General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

How PayPal Scams Work, - BE SAFE

Search this Thread

Old 30-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Elvis
Hunka Hunka Burning Love

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How PayPal Scams Work, - BE SAFE

A friend of mine for done over for £120 on another forum. So we decided how to work out how these scammers do it.
This has been posted up to help safeguard other members.
First, note Paypals buyer protection is bullshit.
If opened up a Paypal account in the name of Elvis Presley, At my home address, and added my bank card. This allowed my card to be accepted, as they verify the address.
When the account was 2 days old, My friend sent me £50 for a made up item, 7 days later he contacts paypal, However as soon as I got the money, I withdrew it to my bank account, then I removed my card details, then changed address and phone number on the account. After the money was in my bank account, I went and closed my paypal account.

So with in 7days, I had the money in my bank account, my card and all my other details removed apart from the name, But who will come after Elvis Presley for money .

Whilst paypal dispute was going on, I used the same details (card etc) and opened another Paypal account! The dispute made the paypal account I closed re-open, however, they had a false address, false phone number, and no card or bank details, so my paypal account was overdrawn. When the dispute was settled in favour of the buyer(my mate) they never refunded any money as there was none in my account…
Next step.. With the second account I opened we did exactly the same however I withdrew £40 into my account and then left the £10 in my paypal balance and never closed the account, when the dispute this time was over my mate got £10 minus Paypal fees!!!!!

So all in all, you can scam someone very easily with a false name and when you got the money just change the details making you untraceable, the police could trace you but they don’t care about this low level stuff.

Only buy from trusted forum members.

Last edited by Elvis; 30-10-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 30-10-2009, 12:28 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

cheers for the info elvis but you have just posted a "how to scam people with paypal" thread .

i no it's good intentions but this is a how to , it's wrong they still take there fee's they are such robbing bastards
Old 30-10-2009, 12:31 PM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

cheers for the info but as said....you have just showed people how do it themselves

x
Old 30-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Elvis
Hunka Hunka Burning Love

Yeah, maybe so but the people that way inclined already know it...
So if everyone knows how it works, you can protect yourself.
Old 30-10-2009, 12:34 PM
TANGO_FSI
fiesta whore

its not exactly hard to work out how to do it yourself is it really!!!!
Old 30-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Billy_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Nice one elvis!
Old 30-10-2009, 12:48 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Elvis
Yeah, maybe so but the people that way inclined already know it...
So if everyone knows how it works, you can protect yourself.
well like i said cheers for putting it up but it does seem like people that wouldn't of thought twice now might get tempted.

Originally Posted by stunning_fsi
its not exactly hard to work out how to do it yourself is it really!!!!
no not if you have half a mind but for the people that are stupid and now have the knowledge will be the ones trying it out for a bit of extra cash.
Old 30-10-2009, 01:03 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

my advise is, if you want to buy anything of any value; pay on credit card - guaranteed protection
Old 30-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LHD220Turbo
my advise is, if you want to buy anything of any value; pay on credit card - guaranteed protection
Only where the item costs between £100 and £30,000 and you are financing a maximum of £25,000, though you don't have to use the card to pay the whole amount. And obviously private individuals can't accept credit card payments.

I don't know that you would enjoy this protection if using PayPal but paying by credit card - the card issuer becomes jointly liable for the goods/services you bought, but if PayPal are only contracted to forward some money and do it, I don't see that the card issuer has any liability for a problem with a fourth party? It would be interesting to find out for sure though.
Old 31-10-2009, 03:45 AM
reisskahn
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Iain Mac
Only where the item costs between £100 and £30,000 and you are financing a maximum of £25,000, though you don't have to use the card to pay the whole amount. And obviously private individuals can't accept credit card payments.

I don't know that you would enjoy this protection if using PayPal but paying by credit card - the card issuer becomes jointly liable for the goods/services you bought, but if PayPal are only contracted to forward some money and do it, I don't see that the card issuer has any liability for a problem with a fourth party? It would be interesting to find out for sure though.
Pretty sure the credit card company don't cover you as they come out with some excuse and expect you to cry to paypal over it

Paypal hmmm touch wood haven't been stung yet but there full of sh.t. when it comes to buyers protection etc...

As Elvis said so easy to plot out scams