General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Oh dear my Xbox has broken again......

Search this Thread

Old 14-11-2009, 06:15 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Angry Oh dear my Xbox has broken again......

Someone may remember this topic I posted Dec last year when I got Red ring of death when Cod WAW come out on the exact week it was double xp points for everyone:

https://passionford.com/forum/comput...box-360-a.html

Anyway despite all the Xbox v PS3 debates recently kept it to myself that my console drive had slowly been slipping and not reading discs. Last week Forza 3 took 6 attempts to load up and this week just as the new Call of Duty came out it stopped all together, I think COD games are cursed.

I still had just over a years warranty left but heard it would cost you if it wasn't the RROD so I decided to strip it breaking not only the seal on the inner case but also the one on the 20Gb BenQ dvd drive itself. Basically I cleaned the laser with a cloth with a fair bit of pressure and also moved the laser and now it works. Before I did that though I ordered an Xbox Elite with the 120Gb drive but I was so close to buying a PS3. My original one will definitely need a new drive soon I think but if this Elite gets RROD in under a year I'm going to seriously consider selling both and getting the Playstation whilst its away for repair. A new DVD drive is only about £20 but its not like PC's where you can just swap, you need to extract the drive key or swap the new chip board which is inside the metal drive case for the old one so the motherboard takes it. Not too hard but its more pissing about when you just want to play online etc.

Shame as it is IMO the best games console and best online/online environment and I don't mind been without it for a week per year but if its going to keep fucking up every time a top new game comes out then enough is enough. Even though I know the PS3 isn't as good it is still a good console and I reckon if I didn't hear about their servers for games being 3rd party and not their own (like Microsofts are) (with Mw2 being off) then I would have bought one this week. On the plus side though at least now I have one for the lounge and one for upstairs with the PC's so I can just move the HDD instead of loads of cables etc.

Just got to ring up Microshit now and get them to send me the HDD transfer kit to put my stuff on the new one. Lets hope this console is better but I will be installing my main games to the hard disk just to keep the wear down especially as its the 2nd biggest fault after red ring.
Old 14-11-2009, 06:20 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Gutted mate, had the red rings on mine suddenly, did the x-clamp fix and its been fine, touch wood !

It does seem that the Xbox isn't very reliable when it comes to use but from the few I've had in bits a lot of could be dust etc as mine wasn't that bad but some we had in bit look like someone emptied a hoover bag in there !

The 360 IS a far better gaming console than a Ps3 though, used both units a lot and the only thing the PS3 wins on is the built in Blu Ray which understandably makes it a far better purchase for some people.
Old 14-11-2009, 06:21 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bah bah bah, another one bites the dust

2 years, 11 months, and 28 days since I bought my 60gb PS3 and still running just like it did the day I bought it. :P

I just need a bigger HDD thou

Hmm, 500gb ones for £80, yes please

Last edited by MadMac; 14-11-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 14-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Robs Frst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Oh no not another 1 lol,
My ps3 still going strong
Old 14-11-2009, 06:29 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Actually I am gonna start a thread on this one...
Old 14-11-2009, 06:29 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

my recent xbox elite needed changed 24 hours after purchase. new ones going well though, 3 weeks use so far with no problems....
Old 14-11-2009, 06:35 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyBravo
The 360 IS a far better gaming console than a Ps3 though, used both units a lot and the only thing the PS3 wins on is the built in Blu Ray which understandably makes it a far better purchase for some people.

Agreed and have to say I'd be gutted if I was FORCED into making the switch as I specifically held off getting the 360 until the PS3 came out so I could make the choice right. Never owned the original Xbox but this one is good, guess I'd just have to start over on the PSN system if it happens.

Originally Posted by MadMac
I just need a bigger HDD thou

Yeah the extra space does come in handy.
Old 14-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Retro Al
RWD IS KING

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not good,get ps3 bought and join the rest of us
Old 14-11-2009, 06:42 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by RETRO_AL_
Not good,get ps3 bought and join the rest of us
I'm not sure on the stats but generally people I speak to have 360's over PS3's which tells me which one is the prefered games console

I didn't buy a 360 for any specific game but as it turns out there have been some awesome games out that are not on the PS3, a large amount of people claim to own a PS3 solely to play Gran Turismo when it eventually comes out but Forza 2 was what GT would of been and IMO with Forza 3 now out they know they have their work cut out to improve on that, especially as they have been talking about the new Gran Turismo since before the 360 was even released !
Old 15-11-2009, 05:46 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

I've got both, can't fault either

YET
Old 15-11-2009, 05:51 PM
Ricky ST

they might be prone to dying but imo for online play its simply leagues in front of PSN.

Never had any bother with my PS3, but play the 360 more often. ive had my second 360 for 3 yrs now and not had bother with it so far.

And anyway if we wanted everything to work perfectly 100% of the time and not give us any hassle we wouldn't be driving some of the cars we do would we.....
Old 15-11-2009, 06:04 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

come on skeg come on over you know you want to, promise i wont say i told you so when you do xx
Old 15-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Elvis
Hunka Hunka Burning Love

if you want to replace yours, i have a modded one and a non modded one you can have for £30each for the console on its own, both hdmi ones, pm me if interested
Old 15-11-2009, 06:51 PM
jammy86
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

£30 for an x360?? Its worth buying at that price just to use as a media center!

JAmes.