General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Yums Dyno Day Today **Result's page 2 & 3**

Search this Thread

Old 22-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Its Dave
Yes looking forward to my new clutch slave

Will keep the heat away from the bottle
Find the hidden 'reyland' stamp!!
Old 22-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Its Dave
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by miller3
Me and bex will pop over if you like Dave

Yes that would be good, what you like with a set of spanners

Will drop you a PM
Old 22-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Miller 3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I fix lorries for a living Dave so i should be ok lol
Old 22-04-2009, 10:04 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chip
And so it should be, Mark invested nearly twenty seconds of his time entering the values for it.

It can do a LOT better than that mate, that was literally just to get it into the right ballpark.

In the car it can also be set so that you get boost based on throttle angle, which can make it VERY easy to drive, even with such monster power, none of the normal cossie problems of you give it 25% throttle and once its spooled you get full boost anyway!

The boost control on SM4 is just superb!

chip, that is a basic requirments of after market ecu's nowasdays isnt it ?!

also, is the autronic valve better than air/air ?

ive mapped t6 boost maps and the control was perfect, (on air injectors) it stays exactly where you want it

also, didnt the indy cars use air injectors ?

they were set to hold for example 6.8psi as the blow off valve would go off at 7psi and obviously empty the system so losing ground to the other cars surely you cant get more precise than this

dave, theres a pm on your way

Last edited by J1mbo; 22-04-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Old 22-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Its Dave
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by J1mbo

dave, theres a pm on your way

Replyed
Old 22-04-2009, 10:21 PM
Andy_R
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Impressive power Dave, hope all go's well and your enjoying it in car before long. Its been a long haul! I'm sure it will be worth the wait though.
Old 22-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

chip, that is a basic requirments of after market ecu's nowasdays isnt it ?!
Kind of, several of them dont implement it very well though, the autronic is extremely configurable on the boost control side you can 3d map it against anything you want.
Old 22-04-2009, 11:00 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Kind of, several of them dont implement it very well though, the autronic is extremely configurable on the boost control side you can 3d map it against anything you want.
cool, ill have to take a peek at your nova's autronic some time
Old 22-04-2009, 11:04 PM
Chip

Old 22-04-2009, 11:04 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Come on Chip we need to know exactly what it can take into account of for boost contol so we can compare
Old 22-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by martin-reyland
Come on Chip we need to know exactly what it can take into account of for boost contol so we can compare
Any parameter the ecu can see, compared against any other parameter the ecu can see, then if you wish you can take the resultant value, and use it as an input to another table.

So for example, you can map the boost so its based on throttle angle and rpm, but then you can also vary it according to intake temp as well if you wish.

If you do it throttle angle and rpm based, it means you can make it so that you have a curve at each setpoint, so that you get a totally flat torque curve.

So you could have 25% throttle = 250lbft all the way up
50% throttle = 350lbft all the way up
75% throttle = 450lbft all the way up
The 100% throttle being as much as its got.

To get 350lbft all the way up, you might have 1 bar at some rpm points, and 1.3 rpm at others, and everything in between.

Or if you want to just have a fixed amount of boost per throttle angle you can do that instead.

On Robs astra for example, it has boost related to throttle angle, but at the top of the rev range where the VE is starting to drop off, it increases the boost slightly to compensate to keep the torque curve as flat as possible.
Old 22-04-2009, 11:09 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Originally Posted by martin-reyland

i think its rather like pectel

im guessing so correct me chip, autronic had one "page" to do all the boost control

eg boost related throttle boost related revs, so the can all be mapped in correlation with each other

pectel has different screens, it can be mapped boost/throttle and boost/revs

just not at the same time, they have seperate mapping screens ?
Old 22-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Chip

i think its rather like pectel

im guessing so correct me chip, autronic had one "page" to do all the boost control

eg boost related throttle boost related revs, so the can all be mapped in correlation with each other

pectel has different screens, it can be mapped boost/throttle and boost/revs

just not at the same time, they have seperate mapping screens ?

The autronic is very flexible, you can setup one page (table is a better term for it in this context though TBH mate) so that it has an output which is a number off a 3d table based on 2 parameters, and instead of using this value directly, you can put it into a variable within the ecu, you can then use that as a direct input on another table.
So they arent just corrections, you can acutally build up a 4d or 5d table if you wish.

Its this use of user definable variables that exist purely within the software (ie they have no physical pin) that can be the output from one table and then input to another, that is particuarly flexible.
Old 22-04-2009, 11:21 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

The autronic is very flexible, you can setup one page (table is a better term for it in this context though TBH mate) so that it has an output which is a number off a 3d table based on 2 parameters, and instead of using this value directly, you can put it into a variable within the ecu, you can then use that as a direct input on another table.
So they arent just corrections, you can acutally build up a 4d or 5d table if you wish.

Its this use of user definable variables that exist purely within the software (ie they have no physical pin) that can be the output from one table and then input to another, that is particuarly flexible.

this does sound all good, but necessary ???

wouldnt the basic boost control like boost/revs and boost/throttle angle be enough ?

what have you mapped your boost in connection with ? throttle and rpm or have you gone in depth with yours ?

jim
Old 22-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Chip

This isnt quite a definitive list as I couldnt screen grab any bigger resolution on this laptop, but this shows some of the available parameters.
(in fact it shows a little over a quarter of the available choices for each axis)

You can set any one to be X axis, then any one to be the Y axis.

You can then take the output from that table if you wish, and use it as an input to another table as the X axis, and the Y axis could then be the output from a further 3D table with two other physical or software parameters on it.

It really is more or less infinately flexible in this respect.

Last edited by Chip; 22-04-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old 22-04-2009, 11:25 PM
Chip

this does sound all good, but necessary ???

wouldnt the basic boost control like boost/revs and boost/throttle angle be enough ?

what have you mapped your boost in connection with ? throttle and rpm or have you gone in depth with yours ?

jim

Ive not mapped my car yet mate, still got to put the new gearbox in it yet.

When I do so though, I will map it based on a combination of 4 values
Water temp (so I dont get full boost until the engine is up to temp)
A switch in the car (so I can choose a high or low resolution for the throttle)
TPS (this will essentially be combined with the switch to form the user request element of the table, so i'll have one table TPS versus the Switch with an output from that to give the torque request essentially)
RPM (as different boost is required at different rpm points in order to give a particular torque value)
Old 22-04-2009, 11:36 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Ive not mapped my car yet mate, still got to put the new gearbox in it yet.

When I do so though, I will map it based on a combination of 4 values
Water temp (so I dont get full boost until the engine is up to temp)
A switch in the car (so I can choose a high or low resolution for the throttle)
TPS (this will essentially be combined with the switch to form the user request element of the table, so i'll have one table TPS versus the Switch with an output from that to give the torque request essentially)
RPM (as different boost is required at different rpm points in order to give a particular torque value)

ahh i see, thought you had mapped it !

they seem a good choice of things to choose

just one complaint,

your terminology when explaining things could be a little more user friendly
im (only !) just about getting all of it
Old 22-04-2009, 11:41 PM
Chip

TBH mate, im trying my best to explain it in laymans terms, but its not very easy to do so in a post on the internet without it going on for hundreds of lines and then you'll just not bother to read it all, so im trying to pitch it at a level you should just about get.

Terms like "user request" seem pretty obvious to me TBH, its what the user wants, ie a bit of acceleration or a lot to put it in REALLY simple terms, lol
Old 22-04-2009, 11:43 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

TBH mate, im trying my best to explain it in laymans terms, but its not very easy to do so in a post on the internet without it going on for hundreds of lines and then you'll just not bother to read it all, so im trying to pitch it at a level you should just about get.

i would read it chip as im intriqued in things like this !

i also understand it, im just thinking of others who want to read and understand, but your doing a good job lol
Old 22-04-2009, 11:47 PM
Chip

TBH, if people have no experience of mapping or some other form of calibration or programming of computer software, they have very little odds of understanding it off a few forum posts, they would be better off reading a book on the subject I would imagine.
Some things are a bit too big a subject for a forum thread IMHO
Old 22-04-2009, 11:48 PM
Chip

PS

And if its just mainly for your benefit, Id be better off chatting to you about it on the phone or over a pint, far easier than all this typing, lol
Old 22-04-2009, 11:58 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

PS

And if its just mainly for your benefit, Id be better off chatting to you about it on the phone or over a pint, far easier than all this typing, lol
yeah for my benefit tbh, im still learning LOL

next time the nova is out ill have to come have a chat about the mapping on autronic, it seems to be much different to what im used to and its interesting to learn about the different ways each company does things
Old 23-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Chip

Ok mate.

Fingers crossed the nova's hardware lets me make use of it, as ultimately you are always limited by that!
For example on Rob's astra, the boost control was perfect on his old manifold, but when he got a different spec one and a different turbo hotside, he now finds he gets boost creep at the top end, and there is nothing I can do about it as it does it even when running wastegate spring pressure, so is obviously limited by the wastegate outlet on the manifold's flow potential, no ecu can change that, so it might be a while before I have bugs like that ironed out on my car, as I obvously dont yet know what they will be as ive never had it running hard enough to find out yet.
Old 23-04-2009, 12:34 AM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by vikingboy
Marks working on mine after Daves is done.....should hopefully see some decent numbers too.....
I thought your was done a few years back?

Mike
Old 23-04-2009, 01:08 AM
yappstar
BANNED
BANNED

This page is awesome, nice one chip and jim, good convo
Old 23-04-2009, 08:45 AM
saph4be
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CHIP well worded i can understand that quite well interesting stuff
Old 23-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Chip, i mentioned this on another post but not sure if you saw it.

I haven't used the 3d boost control yet but i can see a flaw with it at the moment. Cruising in 5th, i can give a small amount of thottle, the boost comes in slowly but isn't limited, this is great for overtaking on the motorway when you don't want to blast past.

With a throttle vs rpm map, you are going to lose this. If I were to set 20% throttle to a bar of boost, i'm going to need to be heavier on the throttle - it will likely make the car feel flatter. Also, what about spool up? A big turbo, 2nd gear and you want boost asap, but not 'full' boost. So, you limit the boost using only 50% throttle - which is great, but 50% throttle is going to increase lag slightly. You could of course use full throttle, then as soon as it kicks come back off, but this ckind of defeates the object and doesn't help the 5th gear driveability issue.

The Apexi AVCR seems to be the better solution if it works in practice - gear based and rpm bases boost - keep your foot in and everything is done for you.

Rick.
Old 23-04-2009, 10:21 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick

I haven't used the 3d boost control yet but i can see a flaw with it at the moment. Cruising in 5th, i can give a small amount of thottle, the boost comes in slowly but isn't limited, this is great for overtaking on the motorway when you don't want to blast past.

With a throttle vs rpm map, you are going to lose this. If I were to set 20% throttle to a bar of boost, i'm going to need to be heavier on the throttle - it will likely make the car feel flatter. Also, what about spool up? A big turbo, 2nd gear and you want boost asap, but not 'full' boost. So, you limit the boost using only 50% throttle - which is great, but 50% throttle is going to increase lag slightly. You could of course use full throttle, then as soon as it kicks come back off, but this ckind of defeates the object and doesn't help the 5th gear driveability issue.

The Apexi AVCR seems to be the better solution if it works in practice - gear based and rpm bases boost - keep your foot in and everything is done for you.

Rick.
in your motorway scenario the boost that you would get is 'limited' anyway by the throttle. i don't see a difference

and your 2nd gear scenario, if you want boost asap then why aren't you using full throttle?
Old 23-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Boosr isn't limited by the throttle enough in 5th gear. because the engine is loaded, it's very easy to make boost on part throttle - this isn't going to be the same on all engine specs.

Full throttle will lead to max boost and just spin up the wheels.

Rick.
Old 23-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Rick

Rick.
Rick, the autronic can do gear/speed based boost anyway, you have RPM set points at which the map switches, so it sounds like you just arent using it correctly if you are failing to achieve that, in the same way that I mentioned you can change the resolution based on a switch, you can change it based on a gear/speed if you wish.
So in that scenario, you would simply use the 2nd half of the throttle travel only, so 50% throttle would be your low boost, and 100% would be your highest boost, and you can still choose any point in between it just involves smaller movements of the throttle.

But yes you are correct that if doing it the way you mention on a basic 3d map and you want quick spool but then only small boost, you simply push your foot down further to aid spool then back off to the boost that you want. Which works fine anyway IME

Im not aware of anything at all that the apexi can do which the autronic cant.

Last edited by Chip; 23-04-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 23-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Chip, i've not even looked at it yet - if it does gear based than that's all good
Old 23-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Chip

It can do ANYTHING based mate if you want

But gears are explicitly catered for via the map switching, you set 3 setpoints of speed to swap between them, have a look at the boost setpoint options in the menu.
Old 23-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

It can do ANYTHING based mate if you want

But gears are explicitly catered for via the map switching, you set 3 setpoints of speed to swap between them, have a look at the boost setpoint options in the menu.
Mines set at 'balls out' for all scenarios . Cant believe all this limiting caper surely if you stick an air-pump on your engine you need to use it not limit it.
Old 23-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by MadRod
Mines set at 'balls out' for all scenarios . Cant believe all this limiting caper surely if you stick an air-pump on your engine you need to use it not limit it.
If you had ever done a trackday, you might realise the importance of limiting the amount of power that you have when coming out of a bend, if your tyres are already very near to their grip limit through cornering forces, there is very little left to accelerate with initially. Especially in a non 4wd car.

So a progressive power delivery is very important.

If all you want to do is bang up and down an airfield in a straight line though, im sure you are correct that balls out is the way to go.

Last edited by Chip; 23-04-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old 23-04-2009, 01:05 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Chip,

Before i pester Mark. Can my vipec do that boost v rpm stuff?
Old 23-04-2009, 01:06 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

If all you want to do is bang up and down an airfield in a straight line though, im sure you are correct that balls out is the way to go.
the old turkey skin will be at risk from fire though. can you get a nomex nad sack cover?
Old 23-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by CossieRich
Chip,

Before i pester Mark. Can my vipec do that boost v rpm stuff?
I would imagine given the people involved in writing the Vipec software that it has similar functions but Ive not ever mapped one and only ever had a brief look at the software, will have a proper look sometime for you mate, as not got it on my work pc only my laptop.
Old 23-04-2009, 01:45 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

cheers Chippa
Old 23-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Head back on, New sump on and ready tomorrow

Mark
Old 23-04-2009, 07:59 PM