General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

steering wheel judder

Search this Thread

Old 14-04-2009, 10:15 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Default steering wheel judder

ony one shed light on the wheel judder i'm getting when i corner hard it's getting really strong could it be the rack on its way out i'v already changed the lower arms made it a little better but this juddering is getting on my nerves cheer's
Old 15-04-2009, 04:47 AM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Track rod ends or ARB bushes
Old 15-04-2009, 07:36 PM
burnzy
burnzy

cheers mate it'll have to be the arb bushes cos it has fairly new track rod ends on it, it's getting really fijjity on the roads at the mo, i might just go with giving the hole front end a service, to save having it in bit's all the time trying to get it back to normal
Old 15-04-2009, 09:24 PM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

So its had both track rod ends and track control arms done ?

Is it predominantly only happening one way or both ?
Old 15-04-2009, 10:42 PM
burnzy
burnzy

yea both arms and end's have been done, i'm not 100% but sure it's in both directions, it's as i really push it round a corner the wheel seems to judder quite hard from side to side i thought it was my tyres at first but they have been changed too, it's lowered 35mm but my old tyres seemed to be quite badly worn on the insides and i'v had the tracking done not recently but haven't bashed it up any curbs so should still be ok, i'd honestly like to get it sorted cos it just don't seem right handling wise atm

i'v also noticed it skips along the road quite alot with the road surface and i'm fighting the wheel more than normal, i will add that i have blown a shock out over a pot hole and haven't sorted it yet but i'm sure i had the problem before i blew the shock out it's just got worse over time, cheers for putting some time to try and help us out though mate much appreciated
Old 15-04-2009, 10:51 PM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Well it sounds like the tracking maybe set wrong if its tramlining on the road or your on the completley wrong settings on bigger wheels ? Or one side could be running upset caster if something is bent from the pot hole.

Does it stop wobbling if you gently press the brake in the corner but keep the power on ?

Check ARB and steering rack bushes first though as they are easiest to sort out.
Old 16-04-2009, 11:02 AM
IANS2RST
PassionFord Post Troll

what car?

Trending Topics

Old 28-04-2009, 07:30 PM
burnzy
burnzy

ok sorry for the late reply but i thought i'd give it a thorough look over before i came back, and in the mean time i'v changed the arb bushes and drop links and it's still there, it's only when i corner hard to the left, i put my car through a geometry at work and the tracking is now spot on and the camber was in spec so that should all be ok.

now i'm supspecting the track rod ends i did replace them but there are probs about 5,000 miles old now i just expected them to last alot longer they are spurious ones and i give them grief so could they give up that soon?

i can't feel any play in the rack but what about the rack ends too could that also cause the problem i might aswell get it all replaced cos it's just going into 65,000miles and i can guess most of it will be original on the car, admitted though the rack ends seemed ok cos when had the track rod ends off the hub the rack ends stayed stiff in there position and didn't flop all over the place.

oh yea this is all on my mk5 esco
Old 28-04-2009, 10:47 PM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Any play in the driveshaft ?
Old 29-04-2009, 04:49 PM
focus 4x4
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

try changing front struts. had a similar problem with my car a few years ago.
Old 29-04-2009, 06:19 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Originally Posted by NUTS RuS
Any play in the driveshaft ?
haven't checked to be honest mate will look in a minute and report back, i could really do with getting this sorted too cos i'm worried i'll be shredding tyres, or destroying other bushes with how bad it's getting

Originally Posted by focus 4x4
try changing front struts. had a similar problem with my car a few years ago.
yea i no i'v got a blown shock on the front near side from a pot hole but need to see if PI can sort me out with just 1 shock or maybe a pair but they are only 5,000 miles old so it's a real kick in the kisser especially when i usually make sure i miss the craters that are in our roads , but i was pretty sure i had this problem start just before i blew my shock out so thats why i'v dismissed it
Old 29-04-2009, 06:58 PM
burnzy
burnzy

ok just looked at the drive shafts and theres probs about 1mm of play on them they still seem pretty tight unless that little bit of play is enough to cause it but it seems like theres something shaking itself to bits when it wobbles
Old 29-04-2009, 08:27 PM
fez2i16v
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could it be a wheel bearing or a gearbox mounting something like that?
Old 29-04-2009, 09:28 PM
Mark V8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 166 Likes on 145 Posts

Has it got power steering ?

If the fluid level is low on hard corners it can suck in air making the steering shake like crazy

Mark
Old 29-04-2009, 09:51 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Originally Posted by V8 EsCos
Has it got power steering ?

If the fluid level is low on hard corners it can suck in air making the steering shake like crazy

Mark
lol it's like a guessing game this lol no i'v got a manual rack mate and it has no play by the feel of it so rules that one out too, it does shake like crazy though it's concerning in mid corner when it feels like the wheels are trying to snap off
Old 29-04-2009, 10:33 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Originally Posted by fez2i16v
could it be a wheel bearing or a gearbox mounting something like that?
Hhmm! wheel bearings are more like a rumble or just a horrible noise but admitted they are due to be changed but they should still be good, well deffo not bad enough to make this much wobble i'd say from the outside you must be able to see the hole car shake it's that bad.

and i think a gearbox mount would only make a fuss if i was putting power on through the bend and it happens no matter what, but put me right if i'm wrong here, at the end of the day i'v come on here for everybody's advice