General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

College and Uni Course Help

Search this Thread

Old 30-03-2009 | 10:36 PM
Umi

Default College and Uni Course Help

I am starting college next year and i hopefully want to become a lawyer. I have chosen to do A levels in college i chose the following Accounting, Law, English Language and Sociolgy. I have spoken to some people and they say it is better to do law in uni and not college but i thought if i do it in college i can get a bit of background information on what i am going to be doing for the rest of my life what do you suggest do it in college and uni or just uni.

Thanks
Old 31-03-2009 | 11:25 AM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

No idea mate but if you are talking to people who know what they are talking about then I'd suggest listen to them. A lot of people I know that study law at uni did history at A Level.
Old 02-04-2009 | 10:49 AM
Umi

I have been told do history but its not my subject i know i will have difficulties, anyone else got any ideas to help me please.
Old 02-04-2009 | 11:03 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

katie W would be a good person to speak to, but im not sure if she looks at this site anymore!
Old 02-04-2009 | 11:06 AM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Have you tried speaking to the college carrer advisers ? they could probs give you a better idea of what subjects to study.
Old 02-04-2009 | 11:06 AM
Umi

Originally Posted by GARETH T
katie W would be a good person to speak to, but im not sure if she looks at this site anymore!
done a check on her username but it dont seem to be coming up, was katie w her username or was it soemthing else

Thanks
Old 02-04-2009 | 11:08 AM
Umi

Originally Posted by Cossie Helen
Have you tried speaking to the college carrer advisers ? they could probs give you a better idea of what subjects to study.
spoke to the career adviser and he was trying to hint that maybe law aint the best thing to do in life, but since i was a kid i always wanted to do law and i want to go ahead with it and all the college said was yes that is a good choice of subjects. Thats why i am asking for a little more help from you guys on here please.
Old 02-04-2009 | 11:10 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Umi
done a check on her username but it dont seem to be coming up, was katie w her username or was it soemthing else

Thanks
https://passionford.com/forum/members/2544-katie.html
Old 02-04-2009 | 11:12 AM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Umi
spoke to the career adviser and he was trying to hint that maybe law aint the best thing to do in life, but since i was a kid i always wanted to do law and i want to go ahead with it and all the college said was yes that is a good choice of subjects. Thats why i am asking for a little more help from you guys on here please.
In what way was he trying to hint that the Law course was not the best for you to do ?
Old 02-04-2009 | 11:15 AM
Umi

He was saying that its very hard work and you might just ending being a solicitor doing hard work and not as much pay as a barrister, also saying that its a long course and maybe i cant go all the way but i think i will be able to do it.
Old 02-04-2009 | 11:16 AM
Umi

Gareth I dont think she comes on here as her last post was in may 2008 but i will drop her a pm thanks for your help.
Old 02-04-2009 | 11:21 AM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Umi
He was saying that its very hard work and you might just ending being a solicitor doing hard work and not as much pay as a barrister, also saying that its a long course and maybe i cant go all the way but i think i will be able to do it.
I was wondering if he had said that due to grades to access the course.

You dont know until you try, Law is a hard course but i defo would not let his comments stop you.

But I would take the advice of the courses needed to get onto the Law course.

Give History a go, you never know you might suprise yourself !
Old 02-04-2009 | 11:24 AM
Umi

i have the right grades to access the course that aint a big problem, i will have to speak to the college when i enrol and see if i change one of my a levels to history and speak to a history teacher.
Old 02-04-2009 | 11:31 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I think your doing exactly the right thing with the courses you've selected and it's great you know what you want to do.

You have a mix of subjects there i.e. accouting vs. law so it's not as if you are focusing too much too early. I wanted to go into engineering so did A'level maths, physics, technology. Not once did I think, hang on, lets do another pointless subject instead of the one I really want to do - I mean history FFS Also a basic solicitor will probably pay more than a teacher (if you got stuck teaching history)

The a'level in law will give you a really good grounding for Uni, as well as confirm you really want to do it. Better to find out now than start a uni course and hate it.

I'd stick with what you've already chosen.
Old 02-04-2009 | 11:22 PM
Umi

well i guess i am just going to stick with what i have chosen like you said Paul and if i feel like it aint working out try and speak to the college and arrange something that will suit my requiments