General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Scottish Independence

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:20 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

http://www.thursdaynext.com/index2.html

in this series of books, wales has been anexed and is a war zone, no one goes in, no one goes out

but, we could also get rid of them northern bits of wales mascarading as liverpool and the like into the bargin

as for stealing resources and bleeding places dry, i'm not sure if that's called colonialism or you are talking about the decepticons
Old 01-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Brian ST-2
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be happy to give an inedependent Scottish government a go.
After all, they can hardly do a worse job than the repeated procession of muppets trawling through Westminster. ( let's face it, they all lie like a paedo on death row until they get the job, then it's ''oh look at the mess that last lot left us''....''we'll have to sort that out before we can keep our pre election promises''... )

At least then you can only complain Brown ( a Scot of course ) fucked up just your country, not ours as well. That's like having a Scot in charge of the English football team.!!!!

I'm not inciting arguement, but if Scotland was indepndent thn England would soon get fed up of it's ever increasing immgrant 'hand out' budget as well. So yes go ahead, re-build the wall ( note no pun or link to Antoine De Bec )
Old 01-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondeo Man
Public Spend VS GDP in Europe

4th Scotland 57.7%
26th England 44.2%

To Add

Gross-Value-Added calculations provided by government statisticians show London with a GVA of 136, South-East England with 115, and Scotland with 99 (100 being the UK average). So the Scots are less productive with then the UK as a whole. [Source: The Economist].

Scottish GDP-PPP/capita is only US$33,680 to England's $38,000 [Source: The Economist].
In those stats, where does money from oil revenue from english companies working off the coast of scotland end up? Does it show on the scottish figures or the english ones?
Old 01-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Ade
Fast Ford snapper

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd like far more integration everywhere... all of these pointless fictional borders are just backward in my opinion.
As for Scotland being a burden, well if the line was a bit further down you would be claiming Manchester was too, or Birmingham!

What we need is a greater spread of wealth across the UK rather than everyone just upping sticks and heading for the south east automatically!
Old 01-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

I say we throw all the Scots onto the Isle of Man. We can then recreate a Jurassic Park style enviroment. I suggest a clear out of food prior to the move in order to create an every man for himself situation.

We can then sell tickets to the Americans, they love seeing stuff like that.

The Welsh can all be moved to the Isle of Wight so that when Londoners want to visit one of these parks they don't feel as if they are mingling too much with the rest of the UK. After all we don't want our posh and cockney troopers feeling vulnerable, bless 'em.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Paddy
As English isn't your first language, I'll forgive the spelling mistake.
doh! rarely i make a spelling mistake. good spot soldier

Originally Posted by rog
and without slating other cities in scotland (who i won't mention), there are some really scummy places that are basically fcked because they have nothing going for them.
He means Dundee
Old 01-12-2009, 11:00 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

ps ROTF@f.e.b.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:02 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
In those stats, where does money from oil revenue from english companies working off the coast of scotland end up? Does it show on the scottish figures or the english ones?
Seeing as they're both from a well respected source I imagine the revenue is showing where it actually goes, GDP figures are usually issued by the Government via the National Office of Statistics but feel free to check

No good claiming the Scots earn it all if they work the rigs but the all the revenue and profit goes businesses in other countries etc etc as it wouldnt contribute to their GDP

Last edited by It's Czech Mate; 01-12-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:08 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Lambchop
ps ROTF@f.e.b.
I'll say no more....
Old 01-12-2009, 11:09 AM
It's Czech Mate

ps ROTF@f.e.b.
Thats gone right over my head....what have I missed?
Old 01-12-2009, 11:11 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Thats gone right over my head....what have I missed?
It's one of the tags.

On second thoughts i'm not so sure why february is funny
Old 01-12-2009, 11:14 AM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

fucking english bastards maybe lol
Old 01-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Csm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Lol

Used to call a workmate F.E.B and sprayed it on his wheelbarrow when i was a landscaper
Old 01-12-2009, 11:20 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Aye that's where i got it from, one of my ex-workmates from Norwich used to get called F.E.B, he was a bit of a psycho, he also got called the Norwich ninja Lol .
Old 01-12-2009, 11:24 AM
beemerbazza23
Part of the Furniture

He means Dundee
Old 01-12-2009, 11:26 AM
It's Czech Mate

Racist bastards
Old 01-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Paddy
Legend

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I hate all these peaceful solutions.

I only suggested walls because I am able to tolerate the Welsh and Scots [someone needs to collect my dustbins] but I'm seriously considering harsher means going by these replies.

Whilst we're at it, I'd like to suggest wiping Leicester and surrounding areas from the map completely with smart bombs. I doubt anyone in their right mind would consider this genocide, more like a humane cull.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Anyone got a link to the Al Murray sketch where he is saying "fucking english barstards" in all different typres of scottish accent, that was classic

Edit, found it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkDYo...rom=PL&index=9

Last edited by Chip; 01-12-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:47 PM
RobL
Advanced PassionFord User

fuck them off if thats what the majority want
theres a lot of jocks who are proud to be british though and want remain that way,could be another potential northern ireland?
Old 01-12-2009, 12:50 PM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I wouldn't say it's anywhere near as bad as that, unless you live in Glasgow. I don't think the majority want it anyway TBH, that's just the way they portray it to try and gain extra support.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:02 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thats a bloody funny clip Chip

Mike
Old 01-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Seeing as they're both from a well respected source I imagine the revenue is showing where it actually goes, GDP figures are usually issued by the Government via the National Office of Statistics but feel free to check

No good claiming the Scots earn it all if they work the rigs but the all the revenue and profit goes businesses in other countries etc etc as it wouldnt contribute to their GDP

Sorry to shatter your illusions but please don't rush to trust anything that the government tells you. Dodgy Iraq dossiers, anyone? or, more relevantly, have a look at this article in daily paper, The Independent", http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...nd-518697.html
which shows just how badly treated the electorate were by our UK government 30 years ago. If you care to search there are plenty of other examples over the years, with more coming out every year under the 30-year rule.

As for GERS and other national statistics, the figures reflect where the tax revenue money goes, not where it comes from.

For myself, I work for a German company with a UK HQ in England so my income tax is classed as English. Similarly, their profits from my activities in Scotland are classed as English revenue.

Three final points:
The Edinburgh parliament site, design, architect and contractors were all selected by London Labour before the Scottish Parliament ever sat, never mind had a say. The disgraceful spiralling costs all came from our Scottish block grant that we would have had anyway - English taxpayers never paid a penny piece towards the ever increasing bill. Unlike the Olympics...

If the oil is worth a given figure, do you think it is better to share that 5 million ways or 60 million ways? Similarly, whatever wealth England is sharing with us, will we miss 5/60ths of that more or less than getting an extra 55/60ths of our own money?

Norway established an Oil Fund years ago in which a small fraction of one percent of their oil revenue was set aside. That fund is now worth something over £200bn and generates more revenue annually than their entire oil industry. With 40 or more years to go, Scotland has been pushing to do the same, but Westminster keep pissing the money against the wall on christ knows what.

To borrow a phrase form an ex Scottish Labour leader, "Bring it on!" (independence that is!)
Old 01-12-2009, 05:00 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

What would happen if the our national borders were closed ?

Mike
Old 01-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

But as thats probably running out now, I say cut scotland free before it becomes a millstone round london's neck, but the same is true of the rest of the uk too, I say we should give independance to everywhere outside of the M25
And what would have happened last year without the rest of UK to bail out London

TBH i think its pathetic idea, anyone who has illousions (sp) of massive oil wealth etc are mad, its running out. Do you think govt on own could have bailed out RBS? Wasnt Iceland held has beacon of light by that crackpot Salmon? Whats happened there?

That guy is of his head, the UK is turning into a small sideline with the rise of mega poplus countries for us to have a bigger shout we are getting closer with Europe, so why on earth Scotland would be better is beyond me? I think he says it to take peoples eyes of what really matters.

Least most Scotts can see the light.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by MikeR
What would happen if the our national borders were closed ?

Mike
Who's borders closed to whom?

I don't know if there are any countries left with closed borders, and it isn't something anyone I know has advocated.

Still can't multiquote but Rhys
Who says the oil is running out? By any measure there is enough there for decades though it will be harder to get it out. That's fine because as the "easy" oil runs out ours becomes ever more valuable and viable.

Iceland isn't built on oil wealth (or any other tangible wealth for that matter) but on borrowings and we know what happened there and here. Why not use Norway as your comparator?

And as for most Scots (note, one T), how do you know that because we've never been allowed to have a say. If it is such a clear-cut rejection, why are Labour, the Tories and the LibDems so dead-set against us even being asked the question? What exactly are they afraid of?

Crackpot Salmon as you call him, (note D on the end) has yesterday announced that they can pick the date and even the wording for the second question, and still they say he's rigging it!

He's even committed, in writing, that if the referendum rejects independence, that would be it for a generation. Unlike the referendum in Ireland where they ran a second a little over a year later when the first attempt produced the "wrong" answer.

Please, do think a little for yourself instead of trotting out the propaganda that the authorities are happy to feed you.

Last edited by Iain Mac; 01-12-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:07 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

if they want true independance then they need to sort out their tax and spending issues first and put it to the population

still won't stop peole from working across the border and paying taxes soemwwhere else, but then you'll just be in the shit if youlive oop north and in wales
Old 01-12-2009, 07:12 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

how do all those other countries smaller than scotland manage? its not all about oil revenue, thats a smokescreen.
theres no reason why scotland couldnt run its own affairs and since were all part of the EU being part of the UK isnt much of a plus point.
yes or no for me? i dont really care either way as ive family on both sides of the border and from other countries as well and the EU sets all our laws anyway.
either way theres far to many mp's, smp's etc that do fuck all but line their own pockets with a huge cut in numbers needed.

Last edited by fuzzy; 01-12-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:20 PM
kennyA
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

They tend to wander up from england anyway, so paddy's wall will stop them getting up to you guys as well as stop you guys getting down to us.

although it might be worth us installing a one way door on this wall now that I think about it, so you end up with anyone seeking asylum who wouldnt profit us economically as we can just pass them over to you then
seeking asylum in Scotland, nobody is that stupid are they?

Anyway it's too wet and cold for the Scots let alone incomers, no need to build a wall.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:20 PM
.Ross.

Well ... Another 30 year left in the North sea .. We dont own the North sea neither does Scotland ... Only revenue is TAX .. Thatcher made sure of that.

Scotland with only 6 million people?

The only other Gold they have is Coal (Shit load in the south west) But they only sell that coal to England. What else? Ship building. Again the only ships to be built are for the Royal Navy.

The amount of Scottish people in the English Army?

Tourisim ... Thats a big one tho.

What about all the Nuclear Powerstations we built? They gonna throw a few Billion back ?

Bad Idea to go alone IMO. Are they thinking about joining the EU?

Last edited by .Ross.; 01-12-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:23 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

we got lots of oil in england,we just cant get to it yet
Old 01-12-2009, 07:25 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

switzerland, austria,denmark,finland and norway are about the same population as scotland. new zealand has much less.
how do they manage?
Old 01-12-2009, 07:27 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

new zealand gets a big wedge of cash from us every year as does oz land
Old 01-12-2009, 07:32 PM
.Ross.

Basically ... All the money that is Put into the UK ecconomy from Scotland doesnt cover the Money we send North of the Border ...

Seem funny to me that tax money has built the country up, Roads, Rail, Nuclear Power stations etc etc .. Now its a case of .. Thank you now piss off??
Old 01-12-2009, 07:33 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

the EU costs us a 9 billion loss every year.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:37 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by fuzzy
the EU costs us a 9 billion loss every year.
the uk or just scotland?
Old 01-12-2009, 07:39 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Originally Posted by .Ross.
Basically ... All the money that is Put into the UK ecconomy from Scotland doesnt cover the Money we send North of the Border ...

Seem funny to me that tax money has built the country up, Roads, Rail, Nuclear Power stations etc etc .. Now its a case of .. Thank you now piss off??
do you have figures for this?
Old 01-12-2009, 07:51 PM
stevie m
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Smile

Originally Posted by Rick Astley
I say we throw all the Scots onto the Isle of Man. We can then recreate a Jurassic Park style enviroment. I suggest a clear out of food prior to the move in order to create an every man for himself situation.

We can then sell tickets to the Americans, they love seeing stuff like that.

The Welsh can all be moved to the Isle of Wight so that when Londoners want to visit one of these parks they don't feel as if they are mingling too much with the rest of the UK. After all we don't want our posh and cockney troopers feeling vulnerable, bless 'em.
Hey ricky boy,have u ever watched BRAVEHEART????? FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by .Ross.
Well ... Another 30 year left in the North sea .. We dont own the North sea neither does Scotland ... Only revenue is TAX .. Thatcher made sure of that.

Scotland with only 6 million people?

The only other Gold they have is Coal (Shit load in the south west) But they only sell that coal to England. What else? Ship building. Again the only ships to be built are for the Royal Navy.

The amount of Scottish people in the English Army?

Tourisim ... Thats a big one tho.

What about all the Nuclear Powerstations we built? They gonna throw a few Billion back ?

Bad Idea to go alone IMO. Are they thinking about joining the EU? Basically ... All the money that is Put into the UK ecconomy from Scotland doesnt cover the Money we send North of the Border ...

Oh dear. How about putting anything up to justify any single aspect of what you have written?

In 30 years Norway have built a fund that should last them forever.

With our population of 5 million, we would be ranked mid-table among the 223 independent countries, so that would make us an average-sized country, not a small one. Norway and others seem to cope just fine and, as I keep telling the wife, size isn't everything!"

Coal is just one of our natural resources and, despite Thatcher's best efforts, it is still an active industry in many parts of the country, not just in the south-west.

Ship-building is in decline - no getting away from it, but as an independent country free to decide whether we want to be in europe or not, we could take our own decisions on where to have public sector vessels like the auxilliary marine, ferries etc built taking proper account of the cost of building elsewhere and having to pay unemployment benefit to our own ship-builders while foregoing their income taxes.

"English" Army be damned - it is still the British Army. The funny thing about it is that the Jocks are very over-represented in the infantry in all major theatres of operations, but the actual military spend is about £4bn per annum light north of the border compared to what it should be.

Tourism will continue to be important to an independent Scotland, but who thinks anyone will stop coming because our politicians are sitting in Edinburgh instead of London?

We didn't ask for the nuclear power stations and have now blocked any new ones - good move in a country with abundant scope for wind/hydro/wave power - but will be stuck with the decommissioning costs unless you want the UK government to come and take their rubbish south of the border.

While they are doing it, they may like to collect the rusting nuclear subs tied up at Rosyth - just a few miles from here and Edinburgh. If they are so safe, why aren't they tied up in Portsmouth, Southampton or on the Thames?

We don't have to join the EU because we are already in and there is no mechanism for us to be ejected on independence. Personally I'd be happy to be out like so many other successful countries happily trading with EU states but not governed by them. Or maybe the remainder of the UK will also be ejected at that time and we all have to re-apply? With most of Europe's oil, wave-power technology, fisheries and who knows what else, do you think the EU would prefer to have Scotland or England as a member?

Show me ANY reliable figures on how much England has paid to build us up, or any plans they have to improve our infrastructure? You mentioned rail. That will be the high speed rail link that is planned to stop at Manchester?

Sorry matey, can't agree with anything you have trotted out here.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:56 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

londons a dirty stinking immigrant hole full of the sort of people who thinks the world gives a fuck about them. your more than welcome to it.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:57 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

mid table eh? better than celtic or rangers in the english premier then?

Quick Reply: Scottish Independence