it makes the internet a far happier place to be, lol

Last edited by Chip; 22-12-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 22-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Chip

What are you correcting me on?
Nothing at all in this thread, havent said I am correcting you, you must have misread something.
Old 22-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Agreed, amazed me sometimes how much some people let comments on a forum wind them up, all water off a ducks back to me and I would advise others to have the same outlook, it makes the internet a far happier place, lol
Says the man who once left the forum all together because someone wound him up so much.

Benni.
Old 22-12-2009, 11:24 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

OK I think I understand Benni now...

Where you asking somthing along the lines of:

Chip's engine will have a narrower power band than that of a veyron - so is it worth comparing the power to weight ratios? The figures might not be representative of what would happen on the road...

Alex
Old 22-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Turner RS
Regular Contributor

I simply cannot beleive the builder of shitboxes (shed and cars) is comparing a nova to a veyron?

You sir are the ultimate max power chav !!!

Turner
xx
Old 22-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

OK I think I understand Benni now...

Where you asking somthing along the lines of:

Chip's engine will have a narrower power band than that of a veyron - so is it worth comparing the power to weight ratios? The figures might not be representative of what would happen on the road...

Alex
Yes! It was that simple really. Since then I've had people try and correct me on over heating issues, and some clown tell me to go back to the muppet room. It seemed Chip had already answered my question, so I dont know why others even picked at it?

Benni.
Old 22-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Chip

Says the man who once left the forum all together because someone wound him up so much.

Benni.
You must be confusing me with someone else, Ive never "left" the forum or been wound up by it to any great extent for that matter, I dont take such things seriously.
Old 22-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Turner RS
I simply cannot beleive the builder of shitboxes (shed and cars) is comparing a nova to a veyron?

You sir are the ultimate max power chav !!!

Turner
xx
Ah, here is turner to talk about his favourite subject, and the only one he reguarly comments on, me.

anyway, Im quite busy at the moment so dont have time for entertaining retards on the internet today, so will close this thread and leave you all to go and play elsewhere as Ive had my question answered anyway.

Regards

Chip