General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

need some legal advice- ref sale of goos act

Search this Thread

Old 20-03-2009, 11:23 PM
sbd16v
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need some legal advice- ref sale of goos act

right to put everyone in the picture i have a hp laptop had it for just over a year now and ever since day on i felt it run alot hotter that all my other laptops have so hot that it would burn your legs and the keyboard was sometimes to hot to touch.

it developed a fault where it would shut down when it got to hot this was very annoying so i sent it back to pc world, they ''repaired'' it and sent it back it was better (still very hot thou) for a few weeks then it started to get hotter again and recently its been starting to turn itself off again

and last night was the final straw it turns on fine and you can hear from the sound its booting up BUT there is nothing on the screen

after doing a little research it seams that its a well know fault to do with Nvidia graphics cards, and that they burn out the gpu, everyone knows about it nvidia have admited its a problem

see link
http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/02/n...-are-defectiv/

now from doing some more reading hp's answer to this was to turn the fan on near 100% of the time, but like many 100's of other ppl mine is not dead.

i have found a post on another forum about a guy that pursewed for his money back from pc world after 2 years because they were not upholding the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

and they actually gave him his money back.

now i want to know if im thinking this right

this is a key fact from the sale of goods act

Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).
so am i right in thinking that they have not adheared to the sale of goods act as my gpu was faulty at the time of sale, and i have proof of this from nvivida themselfs saying there is a problem.

now if im right how on earth do i go about starting the ball rolling

any help much apreciated

rob
Old 20-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Maybe contact the CAB??? They may be able to give you some advice?!
Old 20-03-2009, 11:34 PM
sbd16v
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Maria.
Maybe contact the CAB??? They may be able to give you some advice?!

yeh will do there is always someone on here that knows what there talking about amoungst the experts so thought id ask here lol
Old 20-03-2009, 11:50 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Your deduction seems fairly accurate but you need the professional advice to find out the limits of the Act.

Ive had similar problems with my HP laptop of overheating and its already killed the wireless card so its being fixed under warranty so its being dealt with differently.

Mine is so hot that i put it on my legs without an insulator and caused this burn through my jeans

Still healing now. I didnt feel the burning for a while
Old 21-03-2009, 12:04 AM
fatbloke racing
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just starting to get the same faults with my Toshiba, one year old and has shut down a couple of times, pretty fucking hot mow to be honest!
Old 21-03-2009, 03:08 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The act also states goods must be of mechantable quality, yours clearly was not.
A recen't ish(in legal terms) ruling ruled that the life expectancy must form part of the merchantable quality act, thus if you buy a s/h pc cheaply you cannot expect the same warranty as a new one bought at full price.
A figure of six years was agreed upon for "white goods", washing machines/dishwahers etc.
I would in the first instance write a letter giving them 14 days to respond, to your claim for FULL refund, they will if they answer no doubt suggest a "pro rata" amount, but negotiate.
Shops are having a real bad time at the moment, so you may be lucky, court action through county court could always be taken, but JP will do "pro rata" no doubt, if he finds in your favour, which if done right he will.
The cost of any court action can be claimed in the same original claim from the other side, HINT find the person who OWNS the whole chain of shops the VERY top man/owner.
Now address the CC claim to him, he will by law have to attend court and cannot avoid it, a arrest warrant can be issued if he does not attend.
When you are talking afew hundred pounds or whatever head honcho man is not going to go to court to challenge it, no way, they will pay up.
Another ploy is park your car as close to the shop as you can and with placards stating your case, just keep it factually correct, and there is nothing they can do about it, but these days nwo they won't want bad publicity.
tabetha
Old 21-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

I'd contact PC World and tell them you want to reject it and tell them why. See what they say and go from there. You really need to find out exactly what your rights are and the CAB is the best place to start.

Trending Topics

Old 21-03-2009, 04:20 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pcworld are absolute wankers for after sales, hence why i never recommend people buying a pc/ expensive item from them.
Old 21-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

have you tried contacting HP? they sometimes repair laptops past their warranty period if it is a known fault.

we had a similar problem with TC1100s, every single one would at some point become faulty when the GPU burnt out and we used to get them replaced reguarly.
Old 22-03-2009, 12:44 PM
reisskahn
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

sbd16v: Dont even mention HP again

I bought HP Tablet (TX1000 ) back in Feb'07 from COMET for a top whack price of Ł900 and in mid 2008 i started getting problems with the internal wireless carD disappering (now my 1 year warranty has run out)

Didnt think much off the problem browsed the net and noticed a lot of HP customers were having the same problem. Few months down the line the whole laptop has died doesnt power up & when it does theres no display.

Again browsed the net and found out HP customers all over the world were having the same problem. This was back in October 08 (only 18 months old) and major failure....

Few months ago while i got round to it i rang HP & there saying its out of warranty so would cost around Ł270 to repair it with only about 3 months warranty on the work. I told them its a major problem so why should i need to pay but they aint having none of it.

SO I do agree something needs to be done about this and i dont want to Piss on your Chips but if your laptop running a Nvida Chip trust me its going to die very soon.

Me cousin has one aswell and sent it back so many sometimes under warranty for similar problems. Ive told him to make sure he extends the cover after 1 year (which i didnt bother with and why should i need to)

The only reason why am damn pissed off is the fact i purchased it Brand New paying the whack. If i bought it second hand fair enough but Ł900, it should fricken last me years..

IF YOU DECIDE TO TAKE LEGAL ACTION PLEASE "PM ME" AND ILL BE WILLING TO DO SOMETHING ASWELL

RANT OUT

Last edited by reisskahn; 22-03-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 22-03-2009, 12:48 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

putting lap tops on yours laps is dangerous!