General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

My Granddad has lost his fight :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Granddad has lost his fight :(

Long story short, my grandad was OK when I last saw him, but he had to have an operation on his eye due to cancerous cells on there. He had the op, no bother, all was good

Last Sunday night, he has a leg give way and was stuck on the floor.

My nan says, shall I phone someone, and (as granddads are) "no dont bother anyone, I'm off to bed"

He got himself upstairs, and couldnt manage to get into bed, and as he is an ex army bloke, very big built, my nan obviously couldnt shift him.

So he stayed there on the floor for the night (yes my nan should have done something, regardless).

My uncle finds out the next afternoon and immediately calls an ambulance. I find out and pop by from my way back from work.

I see an ambulance outside my grandparents, and think, ok they are checking up on him. I go inside and upstairs to see my Granddad as white as a ghost. Well more like grey He looked like a dead person at that point, really shocked me..

He is diabetic, has to take blood thinning tablets and has a whole host of other things wrong with him, Kidney problems heart problems etc etc

He is pretty much comatose at this point, and once in the ambulance, I see him wave to my nan out the back (well lift his fingers).

In hospital, they find he has had a stroke and now pneumonia. He slept for 4 days before even doing anything. He has tried talking, a few things we made out which was very good news, especially due to the bleeding on the brain they found doing the brain scan.

So this meant the antibiotics were working!

Didnt go last night so I didnt have an update, this is cos when driving back home from work, I was like I had a really bad flu, and didnt want to pass it on to gramps. As everything was fine, I didnt go.

Went up tonight, got there before anyone else, and was talking to him and found it wierd I didnt get any sort of response.

The doctor called us for a chat tonight; The antibiotics are basically no longer working, they are giving him 2 days to 2 weeks. Moreso 2 days in the case of my Granddad.

My nan thinks everything is fine, as she got the nurse to check his temp, and was perfect. So she "is not worried".

What can I say to her to get her to realise its a bit more serious than she thinks. My Granddad is 87.

They are going to change the antibiotics tomorrow, but I dont bode much hope. He seemed to be doing really well at one stage as well...

Just wanted to get this off my chest.....

Sorry peeps

Last edited by Stu.H; 23-07-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:07 PM
bigjim172000
Me Cossie Runs Atlast!!!!

Shit mate, hope he gets better soon
Old 06-07-2009, 10:08 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Stu my phone is on 24/7 mate if you want a chat , cuppa T or if there is anything at all I can do. ...

Best wishes to him, don't give up as you will be amazed how good the medical treatment is these days!
Old 06-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theres nothing much i can say to help you right now honey, but your gramps is in the best place making him as comfortable as he can possibly be.

Keep us updated. x
Old 06-07-2009, 10:10 PM
fez2i16v
Regular Contributor

dont need to apologise its a hard time when loved ones are poorley im sorry to hear that i hope he gets well soon
Old 06-07-2009, 10:14 PM
yes that is my head

sorry to hear mate and hope he makes it thow, had to watch my drandad die not long ago so no how helpless you feel,

good luck
Old 06-07-2009, 10:16 PM
juffer
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Sorry to here this news stu. Im sure everybody is doing there best and your grandad too.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

Thanks for all the kind words, I am kinda close to him and they did bring a tear to my eye.

He also had a urine infection which can knock older people right off their feet. That coupled with his eye infection and all the others, its a losing battle.

Will be surprised and euphoric if the new antibiotics make a change tomorrow.
I'm dreading the phone ringing

Thanks for the nice comments folks ..
Old 06-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by juffer
Sorry to here this news stu. Im sure everybody is doing there best and your grandad too.
Im sure they are mate, its just I think he has had enough of visiting the doctors/hospital about all the other stuff. He said himself months ago he couldnt be bothered anymore.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Im gutted for you i hope everything is gonna be ok.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:23 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

really sorry to hear your troubles mate, all i can say is he is 87 so had a fairly good innings, you can't exactly say it was a short life, i bet he has many amaizing stories from the past, i wish you and him all the best, and do hope he can recover, but don't feel too bad about it and just think of keeping you nan comfortable and loved and i'm sure she will cope too.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:28 PM
RSTurboSI
BANNED
BANNED

regards your nan, there's nothing you can do, she knows hes not fine deep down and is hiding it, alot of people do it this way, think everything is fine, but you clearly know its not but your brain wont allow it to think there is something wrong. the best you can do is keep supporting them both throw what is a real bad time, i know what your feeling mate, its not nice, because they are the best mates in the world.

all i can say is, lets hope the new tablets help him and give him some more life to live, enjoy and be happy, but dude, chin up, be brave and fight with him.. he'll notice mate he really will. and lets hope everything goes well

keep us updated

Last edited by RSTurboSI; 06-07-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by RSTurboSI
regards your nan, there's nothing you can do, she knows hes not fine deep down and is hiding it, alot of people do it this way, think everything is fine, but you clearly know its not but your brain wont allow it to think there is something wrong. the best you can do is keep supporting them both throw what is a real bad time, i know what your feeling mate, its not nice, because they are the best mates in the world.

all i can say is, lets hope the new tablets help him and give him some more life to live, enjoy and be happy, but dude, chin up, be brave and fight with him.. he'll notice mate he really will. and lets hope everything goes well

keep us updated
Thanks for taking the time to reply, it IS appreciated!

Old 06-07-2009, 10:43 PM
bodug60
Virgin

I know I'm new here, but I'm feeling your pain. Lots of love and good energies to your gramps and your family during this time.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:45 PM
RSTurboSI
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Stu.H
Thanks for taking the time to reply, it IS appreciated!

i know how you feel. ive been in the same as you, i just didnt have the chance to even say goodbye. but she will always be in my heart, and you should make the most of what is here, its hard. its tuff. but hell. Make him laugh, make him just be himself, and giving up is no answer tell him. Always a fighter.. he'll pull throw and once hes himself and forgets about it, you know you done the best in the world, made him happy and you'll always know that
Old 06-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mate, stay positive, even in the gravest of situations things CAN turn around. Honestly they can. These old folk are tougher than we give them credit for at times.

Positivity is the key, your Nan knows that. Now join her on that train of thought and give him a few more years!
Old 06-07-2009, 10:53 PM
CRAIG HAYTER
BANNED
BANNED

sorry to hear about this
Old 06-07-2009, 10:55 PM
chameleon
PassionFord Regular

sorry to hear this mate,i know i dont know you but i do feel sad....
just be there for your nan mate thats all you can do really........fingers crossed for you mate.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:34 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
Mate, stay positive, even in the gravest of situations things CAN turn around. Honestly they can. These old folk are tougher than we give them credit for at times.
This is so true, my dad had a stroke few years ago. Basicly lost use of his left side and his swallowing, had pneumonia cos of aspirating,coma the works. Long story short they called me in 5 times as "he was about to pass away" and he never once at 1 in the morning i got the call, get down here asap by the time i got there he was sat up in bed laughing and joking.
If you need anything at ALL mate let me know, i know what it's like.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:20 AM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

Called the hospital this morning, there is no difference at the moment.

Thanks for all the kind words..
Old 07-07-2009, 08:29 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope your grandad gets better mate.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:04 AM
shagster42
Part of the Furniture

Know how you feel mate we just lost my uncle to pancreatic cancer last week. We found out when he was taken into hospital 2 weeks later got the phone call he had died only 57 as well. Lifes tough at times but keep your chin up mate.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Hope your grandad gets better mate and hope you bearing up well Stu
Old 07-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Still thinking of you Stu...
Old 07-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

Thanks everyone, it sure makes PF more of a community when things like this happen and people need a shoulder to cry on so to speak.

Went up hospital again tonight. Yesterday he wasnt responding to pain, but when they tested his blood this afternoon, apparently he jumped when they stuck the pin in. Also his legs are moving occasionally in a not "nerves" way. You can see his eyes moving behind his eyelids as well again. This was not apparent in the last day or 2. He pretty much 'coughed' properly as well tonight. He is still 'asleep', but its a better state of affairs than yesterday.

Maybe he is responding to the antibiotics, after 6 days. We are kinda putting it down to him trying to talk too much and us trying to get too much out of him a few days ago, when you could KIND of understand what he is saying. He may have used all his energy responding to voices, when maybe we should have just left him be.

Still a million percent to go, but a 1% improvement is still a great improvement given the circumstances.

Its been an exhausting week, with my grandad and me having one day weekends and up the hospital every night.

I REALLY appreciate the comments though folks, makes a change from reading about gt47 turbo's.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:14 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Thoughts are with you Stu, hope he gets better soon mate.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

Hi Lee, cheers, I dont think it will be "soon" by any strech of the imagination.

I just hope he gets "better" than he is...

Old 08-07-2009, 05:19 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

a little bit of good news goes a hell of a long way in this sort of situation mate
Old 15-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

They have given him a week at most.

He hasnt had any drugs for a while now, and mum said today his breathing has got worse (despite the hourly draining of his lungs)

I dont know whether to feel thankful he is still alive or not

He isnt in any pain, but thinking back to his day life, taking 18 tablets for various things and umpteen visits to the doctors/hospitals, even Gramps said he didnt want it.

They said he is definitely a fighter, but why now and for what reason?

As of Monday gone, he has been unconcious/comatised for 2 weeks..

I cant see him coming round TBH

Last edited by Stu.H; 15-07-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 15-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Oh stu honey.....

God only takes the good people....
Old 15-07-2009, 07:25 PM
DazS1Turbo
Advanced PassionFord User

Sorry to hear this - very sad

Be strong
Old 15-07-2009, 08:08 PM
The Sludge
garibaldi

stu mate very sory to hear this, you got me number if anytime you want to chat or go for a beer pal
Old 15-07-2009, 08:14 PM
RST
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Sorry to hear this mate.
Old 20-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

Well the update is not good; It has been decided that as of this morning, his food will cease to be supplied as well as other stuff

He has had an extra 4 days of drugs as well as other extras they were'nt going to give him, but did..

But was told yesterday that he isnt any better and wont get any better, so the food etc is stopped and they will still clear out his lungs every few hours to keep him "comfortable"...

Such a shame, if people think they dont visit their grandparents enough, now is the time to do it. Unfortunately you think they are invincible, like your parents, but times like this make it too late to realise...

I went and saw him yesterday, kissed his head, and said, "have a good sleep"...

We will all be there before long............

Old 20-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Awwwwwwwww Stu sweetheart
Old 20-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Mk1-stu
Patronus

aw man, that really sucks
Old 20-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Sorry Stu mate
Old 20-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Punkie
For Sale..Apply within.

Sorry to hear this Stu. I get choaked up reading about people in hospital, especially old people.

We're going through a similar thing with my Nana (Mums side)

My nan is on anti depressants, has diabetes so is on injections for that, tablets for keeping her bowels moving (which are not working...this is what the main issue is...her waste is all backing up, giving her water infections, poisoning her from the inside) tablets for her kidneys, eyes, blood pressure, thyroid...you name it shes had it or got it.

She had gall stones, had them removed, had a hip replaced, had a knee replaced....shes a fighter but we can see shes losing the war.

Really sorry to hear about this and remember the good times. Its what gets you through the bad ones.
Old 20-07-2009, 10:05 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

sorry to hear Stu.
Old 20-07-2009, 10:20 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

really sorry to hear that mate.

Quick Reply: My Granddad has lost his fight :(