General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

what about this barn find!!!

Search this Thread

Old 15-04-2009, 07:05 PM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fucking hell chip have you no work at all to do? You seem to have a range of issues - short man, small penis, always right and use 15 words where 1 will do - are you in middle management?
Old 15-04-2009, 07:08 PM
3i_gaz
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Chip
I've not fought MAD's corner at all.
Nor have I slagged off the reyland 3door which is my favourite car ever.
I merely used it as an example of how things evolve to the right spec as the limits of parts are found.

Go and read one of the threads I've posted on here about driving porkies car to see my opinion of the car.
i didnt say you slagged off the 3 door.

like you i used it as an example.
Old 15-04-2009, 09:35 PM
MAD Ade
Advanced PassionFord User

[QUOTE=Chip;4083955]Ade's engine went pop twice when he built it, and has been perfectly reliable since MAD built it.

Erm, I built my current engine also, dyno'd at not far under 700 brake on pump fuel, and gets plenty of abuse I may add.
Old 15-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Miller 3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MAD Ade

Erm, I built my current engine also, dyno'd at not far under 700 brake on pump fuel, and gets plenty of abuse I may add.

You got any pic's! never seen your car

Last edited by Miller 3; 15-04-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 15-04-2009, 09:56 PM
Kevin Sharp
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chip you seriously must have far too much time on your hands after reading all of this

hope that rusty old barn engine was cheap.....you sure it wasnt a field it was found in
Old 15-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Sharp
Chip you seriously must have far too much time on your hands after reading all of this
Monday to thursday while i'm away from home working yes Ive got loads of free time mate yeah, and as you may have noticed I have the patience of a saint too, lol.

Im not under any illusions that its possible to educate the majority of these people of course, but I do occasionally notice the penny drop here and there, so its not totally without merit bothering to stick with it.

Plus I do find the psychology of forums relatively interesting, like the way that Nick D is such a ridiculous anti-mad keyboard warrior on here, but im absolutely positive he would be NOTHING like that in real life if he was stood in front of Mark and a load of his potential customers.

Personally, Im the same pedantic and sarcastic but genuinely helpful person offline that I am on it, so I find it fascinating watching these people with totally different online and offline personalities, Phil was the best example of this, really nice polite friendly fella in real life, lol
Old 15-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by bigchez
short man, small penis, always right and use 15 words where 1 will do
You got 2 out of 4 right there mate, it was only the 2 physical attributes of mine you got wrong.

are you in middle management?
No I'm not in middle management, I have a purely technical role for a car company, and a part time job as a car journo, cant ever imagine wanting to move into management of any sort.
Old 15-04-2009, 10:19 PM
3i_gaz
PassionFord Post Troll

Monday to thursday while i'm away from home working yes Ive got loads of free time mate yeah, and as you may have noticed I have the patience of a saint too, lol.

Im not under any illusions that its possible to educate the majority of these people of course, but I do occasionally notice the penny drop here and there, so its not totally without merit bothering to stick with it.

Plus I do find the psychology of forums relatively interesting, like the way that Nick D is such a ridiculous anti-mad keyboard warrior on here, but im absolutely positive he would be NOTHING like that in real life if he was stood in front of Mark and a load of his potential customers.

Personally, Im the same pedantic and sarcastic but genuinely helpful person offline that I am on it, so I find it fascinating watching these people with totally different online and offline personalities, Phil was the best example of this, really nice polite friendly fella in real life, lol

what makes you so full of yourself and so sure that what you post is 100% correct everytime.
Old 15-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by 3i_gaz
what makes you so full of yourself and so sure that what you post is 100% correct everytime.
I'd say more like 99.9% mate, no one is flawless.

As an example, I thought Mark had an input into building Ade's last engine and apparently he didnt, so there you go, a mistake in this very thread for you.
All be it of something thats not exactly of a technical nature of course.

The reason for my confidence though is a very simple one, I obey the golden rule on forums when chatting about technical stuff, if I dont know I just keep my fucking mouth shut and dont say anything at all, and if I only think im correct then I will state thats its just IMHO rather than a statement of absolute fact.

Its a shame more people dont do the same, this place would be an awesome technical resource if a few more folk did do.
Old 15-04-2009, 10:27 PM
3i_gaz
PassionFord Post Troll

i think people would accept that fact its "in your opinion" if you didnt carry on going on so much lol

am not saying what you post is wrong, or what is actually right.

just saying the majority of post i read of yours have a smug smart arse approach to them. and if people dont agree with you then they can get fucked.

i think forums would be a better place if stubborn people actually too kin other peoples input too,
Old 15-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by 3i_gaz
i think people would accept that fact its "in your opinion" if you didnt carry on going on so much lol

am not saying what you post is wrong, or what is actually right.

just saying the majority of post i read of yours have a smug smart arse approach to them. and if people dont agree with you then they can get fucked.

i think forums would be a better place if stubborn people actually too kin other peoples input too,
When its a matter of opinion, I agree with you entirely, when its a case of something technical or factual, its not a matter of opinion, its a matter of right or wrong.

Personally I dont care who says the right thing or has the last word or any of that forum politics bollocks, all I have an interest in, is that things are accurate.

And yes you are correct, if people dont like being corrected after talking utter nonsense, then yes I do believe they can indeed get fucked, as personally I would prefer it if people put a bit more effort into being accurate in the first place, Im not on the forum to make friends with a load of easily offended overly touchy people who get upset at being corrected, my main interest in being here is to learn about cars and engines, and to help others do the same.

So if my posts come across very matter of fact, thats just a reflection of that intent.
Old 15-04-2009, 11:02 PM
polly_x

[QUOTE=MAD Ade;4085779]
Ade's engine went pop twice when he built it, and has been perfectly reliable since MAD built it.

Whats M.A.D about it if you have built it yourself 3 times? The spec?

Genuine question?
Old 15-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

I'm guessing the mapping?

RW
Old 16-04-2009, 12:02 AM
Chip

Its definately Mark mapped and on autronic
Old 16-04-2009, 02:42 AM
Stuart.W
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Barry_GTi

I understand racing perfectly, I believe that 10 laps of sustained high temps and rapidly changing loadings/situations on an engine would be harder work than 30s flat out and then a rest. IMHO.
I definately agree with Porkie, 30seconds of full load and heat soak will do far more than shorter bursts with braking and cornering in between.

I personally don't get topspeed Bruntingthorpe stuff.
I'd prefer to drive a lap of the 'ring or 10 laps of some other circuits in a hire car than one 200mph+ run with Veyron acceleration, each to their own.....

Andrew,

Hope the new engine and car is 100% reliable for you this season, 700+hp in your Focus must be hard work but awesome, have fun

Bought a few ex-rallycross parts before - exhaust manifold, turbos, rads & intercoolers and for me it wasn't worth it, glad things have moved on since then.

My manifold (supposedly 2 grands worth) came off an early 670hp JG YB, it looked similar to this one but with 2 into 1 external wastegate pipes, mine looked like it had been repaired every time it ran and (after sectioning it) internally it looked shite.

Tried cleaning / flushing the intercoolers and radiators out but kept seeing swarf appearing so decided to cut end tanks off. You wouldn't believe the shit in there including mostly pieces of curled up steel swarf !!! They must have run like this as some swarf was wedged in place half way down the core, 10+% of the internal area blocked! The rads & intercoolers hadn't come from JG.
I was told by John Cross he had the 500+hp restricted YB's rebuilt by JG quite often, wonder why!

The barn engine's manifolds do look a bit ropey but aslong as they're perfect internally then its not worth commenting on. I'd personally be giving it a good inspection. The inlet manifold just looks like a fabricated from scratch item rather than 2x cut and shut RS200 manifolds!

Last edited by Stuart.W; 16-04-2009 at 03:35 AM. Reason: pics added
Old 16-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Chip

Thats definately 2 * rs200 plenums mate.

You can see the curve is exactly the same, and even the fact it dips slightly to a lower point at the place the two are joined together as they are joined after the midway point.
Old 16-04-2009, 10:32 AM
andrewg
PassionFord Post Troll

personally i would say the two flanges of the manifold are rs 200 but the rest is fabricated from scratch.
this is just my opinion!!
the ex manifold looks good as it has plates to support where they usually split and as far as i can see its never been repaired, my old manifold always cracks and needs welding but this one looks much better.
Old 16-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Chip

The curved section is the bit I am saying is rs200 bits, the rest all looks custom fabricated.
Old 16-04-2009, 10:38 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart.W
I definately agree with Porkie, 30seconds of full load and heat soak will do far more than shorter bursts with braking and cornering in between.

I personally don't get topspeed Bruntingthorpe stuff.
I'd prefer to drive a lap of the 'ring
it would be interesting to know actually if the climb up the hill at the 'ring is as demanding as a top speed run at brunters?

i've only ever driven it in relatively low powered cars where it is full throttle for a long time, but may not be in something more powerful. perhaps some input from mike rainbird would be useful? haven't seen him on here for a while
Old 16-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Chip

mad mspaint skillz yo!

rs200 plenum 1 section in red
rs200 plenum 2 section in yellow

Old 16-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
it would be interesting to know actually if the climb up the hill at the 'ring is as demanding as a top speed run at brunters?

i've only ever driven it in relatively low powered cars where it is full throttle for a long time, but may not be in something more powerful. perhaps some input from mike rainbird would be useful? haven't seen him on here for a while
I guess it would depend if the mild bends in it are mild enough you can do them at 200mph or not, if not you would have to be backing off of course.
Old 16-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Jade Goody
BANNED
BANNED

I personally think there are NO reliable engines on this site

All have melted, cracked and leaked!
Old 16-04-2009, 11:14 AM
MAD Ade

[QUOTE=polly_x;4086033]
Originally Posted by MAD Ade

Whats M.A.D about it if you have built it yourself 3 times? The spec?

Genuine question?

Hi.

The only thing Mark has not done on my car is the physical building of the engine and fitting it. Every thing else, electrical, specing, all machine work, setting up, even exhaust manifold design was done by Mark. This is purely down to the fact that I can do the engine building and fitting my self, thus saving considerable amounts of dosh, plus I know that Marks work load does not permit him to be too speedy in turning engine builds around.

The cause of the two previous failures Mark has put down to finding the limits of the previous exhaust manifold.
Old 16-04-2009, 11:39 AM
CraigoScott
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jade Goody
I personally think there are NO reliable engines on this site

All have melted, cracked and leaked!
thats because they are ford Jade!
Old 16-04-2009, 11:48 AM
andrewg
PassionFord Post Troll

The curved section is the bit I am saying is rs200 bits, the rest all looks custom fabricated.
still nothing like your cast one,, i think they have used a section out 5inch ally 90 bend
Old 16-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Kevin Sharp
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Chip, how did you go about getting MADAndy,s job of mad PR spokesman?
Old 16-04-2009, 12:37 PM
DazS1Turbo

I used to be gobby out on the town full of pop and got beaten up a few times badly for it, i learned my lesson and i now treat people with respect - Problem with the internet is you cant learn your lesson the same way which in my opinion is what the problem with chip is.

He's very clever and knows his stuff and very useful to learn from but it's such a shame that he choose's to post in such a provocative and putting down/my way or the highway manner

If i was Nick and spoken to like that in the real world then it would be fistycuffs but as it's behind a keyboard Nick cant do anything and for that reason chip will always be the way he is.

Such a shame.

All the best with TA Andrew, im hoping to be at Oulton park for the opener to see her go.
Old 16-04-2009, 12:48 PM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

what a thread! also hoping to be at oulton as its only 10 mins from me, best of luck Andrew
Old 16-04-2009, 12:48 PM
alistairolsen

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DazS1Turbo
I used to be gobby out on the town full of pop and got beaten up a few times badly for it, i learned my lesson and i now treat people with respect - Problem with the internet is you cant learn your lesson the same way which in my opinion is what the problem with chip is.

He's very clever and knows his stuff and very useful to learn from but it's such a shame that he choose's to post in such a provocative and putting down/my way or the highway manner

If i was Nick and spoken to like that in the real world then it would be fistycuffs but as it's behind a keyboard Nick cant do anything and for that reason chip will always be the way he is.

Such a shame.

All the best with TA Andrew, im hoping to be at Oulton park for the opener to see her go.
lmao, If youve ever met chip then right or wrong, he is exactly the same sarcastic bastard face to face

Id also suggest any fistycuffs would end better for chip than the other fella :P

Fair enough chip neednt have broken all the egshells in this thread, but it was Nick who set out looking for a fight IMO.
Old 16-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by foreigneRS

Mike doesn't post here anymore.

Anyway re: your question about the climb at the ring. In my M3 on most clear ish laps I was reaching and sustaining 7900 rpm in 4th for a lengthy period after the left kink half way up (under WOT all the way from Bergwerk, working through the gears), not QUITE able to touch the limiter, so didn't change into 5th. It is without doubt a long climb on WOT for most cars and I do remember that Rainbird keeps his escort on WOT throughout the upper section of that climb, so it is without doubt hard on the car. However it probably isn't at the peak RPM experienced when you optimise your gearing as you would on a top speed run. It is probably in 5th in the escort therefore nowhere near peak rpm. I am stating this based on Mikes car being around 10mph faster up there than my m3, therefore seeing around 150mph (I guess he would need 5th for that sort of speed?).

Someone needs to go and time that section using some in car footage to see how long it would be at WOT for. I just timed it in my head and I can see around 30 seconds from pulling out of the tight right hander at the bottom (bergwerk) all the way up to angst kurve. With around 500 flywheel bhp (or whatever Mike had in the engine last time it was there) he would be flat for 99% of that. I only suggest a potential light lift for the left hand kink half way up as the track opens out.

However, that is not 800bhp or whatever rods car has and I am more than confident that you would NOT be able to do half that hill at WOT with a road going rwd saph with 800 bhp lol... (did anyone say MASSIVE power drift?!) and you would also not probably be at WOT and max rpm (as that would suggest the car was no longer accelerating). HOWEVER (again) you would be starting a top speed run with a cool ish car, whereas at the ring you have already been pounding round for the first few miles to get there, so temps would be starting relatively higher.

As for Chip posting in an arrogant way and people suggesting that, his attitude would get u knocked out in the real world etc. Interestingly enough, I thought that it wasn't chip who was acting like a total wanker on this thread, which amuses me, as people must read things quite differently to others. I didn't necessarily agree with all his points, however, he was at least trying to articulate them in a clear fashion with rationale and logic based on his experience, rather than some of the petty bating that was going on, sometimes only using one sentence, which I can only assume was some people trying to look like a nob and succeeding very well. Passionford is much like a playground. There is a broad range in the levels of intelligence and experience amongst those people here and that will always result in some fights.

Cheers

RW

Last edited by Steven_RW; 16-04-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 16-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Jade Goody
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by alistairolsen
Id also suggest any fistycuffs would end better for chip than the other fella :P

Why???

Because Chip is a fat bald cunt who dresses like a pykey? that makes him a force to be reckoned with?

Im a skinny bald bitch and would still knock his lard eating arse out!
Old 16-04-2009, 01:20 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Why does mike not post here anymore ?
Old 16-04-2009, 01:24 PM
alistairolsen

Originally Posted by Steven_RW
Mike doesn't post here anymore.

Anyway re: your question about the climb at the ring. In my M3 on most clear ish laps I was reaching and sustain 7900 rpm in 4th (under WOT all the way from Bergwerk, working through the gears), not QUITE able to touch the limiter, so didn't change up, it is without doubt a long climb on WOT for most cars and I do remember that rainbird keeps his escort on WOT throughout the upper section of that climb, so it is without doubt hard on the car. Someone needs to go and time that section using some in car footage to see how long it would be on WOT for. I just timed it in my head and I can see around 30 seconds from pulling out of the tight right hander at the bottom (bergwerk) all the way up to angst kurve. With around 500 flywheel bhp (or whatever Mike had in the engine last time it was there) he would be flat for 95% of that. I only suggest a potential light lift for the left hand kink half way up as the track opens out.

However, that is not 800bhp or whatever rods car has and I am more than confident that you would NOT be able to do half that hill at WOT with a road going rwd saph with 800 bhp lol... (did anyone say MASSIVE power drift?!)

Cheers

RW
And if you had 800bhp it wouldnt take 30 seconds anymore!

There are VERY few places you could hold rods car flat for 30 secs, and therefore very few that will cause the issues brunters does!
Old 16-04-2009, 01:32 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

good post RW
Old 16-04-2009, 01:49 PM
RSricRS
Long live the ford RS'S

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why dont you all stop being like fucking kids, and let the engine's do the talking! SIMPLE.

P.s it does make a good read though!
Old 16-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

And if you had 800bhp it wouldnt take 30 seconds anymore!

There are VERY few places you could hold rods car flat for 30 secs, and therefore very few that will cause the issues brunters does!
Agreed. 30 seconds on WOT would require you to hit whatever speed that car hits on the flat in 30 secs - 200+ i guess? Or a force that equals out the power, IE a big enough steep enough hill which means that WOT for 30 seconds wouldn't get to the normal speed. All theoretical anyway as it would be a serious hill lol.

Re: "With 800 bhp, the time taken to do the hill would be less", I guess not more than say 20% less, so around 24 seconds (using the base 30 second guess) as it isn't all about BHP otherwise a 800 bhp car would take nearly a 3rd of the time it takes me with c.300 bhp, which would be about a 3 minute lap lol

BTW - just for further clarity - I am a firm believer that top speed runs generate more heat than a track day. Especially motorway based ones where you might be allowed to accel for more than 1.6 miles!!

Interesting debate and I was just trying to assist with the question about how much of a stress the hill would be.

Cheers

RW
Old 16-04-2009, 02:39 PM
alistairolsen

Indeed,it wouldnt reduce the time in the twisty bits, but on a straight section is would be considerably faster as otherwise an M3 would be as quick up brunters as rod

As you say, whatever speed you reach, youre making as much as you can for 30 secs!!

I wasnt trying to be cheeky or anything, just pointing out that even then longest straight on any track is going to be less than brunters!
Old 16-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Indeed,it wouldnt reduce the time in the twisty bits, but on a straight section is would be considerably faster as otherwise an M3 would be as quick up brunters as rod

As you say, whatever speed you reach, youre making as much as you can for 30 secs!!

I wasnt trying to be cheeky or anything, just pointing out that even then longest straight on any track is going to be less than brunters!
Just for note, the uphill section at the ring is not a straight, even in an m3. If you were to add 450+ bhp it REALLY isn't a straight.

One last point for you (lol) - is that on the lead up to SX at the ring, I can reach 160mph (speedo), I don't believe I could hit 160 (speedo) on brunters.

That is probably enough said on this subject as it is just FYI and I am agreeing re brunters being the killer (tho the motorway can be much worse).

RW

Last edited by Steven_RW; 16-04-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 16-04-2009, 07:20 PM
stuarth
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by carlo
Why does mike not post here anymore ?
whats happnin with charleys carlo, is his up and running?
Old 16-04-2009, 07:29 PM
andrewg
PassionFord Post Troll

waitin on dry sump tanks for mine and charlies

Quick Reply: what about this barn find!!!