General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

leaving car in gear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 05:29 PM
rostill2007
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mondymatt
Mates was a Frontera but i remember that one, similiar thing, was a rare evo took all 3 of his cars as a result of the handbrake going iirc.
yeah very few made the rs4 would have been ok if it was in gear
Old 10-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by A J
1st gear facing uphill & reverse facing downhill, front wheels turned towards the kerb.

Out of interest, a car rolling forwards or backwards, will have to fight compression whether it is in 1st or reverse surely? As it is the compression of air (no fuel cos ignition off) that is trying to slow/create resistance, and all that requires is the inlet and exhaust valve to be shut whilst the piston is moving up. That will happen if the engine rotates the correct way or not. Anyone able to tell me if I am wrong?

Therefore I would advocate parking in the lowest gear possible and if your first is lower than your reverse, I would say 1st gear facing up hill or down.

Discuss...

RW
Old 10-02-2009, 06:33 PM
haighlsby
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hevangel
i never knew so many people did this!? i feel like i dont belong when i say i dont leave it in gear!!
Well start leaving it in gear then!

Just remember that its in gear when you start it
Old 10-02-2009, 06:35 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven_RW
Out of interest, a car rolling forwards or backwards, will have to fight compression whether it is in 1st or reverse surely? As it is the compression of air (no fuel cos ignition off) that is trying to slow/create resistance, and all that requires is the inlet and exhaust valve to be shut whilst the piston is moving up. That will happen if the engine rotates the correct way or not. Anyone able to tell me if I am wrong?

Therefore I would advocate parking in the lowest gear possible and if your first is lower than your reverse, I would say 1st gear facing up hill or down.

Discuss...

RW
it doesn't really matter, it's only when it's running should the crank direction matter

at least i think so anyhow
Old 10-02-2009, 06:52 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven_RW

Discuss...

RW
i would agree with you but would also add that forward gears are cut helically so that they have less resistance when driving forwards - trying to turn them backwards will have more resistance so perhaps 1st gear facing uphill is harder to turn.

but the reason for using 1st when facing uphil would be that if you accidentally forget to use the clutch, or are a bird, the car will not be able to go far up the hill. the same for being in reverse when facing downhill - you have the added resistance of a componet of gravity
Old 10-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Ah steven bet me to it! I was gonna ask AJ Why park in reverse?
Old 10-02-2009, 07:20 PM
col cos1
BANNED
BANNED

i always leave car in second or reverse depending which way if on hill etc

and first thing i always do before cranking is push the clutch in,habit i suppose
Old 10-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

Always park in gear and point the wheels to the kerb, the one time I didn't I found out my old saph had a crap handbrake as it rolled down my driveway!!
Old 10-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

A friend told me never to turn my wheel when not moving? Something to do with white washing?

Benni.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Rossco
PassionFord Post Whore!!

White washing? Thats something you do to windows aint it?

Dry steering is not a good idea.

I tend to always leave my cars in gear, usally the one it was last in, always a suprise
Old 10-02-2009, 09:30 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Benni
A friend told me never to turn my wheel when not moving? Something to do with white washing?

Benni.
What the fuck has a clean pair of pants gotta do with turning the wheels?

Technically yeah, it puts extra stress on the steering joints and it will wear the tyres quicker, but on a modern car it can cope!
Old 10-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Childsyxxx

[quote=IAIN ABZ;3940316]
Originally Posted by pani_k
What's turning inside a gearbox if it is in neutral?

QUOTE]

The input shaft, one gear wheel, baulk ring and a syncro ring will be turning as a minimum....

I always leave the car in gear and handbrake off unless on a steep hill.

Minimises the chance of the handbrake cable stretching, and also stops the rear calipers from seizing, particularly in the case of cars with 'cam type' rear handbrakes.

My other half has a Nissan Almera and the rear brakes are frequently siezed on if the handbrake is left on....had to change out 2 calipers so far too
About 2 monthes ago my grandads car was parked on a moderate slope, handbrake on in first on a 1.9 diesel, his car rolled down my drive scraped a wall and straight through my neighbours garage. Its luck of the draw if something breakes or not, and wat the consiquences are afterwards.
Hardbrake cables stretch but thats why you adjust them and common there not exactly exspensive to replace mr scruge use the handbrake for wat its designed to do
Old 11-02-2009, 11:04 AM
haighlsby
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
i would agree with you but would also add that forward gears are cut helically so that they have less resistance when driving forwards - trying to turn them backwards will have more resistance so perhaps 1st gear facing uphill is harder to turn.
Forward gears are cut helically because they make less noise, but they actually provide MORE resistance. Cars whining in reverse gear do so because the reverse gear will be strait cut. This provides less resistance than helical gears but strait cut gears whine like a wounded dog.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:32 AM
JohnnyB
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

aways in gear for me, just logical.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:17 PM
SassyRS
Little Miss...

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by A J
Yep you should always leave the car in gear incase the handbrake fails.

1st gear facing uphill & reverse facing downhill, front wheels turned towards the kerb.

Spot on!
Old 11-02-2009, 12:28 PM
RSRoy
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Always in gear, when I'm on a hill also use the handbrake.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:49 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by chris cdti
buy her a vectra c that not had the rework done on the handbrake lever ans she will soon find out why you leave your car in gear as it makes it way down the road
Haha, Corsa D also suffered from the same problem apparently it was down to a spring in the handbrake.