General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Having a General Anaesthetic. Terrified

Search this Thread

Old 27-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been given general anaesthetic a couple of times now, to be honest you wont feel or notice much, by the time you realise its beginning to work you will be lying asleep, this literally takes 2 or 3 seconds

The tube down your throat goes in once you are 'under', my last operation was 4 1/2 hours long, having pins and plates put in my forearm, the only thing i knew about the tube was that when i came round i had a bit of a sore throat, similar to when you sleep with your mouth open only it lasted a bit longer, no reall drama.

As for not waking up, its extremely unusual... try not to think about it, everyday thousands of people get put to sleep for operations in the uk alone, even more than that on a worldwide scale, how many have you heard of not waking up?

Relax.... you'll be in good hands
Old 27-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Dan1281
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a genral, i broke my wrist in 2 places and had to have surgery i was 17 at the time, fuck knows what happend, i was wheeled on a bed to some room where some doctor said count to 10, i dont think i made it to 3,woke up in a in so much pain that all i could do was scream, then some nurse injected me with something else, pretty sure i woke up like a day or two later, it was all very very wierd
Old 27-11-2009, 06:14 PM
blackford19
Virgin

Not looking forward to wearing the hospital gown
Old 27-11-2009, 06:20 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have only ever had one operation when i got shot by a air rifle,had to have the pellet removed from my wrist,i felt exactly the same mate!

You will get into the pre op part they will give you one injection to help calm you down and relax you(kind of makes you feel drunk!)then they will tell you they are injecting the anesthetic,i tried to count down form 10 got to 8 as far as i can remember thats how quick you go out!next thing i remember is hearing the nurse calling my name to wake me up in the post op room!i felt fine no after effects etc
bouncy
Regular Contributor

I went into hospital about 3yrs ago for surgery on my face,yeh yeh yeh!!! before anyone says anything!!!!

I thought I was having a general and to be fair was shitting myself as i had never been in hospital before. I put the gown on the wrong way round so my tackle was hanging out of the front, strange how you dont feel embarresed in hospital.

Anyway they wheel me into the valeting bay (prep room) and then put a knitting needle type injection thing into my hand "which fooooookn hurt". I asked if this was to put me to sleep he said you aint of to sleep your having just a local because we need you awake when we cut your face open, well to say I wernt scared was a tad understated, I was going to get up and leave. The prep geezer could see I was a little stressed and calmed me down and said the prick in my hand was for a sedative to keep me calm and I would feel like im on a trip!!!! COOL!!!!
Anyway all I can say is, wish I had been given a general. I will tell you what happened after youve had your op, but believe me a general is nothing to worry about matey. Painless and over before you no it!!!!
paceo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blackford19
what have you got to have an operation on?
Old 27-11-2009, 06:21 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

dont forget the leg stocking you have to put on as well!
Old 27-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Please tell me you're not trolling on here after how nice people on PF have been, for once.
Old 27-11-2009, 06:29 PM
blackford19
Virgin

Originally Posted by paceo
what have you got to have an operation on?
My Stomach ...

What's it like waking up in Recovery ? Will i just suddenly open my eyes ?
Old 27-11-2009, 06:30 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

My Stomach ...

What's it like waking up in Recovery ? Will i just suddenly open my eyes ?
no mate you just wake up like you normally would
Old 27-11-2009, 06:37 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

do you have odd shaped or extremely small genitalia? the nurses and docs will be taking pics to laugh at for the staff room walls if you do.
Old 27-11-2009, 06:38 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Originally Posted by Alan_D
Please tell me you're not trolling on here after how nice people on PF have been, for once.
its been surprising hasnt it.
Old 27-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by fuzzy
its been surprising hasnt it.
I've added a tag to help balance things out.
Old 27-11-2009, 06:41 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

being inexperienced in the hospital game i put mine on back to front much to the amusement of the pretty young blonde nurse who called her equally pretty workmates into my curtained of area to laugh at my expense. i was struggling not to get a stiffy standing there in my boxers with 3 pretty ladies helping me put it on correct and tie it up for me. i was standing there thinking good old nhs ,its the best action ive had in a while. i

Last edited by fuzzy; 27-11-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 27-11-2009, 08:41 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by timrud
tabetha, if yo udon't mind me asking, why are you having a shunt in your brain?

Do you have spina bifida?
No,
I don't have MENINGOMYELOCELE, luckily I escaped that.
I am having this as my left ventricle is enlarged and irregular/mishapen due to impact damage, a tree hit my crash helmet at 30mph!!(hit and run drink driver, not me I was the victim), als have parietal lobe displacement, and "inability adjustment" from the front part of the brain.
The reason is mostly precautionary, in case of raised CSF(pressure) in the brain, as I do have
HYDROCEPHALUS EX-VACUO, as a result of the damage.
When the left ventricle is damaged it can studys have shown lead to narrowing/thickening of arteries in the heart and brain, I had my first MI about 4 weeks ago, so now on aspirin and other drugs, I bloody rattle some days 37 tablets a day!, also have to carry a GTN spray now as well.
tabetha
Old 27-11-2009, 09:02 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

bloody hell tabetha 37 tablets a day!can wat you have be improved/cured over time?
Old 27-11-2009, 09:15 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

No not a thing they can do, I have to take drugs, well morphine based to stop the pain of the muscle spasms in the back, so that at least I can get up and walk about and function pretty well, just get suddenly tired and need to sleep there and then, so need to watch the sleep.
I go to bed about 2am each day, get up at 9am, as I don't go to bed until the hypnic jerks and muscle spamsm of the night have stopped, otherwise I just can't sleep, I will in years ahead need to wear a nappy!!, due to incontinence at night from sleep drugs.
I have been prescribed crutches, as knees are knackered, the brain damage doesn't worry me at all, as having damage in this area tends to make sufferers lose all emotions, towards everybody, the worst thing is not recognising people I don't see very often, I have to ask them who they are, but they're all used to it now.
It doesn't actually shorten the life so much as sufferers usually die from a secondary infection as it shuts down the immune system, but in old age, just comes a bit more sudden.
I already have about a 10 second memory span, long term is fantastic, if I walk from my door to the car on the drive, and haven't written down what shopping I want I forget that quick, one or two things no problem, but any more forget it, quite useful cos I can get what I want then!!
There are lots of people far far worse than myself, so I'm very lucky that's how I see it, amazingly I don't fit, as this is very common after severe head trauma, that really would be horrible, but I have a bus pass!!
tabetha

Last edited by tabetha; 27-11-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 27-11-2009, 09:17 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by tabetha
No not a thing they can do, I have to take drugs, well morphine based to stop the pain of the muscle spasms in the back, so that at least I can get up and walk.
I have been prescribed crutches, as knees are knackered, the brain damage doesn't worry me at all, as having damage in this area tends to make sufferers lose all emotions, towards everybody, the worst thing is not recognising people I don't see very often, I have to ask them who they are, but they're all used to it now.
It doesn't actually shorten the life so much as sufferers usually die from a secondary infection as it shuts down the immune system, but in old age, just comes a bit more sudden.
I already have about a 10 second memory span, long term is fantastic, if I walk from my door to the car on the drive, and haven't written down what shopping I want I forget that quick, one or two things no problem, but any more forget it, quite useful cos I can get what I want then!!
There are lots of people far far worse than myself, so I'm very lucky that's how I see it, amazingly I don't fit, as this is very common after severe head trauma, that really would be horrible, but I have a bus pass!!
tabetha

Mate all i can say is
Old 28-11-2009, 01:04 AM
XRdodgybird
Praise the XR!

Don't worry they have reversal stuff if you don't come round naturally, they have to give it to my other half when he has surgery..... he loves his sleep

All it feels like when they give you a general anaesthetic is a cold feeling, spreading from where they administer it, usually the back of your hand.... most people are asleep by 7 (counting back from 10). Mi other half had an operation under general on Monday..... he's a wierd case cos they gave him the anaesthetic, he felt it going up his arm, arm got cold and then it went warm again.... it took 5 mins for him to fall asleep.
Old 28-11-2009, 01:34 AM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had 2 op's on my nose with general.

1st time i remember being taken down, the Nurse was greast as was the Anethisist (bad spelling) Both told me what to feel. Had the Anethesist on my right hand side inserted the needle into the hand, nurse held my hand and talked, as the anestetic went up the arm your arm felt cold (inbetween elbow and shoulder)

You don't need to know what pipe they put into you as it will freak you out, just be glad they never took your Pollock (think thats the term for whats taken from a nose) as it's a messy job.

You wake up cold, plus hang over type symptons. As am a fat cnut i was hungry an hour after.

Depending on OP you might feel ok, after a few hrs, i remember on the last op i was proper cold for 2-3 hrs.

Don't worry tho as it is like a dream then you wake with a hangover.
Old 28-11-2009, 06:26 AM
Elwood
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

How strange this topic should come up.

I'm off to hospital in about 40 mins for a visit to the day surgery unit. I've got have 3 wisdom teeth removed under a general.

I'm not bothered in the slightest. The onlt thing that is bugging me is the empty stomach feeling. Not allowed anything to eat or drink!

I had a hernia operation back when I was 9 years old, and even then the whole procedure wasn't that bad. I don't actually recall that much about the day.
Old 28-11-2009, 06:33 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

remember to take your favourite soft toy with you and when you wake up they will have fixed the toy up with bandages too

Or maybe that was just me cos i was special
Old 28-11-2009, 06:43 AM
Paddy
Legend

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

My brother is the consultant anaesthetist at Birmingham children's hospital. Google him if you like for some of the fascinating papers he's written Fraser or FMJ Harban.

All I will say is, make friends with your anaesthetist. There's HUNDREDS of different ways they can knock you out and if they want to, they can really fuck with your mind whilst you're under
Old 28-11-2009, 08:42 AM
KregRS
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amongst other things, I've had 2 hernia repair ops in the past, 1st was done as day surgery, 2nd I was kept in due to a heart condition, was supposed to go in 1 day and come out the next, was in there few days in the end. Went in afternoon before op, went down at 8 next morning, but didnt come back to ward til 7pm, problems coming round from op, then spent next day and half being monitored.
Old 28-11-2009, 10:03 AM
timrud
BANNED
BANNED

Wow tabetha.... pritty mental.
Old 28-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Dlatch!
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by Paddy
My brother is the consultant anaesthetist at Birmingham children's hospital. Google him if you like for some of the fascinating papers he's written Fraser or FMJ Harban.

All I will say is, make friends with your anaesthetist. There's HUNDREDS of different ways they can knock you out and if they want to, they can really fuck with your mind whilst you're under

the fuck with your mind bit is worrying but how well a general will go is due to the skill of the anaesthetist, i have been knocked out a few times which usually went fine apart from one time when the anaesthetist must have got the dose wrong as i woke up with a sore chest (felt like someone had been sitting on me) was very groggy for 3 days after which was unusual as i normally come round fast.
they evaded my questions on what happened as i knew at the time something was not right, eventually they told me i did not want to come out of the anaesthetic, they would not tell me what they did though prob better not to know.
i still remember at the time when the anaesthetist had put the needle in my hand that he was clumsy and then he asked me to count back from 10 i only got to 9 and was instantly out which is unusual as you usually feel it go up your arm before you go out.
that was 10 years ago and have been knocked out since with no problems but the skill of your anaesthetist determines how well it will go.
Old 28-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Ellie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It'll be fine.
The milky-white emulsion is Propofol, which is used as a general anasthetic.
Jacko was using that for how ever long, administered by a general physician and with vital stats unmonitored. (yeah, no wonder he died in the end)
You will have a team of highly skilled people.
Pre-meds are usually diazepam/lorazepam-either of which are rather lovely!

I used to go to the theatre recovery ward to deliver morphine injections 2-3 times a week in my last job, and not once did i see anything remotely interesting happen.
Everyone just lay there asleep with an oxygen mask on to bring them round, or they just lay there chilling! There is someone with you all the time until you are awake and comfortable, then they take you back tothe normal ward.
Old 28-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Roscco
Livin' [H]ard & Fast

^^^ As Ellie said.

I think you'll enjoy it.
When i broke my wrist i was knocked out with the milky stuff described above. When i came round i seriously considered giving my wrist a REALLY good shake so i could get it again.

I'm that way inclined though.
Old 28-11-2009, 05:11 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

The worst pipe by far to get out is the catheter, ie the one that goes up your willy, you'd scream if you saw the size of the balloon bit that has to be pulled out afterwards, it made my eyes water, and speak like a girly a while.
I remember the nose pipes coming out as they did hurt, but don't remember the intubation pipe at all, most likely still in coma then, they take that out when the machine is turned off to see if you can breathe unaided.
The you get a dopey nurse trying to "unscrew" the pins in your lower legs from the traction, I had the threaded sort, and she was going the wrong way, ie CUTTING a new thread, F**K that hurt.
tabetha
Old 28-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Ellie
lorazepam-either of which are rather lovely!
Except when its lorazepam IM injection by force
Old 28-11-2009, 05:47 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When you're under, don't walk towards the light Blackbaws... you'll never come back.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 28-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

1-2-3 BLACK
Simple as that, no pain, no stress, just nothing till you wake up !!!
Old 28-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Elwood
How strange this topic should come up.

I'm off to hospital in about 40 mins for a visit to the day surgery unit. I've got have 3 wisdom teeth removed under a general.

How was it?

I had 3 out in april odd this year and it was fucking awful. Bottom 2 were impacted. Both of them got infected. One top was removed but the other hadnt come down so got that to look forward to one day

2 the OP, do you worry so much about everything?
do you double bag when you have sex?!
Old 29-11-2009, 12:53 AM
Mk1-stu
Patronus

with the injection to me it felt like i was pissed and just dozed off, waking up is just like waking up in the morning, only your in a strange room, which freaked me right out ! I had to be put out so they could reset the bones in my left arm a few years back after i managed to snap them both..

I hope for your sake they pull the tube out before you come round though. I spent 5 days in intensive care after 'dying' twice - i had a seriously fucked up asthma attack and passed out at the side of the road, Only by pure luck that a police car happened to be coming down the road and saw me go down or i wouldn't be here today ! They had to put me back out 2 days after i blacked out, as i started coming round my body decided it didn't want to be awake and my heart stopped. After the 5 days they were pulling the tube out of my throat as i came round and i can tell you it's not a nice feeling at all and fuck me does it make you feel rough.

You should be fine if you're only gonna be under for a few hours, unless you're going into Basildon hospital, in which case... Get it transfered to somewhere else.
Old 29-11-2009, 05:44 AM
Dexy
DTFTW

Originally Posted by tabetha
then when in the op theatre a mask is put over you whilst you swear blind you can count to ten, but no one ever does.
pmsl so true

I had a hernia op when i was 18, didnt feel a thing in the hospital, apart frpm the birds arse when she came to visit

You wont feel a thing
Old 29-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Elwood
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by Lambchop
How was it?

I had 3 out in april odd this year and it was fucking awful. Bottom 2 were impacted. Both of them got infected. One top was removed but the other hadnt come down so got that to look forward to one day
Procedure went really well.

Had to wait until 1.45pm to be moved into the anaethesia room. I was chatting to the pretty nurse about my job when anaethesia then kicked in. I started to feel light headed, look at the light above me moving in circles and thought "Ooops, not good".

The next thing I remember is hearing a constant hissing. I gradually wake up and realise it's the oxygen mask over my mouth. The nurse to the side of me makes sure I'm breathing ok, then wheels me back to the ward, where I start to eat and drink again. Around two hours after waking up, I'm in the car with my other half and heading home.

Slept really well last night. Only thing is waking up this morning with a really aching jaw. No pain to speak of, just akwardness in keeping the soft foods out of the sockets.
Old 29-11-2009, 02:07 PM
biglee
Audio specialist

my first op was the one on my brain..i was so scared i nearly bottled it on the way down to theatre, i was on the gas and started to feel much better more calm then next thing i know, i woken up with a horrid headache and feelin a bit odd.. but it was instant for me.. 8 hours for eveyone else.
just remember these guys and girls do this thousands of times every week and are very good at their jobs, and also remember you are monitored very closely throughout all of it..