General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

driving with no mot

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Dan1281
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driving with no mot

what would the police do if i got pulled with no mot?, still taxed and insured (traders policy)but just out of test

is it just a fine?
Old 11-08-2009, 08:46 PM
tomo1976
Virgin

can be up to a grand ... plus points ...
Old 11-08-2009, 08:52 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

no mot used to be a fine and non endorsable. as far as i know its not changed but its been a few years since ive been done with anything.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:55 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well with no MOT your insurance will also be void. Knwoing past cases ive heard of, and knowing the way the country is going, you'd probably get a fine less than the actual cost of getting an MOT and insurance. Anwyay as regards points, it can be upto 6 for no MOT and upto 6 for no insurance, so potentially you could be banned for it.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Dan1281

its only to drive a car back a few miles if i buy it, it just means i can get a lift from my bird instead of having to get someone capable to tow me back
Old 11-08-2009, 08:58 PM
G950KDT
Advanced PassionFord User

as far as im aware only time you can drive a car without mot is when your taking it to a pre-booked MOT test and the police WILL check if it has been booked in or not if stopped.

think you can drive it to a place of repair from there but not sure what their like on that if your taking it to mot, it fails then take it home if your doing the repairs yourself etc.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:58 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

no it wont. no mot doesnt mean your insurance is automatically void and no mot doesnt mean 6 points.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:00 PM
gibbo frst

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you get the fine for not being able to produce the document at the station it is up to your insurance if they will still cover you.. last year was £60 fine no points... esure said its no problem just get it mot d asap..
Old 11-08-2009, 09:05 PM
steves24V's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dad wrote his car off, (well some discovery driver did) took his docs down the police station a few days later and relised his mot had ran out ( just forgot about it before for the days of stickers in your windscreen) any way police didn't say anything and insurance paid out with no question's.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:05 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

like ive said before, my business partner wrote of his evo8 3 months after the first mot was due. the insurer paid out the full value (£14G )minus £50 for the cost of the mot he should have had.
no mot is non endorsable meaning no points unless they find anything unroadworthy to charge you with on the vehicle.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:50 PM
col cos1
BANNED
BANNED

my brothers car got stolen a few years ago was 3 days out of mot,insurance took £400 off the payout
Old 12-08-2009, 03:55 PM
KnoxyGtt
T34 just kicked in Yo

iv been done with no mot many a time and got fines only
Old 12-08-2009, 03:56 PM
RSTurboSI
BANNED
BANNED

Here we go again, rumour, counter rumour, grey-areas, waffly legislation and general vague rules governing the law and its interpretation leads to more confusion - which usually leads to more stringent legislation further down the line (that is not aimed at you 98 btw).,

I hate it when you hear "my mate says......"

In simple terms. Yes you can drive your car to a PRE-BOOKED MOT. As it stands that is all that is required...there is no mention of specific distances nor as far as I am aware any mention of timing - I often drop my car off at the garage the night before the test so they can get an early start and I can have it back by lunchtime.

so if I book my car in for a test in London and decide to drive it from Edinburgh I have done nothing illegal - I can even start my journey on the previous day. Police at Leicester may not be too impressed but not a great deal they can do about it. HOWEVER, this will only wash if the car is roadworthy - and even having an unexpired MOT does not guarantee this.

As for road tax, i'm sure someone will enlighten us, but I think the offence is FAILING TO DISPLAY...now another grey area because you order online, do you wait till the disc turns up or are you safe to drive having had acknowledgemnt that you have paid your road tax. again, depends on who you ask as to what answer you will get. Chances are local beat bobby will nail you for failing to display yet m-way traffic plod with ANPR will not even notice as it will show up on system as being taxed....

Insurance....caution on this...read the small print is first advice. Insurers will do whatever they can to get off their liability. and if the "rumour" about invalid insurance on way to MOT becomes more prevalent then it opens up a real can of worms. Again a grey area that needs a definitive answer. ie as far as the LAW is concerned a car without a current MOT, being driven to a PRE-BOOKED MOT is deemed to have an MOT until test shows otherwise. Once a car fails an MOT it should be made law that it stays put until fixed or goes on a tow-truck for repair. Just may force folk to take better care of their vehicles...and would stop the current situation where a car can fail an MOT and then be driven back home so matey next door can fix it on the cheap.

I do now, and always have, detested rules and regulations that are written in such a poor way as they become effectively (or non-effectively ) worthless. and new rules and methods come into force without due consideration for knock-on effects.

from a police officer! SARGENT!
Old 12-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Char1ie

Yeah I did this a few weeks ago. Booked an MOT about five miles away and an MOT round the corner from my house. If I got pulled going one way I was on my way to an MOT. If I got pulled coming back, I was on my way to an MOT.

Added the car to the insurance for the day. I told the insurance company that my standard G reg sapphire was going to an MOT and they said fine. I didn't tell them that it was actually a race car.

Charlie

Last edited by Char1ie; 12-08-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan1281
what would the police do if i got pulled with no mot?
Put you up against the firing squad you dirty criminal.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:15 PM
RS_JAY
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I got pulled with no mot a few years ago. Didnt relise. It was a month out. All i got was a £60 fine. Got it mot'd the next day after i got pulled & passed. Not sure how the law stands now.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Dan1281

well just so you all know i didnt risk it, borrowed a transit recovery truck instead, better safe than sorry eh, just got back now, got myself a lovely old 1.6 saff
Old 12-08-2009, 11:22 PM
B16JUS

years ago i got done for no mot £50 plus court costs

J
Old 13-08-2009, 09:05 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

its just a fine, ive just taken my impreza out of storage and booked it in for mot as i had to drive to mansfield last night, the fuckers failed me on 3 bald tyres ( no i didnt realise they was bald as ive had them a year !!!) so was thinking about driving it with no MOT,,, but as said i have 3 bald tyres so had to drive my clio, had it been failed for emissions or something like that then i wouldnt have worried and just paied the fine,,,,,,, though my car would have been passed if the problem was minor,, he just couldnt risk 3 bald tyres leaving with a mot ( the jobs worth fucker pmsl)
Old 13-08-2009, 09:10 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Mate got caught a few months ago, went to court and got off with it as he got it MOT'd the next day and sent thm all the paperwork and a grovelling letter admitting he'd forgotten to MOT it. Bit of a grey area really.
Just get the tyres and be legal, u won't have to worry then.
Old 13-08-2009, 09:23 AM
Ed1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

My mate followed a car up the arse the other week, he had no mot and 2 bald tires, he got 24 points and i dont know about the fine
Old 13-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Ed_van_dijk
My mate followed a car up the arse the other week, he had no mot and 2 bald tires, he got 24 points and i dont know about the fine
no fucking chance he got 24 points for 2 tyres and a mot,,, thats about as real as a guy getting 12 years for driving through a red light

tyres are 3 points each,,, you telling me no MOT is 18 points ????,,,,, 12 points is a ban and if the offence is more serious than giving 12 points they the offence would just be a instant ban,, if its more serious offence than a ban its prison

no MOT being 18 points,,,,, please people the internet is full of bullshit and miss information,,, please think about what your saying before you hit the enter button

to summerise your mate aint telling you all the truth
Old 13-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Ed1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

No, he got done for other things aswell because of no mot he had no insurance, no tax and somthing else also!
Old 13-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Ed_van_dijk
No, he got done for other things aswell because of no mot he had no insurance, no tax and somthing else also!
if he had no tax and no MOT i doubt he bothered with actually PAYING for insurance,,, and thats a fine of 6 points and you cant be issued with 12 points at the side of the road or more at the side of the one in one go,,,, it would be refered to the court to decide as its a automatic 6 month ban and you can ONLY get banned in a court of law with YOU attending

as said theres more to this story and has no relevence to this post,,,, also they would have taken hes car off him too if it was no insurance,,, ive had this done before WHILST i had insurance !!!

i will repeate again,, YOU CAN NOT BE GIVEN 18 POINTS IN ONE SITTING,,,,, IT CAN NOT HAPPEN AS IT WOULD JUST BE A BAN RATHER THAN POINTS

FOR SEPERATE OFFENCES IN SEPERATE TIMES IS DIFFERENT,,,,,, you drive at 102mph with no insurance, no licence, no mot through a red light and recive 15 points by one officer,,,,, he would just send your arse to court where you would just be banned and would recive NO points due to reciving a ban

coppers can only issue fixed penaltys at the side of the road, the court decides if the offence is too severe than a fixed penalty ( if he felt your speed required more than the 3 points, the court will then decide should you have more
Old 13-08-2009, 11:08 AM
liammcl
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got stopped for no MOT, it had expired for 2 months. Copper looked at the tyres etc. and said it should pass anyway and gave me a producer. I had clean forgot about the MOT expiring.