General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Cossie Management or NMS??

Search this Thread

Old 16-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by crazycage
no ones talking about 1.0l metros or bmws they are talking about rs turbos ,and a standard t3 can do 200bhp FACT
You obviously dont understand the difference between flow and boost hence why you dont get the illustration in my previous post.......

But anyway here is Christians post....

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
I also believe that a proper 200bhp simply is not possible on a standard T3 turbo with 1600cc's.
and again Stu's....
Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
You chaps are all looking at BOOST here when the issues is FLOW and with a cammed, polished and ported head, i tend to agree with TOTD.
Myself and most people will take their word as gospel but you are entitled to your opinion........

Last edited by Karlos G; 16-01-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 16-01-2009, 05:56 PM
crazycage
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Karlos G
You obviously dont understand the difference between flow and boost hence why you dont get the illustration in my previous post.......

But anyway here is Christians post....

and again Stu's....

Myself and most people will take their word as gospel but you are entitled to your opinion........
so you really beleave that if you put a t3 on a 1.0l metro it can run 30psi?? and on a 3.2l bm it couldnt do more than 5psi ????? and then you have cheek to say i dont understand the differance between boost and flow.
Old 16-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

PMSL!!! It was an EXAMPLE of the difference between boost and flow not specific data and obviously you still dont understand

Dont worry about it mate, it's a bit of topic anyway.....
Old 20-01-2009, 01:09 AM
rstdave
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eruptionfm@hotmail.co.uk
RSTdave

So if you had another aftermarket management system you wouldnt need a crank sensor setup? Of course you would, a fixed setup like the Fiesta flywheel is not ideal either.

Basic ECU's use batch firing systems which do not require a phase sensor, when trying to get the best out of your engine these types of systems do not help. A sequential management system is by far better for many reason's.

Hence the reason that the cosworth management system works so well and for such little money.

Lets compare what you said about different management systems.

Cosworth L6 ECU £50-80
Cosworth Loom £100

Aprox prices..
Omex ECU £500
Autronic £1000
Emrald £450
Pectel T6 £1000
etc etc..

Looms custom made for any of the above £450

Now lets compare maping costs.

Cosworth £150 loads of tuners around the country

Any other ECU £300 - 500

So as for value for money i dont see your point?
I know you need a crank sensor, i just meant the brackets you see used aren't as neat as using the efi flywheel setup imo, which i use and have no issue with? And seeing as alot of people go for the L8 which is gonna be more than £50 you ain't saving a fortune on the ecu alone which i still hasten to add is 2nd hand at the end of the day with no warranty etc and why would you want to risk using a 20 year old cossie loom? Then your non realistic price for mapping cossie managment pmsl, karl norris might get it running for £150 lol, and you're saying more people have the software etc to map cossie ecu's than anything else? Don't seem to be that many tuners who can live map a cossie ecu and the ones that can charge the money.......
Old 20-01-2009, 07:27 AM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I have this intercooler setup and it is very, very good. However, if you're only wanting 220hp, a GRS would be much cheaper. Karl used to fit these on lower power cars, I'm sure he'd still do it.

Rick.
Old 20-01-2009, 08:44 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by crazycage
so you really beleave that if you put a t3 on a 1.0l metro it can run 30psi?? and on a 3.2l bm it couldnt do more than 5psi ????? and then you have cheek to say i dont understand the differance between boost and flow.
With a standard 5 port head, id find it very easy to believe there is enough restriction there to see 30psi yes.

And I dont think you would see 5psi at high RPM on a 3.2L M3 engine from a T3, it would just be swallowing the air far too fast to even see that much boost I would imagine.
Old 21-01-2009, 12:29 PM
O.K.C
Eruption 101.3fm

Originally Posted by rstdave
I know you need a crank sensor, i just meant the brackets you see used aren't as neat as using the efi flywheel setup imo, which i use and have no issue with?
Not as neat? LOL. How is this not neat? You cant even see any of the sensors or parts your talking about.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...6062006127.jpg

Fair enough YOU have no issue with it but your hardly pushing massive power and you will have limits in many places like injectors on high impeadance etc, also if you want your ECU maped how much will it cost using your batch firing system? you will find that you have other limits such as using a 3bar map sensor, yes it can be fitted and used but at what cost.? + Many other small things that make the difference.

With a Cosworth ECU you have no limits to components used.

And seeing as alot of people go for the L8 which is gonna be more than £50 you ain't saving a fortune on the ecu alone which i still hasten to add is 2nd hand at the end of the day with no warranty etc and why would you want to risk using a 20 year old cossie loom?
LOL. Its up to the person who buys the ECU what level they want. That the same as saying most people use Pectel T2000 instead of T6. My ECU cost me £50 it has run many of my cars with many different engines from a Yb with 350bhp to my ZT with 300+bhp and now back to a Yb..

As for the age of the loom, as long as you buy a decent one that has not been cut about and messed with, then check it with a multimeter and tidy it up it will be fine. My loom has been in and out of about 4 cars and still works with no issues. If you buy a crap loom off a random punk and hope for the best instead of buying one from a know trader you deserve to have issues for trying to cut corners.

Then your non realistic price for mapping cossie managment pmsl, karl norris might get it running for £150 lol, and you're saying more people have the software etc to map cossie ecu's than anything else? Don't seem to be that many tuners who can live map a cossie ecu and the ones that can charge the money.......
My price for mapping is very realistic pal, as i have paid for this on many of my cars.

Ahmed
Paul Hills
Jano
ATM
NMS
T&R
Stu

will all do the mapping for around that money if you have a decent base to start from.
Old 21-01-2009, 09:02 PM
rstdave
PassionFord Post Troll

Pal you could get any management system 'tweaked' for little money if you had a good base map....why is cossie management gonna be any cheaper than anything else? Oh and i've already had my ecu mapped....and wtf do you know about my car anyway?! And i'm on about the brackets i've seen on an original rst engine not a zt, it was a general statement as to the brackets and trigger wheels you see on the cam pulley on some conversions like the first pic you used. And 2nd hand looms, not something i'd want to use personally, multi meter can only tell you so much without picking the whole loom apart. Just seems to me if you're doing a management conversion i'd rather use new components/wiring and do the job properly once imo....and it is only my opinion mate everyone's entitled lol
Old 21-01-2009, 10:37 PM
SiZT
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Eruptionfm@hotmail.co.uk
Not as neat? LOL. How is this not neat? You cant even see any of the sensors or parts your talking about.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...6062006127.jpg

the cam sensor isn't visible on that engine because its a Zetec..... which has a cam position sensor which you could use with the cosworth management.

Just underneath the cam cover breater

But you already knew that didn't you.

As for this thread, if you only want 220bhp why go to the lengths of a cossie management. If you have a feeling you might want more then spend the money, Oddkid, NMS, Field Motorsport as well as many others (MSD?) would be able to do the conversion for you

Edited to add: The Oddkid conversion looks a lot neater with the cam sensor than other I have seen

Last edited by SiZT; 21-01-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 25-01-2009, 10:17 PM
O.K.C
Eruption 101.3fm

Originally Posted by SiZT
the cam sensor isn't visible on that engine because its a Zetec.....
Yes it is visable however very neat. It is on the left hand side of the breather pipe on the left of the rocker cover.

So thought i would show one on a CVH.

Originally Posted by SiZT
has a cam position sensor which you could use with the cosworth management.
Just underneath the cam cover breater But you already knew that didn't you.
Yes obviously i did know that, however this cannot be used with the cosworth management setup without having custom cam profiles on the trigger on the cam or made something up which could be adjusted, but then that would make it very hard work to adjust or setup. Hence why the best method is used as you can see.
Old 27-02-2009, 12:30 AM
O.K.C
Eruption 101.3fm

right click save.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:45 PM
rsmark86
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i just brought full cosworth engine management with msd chipped l6 ecu custom rst cossie loom all sensors brackets trgger wheel and pulleys trottle bodie greens 3bar map sensor ect all i diddnt get was the inlet and i payed £260.90 posted and £25 for the inlet /fuel rail and regulater bargain ive been quoted £350 fitted and set up if i get the old crap out and got a t34 for a £120 off ebay aswell so do some hunting and you'll save shit loads as for nms they are one of the best so its upto u.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:59 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by pa_sjo
£1600 for an intercooler, chip and setup sounds a bit expensive to me. I'm sure there are more efficient ways to spend your money.
that what i was thinking.

200bhp out of a 1.6 turbo is relatively easy
Old 09-03-2009, 06:44 PM
JokerDisco
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I've decided to go the Cossie Management Route but now undecided who I want to set it up. I had this conversation with a mate last night, Going to source bits myself and then have it set up by Jano (oddkidd) the only thing that concerns me is that I'm sure he only "live maps" them rather on the rollers? For slightly more money I could still go to NMS and have it set up by them. Still dont know what to do.

Originally Posted by rsmark86
i just brought full cosworth engine management with msd chipped l6 ecu custom rst cossie loom all sensors brackets trgger wheel and pulleys trottle bodie greens 3bar map sensor ect all i diddnt get was the inlet and i payed £260.90 posted and £25 for the inlet /fuel rail and regulater bargain ive been quoted £350 fitted and set up if i get the old crap out and got a t34 for a £120 off ebay aswell so do some hunting and you'll save shit loads as for nms they are one of the best so its upto u.
Funny that, I purchased the follwoing today:

Blue Injectors,
Fuel Regulator
Fuel Rail
Throttle Switch
ISCV
EFI Inlet
and a few other bits and bobs for £170 - not quite as cheap but I'm getting there slowly and surley.