General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

taxi drivers advice pls

Search this Thread

Old 27-11-2009, 06:49 PM
utternutter
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default taxi drivers advice pls

ok well, been lookcing into this as a sideline to what i already to and have been looking at the gov websites for my area, private hire or hackney etc

whats the difference to applying for them is the hackney harder?

i know hackney is better as you can tout for business

i basicly took in part exchange a doblo taxi complete with all lights meters etc its a wheelchair friendly one with ramp at rear

so i is thinking........

hmmn maybe for a couple hundred notes etc i can have this licence sorted, deposit on insurance and im off. if works shite i can go out at night and earn something

anhy general advice? i do know that in my area hackneys have to be white and mines blue so if went that route id repaint it. however private hire can be any colour,

i know as fair as the crb checks and dvla checks they do will be with tolorences

so how hard or how much hassle is it? also i know they test you on local knowledge how hard?

lee
Old 27-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I did private hire up here in Oldistan,
all jobs booked through the office etc so you had some sort of piece of mind regarding your customer but not always the case.
To earn the money you gotta do the shit hours so bye bye social life.

It may be worth looking to see if any drivers want to rent it off you, either half bag or just a set rate each week, I know a few guys who have 4 or 5 out to rent who dont actually drive themselves now.
Old 28-11-2009, 08:35 AM
utternutter
BANNED
BANNED

i did think of renting it out but will more than likely be more hassle than its worth
Old 28-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Neil Clark
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive Hackney (Peugeot E7) and rent two taxi's out also in Derby (looking for a third). Been doing it 4-5 years

PM me if you like with any questions....
Old 28-11-2009, 02:27 PM
utternutter
BANNED
BANNED

well its as per my initsal post regarding questions, so would i have to put the car through the local test or whatever it is to rent it out? would i have to be registered as a private hire or hackney to do so?

if its simple enough i may well apply for it
Old 28-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Neil Clark

Originally Posted by utternutter
well its as per my initsal post regarding questions, so would i have to put the car through the local test or whatever it is to rent it out? would i have to be registered as a private hire or hackney to do so?

if its simple enough i may well apply for it
Every single council is different!

You WILL need it tested by your local council, and you will probably need a badge to plate vehicle

Every council have a list of vehicles they allow on, try your local council!, mine wont allow one of those vehicles....
Old 28-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Neil Clark

Also do you want to cleaning up sick at 3am on the side of the road.......

ALL taxi drivers have a sicker at some point, i've had about 4 i think, i've also had some VERY odd things going off in the back....

Trending Topics

Old 28-11-2009, 02:48 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Big G
To earn the money you gotta do the shit hours so bye bye social life.

It may be worth looking to see if any drivers want to rent it off you, either half bag or just a set rate each week, I know a few guys who have 4 or 5 out to rent who dont actually drive themselves now.
a mate of mine does exactly that,he has over 120 cabs on the game and the term for it is jockying,the driver pays a set fee for everything car related inc maintenence and parts and insurance and breakdown just not fuel or radio,mostly its the dregs of society that do that so its a job keeping them all in check. there are some lads who just can't be bothered owning there own car and like being looked after but tbh if you can't scrape Ł1200 quid for a y or 51 plate diesel vectra you have no hope.

anyone contemplating it i say good luck but watch out for the and non payers,all the ones around here now have cctv so you can watch in slo mo the action the back seat gets
Old 28-11-2009, 02:59 PM
steves24V's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont know the age of you taxi but in my area you can not put a new taxi plate on a car older than 3 years, If the cars been px'd against something else i guess the owner tansferred his plate to the new car.

I do the taxi test's for the local council, Its like a MOT but with extra checks like window's work over all condition, correct meter, jack, first aid, fire extingursher have to all be there plus a full size spare wheel.
Old 28-11-2009, 04:00 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

rules are different council to council,my local cuntcil has started dishing out hackney licences to new lads on the proviso they have a brand new cab,there was fucking uproar as a hackney plate was somthing you could sell for big money as there was only about a 100 black cabs on the game in chester. we had all the black cabs doing a go slow around the town centre and now theres mushes from other areas turning up hoping to make a killing but its dog eat dog.
my mate with the whole fleet of cabs has from 2001 to 2005 mainly,i think the oldest is a x plate,if a driver spends more a week they get a better minicab.
its vectras,omegas,mondeo's,octavias and passats and 406's mostly round here with a pile of them peugeot expert eurobus's and tranny 7 seaters,+torneos.
Old 28-11-2009, 04:55 PM
utternutter
BANNED
BANNED

southampton would be my one i spose, i just cant think what to do with it, either sell as a ongoing taxi, try use it myself, or strip bits off turn into a normal car, half decent spac chariots seem to make reasonable money, id have to change the steering wheel etc though

shes a propper spac chariot......... check out this bad boy

ramps quite smart though, i can imagine its superb if u have someone disabled in the family
Old 28-11-2009, 06:08 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

theres very good money in special needs transport,a lad i know who is into allsorts in chester from post offices to newsagents to garages owned a black hackney cab and he would take special needs kids across the country for big dough and the council fuckers would be paying,iirc from chester to newcastle geordie land was 300 quid.
Old 29-11-2009, 10:52 AM
utternutter
BANNED
BANNED

funny as fuck last night i went to shop near town centre came out was sat in car about to roll a fag and some geezzer got in back and said weston please mate

how tempted was i to click on the meter

not sure if its wortht he risk tho, quite tempted to have a sniff about with it towards chrimbo tho at night bet theres plenty of money to be earned
Old 29-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by utternutter
southampton would be my one i spose, i just cant think what to do with it, either sell as a ongoing taxi, try use it myself, or strip bits off turn into a normal car, half decent spac chariots seem to make reasonable money, id have to change the steering wheel etc though

shes a propper spac chariot......... check out this bad boy

ramps quite smart though, i can imagine its superb if u have someone disabled in the family

Theres a guy up here with a plated spazbus abit like that, all he does is a school run to 2 disabled kids, piece of piss and good earner as its set rate on contract, have a nosey around too see if theres any School contracts going, they can bring in decent money.