General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Someone PLEASE help :(:(:(

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 05:26 PM
smudge_lad
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Someone PLEASE help :(:(:(

Got my car back from the garage again. This is now 3 months that it's been off the road.

No sooner was it in the drive, it cut out AGAIN! SAME problem for the past 3 months. We keep thinking we've resolved it, and it keeps bloody happening!

When it cuts out, the fuel pump remains on. Then the car won't start. Sometimes if left for a while, and i try and start it again, the fuel pump will prime as normal, and the car will start. It could run for a minute, or an hour. Then it will cut out again, with the fuel pump still running.

Car was sparking and fuel was getting as far as the injectors.

Auto Electrician said it was the cracnk shaft sensor. Since then, we've replaced:

2 crank shaft sensors, 2 fuel pump relays, the fuel pump and sender, fuel pressure regulator and still the same.

Had the auto-eclectrician out again today, was at it for 45 minutes. Apparently his computer or whatever he uses couldnt be hooked up to the car as it's too old. The mechanic was hovering about and said that the injectors weren't firing. The AE was in and out of the car and eventually got the car fired up.

They turned the car off and on about a half-dozen times no bother at all. When I picked the car up, it was fine, then as I say, got it in the drive and it cut out. It still won't start now, over an hour later.

Fuel pump still coming on, and staying on.

Surely this isn't the first time this has happened? There must be someone out there who has some idea as to what it could be??? I'm really getting to the end of my tether with it

It's a 1.6 CVH EFi turbo for those who don't know

Cheers

Keir
Old 03-03-2009, 05:49 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Theres loads it could be, but unless oemone is there at the time who knows what they are doing it's no use.
Surely if someone has had, and presumably charged for three months work then they should put right what it was put in there for, or at the very least a refund.
tabetha
Old 03-03-2009, 07:31 PM
smudge_lad

It hasn't been in the garage for 3 months, just not been running for 3 months.

I've not been charged that much from the garage.

My mate who's usually a good Fordy mechanic is stumped, and that's now a second mechanic who's stumped.

Think I'm gonna swap the ECU and see if that makes any difference, but I would have imagined that the AE would have been able to tell if that was goosed, but apparently he couldnt because my car is too old for his equipment
Old 03-03-2009, 08:35 PM
pez
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what about leaking injectors?? a mate of mine had a problem like this a few years ago,the car would run fine,he'd leave it overnight,then had all the same problems you describe,the injectors where slowly dripping fuel when the car was left for a period of time.
not saying this is definatley your cars fault,just an idea.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:40 PM
The DIVA
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I had exactly the same fault on a customers car, turned out to be a dry joint in the ECU..
Old 03-03-2009, 08:49 PM
fatbloke racing
Part of the Furniture

I'd Thoroughly check the wiring loom especially where it goes through the bulk head. could well be chaffed through somewhere or rotten connection.
Also, you say the fuel pump works etc have you had the fuel pressure and regulator checked? I had the same fault on my saph a few years back and I found the regulator return to the fuel tank was blocked, would run then cut out...replaced reg all good
Old 03-03-2009, 08:51 PM
fatbloke racing
Part of the Furniture

Hmmmm just had a thought, where is the reg on yours? I take it the problem is with the orion, I think the reg is by the fuel pump underneath at the rear???? Correct me if im wrong!

Trending Topics

Old 03-03-2009, 08:58 PM
Dan16v
Advanced PassionFord User

My old white series 2 used to do this, and im sorry but your AE must have shite equipment because mine was on a H plate and he diagnosed ecu pretty much straight away, changed it, and it was fine after that, so my bet is on your ECU, if its on OFAC I have one for sale
Old 03-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Potential chip module issue if its chipped.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:13 AM
smudge_lad

Originally Posted by fatbloke racing
I'd Thoroughly check the wiring loom especially where it goes through the bulk head. could well be chaffed through somewhere or rotten connection.
Also, you say the fuel pump works etc have you had the fuel pressure and regulator checked? I had the same fault on my saph a few years back and I found the regulator return to the fuel tank was blocked, would run then cut out...replaced reg all good
Originally Posted by fatbloke racing
Hmmmm just had a thought, where is the reg on yours? I take it the problem is with the orion, I think the reg is by the fuel pump underneath at the rear???? Correct me if im wrong!
Swapped the regulator, so it's not that, as the other one worked fine on another car.

Originally Posted by Dan16v
My old white series 2 used to do this, and im sorry but your AE must have shite equipment because mine was on a H plate and he diagnosed ecu pretty much straight away, changed it, and it was fine after that, so my bet is on your ECU, if its on OFAC I have one for sale
Yeah, I'm beginning to think the AE is a diddy, but he's the ONLY one around my area

The ECU is just standard Orion Ghia one, although I have an OFAB from a FRST in the garage waiting to go in

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Potential chip module issue if its chipped.
It's not chipped dude, just standard ecu
Old 04-03-2009, 07:22 AM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smudge_lad
It's a 1.6 CVH EFi turbo for those who don't know
Originally Posted by smudge_lad
The ECU is just standard Orion Ghia one, although I have an OFAB from a FRST in the garage waiting to go in

It's not chipped dude, just standard ecu
Should you be trying to run a turbo car on a non turbo standard Orion Ghia ecu? - could this be the problem

Last edited by Turbocabbie; 04-03-2009 at 07:24 AM.