General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anyone advise please

Search this Thread

Old 15-05-2009, 11:02 AM
peter5205
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone advise please

Hi everyone

i have the Mondeo ST220 2002 plate. Just done 63k miles.
Been a great car. still is.

Iv noticed the clutch is starting to slip slightly.
No problem booking her in for a clutch.
But wondering about these poxy DM flywheels.
I would like to get it replaced whilst its all apart.
Problem is this, they can get and fit another new DM flywheel for me for £350.
But can i put a normal solid flywheel in it?
Is there any draw backs there? Or could that do damage?
So am i best sticking to whats meant to be in it the DMF.?
I know there are issues arond the DMf that they are crap and dont last long.
My 220 does the odd time not turn over, it just grinds, me suspecting the ring gear on certain stages around it are gone.

Can anyone please advise, id be most grateful, as im booking her in at end of this month for the work, and need to choose solid if poss or new DMF.

Thanks
Old 15-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

Cant see why a ST24 clutch and fly wouldn't fit?
Old 15-05-2009, 11:49 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

i think ginge knows what the part numbers are for the solid replacement flywheel for the 220

you need to have the right one

alternativly, ask here for more info
Old 15-05-2009, 01:11 PM
peter5205
Virgin

great hope hes around soon,

do you happen to know if the part numbers that ginge would know are ford ones??
or is the replacement fly a non ford part?

some said that the solid fly could do more damage as the dmf is there to soak up torque and that it could lead the shock to another part such as crank etc.
Old 15-05-2009, 04:19 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your starter is sometime grinding you will find its not the teeth on the starter ring, but bits of metal from the dmf clogging up the starter its self.

Sometimes a good clean will do the trick for the starter motor to be fine for another 6 month if you dont change the dmf,but then you can run the risk of fooking up the starter aswell.

Best thing would to be when clutch is out get who ever it is to check the dmf for movement, about 5mm and i would say change it, thats movement in a clockwise/anticlockwise direction as you look at it face on.

Also when this is all being done i would get them to check the crank seal as these start to weep and for a £1.50 a seal its much better to change it now rather than later, in fact if youre going to all this bother and you do have a new dmf then i would change it just for the hell of it to be happy that it wont leak in the future.

My mate did me a *deal* because he works at Fords and he did say that people are moving towards a solid fly because of how shit the dmf are, i think the only problem he had heard of at the time was an un-even idle, abit lumpy.
Old 15-05-2009, 04:34 PM
peter5205
Virgin

Well having thought and read that I'll just stick with new clutch kit and new dmf with crank seal and get em to clean starter etc do you know if there's any bother with subframe going back in place? I ask cos they arnt ford dealer but are v good and havnt let me down yet! Btw iv been quoted 870 all in done for clutch dmf labour etc
Originally Posted by st3v3
if your starter is sometime grinding you will find its not the teeth on the starter ring, but bits of metal from the dmf clogging up the starter its self.

Sometimes a good clean will do the trick for the starter motor to be fine for another 6 month if you dont change the dmf,but then you can run the risk of fooking up the starter aswell.

Best thing would to be when clutch is out get who ever it is to check the dmf for movement, about 5mm and i would say change it, thats movement in a clockwise/anticlockwise direction as you look at it face on.

Also when this is all being done i would get them to check the crank seal as these start to weep and for a £1.50 a seal its much better to change it now rather than later, in fact if youre going to all this bother and you do have a new dmf then i would change it just for the hell of it to be happy that it wont leak in the future.

My mate did me a *deal* because he works at Fords and he did say that people are moving towards a solid fly because of how shit the dmf are, i think the only problem he had heard of at the time was an un-even idle, abit lumpy.