General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

DERREN BROWN - The Events (How it was done 9pm tonight)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 03:35 PM
JokerDisco
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DERREN BROWN - The Events (How it was done 9pm tonight)

Anybody watching this tonight? 10:35pm - 10:45pm LIVE on Channel 4

Think it will probably quite interesting to predict the lottery!! Lets see if he gets it right.

Last edited by JokerDisco; 11-09-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:37 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah definitely watching it! (after the footy!!)
Old 09-09-2009, 03:45 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

He'll either go from worldwide superstar, or to complete cock in about 1.5 seconds after the lottery tonight
Old 09-09-2009, 03:57 PM
cossiestu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 150 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich170
He'll either go from worldwide superstar, or to complete cock in about 1.5 seconds after the lottery tonight
Thats what i was thinking!!

So, what happens in the future, when one of his 'mates' gets all the numbers right??!
Old 09-09-2009, 04:16 PM
PT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

There will be a catch that no one thinks of. Like he did predicting all those horse races
Old 09-09-2009, 04:22 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by PT
There will be a catch that no one thinks of. Like he did predicting all those horse races

What catch was that mate?
Old 09-09-2009, 04:29 PM
youngben

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

well the lotto has wished him good luck! so i would be very surprised if there is a catch! i dont think the lotto can even predict the numbers so luck of the draw! time will tell
Old 09-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by youngben
well the lotto has wished him good luck! so i would be very surprised if there is a catch! i dont think the lotto can even predict the numbers so luck of the draw! time will tell

you don't think the lotto can predict the numbers?

No sher shit lock
Old 09-09-2009, 04:32 PM
OldDan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

couple second delay between each numbers.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:37 PM
PT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Youngben - you cant predict horse races either but he did until he explained it ten mins from end of show

Originally Posted by Rich170
What catch was that mate?
copied and pasted for you mate, explains it better than I can

In this one he told us that he had invented a fool-proof system for predicting the winners of horse races. To demonstrate this system he introduced us to Khadisha who had received anonymous five winning tips from Derren. On the basis of these previous wins she borrowed Ł4,000 which she wanted to place on one final bit.

What Khadisha and the audience didn't know was that there was no real system. Khadisha was one of 7,776 who Derren had initially contacted. All of those people had been given a tip for the first race. That first race had six runners and each of those horses was sent as the tip to 1,296 of those people. So 1,296 of them had a winning prediction and the other dropped out. This continued for four more races, with 5/6 of the group being eliminated at each stage. Over the course of five races this whittled the original 7,776 people down to one, Khadisha, who had received five winning tips. But because of the way the experiment was arranged, one of the original group had to have received five successful tips. Of course, at the beginning of the project, Derren had no way of knowing which of the original participants this would be.

So after five races, Khadisha is convinced that the system works. But that's because she didn't have the full picture. She only saw the system from her point of view. But that (flawed) perspective gave her enough confidence in the (completely fake) system to borrow a huge sum of money to bet on a horse race.

This was then used as the set-up for a magic trick where her horse loses, but Derren changes her betting slip to be a bet on the winning horse. To me, that's not the interesting part of the programme. To me, the interesting thing is what this experiment shows about the nature of believe.

Going into the final race Khadisha had total confidence in the system. She had seen it working on the five previous races. She didn't know how it worked (if you stop to think about it logically, there's no possible way that it could have worked) but that didn't matter to her. She just knew that it worked.

Of course, if she had seen the full picture there's no way that she would have had the same amount of confidence in the system. If she had seen the full picture then she would have had no confidence in the at all. With all the information, she would never have borrowed that huge sum of money.

Derren hinted that this was a similar process to the one that convinces some people that homoeopathic remedies or alternative medicine works. A small number of people do see positive results following these treatments. But for a far larger number of people there's no effect at all. But you rarely hear about the failures. If you went against you better judgement and tried a homoeopathic remedy that didn't work, you probably wouldn't shout about about it. You'd probably feel a bit embarrassed and want to keep it quiet. It's the tiny number of people who feel better that you hear from. They are the ones who the homoeopaths shout about. They are the people who are only too happy to give you anecdotal evidence about how doctors could do nothing for their mother but how at the first sniff of primrose oil she was leaping around the room again.

Those people are like Khadisha. They don't have the full story. Arguing from your personal experience has no relevance in cases like this. Something that works for you might not have worked at all for the majority of people. You might, like Khadisha, just be the random person who it will work for.

I remember towards the final they had to send out a load of film crews to film as anyone could have won

Last edited by PT; 09-09-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:49 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bastard he did well dint he lol
Old 10-09-2009, 07:57 AM
JokerDisco

ill be interested to see how its done on friday
Old 10-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by st3v3
Bastard he did well dint he lol

I'll go and google it but how did he do?!
Old 10-09-2009, 08:28 AM
JokerDisco

Originally Posted by Lambchop
6 out of 6

Last edited by JokerDisco; 10-09-2009 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:38 AM
JokerDisco

To be honest I reckon that the left hand side of the screen was replaced digitally with a still image, then an assistant puts the numbers onto the balls as they are being read out on the BBC, then it cuts back to the normall image.

Something about the way they were holding a hand held camera to make it jumpy gave you sense that this was for real.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:48 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

He never uses camera trickery so I doubt it will be that. He's an awesome illusionist, got a lot of respect for his brand of 'magic'.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:52 AM
drsrst2zvh
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

it was unbelievable but as above will deffo be watching on friday to see how its done.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Yep deffo will watching Friday to see how it was done
Old 10-09-2009, 12:11 PM
SteveT

Originally Posted by JokerDisco
To be honest I reckon that the left hand side of the screen was replaced digitally with a still image, then an assistant puts the numbers onto the balls as they are being read out on the BBC, then it cuts back to the normall image.

Something about the way they were holding a hand held camera to make it jumpy gave you sense that this was for real.

Yeah, that is the most likely way that I can think he achieved it. Hope that is not correct though, as that kinda seems like cheating to me. I mean that trick would then have not worked in front of a live audience.

Steve
Old 10-09-2009, 12:57 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ball 39 sits a little high at the end, how strange...
Old 10-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Grantcos
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by SteveT
Yeah, that is the most likely way that I can think he achieved it. Hope that is not correct though, as that kinda seems like cheating to me. I mean that trick would then have not worked in front of a live audience.

Steve
Maybe why he did'nt have an audience??
Old 10-09-2009, 01:10 PM
JokerDisco

Originally Posted by Grantcos
Maybe why he did'nt have an audience??

However as Dan says.... he doesnt normally use camera trickery.

Plus it would have been a right mission for a live audience to be there for 10 mins worth of filiming.

hhmmmmmmmm......back to the drawing board or maybe just wait untill Friday.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Lambchop
Amazingly, after being told on the television what the 6 numbers were, he then said afterwards what all 6 of them were.

Truely awesome stuff to be able to predict something that has just happened a moment before with such accuracy
Old 10-09-2009, 01:40 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

maybe????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTEjLOs-V9A
Old 10-09-2009, 09:59 PM
bouncy
Regular Contributor

I watched it last night and spent hours trying to figure it out, sky plus is great!!!!

I noticed the last ball no39 was sitting slightly higher than before, he writes the numbers down after the draw to give assistant putting balls into rack a little longer to finish!!

Dont forget DB aint a magician he just manipulates everything and is bloody good at it. If he had shown the balls first then the draw...........NOW that would be a awesome!!!

Anyway Paul Daniels would have got em all and the Bonus Ball!!!!!
Old 11-09-2009, 07:09 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Why did he hold up a snowflake during the advert for tonights show? What has that got to do with it? Properly cryptic.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:08 AM
JokerDisco

what times it on tonight?
Old 11-09-2009, 08:19 AM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

BELOW LINK CONTAINS EXPLANATION....... (dont watch if you want to wait until Derren Brown explains it himself...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jae7M6htaiM
Old 11-09-2009, 08:33 AM
pete26
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Coldo
BELOW LINK CONTAINS EXPLANATION....... (dont watch if you want to wait until Derren Brown explains it himself...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jae7M6htaiM

Still don't get it
Old 11-09-2009, 08:39 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by Coldo
That seems to be the most plausible option, but it's also the most disappointing. There's nothing that clever, or 'illusionary' about camera tricks IMO.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:44 AM
JokerDisco

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
That seems to be the most plausible option, but it's also the most disappointing. There's nothing that clever, or 'illusionary' about camera tricks IMO.

Cant go on youtube at work.

is it like my theory of the camera trickery? i.e still digital image on the left whilst an assistant changes the balls as they come out?
Old 11-09-2009, 08:57 AM
pete26
Regular Contributor

Agreed. Camera tricks aren't an illusion, that's why I still not understand. If in tonights it is camera tricks I'll be dissapointed.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Chip

Weird how the fact its the lottery numbers makes it so much more interesting to people?

The trick is no more difficult than if he asked someone their name then had that written on the balls, but that wouldnt stir up anywhere near as much interest for most people.

He's very good at capturing the public's attention.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:57 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by Chip
Weird how the fact its the lottery numbers makes it so much more interesting to people?

The trick is no more difficult than if he asked someone their name then had that written on the balls, but that wouldnt stir up anywhere near as much interest for most people.
It's not really weird - Saying you can guess someone's name, and saying that you know how to predict the lottery (so you could win millions of pounds) are two very different claims.

I'd wager that the majority of the population have, at some point, wished they could predict the lottery. I doubt many people have wished they could guess their neighbour's middle name.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Chip

It's not really weird - Saying you can guess someone's name, and saying that you know how to predict the lottery (so you could win millions of pounds) are two very different claims.

I'd wager that the majority of the population have, at some point, wished they could predict the lottery. I doubt many people have wished they could guess their neighbour's middle name.
But given that we know he HASNT predicted the lottery numbers, as he told us them AFTER they were announced, so all we are wondering is how he managed to write on the balls or swap out the balls, its no different surely?

Unless people are actually stupid enough to think he really did do it in advance when of course he didnt as there are 14 million to one odds stopping him.

Maybe im just more logical than a lot of folk, but to me the only question is how derren wrote on or changed some balls, the fact that it was lottery numbers or a name is irrelevant as I know in both cases it happened after he knew the results anyway.

Last edited by Chip; 11-09-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:37 AM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Love the comment on youtube

At 4:52 a big black man walks in and writes on the balls with a crayon, but Derren hypnotised you into not being able to see him.
This NLP technique is known as "Temporary Black Man Blindness" or TBMB

Old 11-09-2009, 11:18 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

But given that we know he HASNT predicted the lottery numbers, as he told us them AFTER they were announced, so all we are wondering is how he managed to write on the balls or swap out the balls, its no different surely?

Unless people are actually stupid enough to think he really did do it in advance when of course he didnt as there are 14 million to one odds stopping him.
But surely you must see that the common man is a lot more excited about someone 'predicting' the lottery numbers, than they are about guessing someone's name.

I totally get your point, and when you strip away all the showbiz, sure it's a simple illusion - But it's pretty obvious why the lottery link has generated so much interest. After the fact there's a realisation that it's just a trick, but during the 'act' and shortly after many many people were thinking "What the fuck!"

It's like David Copperfield hiding the Statue of Liberty. It's technically no different to simple card misdirection - But one is "cool", the other is "WOW!" .
Old 11-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Originally Posted by JokerDisco

As Dan says no tricks.

Thats not what hes about, he doesnt suppost magic, or claim to have any psychic or future seeing powers.

His take is purley Mathematical and Psychological and I love it.

He can get away with telling everyone how he does things simply because he is so clever him self and sooo fast thinking He knows he can tell people becuase 99.9% simply wont be able to replicate his work.

Really pissed off im out to a beer festival and on to an indian at 11pm tonight so am going to miss it. But will be sure to C4OD it.

Really intregued how hes created this "illusion", I too thought it would be similar to the horses race program but it cant surley, as this the lotto drw and his programme were live! So he only had one shot at it.

Cant wait!!!!!!!
Old 11-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Why did he hold up a snowflake during the advert for tonights show? What has that got to do with it? Properly cryptic.
Wondered that too, you never know with him, could be meaningless or could have a big part to play.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Amazingly, after being told on the television what the 6 numbers were, he then said afterwards what all 6 of them were.

Truely awesome stuff to be able to predict something that has just happened a moment before with such accuracy
Hes not claiming to have predicted them, hes not claiming to beable to see the future. He doesnt do that shite.

He has either dont something along his horse racing line of thinking or used some very clever psychology to make us think something.

Quick Reply: DERREN BROWN - The Events (How it was done 9pm tonight)