General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

calling all zetec turbo people!

Search this Thread

Old 13-12-2009, 08:24 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

you can get a t34 with stage 5 internals that will do a genuine 600bhp from america somewhere! same physical size as a t34 turbo

cheers paul
Old 13-12-2009, 08:27 PM
project rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zetaboostboy522bhp
i aint bigging the silvertop up hes asking for pros and cons which i have said about both engines , but my engine is provern , what you done with the zetec engine , oh yeh fook all and seeing as ian howell is the best zetec tuner in the country by a mile then i will listen to people who have achieved something not just talked shit ,
this is coming from a man who said that he didnt think ian was a good engineer lol.

we will race mate when my cars finished to see which is fastest

cheers paul
true ian is a good tuner but alot of it comes from what people in states been doing for years and what has your engine proved exactly that strapped to a dyno it done this and that i believe for a engine to prove something it has to make it into an engine bay and be abused if it's done these things now please put up it's times and topspeed run
Old 13-12-2009, 08:33 PM
creator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by project rs
true ian is a good tuner but alot of it comes from what people in states been doing for years and what has your engine proved exactly that strapped to a dyno it done this and that i believe for a engine to prove something it has to make it into an engine bay and be abused if it's done these things now please put up it's times and topspeed run
lol im not been funny but all cars are built for different things mate not all cars are built for top speed perhaps 1/4 miles tho
Old 13-12-2009, 08:35 PM
crazycage
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

both engines responed well to being heavily modified and turbo'd.
silver top engine has far bigger mains caps which makes the bottom end slightly stronger as standard.
the black top engine has a baffled sump as standard , very slightly better flowing head until you have the area six ultimate head then theres hardly no difference , people will say rod ratio etc but just get rods to suit your needs.
oil pumps are a massive issue and the black top has had billet gears made so they are very strong
also you can buy billet mains caps for the black top but theres some machining work involved.
all these parts will cost more money on top and can be expensive.
when i asked ian howell which engine he preferes he says the silver top and hes the man to listen to
silver top engines have come up with the numbers etc and theres more silvertops running big bhp than blacktops
sunnys 460+bhp silvertop
mine 522bhp silvertop
dan arrowsmiths 536bhp silvertop
paul johnsons 500+bhp silvertop bottom end / blacktop head (major work mating the 2 together)
will gallops 660bhp blacktop (rallycross unlimited budget not what the average person can afford)
i think theres not alot in it but the blacktop is readily available

hope this helps

cheers paul
pauls j's engine is the only one you have listed that has done more than a few dyno pull's and pauls is and always was a blacktop bottomend .
Old 13-12-2009, 08:38 PM
robp-tt
ZETEC TURBO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by crazycage
pauls j's engine is the only one you have listed that has done more than a few dyno pull's and pauls is and always was a blacktop bottomend .
i thought his engine was a hybrid, black top head and silver top bottom end
Old 13-12-2009, 08:40 PM
project rs

Originally Posted by creator
lol im not been funny but all cars are built for different things mate not all cars are built for top speed perhaps 1/4 miles tho
thats what i meant by times i.e0-60 1/4mile or 0-100 as said above most figures above are all dyno stuff and i prefer it when they actually get abused as this really proves an engine
Old 13-12-2009, 08:41 PM
crazycage
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by robp-tt
i thought his engine was a hybrid, black top head and silver top bottom end
sorry but its not and never was but zetecboostboy will tell you different, try asking ian h or paul j .
Old 13-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Brian
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by focusrrx87
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_t...All-Categories

ebay link 172 pounds, 22quid delivered

Is this the same one as on there site? am i better of buying it from ebay or there site

Brian
Old 13-12-2009, 08:48 PM
focusrrx87
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian
Is this the same one as on there site? am i better of buying it from ebay or there site

Brian
its from thew same company the ebay link is just thje gears have to fit them ur self. the other link is the pump wiv gears already fitted.
Old 13-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Brian
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by focusrrx87
its from thew same company the ebay link is just thje gears have to fit them ur self. the other link is the pump wiv gears already fitted.
Oh right thanks mate

Brian
Old 13-12-2009, 08:51 PM
robp-tt
ZETEC TURBO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by crazycage
sorry but its not and never was but zetecboostboy will tell you different, try asking ian h or paul j .

ok i thought i heard it was a hybrid but either way its doing well with the power its making
Old 13-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

my engine is provern , what you done with the zetec engine , oh yeh fook all
cheers paul
You maybe suprised as to what i've done with a zetec. What has yours proven apart from its impressive dyno pull?

Rick
Old 13-12-2009, 09:44 PM
rst-g
ZETEC TURBO

Originally Posted by Rick
You maybe suprised as to what i've done with a zetec. What has yours proven apart from its impressive dyno pull?

Rick
hi rick have you any links to your zetec???? as iam also interested in zetec's
Old 13-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

paul johnsons 500+bhp silvertop bottom end / blacktop head (major work mating the 2 together)
Actually its a piece of piss. Tkes about half and hour to sort out if you know what you are doing.
Old 13-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

No mate, sorry I don't - it's just my hobby that I do for myself and friends.

Rick
Old 13-12-2009, 10:16 PM
clarke5700
YES I KNOW I CANT SPELL

Originally Posted by Garage19
Actually its a piece of piss. Tkes about half and hour to sort out if you know what you are doing.
how did you go about doing it? as with the st 170 head it took 30 secs
Old 13-12-2009, 10:20 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp

Originally Posted by project rs
total understand where your coming from mate but when your engine stands you at Ł10,000 plus and your trying to build a car from scratch unfortunatly thinks take time and yes iam after some good top speed runs and 1/4 mile times. as for dyno pulls this is the most accurate way of testing an engine for bhp and torque.

what i will do then rick is tell harvey and ahmed to get rid of the dyno as its shit and tell the 2 best tuners in the business that they dont know a solid engine when they test them because you say so lol. what about ag cossie engine that went on the dyno and theres nowt wrong with that in the car!.
tell me what youve done then rick as iam genuinely interested

crazycage i dont know what your prob is with me as if you read my post i gave my opinion on both engines good and bad , and iam also very close friends with ian and talk to him all the time , iam also sure that ian had to relocate the belt pulley so it either a silvertop head or the other way round , since then ian has told me that a local firm close to paul built his last engine so i dont know if it changed since then , and i forgot sunnys engine of the list

cheers paul
Old 13-12-2009, 10:54 PM
SiZT

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread makes me lol
Old 13-12-2009, 10:55 PM
clarke5700
YES I KNOW I CANT SPELL

Originally Posted by SiZT
This thread makes me lol
+1
Old 13-12-2009, 11:11 PM
SiZT

Oh, and by the way, if the engines going in a Mk3 Fiesta you'll have to do a bit of work on the top engine mount with a black top as the belt tensioner will be touching it.
Old 14-12-2009, 12:27 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Garage19
What needs to be done? Genuine question

Is it just pulley arrangment etc...
Old 14-12-2009, 09:17 AM
crazycage
PassionFord Post Whore!!

total understand where your coming from mate but when your engine stands you at Ł10,000 plus and your trying to build a car from scratch unfortunatly thinks take time and yes iam after some good top speed runs and 1/4 mile times. as for dyno pulls this is the most accurate way of testing an engine for bhp and torque.

what i will do then rick is tell harvey and ahmed to get rid of the dyno as its shit and tell the 2 best tuners in the business that they dont know a solid engine when they test them because you say so lol. what about ag cossie engine that went on the dyno and theres nowt wrong with that in the car!.
tell me what youve done then rick as iam genuinely interested

crazycage i dont know what your prob is with me as if you read my post i gave my opinion on both engines good and bad , and iam also very close friends with ian and talk to him all the time , iam also sure that ian had to relocate the belt pulley so it either a silvertop head or the other way round , since then ian has told me that a local firm close to paul built his last engine so i dont know if it changed since then , and i forgot sunnys engine of the list

cheers paul
i dont have a prob with you or anyone on the net. but you always seem to mention the mains being weak when no one can point me in the direction of a set that have failed but because jay racing sell some uprated ones then you have it in your head there crap !! fuck farndon sell a steel crank for the zetec but the standard one has been proven to hold well over 500hp.

i dont have a prob with anyone wanting to build a silvertop its there cash and there car but the blacktop is just a better base to start from.

all mep done on pauls engine was rebore it and not very good one at that.

and as for you wanting to race rick or prick as you call him 4x4 v's fwd on the 1/4 mile is not a fair race imo.

Last edited by crazycage; 14-12-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 14-12-2009, 09:38 AM
adduk
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right so if i read this right, the best to build would be using a silver top bottom end with a blacktop head. the reason i ask is that i am building a zetec turbo myself and i have a set of pec rods and pistons to fit the silver top. But if i am going to get a better flowing head from the blacktop should i use that?This would save me the cost of porting the silver top head as i am only looking at running 300bhp.

Can this be done then and if so what cost or problems would i face. Plus would it still be as reliable as it would be to use the correct paired heads. Im very interested in hearing an outcome to this as it could save me money and give me a better engine in the process.

cheers adam
Old 14-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Luca
Lukesville

Personally what would I run if I was to build another engine.

Well I am building what would be deemed a new engine again after my oil pump failure. The complete bottom end set up was scrapped.

Thankfully the head at best is salvageable, this will have new valves and train fitted though to freshen it up.

Oil pump IS the weak point. Silver top or Black top!
Even if the Billet gearing is fitted……. Im 99% sure Sazybk's failed early in 2009. He is running huge HP and revs but a fails a fail in my book.

Back to the points raised however.

Black top silver top for and against.
Well that depends how far you want to get involved.
I am sticking with a silver top head as it Is what I have, this is also what zetec boy has too and a few others.
If this was to have failed in mine/damaged I probably would have gone for a black top spec.

WHY????

I like the added security of the extra tensioner on these. It makes sense if your revving high and the solid lifters too.

After one engine that cost me a fortune, caution is my latest HOBBY!
Im not needing to rev HIGH or anywhere near 8k. Peak power if I remember is around 7250rpm on my last spec.

Main caps will they fail wont they fail… If you have best part of Ł1500-2000 in a bottom end the price of some caps and an up rated pump are mere pocket change!
Im not messing around this time and the dry sump option is the way forward. With an array of early warning lights and gauges for oil pressure.

The biggest hurdle I had to address was the issue of boost control with an internally gated turbo. Hopefully the external waste gate set up will sort this out.

In summary
You need to decide on the power output of your engine and what revs it pulls too.
This being the key decider of any spec.

Silvertop / Blacktop / SVT/ST170 – They all have weak points just need to address the key issues to HOPEFULLY rule out these failings.
Whichever engine you go for they are in essence the same things….
Old 14-12-2009, 10:54 AM
dug112y
passionford pro

luca, was your crank lightened(a lot) and balanced? do you know if any other failed ones had l+b cranks??
Old 14-12-2009, 11:18 AM
adduk

So is there STILL no uprated oil pump for the silver top engine?. I would of hoped by now something would of been made due to the demand of them!

Due to me having the pec rods and pistons to suit the silver top engine, would these fit into the blacktop bottom end so i could run the complete blacktop engine with my uprated parts. I believe that the cranks are the same but someone correct me if im wrong! by doing this i could use the uprated oil pump and like luca said have the added tensioner. As i am only wanting to run 300bhp and be used for everyday use the engine wouldnt be subjected to the stress that alot of you guys put urs through on the track and 1/4 mile.

cheers
Old 14-12-2009, 11:27 AM
RAT8OY
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Silvertops are tops!

Boys you really shouldnt be getting so upset and excited! I know what HAS worked for me and I know what my silvertop HAS achieved on a Dyno. As regarding the comments about the only way to test an engine is in the car, well I take my hat off to anybody who wants to hold a 500+bhp engine flat out under full load long enough for somebody to monitor all the perameters and make the adjustments.

As regarding future achievements with zetec turbos in a car, watch this space....
Old 14-12-2009, 11:32 AM
dug112y
passionford pro

silvertop oil pump gears. there is someone getting these made from billet at the moment should be ready in jan but they will need testing!!! any takers lol.
Also i am looking into something else that doesnt stop the problem but moves the harmonic vibration further up the rev range and out of the majority of our rev ranges hence no gear shattering.can also PM for info or suggestions
Old 14-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Luca
Lukesville

Im going to throw a spanner in the works with a question....

Paul, Dan

If you were to build a new head would you go for a Black Top set up?
as in soild lifters, longer revving and the added tensioner pulley?
Old 14-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Luca
Lukesville

Originally Posted by dug112y
luca, was your crank lightened(a lot) and balanced? do you know if any other failed ones had l+b cranks??

Pass

The new one is having these areas covered though!

It is all ready to be collected now from the machiners/balencers.
Old 14-12-2009, 12:04 PM
sas
should be good!

My expiriance on Zetecs is as follows -

Cranks are very strong, I was running a Black top at 95mph in 5th gear when I went to snatch 4th (chasing an Evo) and fully selected 2nd!!!! I got a 2 second overrev to 12500rpm. It bent all 8 ex valves as cam pully rotated on camshaft. That was the only damage. Also using standard main bearing caps.
Old 14-12-2009, 12:32 PM
SiZT

Luke & Szybak (?) and anyone else who have had high RPM oil pump failures, what crank pulley's were you using?

To throw something else into the works , the guide and tensioner pulley on blacktops/ST170 and the possible weakness with these at high RPM.

Oh and for the silvertop fanboy's, looking at the 2 different blocks I would say that the blacktop is stronger!!
Old 14-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Lloyd
escort mk4 cossy 4x4

[quote=dug112y;4573813]silvertop oil pump gears. there is someone getting these made from billet at the moment should be ready in jan but they will need testing!!! any takers lol.

a billet oil pump gear will be far better than the standard sintered ones used,its just a matter of finding out how much better.
they should be tested at 9k +rpm
Old 14-12-2009, 01:46 PM
dug112y
passionford pro

i agree lloyd, glad you be testing them lol or could see if anyone with a dyno fancys strapping it on and taking it it up to 9k....
Old 14-12-2009, 01:53 PM
SiZT

a dyno wouldn't be much use, it would need to be under sustained high rpm usage for some time. Unfortunately for him I think its Will who is going to prove whether the billet gears are up to the job or not.
Old 14-12-2009, 01:56 PM
dug112y
passionford pro

is wills a blacktop??

and i meant holding it at high revs /under load on dyno
Old 14-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Luca
Lukesville

Originally Posted by SiZT
a dyno wouldn't be much use, it would need to be under sustained high rpm usage for some time. Unfortunately for him I think its Will who is going to prove whether the billet gears are up to the job or not.
I shall email Szaybk but im sure his failed...
Old 14-12-2009, 04:28 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp

Originally Posted by Luca
Im going to throw a spanner in the works with a question....

Paul, Dan

If you were to build a new head would you go for a Black Top set up?
as in soild lifters, longer revving and the added tensioner pulley?
hi luca sorry i forget your engine as well , look the orginal question was what are the good and bad points and what ive said is my opinion only , people can take it or leave it if they wish . as for your question luca if i was building a new head then it would be st170 lol but if i was to build a new engine then i would use the whole blacktop as they are more widely available and cheap. if it was going over 500+bhp then the blacktop oil pump, extra belt tensioner , mains caps , baffled sump would not even come into consideration as these would all be replaced with uprated parts as i simply wouldnt want what happened to your engine to happen to me .

cheers paul
Old 14-12-2009, 04:43 PM
AustenW

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally if it had to be a Zetec I'd go ST170 otherwise the 5cyl RS engine or YB in a FWD

Last edited by AustenW; 14-12-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 14-12-2009, 04:44 PM
szabyk RST

Over 500BHP
the dry sump is a good solution ...

I use factory pulley ...

Quick Reply: calling all zetec turbo people!