General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

work for the AA

Search this Thread

Old 27-01-2009, 10:06 PM
kaking1982
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default work for the AA

Just wodering if anyone on here works for the AA i have applied for a job with them and got a load of test to do for them at a the weekend just wondering if anyone else has done them and what are they like
Old 27-01-2009, 10:30 PM
westus1
Advanced PassionFord User

i actualy realy fancy getting a job as an AA patrol
how did you go about it?
was it advertised or online or what?
Old 28-01-2009, 07:43 AM
daviddunlop83

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know someone who works for the RAC and he briefly said alot of it is role playing and how you deal with the customer when out on a breakdown etc.
Old 28-01-2009, 09:04 AM
Gazzonator
Gary Krishna

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Ive worked for the AA as a patrol for a while now.

When I went for the interview/tests the whole thing lasted for about 4 hours.

They wern't too bad. Had to do a theory test, practical test, driving test and a final interview. The theory and practical test were pretty basic tbh.
They just want to see that you have the ability to work on a car and know the basics. They will teach the rest when you do the training.

When you become a patrol be prepared to have to deal with a lot of idiots and people giving you shit because their car cant be repaired at the roadside!

The hours and rosters can take a bit of getting used to if you are used to a job with regular hours too.

All in all though not a bad job. I'll admit I didnt like it at first but I got used to it!!
Old 28-01-2009, 09:07 AM
L7 KOS
Regular Contributor

Whats the sallary like? imo i reckon its all about customer care and theres very little technical expertise required cos lets face it, 9 out of 10 will need some weird and wonderfull part ordering.
Old 28-01-2009, 09:33 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

apparently you are rostered to work not a lot of nights according to the guy who came out the other day

but it's a fairly sensible job, just make sure that you don't answer the phone in the last 10 minutes of your shift, because apaprently they can make you work for an extra 40 minutes past the end of your shift without having to pay you
Old 28-01-2009, 09:43 AM
daviddunlop83

Originally Posted by dojj
apparently you are rostered to work not a lot of nights according to the guy who came out the other day

but it's a fairly sensible job, just make sure that you don't answer the phone in the last 10 minutes of your shift, because apaprently they can make you work for an extra 40 minutes past the end of your shift without having to pay you

I know in the RAC if you work past your shift and your working the nest day whatever you work past your normal hours you go in that much later because say you were meant to work a 12 hour shift and you do 13, they have to give you a 12 hour break between shifts

So if you start at 7 am to 7pm and worked until 8pm you go into work at 8am-7pm the nest day to get your 12 hour rest IIRC

Trending Topics

Old 28-01-2009, 10:06 AM
kaking1982
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by westus1
i actualy realy fancy getting a job as an AA patrol
how did you go about it?
was it advertised or online or what?
Yeah it was on their web site i applied back in october
Old 28-01-2009, 10:09 AM
kaking1982
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Kitchen Devil
Ive worked for the AA as a patrol for a while now.

When I went for the interview/tests the whole thing lasted for about 4 hours.

They wern't too bad. Had to do a theory test, practical test, driving test and a final interview. The theory and practical test were pretty basic tbh.
They just want to see that you have the ability to work on a car and know the basics. They will teach the rest when you do the training.

When you become a patrol be prepared to have to deal with a lot of idiots and people giving you shit because their car cant be repaired at the roadside!

The hours and rosters can take a bit of getting used to if you are used to a job with regular hours too.

All in all though not a bad job. I'll admit I didnt like it at first but I got used to it!!

thanks for the advice . i work funny shift patterns now so i cant see that being a problem, as for the idiots i work with quite a few now most of them engineers with degress that dont know their job
Old 28-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Gazzonator
Gary Krishna

Originally Posted by daviddunlop83
I know in the RAC if you work past your shift and your working the nest day whatever you work past your normal hours you go in that much later because say you were meant to work a 12 hour shift and you do 13, they have to give you a 12 hour break between shifts

So if you start at 7 am to 7pm and worked until 8pm you go into work at 8am-7pm the nest day to get your 12 hour rest IIRC
Doesnt work the same way with the AA. If I work an hour after my shift has finished, I just book an hours overtime.
Old 28-01-2009, 11:12 AM
daviddunlop83

Originally Posted by Kitchen Devil
Doesnt work the same way with the AA. If I work an hour after my shift has finished, I just book an hours overtime.
Im not sure if he gets ovetime for working past his normal hours, but i think there is some law about if you work 12 hours you need 12 hours before you work another 12 hour shift. I might be wrong tho and that might just be RAC policy thing or something
Old 28-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Gazzonator
Gary Krishna

Originally Posted by L7 KOS
Whats the sallary like? imo i reckon its all about customer care and theres very little technical expertise required cos lets face it, 9 out of 10 will need some weird and wonderfull part ordering.
You'd be surprised what you can fix with cable ties and locking wire! Lol!

The thing is, you have to fix a certain percentage of cars to meet your targets, although that doesnt mean permanently fix it. If for example an alternator has packed up and the guys garage is, say, 5 miles away, stick a battery from your van stock on the car, tell him to use as little electrics as poss and follow him. You havent permanently fixed it but fixed it enough to get it to the garage.
Old 28-01-2009, 11:22 AM
Gazzonator
Gary Krishna

Originally Posted by daviddunlop83
Im not sure if he gets ovetime for working past his normal hours, but i think there is some law about if you work 12 hours you need 12 hours before you work another 12 hour shift. I might be wrong tho and that might just be RAC policy thing or something
They do say that you cant work longer than 12 hours but tbh none of my shifts are never rostered any longer than 9.5 to 10 hours long.

That doesnt include driving to and from your sign on/off location though.
Old 28-01-2009, 01:57 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Whast the pay like?