General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

nokia 5800 reviews - anybody ?

Search this Thread

Old 13-05-2009 | 05:45 PM
Tangodeltasierra3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Default nokia 5800 reviews - anybody ?

hey i just wondered if anyone was using a nokia 5800 phone ? wat do u think so far ? whats the touch screen like to use ? is it easy to text quickly ? is it bulky to carry in pockets etc...ta
Old 13-05-2009 | 05:56 PM
smerth54
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

also would like to know about thinking of getting this for my next upgrade
Old 13-05-2009 | 06:10 PM
RS Bowk
Advanced PassionFord User

There is a post of mine on here asking the same Question a few months back. Most people on here slatted it but i have had the fone about 4weeks now and can honestly say it IS the best fone ive ever had and i dont usually get excited about fones. The touch sceen is much easier to use than i expected as the mrs has a samsung and is harder to use for the touch screen than mine. Not too bulky TBH.

Just getting into using it as an MP3 player now and am using it at work into my hifi and its ace.

Have a look at gsm arena and also my mobile phone review. search both sites as they got some good write ups on them.

HTH
Old 13-05-2009 | 06:12 PM
Pardeep
PF's Guitar God!!!

Its a N95 with a Touch Screen. I personally didn't like it. I'd say get a iPhone and Jailbreak it. I returned my 5800 a day after owning it. Or if your patient and can wait. If you like the N95 then the N97 is gonna be he phone to get.
Old 13-05-2009 | 06:57 PM
coswurv
PassionFord Post Troll

My upgrade is due so i went and had a play with the nokia 5800 today and the iphone, nokia is pretty good, quite thick in size but touch screen is very responsive, as for the iphone i was greatly dissapointed, all the usuals like bluetooth isnt there only for headset so no file sharing between friends, no mms service, and all these apps for this apps for that its a load of old bollox simple stuff like that should be pre installed like it has been on most handsets for 10 years i didnt like it.
Old 13-05-2009 | 07:02 PM
Pardeep
PF's Guitar God!!!

Originally Posted by coswurv
My upgrade is due so i went and had a play with the nokia 5800 today and the iphone, nokia is pretty good, quite thick in size but touch screen is very responsive, as for the iphone i was greatly dissapointed, all the usuals like bluetooth isnt there only for headset so no file sharing between friends, no mms service, and all these apps for this apps for that its a load of old bollox simple stuff like that should be pre installed like it has been on most handsets for 10 years i didnt like it.
Thats why you Jail Break it mate. Once its broken, you can have apps that remind you when your missus is on. MMS is available once its broken into as well. As for the File sharing Bluetooth, you can. Mine did it without Jail Breaking it.
Old 13-05-2009 | 07:04 PM
turbo_3dr_tommy

I got one and love it but each to there own really
Old 13-05-2009 | 07:08 PM
coswurv
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by stillbornhq
Thats why you Jail Break it mate. Once its broken, you can have apps that remind you when your missus is on. MMS is available once its broken into as well. As for the File sharing Bluetooth, you can. Mine did it without Jail Breaking it.
Well the bloke in the shop said bluetooth is for headset only and doesnt allow music or video transfer and the only way you can send pics is via e-mail, so i said "what so i can register my msn hotmail with it" he said "it doesnt work with msn", then i was told you cant drag and drop mp3 files off my pc onto it and use them as ring tones etc or message alerts, you have to register your debit card with itunes to be able to download apps also, why ?? all three shops said most of this and recon its an ipod with a simcard in ??
Old 13-05-2009 | 07:13 PM
Pardeep
PF's Guitar God!!!

Well the bloke in the shop said bluetooth is for headset only and doesnt allow music or video transfer and the only way you can send pics is via e-mail, so i said "what so i can register my msn hotmail with it" he said "it doesnt work with msn", then i was told you cant drag and drop mp3 files off my pc onto it and use them as ring tones etc or message alerts, you have to register your debit card with itunes to be able to download apps also, why ?? all three shops said most of this and recon its an ipod with a simcard in ??
There are 2 kinds off people who work in the shops. People who actually sit down with the device and go through it and the others are just fuckers who don't have a clue about it.

All the things are possible. As for registering you DB Card??? JAILBREAK IT!!! You wouldn't have to pay for applications. And it does work with MSN Hotmail. I sorted my Sister In-Laws iPhone with her Hotmail Add.

Best thing to do when it comes to phone is read up online. These fuckers in the shop don't now shit. I bet half of them haven't a clue about jailbreaking.
Old 13-05-2009 | 07:40 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED

I bet half of them haven't a clue about jailbreaking.

probably because of the legal issues involved with jailbreaking phones staff working in mobile phone shops can not dicuss it with customers whether they know about it or not!

to the original poster, DON'T GET A NOKIA 5800, i used to work with phones and i can say these phones are shit!

too many issues to list.

get an i phone if you want internet access!
Old 13-05-2009 | 07:42 PM
RS Bowk

Couldnt disagree with more with above statement.

Please list a few of the main issues you feel is a problem Cheekydog
Old 13-05-2009 | 07:45 PM
coswurv
PassionFord Post Troll

Ok say i go out and get one tomorrow, how do i set it to send and recieve mms picture messages, send pics and mp3 via bluetooth and set mp3's as ringtones etc without registering my debit card details ??
Old 13-05-2009 | 07:50 PM
Pardeep
PF's Guitar God!!!

Ok say i go out and get one tomorrow, how do i set it to send and recieve mms picture messages, send pics and mp3 via bluetooth and set mp3's as ringtones etc without registering my debit card details ??
JAILBREAK. Google it. BUT, Look at what software versions it is available for first. As it voids your warranty.

All your questions have answers, Google is your Friend.
Old 13-05-2009 | 07:53 PM
coswurv
PassionFord Post Troll

JAILBREAK. Google it. BUT, Look at what software versions it is available for first. As it voids your warranty.

All your questions have answers, Google is your Friend.
Im trying to have a look but so many sites i just dont know lol, who's done it and can just explain what to do and how to set it to do what i listed above ?
Old 13-05-2009 | 07:59 PM
s1 rst project
Part of the Furniture

i wouldnt get 1 i have 1 im havin problems from the touch screen freezin to deletin my sim numbers not what its cracked up to be in talks with o2 to give me a blackberry instead as this phone is rubbish
Old 13-05-2009 | 08:08 PM
JohnnyB
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well I have a nokia for ever, got a blackberry perl from work, brillaint would not go back
Old 13-05-2009 | 08:09 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED

Originally Posted by RS Bowk
Couldnt disagree with more with above statement.

Please list a few of the main issues you feel is a problem Cheekydog
well having worked in cpw for a lil while i can confirm nokia 5800's are being returned within the 28 days return policy or getting sent off for repair under 1 years warrenty!

touch screen playing up,
soft ware issue which doesn't allow you to use the internet features propery,

mainly software issues of a wide range of problems.
Old 13-05-2009 | 08:16 PM
RS Bowk

Originally Posted by cheeky dog
well having worked in cpw for a lil while i can confirm nokia 5800's are being returned within the 28 days return policy or getting sent off for repair under 1 years warrenty!

touch screen playing up,
soft ware issue which doesn't allow you to use the internet features propery,

mainly software issues of a wide range of problems.
It seems most new Nokias often have software issues within the 1st few months. lol

Hence why i wait for a few months to buy a new Nokia, so they can iron there issues
Old 13-05-2009 | 08:22 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED

Originally Posted by RS Bowk
It seems most new Nokias often have software issues within the 1st few months. lol

Hence why i wait for a few months to buy a new Nokia, so they can iron there issues

indeedy

nokias are the best tho imo
Old 13-05-2009 | 08:44 PM
Tangodeltasierra3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

mmmmm a bit of a mixed bag really, this phones been out months now so i thought problems would be rectified by now too, im going to buy a mobile phone magazine and see whats about at the minute i think, when the N97 released ?
Old 13-05-2009 | 09:23 PM
Rex Kramer
Danger Seeker

Out in July. Only problem is I'm only 6 months into my contract

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobi...-n97?WT.srch=1
Old 14-05-2009 | 08:19 PM
s1 rst project
Part of the Furniture

my 5800 is been swapped at the o2 shop for a phone of my choice as they are crap its deleted all my saved pictures today dont get 1 the bloke on the phone new before id even told him the modle what phone it was and said he's already had loads back so blackberry here i come
Old 14-05-2009 | 08:26 PM
Dal_
PassionFord Post Troll

Any phone will have issues. Much like cars - some never give problems, some more than others within the same brand / model.

I've had my 5800 a while now and it's never faultered once. Internet is seemless either though 3G or home Wifi, touch screen works great and generally has all the features you could want on a mobile phone IMO.
Old 14-05-2009 | 08:46 PM
GTi-R23
The ladies love it French

Originally Posted by Puma_dal
Any phone will have issues. Much like cars - some never give problems, some more than others within the same brand / model.

I've had my 5800 a while now and it's never faultered once. Internet is seemless either though 3G or home Wifi, touch screen works great and generally has all the features you could want on a mobile phone IMO.
Totally agree, I'm made up with mine, can't fault it at all. The sat nav is well handy and easy to use, also use Nokia Sports Tracker as I do alot of cycling, so it's good for that too, got all my music on it, camera is decent enough (not brilliant) and it does everything else well, touch screen is really easy to use, great phone imho