General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Beware Broadspeed capri !!!!! NOT

Search this Thread

Old 24-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTH YORKS RS SPARES
a rs500 shell is a totaly std 3 door shell , so if it has been reshelled into a brand new shell it carries the old chassie number so therfore is still a 500
The thing is though, that a new shell SHOULDN'T re-use the original chassis number - DVLA issues a new VIN that starts SABTVRO and which shows the car has been reshelled.
That's what happened with mnine as recently as June.
Old 24-09-2009, 08:09 PM
white2lsr
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the shell was unique then i may agree but it isnt so why is it not a 500 anymore ?
But it is, the id of a shell makes it unique.
Old 24-09-2009, 08:10 PM
PT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because the shell hasn't gone through Tickford I would imagine
Old 24-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Iain Mac
The thing is though, that a new shell SHOULDN'T re-use the original chassis number - DVLA issues a new VIN that starts SABTVRO and which shows the car has been reshelled.
That's what happened with mnine as recently as June.
What a load of bollocks

If a bodyshop reshells a car due to damage it retains the same chassie number , it is NOT issued with a new number at all
Old 24-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by white2lsr
But it is, the id of a shell makes it unique.

FFS but the new shell carries the same old chassie number

so its still exactly the same
Old 24-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by PT
Because the shell hasn't gone through Tickford I would imagine

And what does that matter Tickford didnt alter the shell other than cut the corner of the battery tray of with a hack saw
white2lsr

FFS but the new shell carries the same old chassie number

so its still exactly the same
But the new number dosnt belong to the shell.
rsnissan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

when do shells get stamped on the top of the turrets?
Old 24-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Dannn

So a reshelled 3 door then isnt a 3 door anymore

Why do you say this ? if the shell was unique then i may agree but it isnt so why is it not a 500 anymore ?

Plus , if it was reshelled into a new shell and HPI clear how would you know
Part of buying an RS500 must be the fantasy of that car going through the Tickford factory which made it into an RS500. You change the shell you loose the biggest part of it's providence....the thing that seperates it from an 'RS500' made out of a three door and RS500 parts....

To me this is an easy concept which most RS nuts I reckon would agree with....

I also beleive that if an RS500 is missing it's original special 205 block then they too have lost some of their providence albeit no where near the same amount as the shell!
Old 24-09-2009, 08:15 PM
PT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

cant believe this is getting so arsey because people have different preferences.... gay

Last edited by PT; 24-09-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 24-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

FFS i have never heard such utter shite on any post on passionford

Please go do your homwork and come back when you have a single clue what you are talking about

I have been in the bodyshop trade all my life before starting the spares business and have reshelled hundreds of cars due to damage and not once has any of them NOT retained its origonal chassie number

and im not getting arsey i just cant grasp how you think a car that has a new shell isnt fit to carry its same chassie number

Last edited by Mr RS500; 24-09-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 24-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Dannn

And what does that matter Tickford didnt alter the shell other than cut the corner of the battery tray of with a hack saw
As the RS500 registrar I really think you miss what the big deal with the RS500 is....

It's the fantasy of it being 'touched' by the Tickford workers while it goes through the Tickford factory along with the unique parts being fitted....

Surely, else it's nothing special at all....or am I missing the point of what the RS500 is all about ?
Old 24-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

But the new number dosnt belong to the shell.
What new number , the new shell doesnt have a number , WHY , because its left blank for you to put the origonel number into

If it wasnt supposed to be that way all new shells would come with a new number slready stamped into it
Old 24-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Dannn
As the RS500 registrar I really think you miss what the big deal with the RS500 is....

It's the fantasy of it being 'touched' by the Tickford workers while it goes through the Tickford factory along with the unique parts being fitted....

Surely, else it's nothing special at all....or am I missing the point of what the RS500 is all about ?
I would agree if tickford built them from scratch , but all they did was drive a brand new std 3 door into the workshop rip the engine out / fit another one then change bumpers /spoilers etc etc

Now im not trying to say what they did wasnt great and a credit to the workers there but it isnt like a hand built from scratch car is it

and as for me missing the point mate , if i wasnt passionate about the 500 i wouldnt own 3 of them and sertainly wouldnt be the registrar

Last edited by Mr RS500; 24-09-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 24-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

What a load of bollocks

If a bodyshop reshells a car due to damage it retains the same chassie number , it is NOT issued with a new number at all

From the DVLA website a moment ago:

Vehicle identification number

This is a legal requirement for all vehicles used on the public highway to carry a vehicle identity number (VIN). This may be lost when a vehicle is substantially rebuilt, particularly in the case of kit vehicles where the chassis or bodyshell may not have been stamped by the manufacturer. In such circumstances the DVLA local office will allocate a replacement VIN. The DVLA local office will issue an authorisation letter and registration will not take effect until the Agency receives confirmation that the vehicle has been stamped with the correct identity.

Registration of vehicles without identity

The following procedures must be followed when making application for the registration and first licensing of a vehicle without identity:
  • you should use your nearest DVLA local office
  • applications from outside a DVLA local office's catchment area will be refused
  • you will be asked to produce documentation confirming your name and address, the link below gives more information

• you will be asked to produce official receipts from identifiable suppliers for the components used in a rebuild. The authenticity of receipts may be checked. They will be stamped by the DVLA local office before return

All vehicles without identity (VIN and registration mark) will be inspected by DVLA and referred to the police. Applicants who rebuild vehicles and can prove the origins of the components need not be concerned. However, if the police believe a vehicle to be stolen DVLA will refuse to register and it may be impounded.
Old 24-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Dannn

I would agree if tickford built them from scratch , but all they did was drive a brand new std 3 door into the workshop rip the engine out / fit another one then change bumpers /spoilers etc etc

Now im not trying to say what they did wasnt great and a credit to the workers there but it isnt like a hand built from scratch car is it
I know that and hence why am of the opinion RS500's are well over priced and people must be smoking crack to pay so much for them.

However, I can understand that in some peoples eyes the fantasy is worth paying for.

Hence why I feel if you take the fantasy away they are worth no more than a normal three or the value of it's parts....

So you tell my why you think RS500's are worth so much more over a three door with identical parts ?
Old 24-09-2009, 08:29 PM
white2lsr

What new number , the new shell doesnt have a number , WHY , because its left blank for you to put the origonel number into

If it wasnt supposed to be that way all new shells would come with a new number slready stamped into it
So are you now saying that its only ok to do it with a new shell? If you are saying it is ok to use an old shell then you shouldnt be swapping the ids around as they are unique to the shell. If you could go around swapping shells legally, then would DVLA not allow you to just send the V5 off to change the number as you can with engine numbers?

The reason this is not the case is because the id (and V5) are assigned to a shell.

I had an intresting chat with my father who has has been in the police for 32 years. I the eyes of the law, swapping shell ids is very naughty whether the cars are stolen or not.
Old 24-09-2009, 08:30 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

pmsl at 3 of them.
Old 24-09-2009, 08:30 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Plus , if it was reshelled into a new shell and HPI clear how would you know

ok this is how i used to check when i was buying and selling cosworths,xr's,and other high performance fords back in the late 80's and right thru the 90's.

i knew what a genuine floorpan looked like,i knew what genuine ford floor undersealer looked like,i knew what when i lifted the flap up to see the floor stamp the numbers should look like,and i knew what the paint or primer ford used on the floor inside around the stamp looked like.
i would have a proper good look at it and if it didn't look like what i remember seeing them brand new looking like or it was a cover up job a lesser person would be happy with i would walk away.
i used to see loads of tampered with floor pans as i bought and sold them and i always checked the floor pans.
i would buy them if they had no stamp where they were supposed to be and no evidence of tampering as the new ford shells would be just smooth metal,i knew they had been reshelled and as they were hpi clear that told me a new shell had been used.

its all very well saying you would rather have a rare genuine ford thats been reshelled into a body shell that lesser models use,i would argue that a real good rare ford is one thats never been fucking neglected and gone to shit in the first place or badly damaged therefore not needing a replacement bodyshell because the other one is knackered and uneconomical to repair.

i have seen so many rs's over the years that have dodgy id,the wrong id,the right id and the wrong shell,and welded up and buggered about so much they would be dangerous in a good hit. it all makes a good original unrestored car with panels and floor stamps untampered with the best cars.

cheeRS
Old 24-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

From the DVLA website a moment ago:

This is a legal requirement for all vehicles used on the public highway to carry a vehicle identity number (VIN). This may be lost when a vehicle is substantially rebuilt, particularly in the case of kit vehicles where the chassis or bodyshell may not have been stamped by the manufacturer. In such circumstances the DVLA local office will allocate a replacement VIN. The DVLA local office will issue an authorisation letter and registration will not take effect until the Agency receives confirmation that the vehicle has been stamped with the correct identity.

Registration of vehicles without identity

The following procedures must be followed when making application for the registration and first licensing of a vehicle without identity:
  • you should use your nearest DVLA local office
  • applications from outside a DVLA local office's catchment area will be refused
  • you will be asked to produce documentation confirming your name and address, the link below gives more information
  • you will be asked to produce official receipts from identifiable suppliers for the components used in a rebuild. The authenticity of receipts may be checked. They will be stamped by the DVLA local office before return
All vehicles without identity (VIN and registration mark) will be inspected by DVLA and referred to the police. Applicants who rebuild vehicles and can prove the origins of the components need not be concerned. However, if the police believe a vehicle to be stolen DVLA will refuse to register and it may be impounded.
Now please tell me the point of that post

please show me where it says if a vehicle is reshelled due to heavy damage and repaired by an authorised repair center it must have a new chassie number

all that says is if the ID is lost , like in the case of a kit car etc , if you are reshelling a legit car because of damage etc the chassie number isnt lost is it

Last edited by Mr RS500; 24-09-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 24-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by cozzfather
ok this is how i used to check when i was buying and selling cosworths,xr's,and other high performance fords back in the late 80's and right thru the 90's.

i knew what a genuine floorpan looked like,i knew what genuine ford floor undersealer looked like,i knew what when i lifted the flap up to see the floor stamp the numbers should look like,and i knew what the paint or primer ford used on the floor inside around the stamp looked like.
i would have a proper good look at it and if it didn't look like what i remember seeing them brand new looking like or it was a cover up job a lesser person would be happy with i would walk away.
i used to see loads of tampered with floor pans as i bought and sold them and i always checked the floor pans.
i would buy them if they had no stamp where they were supposed to be and no evidence of tampering as the new ford shells would be just smooth metal,i knew they had been reshelled and as they were hpi clear that told me a new shell had been used.

its all very well saying you would rather have a rare genuine ford thats been reshelled into a body shell that lesser models use,i would argue that a real good rare ford is one thats never been fucking neglected and gone to shit in the first place or badly damaged therefore not needing a replacement bodyshell because the other one is knackered and uneconomical to repair.

i have seen so many rs's over the years that have dodgy id,the wrong id,the right id and the wrong shell,and welded up and buggered about so much they would be dangerous in a good hit. it all makes a good original unrestored car with panels and floor stamps untampered with the best cars.

cheeRS
I agree and can tell myself due to being in the bodyshop trade all my life , BUT can the general public tell
Old 24-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

So are you now saying that its only ok to do it with a new shell? If you are saying it is ok to use an old shell then you shouldnt be swapping the ids around as they are unique to the shell. If you could go around swapping shells legally, then would DVLA not allow you to just send the V5 off to change the number as you can with engine numbers?

The reason this is not the case is because the id (and V5) are assigned to a shell.

I had an intresting chat with my father who has has been in the police for 32 years. I the eyes of the law, swapping shell ids is very naughty whether the cars are stolen or not.
Yet again you only read what you want to read

I changed a shell ( used ) with full agreement from DVLA as i could prove the LEGIT history of the used shell , thats the difference

But when reshelling into a brand new shell the only id you have is the one from the damaged car , and AS SAID why dont brand new shells come with there own ID if thats how it is supposed to be done
Old 24-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Now please tell me the point of that post

please show me where it says if a vehicle is reshelled due to heavy damage and repaired by an authorised repair center it must have a new chassie number

This may be lost when a vehicle is substantially rebuilt... where the chassis or bodyshell may not have been stamped by the manufacturer.
Old 24-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

This ,,,,,,,,,,,,,MAY,,,,,,,, be lost when a vehicle is substantially rebuilt... where the chassis or bodyshell may not have been stamped by the manufacturer.

IT ISNT LOST THO IS IT its on the damaged shell FFS

Why cant you grasp it on the old shell so you simply stamp the old number into the new shell and destroy the old shell

Please please please go to your local bodyshop tommorrow and ask them and then come back
Old 24-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

So let's just say you are right (and I know that bodyshops do what you say, with new shells, but doing doesn't make it right) why then would DVLA not just allow me to stamp the VIN from my donor into my new shell and get on with it as a 1991 car, instead of a 2009 car?

I had owned both cars for years, and the donor had been registered to me for years so plainly nothing hooky going on, but still they insisted on issuing a new VIN and getting confirmation that the new number had been stamped in before registering the car.
Old 24-09-2009, 08:52 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

So let's just say you are right (and I know that bodyshops do what you say, with new shells, but doing doesn't make it right) why then would DVLA not just allow me to stamp the VIN from my donor into my new shell and get on with it as a 1991 car, instead of a 2009 car?

I had owned both cars for years, and the donor had been registered to me for years so plainly nothing hooky going on, but still they insisted on issuing a new VIN and getting confirmation that the new number had been stamped in before registering the car.

Because you didnt reshell lets just say , a 1.3 escort into a brand new 1.3 escort shell did you . without reading back didnt you reshellwith a different shell compared to the donour car ?

and you arnt a registered authorised repair center either this is the key factor , registered repair centers can reshell cars legaly and have stamp kits
Bloke in his council garage cant without DVLA aproval and without them inspecting after and stamping the shell for you

Last edited by Mr RS500; 24-09-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 24-09-2009, 08:59 PM
cossiedrift

As said i'd rather a solid shell regardless of what it started as, over a patched piece of shit!!!!!
Old 24-09-2009, 09:02 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

funny how we have gone from a ralph broad capri to cozzies here

With the greatest of respect we are typing here about reshelling cars that have a id stamped in the floor or innerwings from new,and cars that didn't cos that was how it was with fords pre 70's and modified old cars from nos shells and kit cars where the regs are different now to the late 80's and 90's.

the dvla changes its tune every now and then, i personally do not have a problem with a rs500 or a fookin fiesta fiasco 1.1 that had a new body shell to repair accident damage wether back when they were new or much later as service shells get hanging around.

i do have a problem with reshelling a car with a second hand shell thats had its own id removed.
and i certainly have a problem with using a non genuine shell and making it look like one just to keep a valuable car going,that really in my book is down to greed,its worth good money in good condition so lets cobble it !!!
Old 24-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Well i will leave you all to tell me im wrong now as im of to bed as i have to be up at cunt oclock in the morning to do a photo shoot with fast ford with my Caltex ringer , lol,
Old 24-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

if this is all legal etc why is there a problem with the mk2 rally car mentioned above? rothmans i believe? is that really regarded as the real mcCoy? even though it was maybe so badly fucked that it's more like a triggers broom scenario?
Old 24-09-2009, 09:07 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

pmsl.

look forward to see it in the mag, will tell Neil.
Old 24-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Well i will leave you all to tell me im wrong now as im of to bed as i have to be up at cunt oclock in the morning to do a photo shoot with fast ford with my Caltex ringer , lol,

so long as those fucking munters aren't kicking about again

i'd rather see your hairy arse draped over tha car
Old 24-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Lambchop
if this is all legal etc why is there a problem with the mk2 rally car mentioned above? rothmans i believe? is that really regarded as the real mcCoy? even though it was maybe so badly fucked that it's more like a triggers broom scenario?

Because the ID is from a mk1 escort and is now on a mk2

A bit like putting a s1 turbo id on an s2 now there is reshell id swaps and then there is blatent taking the piss
Old 24-09-2009, 09:09 PM
NC53
Regular Contributor

This is an area which traditionally causes a lot of disagreement and is a bit of a can of worms.

What is legal and what complies with DVLA requirements are not necessarily the same.

A brand new shell can retain the identity of the donor vehicle and as Paul says that's why it comes unstamped because it is a service item. The problem comes in that there is no uniform way to stamp in the 17 digit chassis number. In other words, it's up to the individual bodyshop to use punches of their preferred size and character style. Personally, I would stamp the strut top (legal requirement to have a stamped in number) and leave the floor pan untouched so it can be seen in the future that the vehicle has been reshelled with a brand new replacement bodyshell.

Ringing doesn't have to involve a stolen shell. If I chopped out the chassis numbers from two escorts (both of which I own) and swopped them over, both would be ringers as they are purporting to be something they are not but neither would be stolen.

It is not illegal to ring a car, that is, apply the identity of one car to another (or use a second hand shell to reshell a car if you like). There is no specific offence of ringing. To use my escort example above, both would be ringers but neither would be illegal. If I reshelled a 3 door cosworth with a second hand base shell, that would not be illegal in itself. However (and most importantly), it would not comply with DVLA requirements and would mean the car should go on a Q plate. Even if the base model id is retained, interestingly, it should still be on a q plate as it is a radically altered vehicle (came out the factory as a base and ended up as cosworth spec). There is also a possibility of a deception offence under the Theft Act when selling them on because the ringed base model is being presented as a cosworth when in fact it is not. If it is clearly stated that it has been reshelled with a second hand shell, then there is no deception.

So it is perfectly possible for something to be legal which does not meet the DVLA requirements for id retention. It just means that there is a risk to any future owner that the DVLA could find out and require it to go on a q plate.

Martin is right though - regardless of what the DVLA accepted on the particular occasion mentioned, it was not in accordance with their policy and the car should have had a q plate irrespective of what could be proved about the origins of the second hand replacement shell. Frankly, I am amazed that they allowed it to happen and I think Paul was really lucky on that occasion. I hope it wasn't Gosforth VRO! Standards are sometimes a bit lax. For instance, I once saw the bodytype description on a V5 successfully changed from 4 door saloon to 3 door hatchback. That's how lax the DVLA were. However, it is worth noting that the DVLA cannot legalise something which is illegal and nor can the police. Take for example Durham Police's practice a few years ago of stamping cars which had had their id removed with an 18 digit DURPOL number and supporting q plate applications on that basis - just because the police allowed it could not make (in this case stolen cars) legal.

Something else which will be of interest to a few people on here (and me as an owner of one of these vehicles), if you have a cossie powered Mk3, Mk4 focus, fiesta or whatever, then it should be on a q plate because it is a radically altered vehicle according to DVLA.

Finally, whether a reshelled car is as good as a repaired original shell and whether it can still be properly described as a cosworth, RS turbo etc etc is a matter of debate and everyone has different views on the subject. However, that is completely separate to whether it is a) legal and b) complies with DVLA rules on id retention.

Neil
Old 24-09-2009, 09:10 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

as long as the shells were brand new...wheres the problem.
Old 24-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Because the ID is from a mk1 escort and is now on a mk2

A bit like putting a s1 turbo id on an s2 now there is reshell id swaps and then there is blatent taking the piss
which car eactly we talking about? my mates mate did a cossie mk2 that seemed to have a mk1 reg when pics were here before. i thought people meant ACTUAL rally car though!
Old 24-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Dannn
IMO as soon as an RS500 loses it's original shell it's no more an RS500 than a three door made into one. It's loses the biggest part of it's providence and is nothing special anymore...
Sorry Dan but thats total rubbish, you have clearly lost the plot!
Old 24-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

The last thing i will say is the used shell i used to reshell the 3 door was infact a reshell at some time and had no number stamped into it anywhere
This was the main reason DVLA allowed me to use it ,

Again , I may have been lucky but i did it honestly and with DVLA agreement and was 100% honest with the buyer who was happy to buy a superb condition 3 door at a very good price
Old 24-09-2009, 09:17 PM
NC53
Regular Contributor

Ian - I've not reread your original post as it's late now and I want my bed but did you use the same replacement shell as the original? If so, then I think DVLA got it wrong mate, you should have been able to retain the original id. If it was a different bodyshell then that's where the problem arose.

If the shell was the same then there is no need to involve DVLA at all - just get on with it and do the job! Also, you can stamp the shell yourself - there is no law which says any particular person has to do it such as a bodyshop.
Old 24-09-2009, 09:23 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

iain forgive me if i do not know the full details on your sierra build.
if you had a old 1991 complete sierra with a shagged shell and found a nos replacement one and reshelled the car using the nos shell i would of just fitted it all and then when looking minty mint got a new mot and carried on from there.
Sure i could try stamping the numbers in the new shells floor but that can look shit and i know i have seen it done, or if you have the receipt for your nos shell just leave it as theres your proof the cars not a wrong un and just been reshelled using a service part as it has a recipt from a ford dealer.

Quick Reply: Beware Broadspeed capri !!!!! NOT