General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Another Fatality

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 05:36 PM
RC4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont feel guilty mate,
as said above with this credit crunch there will be more!!!
Old 06-11-2008, 06:25 PM
fezzajsy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

chin up mate..
Old 06-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Mr C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unfortunately its only going to get worse for train drivers in the next year with the current economic climate, I know that being hit by a train is maybe one of THE most certain forms of suicide You have to be desperate to do it but then the train driver is hardly going to concern them
Old 06-11-2008, 09:41 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Robski
Its happened to me before,honestly though...it never affected me...but then again i'm a heartless bastard(I guess)
When i had mine it was 5p.m on a friday night,i had another 7 hours left of my shift and after the first 5-10 seconds of the intial shock i thought to myself "bonus,i'll be out with my mates tonight"..and i was..lol
In my opinion if someone wants to take thier life,then f**k them....i won't lose any sleep over them...and its a free sick leave I.M.O.
So Porkie(Lee) you are not a freak in the slightest,i know LOADS of drivers that feel the same and they have had one(or more) one unders.
Its worse when its an accident or if its a kid,thankfully i've never had one of those.
Although i have mates that have completley lost it over a one under,so i can understand where you(cossie4i) come from.
But with this credit crunch i knew there would be more jumpers and there have been!
I'd have one tommorow,then i could have Christmas off
Another train driver ?

We get 6 weeks of max, you would not get to christmas

Steve.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Ellie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

thats really awful. i feel sorry for everyone involved, directly and indirectly.
As someone else said, if a person feels so bad that they can throw themselves in front of a train then how it might affect the driver is probably the last thing they would think of.
Its a sad fact of life.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:10 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

if someone jumps infront of you,its not like a car....200+ tons can't stop on a six pence......your are usually toast if you jump infront of a train
LOL, obviously... I've never driven a train, but surely it'd be possible to pull up if you're just tooling around just after leaving a station. I wouldnt expect it to pull up at 70+ though, and I guess thats where these lunatics pick to jump.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 06-11-2008, 11:09 PM
Robski
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by cossie4i
Another train driver ?

We get 6 weeks of max, you would not get to christmas

Steve.
8 weeks atleast...then light duties
Old 07-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

its hard to feel sorry for anyone when there is people who use this as a excuse to milk it, take into account that to take your own life AINT a easy thing,,,, the person is obv in a shitty situation in the first place

im suprised people dont accept that to do this AINT easy ffs

to milk it for time of,,,,,,, thats fucking worse IMO
Old 07-11-2008, 07:50 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

Originally Posted by Ginge !
its hard to feel sorry for anyone when there is people who use this as a excuse to milk it, take into account that to take your own life AINT a easy thing,,,, the person is obv in a shitty situation in the first place

Wll given the first poster on this thread DIDNT EVEN HIT the guy yet feels traumatised. You have to wonder if its something that gets taught at Train driving school...
Old 07-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Micky The Finn
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Porkie
Maybe it would be different if it actually happened to me.... but sitting here thinking about it I don't think it would bother me at all???

I know that sounds weird and maybe I am being naive but the person wanted to die and so they died?

If I knocked someone innocent down or hurt someone I would be distraught.

But I really don't think killing someone in a train who wanted to die would affect me?

am I a freak or does anyone else feel like that?

as I say if it happened to me then maybe it would be different?
your not looking at this correctly at all lee!

we had one a few weeks ago,lady in here 40's,stepped out in the dark,the driver only realized when blood started running over the windscreen,so he stopped and she was stuck on the front of his train,it was very late at nite and he was in the middle of nowhere,he came on the signal phone screaming his heart out!!!there was a woman dead no more than 10 yards from him,no head and no legs,his train cab was covered in blood,the poor driver never looked back,our signalman told himto walk straight ahead and sent my mate to pick him up.a horrible horrible sight!!that will stick with him for life!! wheather he feels responsible or not he has still seen the aftermath!!!no words can repair the damage he has felt/witnessed!!
Old 07-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Micky The Finn
Former Sponsor

have you seen the aftermath of a serious train collision then selling car parts in a warehouse?

until you and the splattered body at 3am in the morning miles from civilisation happens then your not qualified to comment one fucking bit!!
Old 08-11-2008, 12:30 AM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Originally Posted by Rich_w
Wll given the first poster on this thread DIDNT EVEN HIT the guy yet feels traumatised. You have to wonder if its something that gets taught at Train driving school...
I would just like to inform you that i WAS involved in a fatality 3 weeks before this incident.
The woman didn't jump infront of my train but i stopped right next to her. She had lost some of her limbs and was covered in blood and still just about breathing. She died after a few minutes.
It is not a very nice sight seeing someone die like that in front of you.
I never had any time of work for this incident.
I was not traumatised by the fatality on Wednesday but just a little shaken as it reminded me of what happened 3 weeks ago. Maybe i was not over seeing someone cut up and die by a train ?
Again i still have not had any time of work.

I hope this explains it a bit better to you how i feel.

Steve.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:34 AM
Robski

Originally Posted by TF Rallyesport
have you seen the aftermath of a serious train collision then selling car parts in a warehouse?

until you and the splattered body at 3am in the morning miles from civilisation happens then your not qualified to comment one fucking bit!!
Remember...Ginge ISN'T A PARTS MAN!..lol

seriously though,Ginge has no right to reply when he has NO IDEA what its like to be involved in such a circumstance like a one under,i was back in work in just over a week(is that milking the system???) when i had mine.....some people take longer.

Its not about "milking" the system......Ginge i reckon you do more damage in your job working past your hours for free and doing "many kinds of jobs that no one wants to do "(that is in your varied job descripton that no one can explain or give you a title to) and cutting jobs for other folk in your work place with your work ethic!

Remember a little knowledge is dangerous!!

I wouldn't tell you if it is or is not traumatising to lose 3 fanbelts from your last stock take,now would i?
Old 08-11-2008, 01:47 AM
COLEYST200
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 144 Likes on 133 Posts

im so sorry to here this mate i just cannot emashin wot it must be like ....

sorry to ask but i do work some times on the side of the tracks in them cabins you see there gray sheds . wot iv been told when working the is the drivers like you that have this happon to them get 1 week off and Ł1000 to help you get over it . if it is right its not longenuth and not anuff ŁŁŁ
Old 08-11-2008, 01:50 AM
c0ss1e9i6
Franco

Grim news bloke!

Sorry to read that!
Old 08-11-2008, 03:42 AM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

I reckon that must be a totally horrendous experience. I "think" people just imagine the body disappearing under the wheels of the train never to be seen again. Not you having to stop and look at the parts of a human being after they were split up limb from torso after such an impact. It must be unbelievable and I really feel for you. I always watch people when I go under a bridge, if they are standing over the top/looking over the edge of the bridge. I change lane whenever possible, as I don't want anything to do with it.

Feel sorry for you mate

RW
Old 08-11-2008, 08:07 AM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Originally Posted by COLEYST200
im so sorry to here this mate i just cannot emashin wot it must be like ....

drivers like you that have this happon to them get 1 week off and Ł1000 to help you get over it . if it is right its not longenuth and not anuff ŁŁŁ
You can have longer than 1 week off.

Not sure about getting any money.

Steve.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:36 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by TF Rallyesport

your missing my point,,,,,, im not commenting about the obvious effects it DOES have on people, its the cunts who milk it to get time of work

nobody in that situation is good, including the person who couldnt face living anymore too

my job has fuck all to do with this, ive seen a fair few things in life too

milking time off work.......... HOPING for someone to stand infront of them is fucking wrong,,,,, what part dont you get in that ???

btw a mate i grew up with, hes dad was a part of the " clean up crew" working between euston to watford, used to work at kingscross where is very comon

oh and i also was made late for work by someone who jumped infront of a underground train early monday morning at kings cross,, infact a few times but once i was on the fucking train
Old 08-11-2008, 09:42 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

I'd have one tommorow,then i could have Christmas off
comments like thisare what the fuck im talking about,,, thats a REAL trauma,,,,,, feel for a bloke who WISHES it to happen
Old 08-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

the SAME person,,,, PLANNING hes "under" for when it happens

im sure this is WHY its in place,,,, for tossers to MILK IT,,,,,, it ruins it for the GENUINE people who DO get affected,,, even if its a off the cuff comment its not got ANY positive feeling from me for a person who
A) couldnt live with life for what ever reason,, remember we DONT naturally choose not to live, something has happened that fucked someone up and made them GENUINLY ill

B) someone who has this happen will be looked at as someone who wants the " free holiday" and a "bonus" to spend it

id say 50% of people are affected,,,,, and then theres the other who are at first but movce forward

you think the police dont get tramatised,,,, firemen who listen to someone burn to death or see a small baby dead in a house fire

what about doctors or surgeons who loose a paitent ??
Old 08-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Got involved in another fatality last night

Thats 2 in 3 weeks

Nothing for 21 years before, wounder how long until the 3rd one.

Steve.

Don't dwell on it Steve, You're not the only one who is mowing them down at the moment - Seems that silly season is once again upon us, I expect my 3rd anytime soon aswell

(Altho it appears I am one of the unluckiest drivers at the depot - in the last 6 months it has been 7 near misses (2 involving kids), 3 dogs (upsetting as I have a pooch of my own), numerous bird strikes, 3 windscreens from bricks and 1 "brick on a rope" hanging from a bridge - yet I'm still smiling, even if I don't look happy )

Last edited by Graceland; 08-11-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:30 AM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Originally Posted by Graceland
Don't dwell on it Steve, You're not the only one who is mowing them down at the moment - Seems that silly season is once again upon us, I expect my 3rd anytime soon aswell

(Altho it appears I am one of the unluckiest drivers at the depot - in the last 6 months it has been 7 near misses (2 involving kids), 3 dogs (upsetting as I have a pooch of my own), numerous bird strikes, 3 windscreens from bricks and 1 "brick on a rope" hanging from a bridge - yet I'm still smiling, even if I don't look happy )
Only ever lost 1 windscreen from bricks, lost 3 from bird strikes.

Sod the brick on a rope

Steve.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

The brick on the rope scared the shit out of me, I was just thankful it was a 158 I was driving and the brick bounced off the rubber gangway connection - 6" further my way and it would of been a diferent story!
Old 08-11-2008, 11:05 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

think they should think about reinforcing the screens if that shits happening

what the fuck is someone thinking for that ?
Old 08-11-2008, 11:35 AM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

it must be hard mate seeing what u do,at least it was'nt your fault!

Things like this make us all think !

Paul
Old 08-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Ginge - Modern trains have a screen that is approx 1.5" thick made up of a composite laminate that has no glass at all, bricks either bounce off them or embed in them - excellent properties.

But you have to remember, that the fleet on the railway is some 20 years old and the screens are like car windscreens (but a tiny bit thicker) - they will stop bricks and stones to an extent, but are ultimately no protection at 75mph if you get bricked

A couple of years ago a Freightliner driver down south way somewhere had a piece of stone equivelant to the size of a 20 pack of ber thrown at the windscreen of his loco. He was travelling at 75mph, the brick came thru the window and hit the driver in the face/upper chest - He is lucky to be alive.

The police caught the offending people and they were charged with common assault and endangering the railway. - IMHO they should be charged with attempted murder as it is a malicious act that they deliberately did to injure another person.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Ginge - Modern trains have a screen that is approx 1.5" thick made up of a composite laminate that has no glass at all, bricks either bounce off them or embed in them - excellent properties.

But you have to remember, that the fleet on the railway is some 20 years old and the screens are like car windscreens (but a tiny bit thicker) - they will stop bricks and stones to an extent, but are ultimately no protection at 75mph if you get bricked

its seriously shite when you think how fucked up some morons are

id strap one of them cunts to the tracks
Old 08-11-2008, 12:37 PM
ricey
Regular Contributor

sorry to hear this fella. a good friend off mine hung him self not so long ago and scared / hurt so many people in the process. it's selish mate
Old 08-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Sorry to read this pal, its all trauma you guys don't need to be dealing with when all you want to do is complete your job and get the passengers to their destination safely in order to feed your families at home.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by lots of people on here
it's selfish
I detest that quote! How is it Selfish? Life gets shit for lots of people for lots of different people.

Easy example which Im sure people can imagine.

Guy loses his job. And for whatever reason cant get a new one. his marriage breaks down and she leaves him, taking his kids with her. The bills mount up and up and he decends into serious depression. outwardly hes hiding it better than people would ever think. But inwardly hes become a shadow of his former self. He believes that nothing will ever change and things wont get better. So he decides to end his life.

But sure, realy its selfish to end you life. When everyone around you doesnt seem to care about you. society is a lonely place if you dont have anybody.

I dont think anybody should judge until youve been in that situation.

I would just like to inform you that i WAS involved in a fatality 3 weeks before this incident.
The woman didn't jump infront of my train but i stopped right next to her. She had lost some of her limbs and was covered in blood and still just about breathing. She died after a few minutes.
It is not a very nice sight seeing someone die like that in front of you.
I never had any time of work for this incident.
I was not traumatised by the fatality on Wednesday but just a little shaken as it reminded me of what happened 3 weeks ago. Maybe i was not over seeing someone cut up and die by a train ?
Again i still have not had any time of work.

I hope this explains it a bit better to you how i feel.

Steve.
I remember your thread before and I understand why youd be upset. It seemed to me that you were dwelling too much on this 2nd incident that someone else had. trying to relate it to the 1st incident. Fact of life is Train drivers get people jumping in front of them. And I cant believe any driver can go their whole career not getting at least 1. As mentioned abouve, lots of people see people die and its upsetting but if you let every other similar incident affect you maybe you need either some therapy or to find a new job.

Last edited by Rich_w; 08-11-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

rich i actually agree with you totally on this
Old 08-11-2008, 08:28 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Originally Posted by Rich_w
I detest that quote! How is it Selfish? Life gets shit for lots of people for lots of different people.

Easy example which Im sure people can imagine.

Guy loses his job. And for whatever reason cant get a new one. his marriage breaks down and she leaves him, taking his kids with her. The bills mount up and up and he decends into serious depression. outwardly hes hiding it better than people would ever think. But inwardly hes become a shadow of his former self. He believes that nothing will ever change and things wont get better. So he decides to end his life.

But sure, realy its selfish to end you life. When everyone around you doesnt seem to care about you. society is a lonely place if you dont have anybody.

I dont think anybody should judge until youve been in that situation.
You have got the wrong end of the Selfish bit

I feel for anyone who gets in such a state and feel the need to end there lives.

The Selfish part is involving innocent people to end your life.

You can kill yourself in others ways so why involve somebody else and screw up there lives ? Thats what i think is Selfish.

As for your comments about me, i will just forget them, until it happens to you you can't comment.

Steve.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:52 PM
FIESTA CHRIS H

the SAME person,,,, PLANNING hes "under" for when it happens

im sure this is WHY its in place,,,, for tossers to MILK IT,,,,,, it ruins it for the GENUINE people who DO get affected,,, even if its a off the cuff comment its not got ANY positive feeling from me for a person who
A) couldnt live with life for what ever reason,, remember we DONT naturally choose not to live, something has happened that fucked someone up and made them GENUINLY ill

B) someone who has this happen will be looked at as someone who wants the " free holiday" and a "bonus" to spend it

id say 50% of people are affected,,,,, and then theres the other who are at first but movce forward

you think the police dont get tramatised,,,, firemen who listen to someone burn to death or see a small baby dead in a house fire

what about doctors or surgeons who loose a paitent ??
agree with what your saying ginge.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:54 PM
FIESTA CHRIS H

stuff that shit. you shouldnt have to deal with that when you go to work