General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

bleeding brakes - citroen dispatch?

Search this Thread

Old 19-11-2009, 08:07 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts
Default bleeding brakes - citroen dispatch?

is this the most difficult vehicle to ever bleed the brakes on?

took my works van in to ats (company has account) for new discs and pads on friday morning.

im still to get it back. they said that they had problems bleeding the brakes. new master cylinder needed...

was sposed to be ready tuesday and its not. some crap about a brake line had cracked and was blocking the fluid passing.. i didnt know know that was possible as when thy crack, they leak!

anyway, a guy has socalled spent 2 days trying to bleed them and still not managed it...

i think they are full of shit tbh, but are they missing something? other than braincells?

ta
Old 19-11-2009, 11:23 AM
NEO™®©
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if they change the rear wheel cylinders then unless you get main dealer ones the arent exactly the same as the pistons sit slightly further back than the originals hence giving the feeling that it wont bleed out or that the master is fooked

Dave
Old 19-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

cheers dave, they said they cleaned the rears thats all.

well, i still havnt had a call to say its done, and im on a day oof, so ill get it tomoz if they manage it!
Old 19-11-2009, 04:16 PM
bouncy
Regular Contributor

Done loads of discs and pads on these vehicles, never had a problemo!!!!

Straight forward job so someones foooooked up!
Old 23-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

forgot to update over the weekend!

the last set of discs and pads i fitted myself, but these silly cunts have tried to replace the brake fluid too and that is where the trouble has started.

i took my van in on the 13th and i still dont have it back!

had a call friday that it was ready, so went over, took all my stuff out the hire van and went on my way, pulled out ats carpark and about 1/4 mile down the road, where i put my foot on the brake nice and early as the of course the pads and discs need to bed in.

all i can say is thank fuck they adjusted the handbrake!

nearly stuffed into the back of a corsa!

the pedal goes halfway down befroe anything happens, and when it does, there is very little braking effort and the pedal hits the floor.

so i take it back to ats...

the guy there says that i need to do a few hundred miles for them to bed in and it was fine when he took it for a test drive.

i said, look mate, if you think thats fine then your more stupid than you look! the thing is fucking dangerous and im not driving it, so get it sorted!

they did then go on to say that citroen use some software to plug in, that opens all the valves in the abs block, and they dont have this... so told me to take it to citroen.

they got told to fuck off, and if needed, they can take it there as im not!

so it went in 11 days ago for discs and pads, so far they have fitted discs and pads, a new master cylinder, and new osf calliper, a new osf brake hose and 3 tyres!

and i stiull dont have it back!

useless fucking cunts!
Old 23-11-2009, 09:11 PM
gup
Advanced PassionFord User

unless they let the circuit go dry then you wouldnt have to use the computer to bleed the brakes
you only use the laptop (pps)
when you have changed the abs block or need to re code it
i work for peugeots so out expert van are prob the same system and we've never had a problem but some vans do suffer the servos leaking giving that spongy feeling
are they using a vacum or pressure bleeder
Old 23-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

i have no idea how they are trying to do it mate, all i do know is that they have royally fucked it up!

they said they changed the master, and it was the same and it didnt fit right, so they changed it back.....

i think they are full of shit too, as they said they replaced the brake hose as it had cracked and was causing a blockage. funny how if a solid pipe cracks, it leaks as they are not double skinned etc. and its the front flexi they have changed anyway!!

also the pedal squeaked like fuck after they had been at it, and even if they do sort the bleeding and the pedal still is, they can keep it till they sort out the squeak, as i do over 1k miles a week, it was pissing me off in about 2 miles and didnt do it before hand!
Old 23-11-2009, 09:19 PM
rstdave
PassionFord Post Troll

Fuckin on the deck when phil told me about your 'braking issue' after you picked the van up fudge......jesus christ can your company not just get an account with a bloody garage of somesort, that Ats seem to employ the most useless grease monkeys the job centre can offer, even a couple of tyres seems to be an all day job everytime phil goes in lol!!!
Old 23-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

well, they had it a week before i went back the first time, so must have fitted a tyre a day as it now has 3 spankers fitted... only went in for brakes
Old 23-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

its another reason why i will do everything myself on my own cars, cos at least if i fuck it up, i only have 1 person to blame...
Old 23-11-2009, 09:26 PM
rstdave
PassionFord Post Troll

Dear oh fuckin dear......the joys of working for a big company lol, if you were paying you'd go absolutely nuts wouldn't you, they should stick to tyres those places i think!!
Old 24-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Eagle
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

only ever take mine to shitroen.. nice to be able to shout at a main dealer if they screw it up .. tbh they aint a bad bunch...
Old 24-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

it has its services at citroen, but they make us go to ats for brakes etc...

well, i phoned up today... still aint fucking ready!

they are no fitting.... a master cylinder... they tried one last week, but it didnt fit properly or something..

its really taking the piss now. i also told them that if the brake pedal still squeaked when i eventually go to get it, it will be staying!

guy said, its probably run dry of fluid... hang on you cunt, its how they tried to give me it back!

jeebus wept...
Old 01-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

well, i still dont have my van back

it was at ATS till yesterday, when they simply said, we cant fix it. can you get it recovered to somewhere that can...

fucking useless cunts have also now replaced ALL brake lines, and they still cant bleed the brakes, after fitting yet another master cylinder!

they now reckon that the abs ecu is fucked, thats the reason....

so, i belive it is now at the citroen garage in swindon, where hopefully it will be fixed

all they had to do was fit front discs and pads... its had:

new front discs
new front pads
cleaned rears
new osf calliper
new osf brake hose
new master cylinder (didnt fit?)
god knows how much brake fluid
another master cylinder
all new brake hoses
and 3 new tyres

and it STILL doesnt fucking work!

CUNTS!

im getting a bit pissed off now as you can imagine, as im currently rolling in a peugeot bipper, the smallest van in the world...
Old 01-12-2009, 10:01 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

don't pay for anything other than tell the main dealer to charge ats for the work they need to do

you can't have a van off the road for so long and expect to have to fork out for a replacement, they cost time and mone to sort so i'd be sending them the bill
Old 01-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

payment side is out of my hands dojj, i have told my company however that they are taking the piss, especially as the first time they actually let me drive off with no brakes, they said if it was still spongy i would have to take it citroen....!
Old 01-12-2009, 10:37 PM
dojj

they've given you an unsafe vehicle to drive, causing you to have a near accident

throw the book at them mate, i would if it was one of our vans and kiwk fit had made a mess of it, they are supposed to do all our work for brakes and tyres and steering etc even though the vans are still mainly under warranty, but when the guy said 2you shoudl alway shave a bit of play in the steering rack (there was about an inch of play in the steering wheel before you had movement at either wheel) otherwise you would feel every pot hole and lump in the road you hit" i decided that he was a clueless fuckwit and never went back there again

ford then said that the rack was fooked and they'd come and collect it, they sent a recovery truck out to get it and you could hear the "knock" as the bits of rack inside the rack were twanging off against each other
Old 02-12-2009, 06:18 AM
Eagle
Super Moderator

ahhh a nice bipper

we have to get everything done at citroen .. including tyres ... now our lease contract states like for like ... problm is no one stocks the original tyres so the first one took 2 months to get ... the second one took 3 weeks ... they have had to pay a tyre place for 4 to be in stock at all times after by boss ripped em a new arse hole on the fone still takes em a day to fit a tyre though
Old 02-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

fucking right, the other ATS in swindon wanted my van 3 days to fit a pair of tyres!

cos my company are tight cunts, they will only fit budgets, and of course noone stocks those...

anyway, dropped by citroen tonight to get some paperwork off the van, and they have fitted.....

a fooking master cylinder and servo!

said the servo was fooked cos it was full of fluid... hmm, ats tried to fit 2 masters to it...

so sounds like they have royally fucked it.

the bill from citroen alone is almost Ł1k!

now, if i just told ats to fit front discs and pads, why did they try to bleed the brakes too? as this is the major cause of all the problems...
Old 03-12-2009, 02:15 PM
dojj

forward the bill to ats
Old 03-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Eagle
Super Moderator

ouch....
Old 03-12-2009, 04:42 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i havent read the whole thread, so dont shoot me down lol,

it sounds like they have turned the seals in the master cylinder when bleeding the brakes,

quite common and the reason why you should vaccum bleed them. rather than pumping the pedal.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:44 PM
pee vee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Did you get it back tonight Fudge as Citroen said you could? ?
Old 03-12-2009, 05:16 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Which ATS fudgey?
Old 03-12-2009, 05:55 PM
pee vee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Oh dear!!! that thing aint comin back any time soon! LOL

just got off the phone to Fudge
Old 03-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

matt, the one at cheney manor.

as philip has said, i popped in last night to get some paperwork and they said it will be ready today....

so i gets there at 5.45pm...

to be told. hmm, we phoned your company at 9.30 this morning to tell them that the servo is on back order from citroen...

i says fucking joy... so how long... possibly get it on the 16th of dec!

so that means i would have been without the thing for over a month.

not acceptable in my book, so i hope my company will go back to ATS and get them to foot the bill for all repairs, and the hire van, and my inconvenience

as im only firing on 3 cylinders at work at the mo, as i just cant get everything off my van into the bipper, its already jammed to the roof with kit....

which means having to order more parts for another return visit etc...
Old 03-12-2009, 07:13 PM
T3ORA
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by James @ M Developments
i havent read the whole thread, so dont shoot me down lol,

it sounds like they have turned the seals in the master cylinder when bleeding the brakes,

quite common and the reason why you should vaccum bleed them. rather than pumping the pedal.
wot that man said
Old 03-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

i have no idea how they tried to bleed them, but what i do know is that they have fucked it!
Old 03-12-2009, 08:26 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Fudgey
matt, the one at cheney manor.
not surprised! most of them in there are school leavers aint they?
Old 15-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

right, picked the van up from citroen last night after having a new master cylinder and brake servo fitted

the brake pedal is still going at least halfway down before anything happens. but it was on brand new discs and pads. i got one of the techs to take it out with me and see what he said.

we came to the conclusion that it would be a good idea to bed in the brakes and go from there.

so i took it away. today i have done about 250 miles so plent of braking, the van will stop, but the pedal is no better. got the abs to cut in a few times and it dives left, but that could be due to road camber..

anyway, im still not happy with it so took it back tonight and the tech came out for a spin again, him driving.

the brakes do work, but it seems as if they have air in, or the servo is still not working..?

i have looked for air leaks etc and cant find any. its going back to them tomoz morning and hopefully they will test the vac on the servo pump, then they will re bleed the brakes (with a vac unit) and if that is ok, fit some genuine citroen pads.

i cant see how the pads will make a difference to the pedal travel, but if thats what they want to do then fuck it, im not paying. i just want a van that i dont shit myself in every time i need to brake!

if you brake, then come off and back on a couple of times it does pump the pedal up ok, but it still wont stop very well.... so i dont think its air in the system.

conclusion: ATS are total and utter useless cunts!
Old 15-12-2009, 09:59 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Jesus wept Dan I can't beleive this is still going on!!
Old 15-12-2009, 10:03 PM
pee vee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

the saga continues!
Old 15-12-2009, 10:17 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

its getting right on my fucking tits i tell thee!

got rid of the bipper and asked for a bigger van....

we shall see eh...

im out of ideas as to what the problem is, other than ats!
Old 16-12-2009, 06:24 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by Fudgey
right, picked the van up from citroen last night after having a new master cylinder and brake servo fitted

the brake pedal is still going at least halfway down before anything happens. but it was on brand new discs and pads. i got one of the techs to take it out with me and see what he said.

we came to the conclusion that it would be a good idea to bed in the brakes and go from there.

so i took it away. today i have done about 250 miles so plent of braking, the van will stop, but the pedal is no better. got the abs to cut in a few times and it dives left, but that could be due to road camber..

anyway, im still not happy with it so took it back tonight and the tech came out for a spin again, him driving.

the brakes do work, but it seems as if they have air in, or the servo is still not working..?

i have looked for air leaks etc and cant find any. its going back to them tomoz morning and hopefully they will test the vac on the servo pump, then they will re bleed the brakes (with a vac unit) and if that is ok, fit some genuine citroen pads.

i cant see how the pads will make a difference to the pedal travel, but if thats what they want to do then fuck it, im not paying. i just want a van that i dont shit myself in every time i need to brake!

if you brake, then come off and back on a couple of times it does pump the pedal up ok, but it still wont stop very well.... so i dont think its air in the system.

conclusion: ATS are total and utter useless cunts!

all that's doing is draining the air from the servo pump (assuming it's a diseasal? ) and therefore making you press the pedal harder to give you the same stopping power, so essentially fuck all

if it's got a new servo onit, do you think that they've aligned the actuator rod from the pedal correctly?
it may have a bit missing which effectivly means you've pressed the pedal but because there is a big gap in the middle nothing happens until you get to the point of it contacting the piston in the m/c?
Old 16-12-2009, 06:53 PM
gup
Advanced PassionFord User

ask them to check that the vacum pump is working correctly
is your hand brake high at all (if its still got drums on the back)
Old 17-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

dojj, citroen replaced the servo and master cylinder.

gup i asked them to check the vac pump and that is fine apparrently.

ats adjusted the handbrake, so it will gold on 1 or 2 clicks now, and does lock the wheels ok on the move lol.

i collected it from citroen earlier, as they have rebled the system 3 times now so they say and they are putting down to non genuine citroen pads fitted. they tried to deglaze them? ive done less than 300 miles since they were fitted i cant see if they are glazed...

anyway, i had to take it back to ats tonight, as my work wont pay citroen anymore money, if it needs new pads, ats can do it as they fitted them the first time round...

the pedal did feel a bit better, but the brakes were still shit....

hopefully they will replace the pads and it will be ok... but i cant see it tbh..

ats said they use unipart, who supply citroen and ford etc!?!
Old 17-12-2009, 06:59 PM
bouncy
Regular Contributor

Unipart do not supply citroen their brakes. If these are unipart brakes take them off and through them in the bin, they are shite. I fitted a set to a citroen a few years ago, only because I was on my way to brands and the only supplier that had them in stock was unipart. After 6 months they still hadnt bedded in and needed to do an emergency stop. No matter how hard I pressed the pedal the brakes would not lock up and I ended up in a ditch.
I made some enquiries and recieved info from an ex unipart rep who told me how shite their brakes are. I complained and recieved a full refund- no questions asked!!!!!

I will never never use these brakes again!!!!!

Oh its Bendix, that supply citroen, Unipart just buy the discs in from taiwan or summat like that

Last edited by bouncy; 17-12-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 17-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

ah right, cheers mate.

i fitted the last set of discs and pads myself, only qh stuff from a factors but were 100 times better than whats on there now.

it has had brakes from the same ats before the ones i fitted and they were ok...
Old 17-12-2009, 10:39 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

suppose if you drive out of citroen and straight into the back of a 3dr requireing slightly finishing off parked outside and put in a claim that would take the shine off things
Old 17-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

pmsl!

Quick Reply: bleeding brakes - citroen dispatch?