General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Do i want an iphone? Few Q's.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 05:31 PM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I love my gadgets and the iphone is the best phone out there (for me)

It does MMS

The fact that you can add applications to the phone so easily is great IMO.

Only things it doesn't do (you might miss) are video and text forwarding. But just deal with it, it's no reason to have any other crap phone.. you will find a lot of iphone haters

I love a gadgety phones and I've tried lots, the N95 is a joke, N96 is worse, blackberry is crap (last one I've had was the storm lol)

I've just bought one for my mrs and she loves it and experienced her first hater the other day.. bloke literally went off on one as she got the phone out.. "what the hell you got that for, they're crap, blah blah, blah (green eyed monster)"

My iphone never crashes out, the call quality is excellent, got around 50 albums on there I can hook up in my car or at work, internet browsing is great, emails work nicely, games and other apps keep you amused.

My boss wanted one after seeing mine and my work mates but the o2 salesman convinced him to get a gooseberry and he's really not enjoying the stupid fussy interface.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Stoo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fucking hate my iPhone. Quite gadgety (and I do love my high-end gadgets!) and all that but I just can't be pissed with it anymore.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:44 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Maria.
Chip - Sorry honey i misunderstood, i didnt realise you mean a 'proper' keypad sorry! i just thought you meant a qwerty one on the screen! My bad!

Mondeo man... WTF are you on?

I was torn between a Blackberry Storm, or an iphone, but having played with my mates iphone, and having had a storm for a few weeks, decided they were both shit, and have stuck with a N95 silver .... Like Chip, the inherent problem of the touch screens make either of them a pain in the ass to use as a phone or to text quickly IMHO... Although I did love the i-phones browser interface, I just don't think I could put up with the hassle of everything else, and my Blackberry got sent back as it was just fiddly and over complicated
Old 10-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Lambchop
I've had a search on here already but i'm a bit confused on the whole iphone thing.

Are they really that good?
Is there anything coming out that might be better? I've seen some fancy toshiba one.
Why the fuck cant you send pic messages?!
You can - you just need to jailbreak it first

I see there are various hacks/progs etc but i'm not sure i want to arse about too much on an expensive phone...or is it easy enough?
It is easy enough to do, yes.

What is jail breaking?!
Jailbreaking is the process of unlocking the phones SOFTWARE (os) in order to unleash it's full potential. It does NOT unlock it for use on another network (this can be done tho)

I'm with o2 so swapping the phone is easy. But is it worth buying from the states etc?
No

...Or are unlocked/hacked ones easily caught out and bricked? Can you update software on an unlocked one?
American iPhones are not unlocked. They are locked to AT&T just like UK ones are locked to O2. Only iPhones from Italy, Greece, New Zealand and Hong Kong are unlocked to use on a choice of carriers.

As for software update on an "unlocked" phone - if it is a GENUINE unlocked phone (ie, from Italy) the software update is exactly the same as a locked UK phone. If it's jailbroken (like mine) and unlocked (like mine) then it is a little more involved (you need to update, then re-jailbreak and unlock and restore settings, etc

Tetxing is only qwerty keys yes?
Yes

Is there predictive txt?
Yes

If so does it show a list of options as you type or must you press a button to rotate through options?
iPhones built in dictionary is good and bad at the same time. It predicts, in some cases, what you are about to type and suggests the word and all you need do is press "space" and it fills it in. If you miss spell, it offers you a correction (such as if you typed "gome" it would suggest "home" or if you typed "conmevtipn" it would suggest "connection") It also allows you to type "im" and it changes it to "I'm" or "id" and it changes it to "I'd", or "youre" and it changes it to "you're" etc. It doesn't give a drop list tho.

ps work pay so thats not so bad.

What i need a phone for - Useage would be lots of calls, 500 txt a month so must be easy to use. Would like to surf t'internet so i assume this 3g business does all that.
You don't want an iPhone then. Unless you want to use it for comprehensive email and internet capabilities, then don't bother. It's a shit "Phone" and whilst I like the text view, a lot don't like it's lack of inbox, sent, etc. If you're used to using numberpad phones to text from it takes a while to get used to using the iphones touchscreen QWERTY keyboard, and is nearly impossible to text whilst doing something else.

Other downsides - battery life is shit - usually two days, but can be as low as a DAY if you use it a lot. Wifi + 3G cain the battery, as does using it as an ipod or watching video's on it.

But as an internet + email device it's superb (IMO) I love it's touchscreen - by far the best I've tried - it's display is awesome (resolution and quality), web pages are rendered beautifully, email is excellent (support as standard for MS Exchange, Apple MobileMe, Gmail, Yahoo, and can also work with other email accounts (Hotmail included ) and ISP email)
Old 10-03-2009, 05:55 PM
~nomad~
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chip
Yep, as a lifestyle accessory / toy / trendy thing / whatever

It fucking ROCKS
until it crashes and burns. fucking cack.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

get a phone you like and a small netbook which surfs the net better than any mobile phone ever will with a reasonable size keyboard to use
Old 10-03-2009, 06:05 PM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
You can - you just need to jailbreak it first
no need, mms app is on mine
Old 10-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by timrud
Looking at that comparison its saying 4gb or 8gb for the iPhone. So they are comparing the OLD one.
Yeah, just like this pic;

Originally Posted by Fil
Except whoever made it, in an attempt to slate the iPhone 3G REALLY doesn't know what they are talking about. Simple point is it says the iPhone 3G doesn't have GPS... Err Yes it does

And it does have bluetooth, and it can do MMS, and it can do copy and paste - I mean mine does, so why can't anyone else's?

Originally Posted by alan12112
It's the most annoying thing in the world - "guess what i've downloaded this super cool app that actually lets you send - wait for it - a picture - thats right a picture via messages!! OMG Iphones are the best cos apps solve all the worlds problems" where as i'm more of a - "what? you need an app to do this? Pfffft, I phones lick balls"
WTF do you think you are using when you send a pic message on a Nokia? That's right - an APPLICATION : also commonly known as an app Just like to send a normal text on an iPhone you use the SMS app; to send an email you use the email app; to view a calendar or add an event to your calendar you use... yep you guessed it - the calendar app!!!

Originally Posted by Mondeo Man
No, I'm not going to get an iPhone, quit emailing me about it. I'm not getting one because I already have a phone that's better: it's called the Nokia E70, it's the pinnacle of human achievement, and I love it more than my family
Who wrote that?

I had an E70 - and it was complete shite

I also had an E51 - I sent it back the next day cos it was also SHITE

I also had an N70 - not bad!
Then an N73 - well actually I had two cos the first one broke after 14months.... Shit build quality on todays Nokia's - shocking!

But the E70 - I'd rather have an E70 shoved up my ass than use one on a daily basis

I won't preach or say iPhone is the best phone/multimedia handheld on the market as it entirely depends on what you want from a phone/multimedia handheld, and there are other/better phones/multimedia handhelds out there depending on what you want!

But I really like mine. There are things I wish it would do that it doesn't. There are things I wish it would do better than it does. But on the whole, I wouldn't change it for a "normal" phone now.....
Old 10-03-2009, 06:18 PM
iPhone;-)
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

same ere LOL !!!
Old 10-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Old 10-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by jameswrx
no need, mms app is on mine
I assume you are talking about the MMS app from the App Store?

No good to me - my iPhone is on T-Mobile and that app is set up for O2 Plus my mms's are free - fuck paying someone else 30p a time to send pics (which I barely use anyway - maybe two or three times a month?)

Last edited by Thrush; 10-03-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Glen1909
PassionFord Regular

I wanted something that could do all that an I phone could do that wasn't made by Apple. And I got it, Samsung Omnia I900. I will admit that texting is easier on the iphone but other than that my phone does everything that the iphone does and more as standard i.e. 5mp camera, videocalling, picture messaging etc, and then if you want apps you can download them for free.

It runs windows and a samsung operating system and you can choose whether you want it to be more windows and less samsung or vice versa (samsung features are more like the Iphone set up and windows are more like a PDA).

Different people get on better with different things though, my brother has the iphone so I have seen and used that to compare and whilst I don't like it he loves it so it just depends on what you like.

I think the thing that puts me off iphones is more to do with the sort of company apple are in that you have to pay for everything that most phones come with. Like unless you spend ages finding a way round it you have to pay to have the ability to set your own ring tone, something that phones have been able to do for years as standard.

I agree with everyone about the showing pointless apps to everyone too! I got shown an application that lets you view a camera on a busy street in london. What the hell is the point in that???

cheers
Old 10-03-2009, 07:21 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Jeez, so much hatred towards a phone!

I'm too much of a penny pincher to buy one, so I got an iPod Touch, and a normal phone (Nokia 6500). That way I get a phone that does phone stuff, and an iPod that does fun iPod stuff! Best of both worlds!
Old 10-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
Jeez, so much hatred towards a phone!

I'm too much of a penny pincher to buy one, so I got an iPod Touch, and a normal phone (Nokia 6500). That way I get a phone that does phone stuff, and an iPod that does fun iPod stuff! Best of both worlds!
All well and good until you want to use the email and safari functions of the iTouch on the move - no good unless you have a wifi connection!

Funnily enough, after having my iPhone since Sept last year, I used it as an iPod for the first time last week No point me using it as an ipod as I already have a 60gb iPod Video that I need to upgrade as I'm running out of storage capacity

Tis a nice iPod tho! I do like the interface and controls
Old 10-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoo
I fucking hate my iPhone. Quite gadgety (and I do love my high-end gadgets!) and all that but I just can't be pissed with it anymore.

Wanna sell?? WHich model and size?

THrush

thanks for all that. im watching the footie so wont say much just now. I'm a bit worried at the inbox/sent things. I like a large storage there.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

As a long term iPhone user, and thinking of going back to WM devices I feel I have valid input in this thread..

The iPhone is GREAT, I have mine unlocked and jailbroken, but I dont hardly put any of the 'funky' apps on. Maybe once to try them.

Its the 'capacitive' type touchscreen the iPhone has which makes it sooo much better than WM devices. I believe the new WM7 devices due out will have capacitive, multi touch screens. I just remember the crashes and stuff with WM devices that you just dont get on iPhone. Although jailbreaking can cause the browser to just quit when loading large pages.

I use bluetooth on my iPhone, but only for the parrot car kit. Its fine for that.

I await TomTom to be released for the 3g version as I think this will be a great selling spiel.

MMS? Dont really use tbh, although there are free apps out there that do just that, as well as video recording and everything else.

A good friend of mine changed devices every month. Since having the iPhone 3G, he hasnt changed, and has had it for months now.

I use mine for phone calls and the occasional browsing, for that its perfec .. iRealSMS is a must, then you get an email type client for SMS.

I will see what is released in the future from HTC, but for now, the iPhone is still the winner (2g)

If you get the phone on an 18m contract, you could always unlock it and sell for muchos cash to get another handset!

Hope this helps
Old 10-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

stu
wanna sell yours?
email type client...wtf?
wm devices...
htc...
Old 10-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

you know email on the iphone, its like that, but for text messages

wm devices = windows mobile devices, you know the ones, with the stick that u hit the screen with

htc = they are the manufacturer that make the WM (see above ) devices

HTH
Old 10-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

clear as mud mate
Old 10-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Stoo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Wanna sell?? WHich model and size?
An 8GB 3G in black, would love to sell but the limited edition cracked screen and fucked LCD might put you off..!
Old 10-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Originally Posted by Stoo
An 8GB 3G in black, would love to sell but the limited edition cracked screen and fucked LCD might put you off..!

bummer. no insurance? can anyone replace these?
Old 10-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Stoo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yes, but apparently I didn't change my details from the original iPhone to the 3G so when I phoned up my insurance they wouldn't let me claim. Twat even said I wouldn't be able to claim for a crack on the top left of the screen ever again because I already told him what was wrong with it, only to go on and suggest I drop it in a glass of water in a month or so. So, basically I can't get it repaired unless I do insurance fraud as suggested by the guy working there..?!?! But I can't do a genuine claim?

Anyway, yes the Apple store can repair it but it's £140, might be more actually, I forget now. Knowing my luck I'd pay for the repair then drop it when I walked outside.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Lighty
Regular Contributor

Well I have to say I love my iPhone best phone I ever had..
Old 11-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Just on the train to work whilst sending this... Iphone's are quality! Can't fault mine at all! Cheers tregmatt
Old 11-03-2009, 08:51 AM
Jonzy
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by Stu.H

I await TomTom to be released for the 3g version as I think this will be a great selling spiel.
TomTom aren't planning a iPhone release now, they've practically dropped all 3rd party handheld development. Focus is now on thier standalone products and the new work product line. Have a look at xgps.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:41 AM
RobCarden
358bhp

Is there anything coming out that might be better?
i quite fancy this iphone alternative.. not due til autum though....

sony ericsson idou

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/02/17/se_idou/
Old 11-03-2009, 10:23 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Originally Posted by RobCarden
i quite fancy this iphone alternative.. not due til autum though....

sony ericsson idou

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/02/17/se_idou/

I'm liking that! I'd rather stay with sony tbh!