General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

First Focus RS have arrived....

Search this Thread

Old 13-04-2009, 08:10 PM
The Sludge
garibaldi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to add some more meat on the bones of this very good debate............

http://www.ford.co.uk/hidden/FocusRSSounds

Old 13-04-2009, 08:12 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by danneth
what i dont understand though is what are they dissapointed in? it looks good, sounds good, goes VERY well and is cheaper then its closest rivals... the biggest thing i cant get my head round is people slating it before they have even sat in one nevermind drove it
Because it is front wheel drive.... No matter what else it has, it is STILL being driven by the wrong wheels. I have no doubt it will be a fantastic car, much like a lot of FWD hot hatches, for the middle market it is aimed at. But that is the limiting factor, if you are a serious driver RWD or 4x4 pisses all over FWD any day of the week just in pure fun terms, that is the long and short of it.

For those who understand no explanation is required, for those who don't no explanation will ever be enough.....
Old 13-04-2009, 08:17 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil

For those who understand no explanation is required, for those who don't no explanation will ever be enough.....
Utterly patronising and utterly wrong
Old 13-04-2009, 08:21 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
Because it is front wheel drive.... No matter what else it has, it is STILL being driven by the wrong wheels. I have no doubt it will be a fantastic car, much like a lot of FWD hot hatches, for the middle market it is aimed at. But that is the limiting factor, if you are a serious driver RWD or 4x4 pisses all over FWD any day of the week just in pure fun terms, that is the long and short of it.

so its only a dissapointment to you and a few others then, although its not that much of a dissapointment cause its still a fantastic car as you put it

i would have thought this car was aimed at people who want to go quickly? along with having a fully loaded car i cant really see what difference having RWD or 4WD ( as long as it hadles as well which it does ) will have, you can still do the same things really apart with the exception of donuts if your into that kind of thing
Old 13-04-2009, 08:22 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

us real men steer from the rear

im sure its a good car, infact i might get one for the mrs in a year or so to replace her millenium focus

Last edited by JTECH James; 13-04-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 13-04-2009, 08:24 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Originally Posted by The Sludge
Just to add some more meat on the bones of this very good debate............

http://www.ford.co.uk/hidden/FocusRSSounds

Old 13-04-2009, 08:28 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

sounds like the st imo
Old 13-04-2009, 08:31 PM
RS Juto
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JTECHSAFF
its total wank.

since when has the rs been about pretty coloured shopping cars that your mrs would drive?

its all gone wrong somewhere.

i can say, if ford had made the car we all wanted, i would have been awaiting one...but as it is, im laughing at those people who are waiting

it will be just like the st, worth fook all in 3 years, especially the green one imo
and you already have one and drove one have you? as for the colour well what colour were the old RS's what would you have in its place ?
Old 13-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

FWDs no good for traffic light grand prix tho is it and if you add the normall slightly damp UK roads in to the equation

300bhp front-drive, The 2009 RS can do 163mph. With applied scientific brutality, it can reach 60mph from rest in a claimed 5.9 seconds
Take one heavier, lesser powered ( 265bhp ) transmision sapping 4x4 car, say an Audi S4 and you get 60mph in 5.7

still a nice car but should have been badged ST-300 to keep the RS fans happy
Old 13-04-2009, 08:34 PM
The Sludge
garibaldi

if i read correctly a few weeks ago, the focus is now the quickest car around nurburing-i think that was stated by Top Gear or something. I will try to dig it out...
Old 13-04-2009, 08:36 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

i dont recal an old ford in a metalic pearl green?

maybe im wrong,

im aware of some green ones, but not to similar to this

but to me, just like the st in orange, its a fashionable colour at the time, but in a few years time...i would put money on the green ones being worth less and harder to sell than a std white or blue...

Last edited by JTECH James; 13-04-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 13-04-2009, 08:39 PM
The Sludge
garibaldi

found this on you tube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B9H_...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR1vm...eature=related versus Evo 10

Last edited by The Sludge; 13-04-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 13-04-2009, 08:41 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Originally Posted by The Sludge
if i read correctly a few weeks ago, the focus is now the quickest car around nurburing-i think that was stated by Top Gear or something. I will try to dig it out...

would like to know what time its done, as ford were hoping for 8min 15secs
Old 13-04-2009, 08:42 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Originally Posted by Fil
FWDs no good for traffic light grand prix tho is it and if you add the normall slightly damp UK roads in to the equation

Take one heavier, lesser powered ( 265bhp ) transmision sapping 4x4 car, say an Audi S4 and you get 60mph in 5.7

but who drives like an idiot in them conditions? as for the s4 what would happen after 60mph and round a track?
Old 13-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Fil

but who drives like an idiot in them conditions? as for the s4 what would happen after 60mph and round a track?

Me and every, cosworth, subaru, mitsy evo, ST driver ive ever come across ( oh and the unmarked 5 series once, opps )

S4 on a track, after 60, will probably wallow off into the 1st tire wall but im talking about where the new focus rs will be used 99% of the time in anger, @ the lights

Last edited by Fil; 13-04-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 13-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Matt carter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS6bhb1NxP8
THE GREEN ONE IN MONTY
Old 13-04-2009, 09:37 PM
smitsturbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

a mate that i work with has orderd one for the ''59'' plate in blue
Old 13-04-2009, 09:50 PM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

i think it looks great.how many people say 4x4 saphs are for girls,how many 2wd cossies get broken for thier running gear or wrapped around trees.how many mk3 and mk4 rs turbos were 4wd,none,and they sold in their thousands.i have just bought a focus estate and its pretty boring to drive but if you want to fix your car all the time then buy an old rs.if i had the money i would be having a green 1.far nicer than the orange on the st.for the record i have a 2wd sapph.
Old 14-04-2009, 07:15 AM
CozzyKing

Originally Posted by Fil
Me and every, cosworth, subaru, mitsy evo, ST driver ive ever come across ( oh and the unmarked 5 series once, opps )

S4 on a track, after 60, will probably wallow off into the 1st tire wall but im talking about where the new focus rs will be used 99% of the time in anger, @ the lights
Definitely agree here, I can't see there being too may people prepared to drive the new rs to the limits on the track at all but most will be up for having a go on the road to see if they can beat some of the older performance cars out there.
They are a great novelty car as most of the rs cars since the eighties are so they will change hands very quickly imo.

I wouldn't mind having a drive to see what all the hype is about but as said above it drives from the wrong end for me.
Old 14-04-2009, 08:14 AM
RSRoy
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Guess it's just a good car. I haven't red a bad review yet.

Times have changed over the years
Old 14-04-2009, 08:14 AM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by JTECHSAFF

but to me, just like the st in orange, its a fashionable colour at the time, but in a few years time...i would put money on the green ones being worth less and harder to sell than a std white or blue...

I can almost guarantee you will be so wrong about that, some people say Jewel Violet looks pink,yet what is the most sought after colour in the Escos? Focus ST`s in orange are 2k dearer than say the blue ones.
Make no mistake about it J Tech, the green WILL be the colour to have.
Old 14-04-2009, 01:50 PM
frosty
PassionFord Regular

I personally don't know how any one on here can slag off a car they haven't driven, ( and lets be honest for probably 50% on passionford ) probably WILL never drive until its a 20 year old has being, THEN, it will be the best car on the road to the people who are slagging it off now, or is it the people who can't afford it brand new that are slagging it off, i'll be honest, i'm quite happy with my mk1 Focus RS, LOVE IT, the mk2 has yet to prove itself, i'm thinking of buying one next year, and, like myself, any one with RS blood in their veins is going to LOVE IT, it doesn't matter if it ain't got 4 wheel drive or 350 bhp as std, if you're anything like me and you see an RS on the road on the very rare occassion they still stick out like a sore thumb from the rest of the shit on the roads, i just think its a good thing FORD have built a new RS car and are keeping the RS badge alive, because lets face it, the RS badge is a dying breed, so, lets all stop hoping its going to be a modern cosworth ( CUS IT AIN'T ) and let the next generation focus RS prove itself in its own right and hope it keeps the RS legend alive........
Old 14-04-2009, 02:07 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Fil

My Impreza was running about 280bhp and was brilliant at the lights. That's not why I bought it though.

Personally I always want the best I can get with the money, and if I had the sort of money lying around at the moment to buy a new RS, I'd probably go for an early E60 M5. You can find one for less than 30k now, and it's a car that's superior to the Focus in every single way.

Just a personal opinion though, and obviously the two can't really be compared since they are classes apart.
Old 14-04-2009, 02:23 PM
PF Dave
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

How can people slag off a car they've never driven or been in, or even know anyone that has for that matter... oh wait, it's the internet!

This car will prove a LOT of people wrong in its capabilities... just not any time soon...
Old 14-04-2009, 02:27 PM
liam-rst
shit happens

Originally Posted by GUZZLER
because their not getting one it must be shit!

when the mk1 FRS came out people moaned about it, some still are now, its still a great car, it will never be to 'cosworth' standards but it also won't spend most of its life in the garage broken

its time to cut off your mulletts & move on people
this has gotta be the most sense someone has spoke, because it handles well an is good car does that mean its no good? u people have just gotta realise things have improved with time, reliability an comfort bein but 2 of them, dont judge until u experience, all u lot can comment on at the mo are the looks an personally i think it looks great!
Old 14-04-2009, 02:32 PM
cossieDavedree

I think the new rs is a great car, Considering my first car was rear wheel drive, and my life evolves around rear wheel drive antics, I don't see a problem with the new rs being front wheel drive, why ?? Because Ford for once have made it work.

I'd love to drive one, not sure if i'd own one but i'm glad they didnt make it 4x4 because Ford lack any engine technology to have made the 4x4 worthwhile.
Old 14-04-2009, 02:36 PM
cossieDavedree

I know the rs badge is meant to represent 'thoroughbred and heritage and racing pedigree'.
But times have moved on and we should be grateful that the rs badge has once more found a new family member,
Old 14-04-2009, 03:15 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Originally Posted by cossieDavedree
I think the new rs is a great car, Considering my first car was rear wheel drive, and my life evolves around rear wheel drive antics, I don't see a problem with the new rs being front wheel drive, why ?? Because Ford for once have made it work.

I'd love to drive one, not sure if i'd own one but i'm glad they didnt make it 4x4 because Ford lack any engine technology to have made the 4x4 worthwhile.
but u iz n0t gunna be able to mek it driftz on de roondabertz are ya if its FwD
Old 14-04-2009, 03:20 PM
cossieDavedree

no but at least i wont spin or run number 3 bearing dry,
or break my planet gears in my diff. And when racing a subaru I hopefully wont lose oil pressure,

And going on the nurburgring i wont need to take a trailer of mobil 1 oil with me for topups.
Old 14-04-2009, 03:20 PM
liam-rst
shit happens

fair play it looks gd driftin an all that but aint it a bit pointless? id prefere to be able to go through a bend quickly
Old 14-04-2009, 03:28 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Can anyone find a bad review from anyone who's actually driven one???

It doesn't matter a shit what wheels are propelled, what matters is how well it drives. I get a play in one on Thursday, and I can't wait.
Old 14-04-2009, 03:30 PM
G950KDT
Advanced PassionFord User

dan we await the review to silence the critics
Old 14-04-2009, 03:30 PM
liam-rst
shit happens

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord

It doesn't matter a shit what wheels are propelled, what matters is how well it drives. I get a play in one on Thursday, and I can't wait.
well dan im envious, lookin forward to the write up from u
Old 14-04-2009, 03:34 PM
cossieDavedree

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord

exactly, hope to see the review soon.
Old 14-04-2009, 04:06 PM
kaking1982
Regular Contributor

i dont know how anyone can coment on an RS without driving one .its one of the fastest RS from the factory . the technology involved is world class. All of the things Fordys Want like 4wd or RWD was all done in the the first ones ever tested but all decided not to go with them due to cost for the 4wd system and rwd system. which would be passed on to the customer and make a Ford over Ł35K which no one will buy . plus the extra weight would make the car slower and the emission levels higher were cars are now all about being green
Old 14-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Alan_D
Personally I always want the best I can get with the money, and if I had the sort of money lying around at the moment to buy a new RS, I'd probably go for an early E60 M5. You can find one for less than 30k now, and it's a car that's superior to the Focus in every single way
What a silly way to look at it, they are 2 totally different cars mate, I`ll go one better,you are almost at F355 money there but would you buy one? Hell why not even a 911 Turbo, no? R34 GTR maybe, new M3? all of the above can be bought for the money but there totally different cars, oh and superior in every other way? even looks....you sure? the M5 aint that pretty mate.
Old 14-04-2009, 05:43 PM
dovboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

imo as soon as the power is increased then the power will overcome the grip from the front wheels,and seen as those are the ones steering it then it doesnt make for a drivers car.

sure its gonna be quick and it looks amazing but it will not match an evo or a subaru,the time attack is full of evos,subs etc for good reason.the focus that andy has entered into it this year is now 4x4 to compete with them(extreme example i know but..).

eventualy(and sooner rather than later)a fwd car cannot get the power down onto the tarmac good enough.

there is a place in ford for a performance fwd car,its the st!
the rs should be 4x4 ,end off imo.
Old 14-04-2009, 05:51 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Originally Posted by Mr Brannen
What a silly way to look at it, they are 2 totally different cars mate, I`ll go one better,you are almost at F355 money there but would you buy one? Hell why not even a 911 Turbo, no? R34 GTR maybe, new M3? all of the above can be bought for the money but there totally different cars, oh and superior in every other way? even looks....you sure? the M5 aint that pretty mate.

and newness

and power upgrades sure it will be cheaper to get more from the FRS then the m5

and MPG

but as said before totally different cars
Old 14-04-2009, 05:52 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Originally Posted by dovboy
imo as soon as the power is increased then the power will overcome the grip from the front wheels,and seen as those are the ones steering it then it doesnt make for a drivers car.

sure its gonna be quick and it looks amazing but it will not match an evo or a subaru,the time attack is full of evos,subs etc for good reason.the focus that andy has entered into it this year is now 4x4 to compete with them(extreme example i know but..).

eventualy(and sooner rather than later)a fwd car cannot get the power down onto the tarmac good enough.

there is a place in ford for a performance fwd car,its the st!
the rs should be 4x4 ,end off imo.
the mk1 focus RS didn't seem to bad so have to wait and see
Old 14-04-2009, 07:25 PM
CozzyKing

I love the looks of the mk1 and the mk2 focus rs and I also know of a certain 4x4 volvo which is supposed to share the main underbody components so I reckon it would be possible for the hardcore tuners out there to put some serious power through the chassis and create the car that so many of us crave.

Quick Reply: First Focus RS have arrived....