General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Hgv licence

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 07:47 PM
n13los
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cpc's just been introduced aswell, good idea with the dodgy foreign trucks coming into the country but if you look at some of the crap they will accept as a unit it seems to be another money making scheme.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:59 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rs Gus
daily i norm park it round side
arr right you work saturdays? i left mine at rightmix the other week when i helped em out on their mixers
Old 09-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Rs Gus
impreza wrx sti version 8

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kosman
arr right you work saturdays? i left mine at rightmix the other week when i helped em out on their mixers
some saturdays mate norm on aency workin for nyk/netto though
Old 09-09-2009, 08:47 PM
spinus
Part of the Furniture

i did my artic licence when i got made redundant from peugeot, when the plant moved to slovakia . started driving skip wagons 8 wheel tippers,roros artic tippers now i,m on artic bulkers. as said above some shite jobs out there,there really is but i,m doing 38 hours a week at 30,000 a year. regular evenings ten mins from my house. i personally love it as all my driving is between 1900 and 0200 so i miss most of the excellent drivers who think you can go round an island and stay in one lane ! priceless. when i did mine it was mostly funded by the eu, ask at the jobcentre but it only applied if you were made redundant.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heard today that the age restrictions have been dropped from 21 to 18 to drive hgv.

this to me suggests that there is a shortage.

the thing to remember is most class 1 and 2 drivers are well into their 40s and 50s so they will be retiring from driving soon but there isnt enough young drivers to fill the gap
Old 10-09-2009, 06:30 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

not a good idea if you ask me,ive seen the way some 18yr olds drive vans,fuck putting em in a lorry.

there will be a shortage aswell,most people are going to think bollox to the cpc,im not doing it,dont plan to be driving within the next 2years.

Last edited by kosman; 10-09-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Rs Gus

not a good idea if you ask me,ive seen the way some 18yr olds drive vans,fuck putting em in a lorry.

there will be a shortage aswell,most people are going to think bollox to the cpc,im not doing it,dont plan to be driving within the next 2years.
saw you earlier pal fuk a 18year old prick in a artic
Old 11-09-2009, 07:57 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

saw you earlier pal fuk a 18year old prick in a artic
yeah dude,and again today,seem to spend most me time on coleford road
Old 11-09-2009, 09:35 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

ive been driving 5years,pulled 5times,never been done on tacho's,only gv9'd once for loose u bolts,not my fault them,but i like to keep my truck clean,always think it makes you look better,my gaffer keeps ours nice with lightbars bottom mudflaps spoilers etc,so we dont do so bad,but they seem to be everywhere these days,ive seen them every day this week.

when were u pulled?,must have been at least 3 year back as its no longer a gv9,its now a pg9,and a pg9 is serious,3 pg9's and ur company goes up infront of the commisioner and can lose there operators licence
Old 11-09-2009, 09:52 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

yeah dude,4years ago on a old w reg 8legger tipper.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Rs Gus

yeah dude,and again today,seem to spend most me time on coleford road
some bastard nicked the old sat nav out of my waggon yesterday afternoon at work
Old 12-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Saaamon
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I know its a little off topic but could some explain what the cpc is all about? I'm under the impress by looking through the internet that its possible to go on a one day course, is this right?
Old 12-09-2009, 03:28 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

some bastard nicked the old sat nav out of my waggon yesterday afternoon at work
kidding? fookers arent they,none of us lot take each others stuff so we leave all sorts in ours,need to learn to lock mine though,left it open all last weekend when i parked it up
Old 12-09-2009, 03:33 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Originally Posted by Saaamon
I know its a little off topic but could some explain what the cpc is all about? I'm under the impress by looking through the internet that its possible to go on a one day course, is this right?
im not entirely sure,i not looked in to it because got no intention of doing it,but as far as i know you've got 5yrs to do it from sep this year i think,its a one day course of writing on h and s i think,then some 1 goes out with you for a for a day to check you no how to load and unload a wagon safely,which wont have a effect on me,im a tipper driver and we arent alowwed out of our cabs when we getting loaded,so cant check,if we get loaded on 1 side its too late

they also see if you understand tacho's,fuel economy,safe and proper driving etc,thats how i understand it anyway.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:45 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

im not entirely sure,i not looked in to it because got no intention of doing it,but as far as i know you've got 5yrs to do it from sep this year i think,its a one day course of writing on h and s i think,then some 1 goes out with you for a for a day to check you no how to load and unload a wagon safely,which wont have a effect on me,im a tipper driver and we arent alowwed out of our cabs when we getting loaded,so cant check,if we get loaded on 1 side its too late

they also see if you understand tacho's,fuel economy,safe and proper driving etc,thats how i understand it anyway.
designed to make the standard of professional drivers better/safer,as we know fine well there is some drivers on the road that shouldnt be allowed to drive a car never mine a truck/bus,some of the guys i work with dont understand drivers hours/tacho's etc so will be good to make them a better driver,not forgetting foreign drivers as there the worst on the road,think they get there licence free with kellogs corn flakes
Old 12-09-2009, 03:53 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

your not wrong there,but netto's own make cornflakes

i watched one try to bodge a artic on to a loading platform the other day,it took some doing,i was howling,it was on our blindside but not his,to be fair it didnt look like he'd been driving one for long
Old 12-09-2009, 04:51 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

your not wrong there,but netto's own make cornflakes

i watched one try to bodge a artic on to a loading platform the other day,it took some doing,i was howling,it was on our blindside but not his,to be fair it didnt look like he'd been driving one for long
mate i bet he's been driving for years
we get them in our work all the time trying to reverse onto loading bays,there shockingly bad,some of our shunters with no licence can reverse better
Old 12-09-2009, 05:12 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

something i got told was that polish just had to drive a tractor and trailer to get their hgv?

a local lad i know took on a pole,he used to go like fook,he only lasted 2weeks before he got sacked.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Saaamon

So does that mean i wont have to worry about a cpc until after i've got my license and have been driving for "x" amount of time? Or is it part of the process to getting a license now?
Old 12-09-2009, 06:40 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

i think it might be part of the process,people who passed before a certain time got a grandfather status granted,dont take that as gospel,im not a 100% sure.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Saaamon

Seems like alot of hassle really..
Old 12-09-2009, 09:12 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Originally Posted by Saaamon
Seems like alot of hassle really..
it fucking is dude,my bro wants to drive,he keeps coming doing the odd day for me gaffer but ive told him not bother,but he doesnt want to be scaffolding in winter,but i wouldnt recommend driving to anyone.
Old 13-09-2009, 01:01 AM
delterflier
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

i have been thinking of this for a while now,i have been driving sprinter vans the length and bredth of the east coast of scotland for a nearly a year now.

its a great company to work for (abacus agents) apart from one thing....12,500 pa
so the big question....how much does it all cost?

cherrs john
Old 13-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

the price varies from place to place,
however the price does reflect the training.
if your paying for it ask and make sure they are DSA registered and you will be trained by an instructor who DSA trained, this means you will be recieve the best training possible.

the current law means you can be trained by ANYONE who has held there HGV licence for 2years or more which quite frankly is stupid.
chosing a DSA approved school will see that your trained the correct way and also give you a higher chance of passing 1st time.

i trained with ROADTRAIN and passed both tests 1st time, as did the 7 other students that week.

http://www.roadtrain.co.uk/

if you chose a cheaper company it could end up costing far more in re-tests should you fail. a re-test works out at about Ł300 a go which covers the cost of the test and use of the truck.

alot of drivers at my place have trained with ROADTRAIN and all have passed 1st time.
i cant recommend them enough
Old 13-09-2009, 12:54 PM
badnews

i did my test over here in OZ and all i can say it was way to easy keep off the kerbs and don't change gear down hill and you will pass. i did it all in the day lol i recon i drove the truck for about four hrs in total including my test. all up it cost me $800
Old 13-09-2009, 01:07 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

i paid a grand for my class 1,well my gaffer did,but you have to do your class2 1st,i went with a dsa registered school and passed 1st time with 3minors.
Old 13-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i paid a grand for my class 1,well my gaffer did,but you have to do your class2 1st,i went with a dsa registered school and passed 1st time with 3minors.

i got 6minors on my class 2 and 5 on my class 1,
i learnt in an old unit with sloppy gears, got marked down as i couldnt find a gear
Old 13-09-2009, 02:18 PM
delterflier
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

anyone know of a good companiy nere dundee?
Old 13-09-2009, 03:16 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

i passed in a sheddy l reg daf,it was a reet heap,easy as fook to reverse though.
Old 13-09-2009, 04:49 PM
RSandy
Advanced PassionFord User

im fairly sure that as of the week just passed, the new test rules including cpc have taken over, so passing the test will become that bit harder (i was told to take my class 1 before september to get the easier test, but stupidly i didnt )

our company has already started looking into sorting our cpc stuff. from wot i understand its 35hours classroom training over 5 year period, so 7 hours a year, so yeh a day a year basically. can be on varying subjects like health and safety, drivers hours, etc. theres no pass or fail, u just attend, and get a certificate to prove the hours u have completed. dont even have to do every single diffwerent subject, can just do the same course every year, so long as the hours are done.

my company have a deal going on with some cpc trainer guy who will fund our cpc courses if we agree to do NVQ courses, which are free and he can claim enough government funding for them with enough left over to pay for the cpc. im guessing a few firms might go this route, it gets my vote as its free, and the NVQ course is bloody short in itself!