General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Essex boys discuss(update pg5)

Search this Thread

Old 22-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dojj,play have rise of the foot soldier on their site. round 11quid form what i remember
Old 22-10-2008, 11:27 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

as a book?
is it worth getting seeing as i'll have seen the film?
Old 22-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

yes as a book.look in the true crime book bit on play.

dojj,come on mate.surely you should know how bad the films are compared to the books.
Old 22-10-2008, 03:19 PM
booner999
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting
Old 22-10-2008, 03:26 PM
dojj

sometiems, watching the film makes you appreciate the book is long and rambling, but most of the time the books paint a much better picture than the films do about certain feelings and moods and scene settings

i'll watch the film first and then find the book, if i find it el cheapo i'll give everyone a link to it
Old 22-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Its well worth reading

bonded by blood
essex boys
bloggs 19

and the film rotf

what makes it good is the simularitys, but key differences, oh and beingable to picture the places, from living in and being around the area all my life.

muscle was pretty crap to behonet.

Then when you've read up on the gangsters and there shit,

go read "king of clubs" same sort of clubing scene, but not in anywy a gangster, a busines man
Old 22-10-2008, 08:41 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well....How cool is this.

Just reading the local paper that drops through the door on a wednesday......

Turns out, Carlton Leech is coming to my town, Leamington Spa tomorrow for a book signing session........

Looks like i better go and buy a copy of Rise of the Footsolider and get Carlton to sign it......See if i can get a pic with him too
Old 22-10-2008, 08:59 PM
smokey
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by TIFF
Well....How cool is this.

Just reading the local paper that drops through the door on a wednesday......

Turns out, Carlton Leech is coming to my town, Leamington Spa tomorrow for a book signing session........

Looks like i better go and buy a copy of Rise of the Footsolider and get Carlton to sign it......See if i can get a pic with him too
You'll need a wide lense camera then Tiff!
Old 22-10-2008, 09:01 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Originally Posted by smokey
You'll need a wide lense camera then Tiff!
Not a problem
Old 22-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Hockney

Originally Posted by dojj
as a book?
is it worth getting seeing as i'll have seen the film?
If you've seen the film of ROTFS then there is absolutely no need to read the book. I read the book before the movie came out and when I finally got round to seeing the film I felt I'd seen it all before
Old 22-10-2008, 10:11 PM
The Rapid 1

What I dont get about it is the lack of damage destruction to the car and people.

I wouldve thought shooting someone that close would have literaly blown there heads off or a fook off great hole in their bodies, not to mention the car.

Ok I appreciate "shot" spreads when fired and then would be lots of little bits but at that close quarters it hasnt had time to spread.

On a top gear a while back, cant remamber the one, think it was an African adventure, but they sunk their cars and to drain the water, they used a shotgun, probably the same sorta distance as the murder weapon was shot from, and it blow a fookin great hole in the bottom of their cars.

Now in my mind that shouldve passed straight thru the bodies and done some damage to the interior of the car, especialy like I said the shot hadnt had time to really spread, so would have been more like a huge lump of lead coming out.

Well thats my bit im curious about.

Steve
Old 22-10-2008, 10:39 PM
dojj

it depnds on what calibre firle they were using, the ammount of pellets, speed, dispertion, deflection and stuff like that

i was watching a program on discovery the other day that showed how a smaller bullit, traveling at less speed fucked up this block of clay on a tree much more than the big heavy velocity round did which just made a hole in the middle while the other one blew the block to shit
10" square blocks of clay we are talking about not some plasticine either and they were on about how one would kill the guy stone dead, the other sort would not just blow him away, but the guy behind him and possibly fuck up the guy in 3rd place as well
Old 23-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Hockney
If you've seen the film of ROTFS then there is absolutely no need to read the book. I read the book before the movie came out and when I finally got round to seeing the film I felt I'd seen it all before
not to mention theres nothing worse than reading a book when you already know the ending pmsl
Old 23-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginge !
not to mention theres nothing worse than reading a book when you already know the ending pmsl
Who the fuck edited your post to just 1 line
Old 23-10-2008, 10:48 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

but most of the time the books paint a much better picture than the films do about certain feelings and moods and scene settings

Exactly, a film skips so much in order to fit it into 1.5-2 hrs or so. The book gives you the information and you project it with your MIND but a film just puts it all up front. Davinci code is one of the best examples, my mrs passed me the book but I thought it was alright albeit not my usual thing, 600 pages done in a day or so, film however was wank. I reckon if you read a book then see the film version after it will be disapointing but if you do it film to book then you will still get something from it, despite knowing the outcome.

Without reading the book Footsoldier film was ace I thought.
Old 23-10-2008, 10:57 PM
gar mae

I find if I read the book first then see the film then im usually disapointed, I've read a few books that were really good, then saw the film and thought they were rubbish.

Some exeptions to the rule, Fear and Lothing, film was great even after reading the book (book still better IMO)
Old 24-10-2008, 12:19 AM
~nomad~
PassionFord Post Whore!!

interesting stuff. I need to pick one of this books up, whats the best one?
Old 24-10-2008, 08:10 AM
dojj

book to film there are some stand out ones out there

lord of the rings for sure, even if it's chopped, it's still epic
rita hayworth and the shawshank redeption, word for word perfect
the green mile, scene for scene perfect
can't really say anything else i've seen/read has matched up

the golden compass was one that really was shit, the book wasn't that good either so it was bound to be worse than a kebab on a sunday morning
Old 02-11-2008, 08:57 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Essex boys book is great the story from bernard read it on holiday , didnt realise that he was actually maytes with them ect i thought he was a journalist that took to do with the story at the time.Worth a read
Old 02-11-2008, 11:44 PM
WRCjames

Ive always been really interested in all this as its fairly local to me. i must of only been about 11 when it all happened though.

In Essex boys the driver says he's got a place in Wickford iirc but in the film his house is on the Jaywick seafront. my mate lives 6 doors down!

will have to get the Bloggs 19 book as ive heard before this post thats its a good read.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:20 PM
CosworthGuy
3dr Cosworth owner

Me with carlton leach. Had him over in peterborough with dave courtney a little while ago. looked after then for the day along with a few people. the guy that played him in Foot soldier too if i remeber right
Old 03-11-2008, 06:26 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by Series1Guy

Me with carlton leach. Had him over in peterborough with dave courtney a little while ago. looked after then for the day along with a few people. the guy that played him in Foot soldier too if i remeber right
who's who in the pic

i've just read bonded by blood after reading wannabe in my gang

it's the same book with a differnt cover and different pictuers in it
Old 03-11-2008, 06:30 PM
CosworthGuy
3dr Cosworth owner

who's who in the pic

i've just read bonded by blood after reading wannabe in my gang

it's the same book with a differnt cover and different pictuers in it
Fuck me I dont look the same age do I ?. Im on the left and he's on the right lol
Old 03-11-2008, 06:50 PM
dojj

i thought you've put up a pic of dave yumwith this bigger than him fella
Old 04-11-2008, 03:10 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Right then, I've finished O'Mahoneys Essex boys, Nicolls Bloggs 19 and have about 50 pages left of Leaches foot soldier. It's clear to see that O'mahoney just worked with them, mainly through Raquels and Carlton was Tuckers real friend going on holidays with them and both walking out Nigel Benn. In fact on youtube on the Mcclellin fight you can clearly see Carlton at the ring contratulating his mate who he was a best man for.

Bloggs 19 shows a whole different side nothing to do with club doors and pills but to do with drug smuggling from other countries on boats with Steele and Whomes. There is phone evidence putting Nicolls there and believe him 100% or not it seems hard to believe he would be around the Rettendon murder scene with anyone else. After reading the books etc these guys had the motive as Tucker and Tate were shouting off how they would kill Steele for the bad drug deal then there's the fact that Tate was getting involved in his buisness and messing it up for him, plus the involvement with Tates mrs. The evidence given just outweighs and issues that come up IMO and wasn't Jack Whomes in the Rettendon area as well?

As for O'mahoney and Whomes brother John doing protests saying "he wasn't like that couldn't have done it" well what about that bloke who blocked access to his mansion, killed all the pets and his wife and daughter then set fire to the house, sure he wasn't like that either but money/drugs makes people do things. Most shootings in the UK involve drugs. These guys were drugs smugglers not shop lifters, who had been in prison before.

What do you lot who have read the books reckon, they guilty or innocent?
Old 04-11-2008, 03:17 PM
booner999

not read the books etc, but they say mobile phone evidence proofs that they was not there..... so not sure whats what. Unfortunetly as good as the films books etc are, they are just what ppl want you to see. There will be nothing incriminating in there for ppl like leach etc.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:39 PM
dojj

there are too many variables to decide who you think is guilty or innocent i think
Old 04-11-2008, 04:03 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by booner999
not read the books etc, but they say mobile phone evidence proofs that they was not there..... so not sure whats what. Unfortunetly as good as the films books etc are, they are just what ppl want you to see. There will be nothing incriminating in there for ppl like leach etc.

Agree to some point. Carlton's book was a bit of a let down both in the way its written and what'd told. He does reveal stuff but a lot of the book is repetitive, every time he explains a minding job or whatever the books says the same stuff over like "people deal drugs, kill for it and pay to guard it" big long paragraths on it each time, I felt like Deju vu Bill Murray.

there are too many variables to decide who you think is guilty or innocent i think

Sure, no one knows 100% for sure but for me I swing towards the side that they did it, it just makes sense. Loads hated them for how they were treated or ripped off but Steele had a big motive IMO and little alibi/defence. Also Nicolls being there and not Steele and Whomes is like saying Pate Tate being there without Tucker or Tucker without Carlton or Rolfe, possible but unlikely.

Last edited by skeg; 04-11-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:04 PM
mercury xr
Regular Contributor

My brother is in prison with 1 of them and he still protest's his innocence now, i believe both of them do.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:10 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by mercury xr
My brother is in prison with 1 of them and he still protest's his innocence now, i believe both of them do.

Haven't you seen Shawshank redemption? Everyone in prison is innocent!

If Nicolls wasn't there then I could believe it but as he was definitely there then I find it hard to believe this 'mega gangster' did it with him and not them.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:15 PM
mercury xr
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by skeg
Haven't you seen Shawshank redemption? Everyone in prison is innocent!

If Nicolls wasn't there then I could believe it but as he was definitely there then I find it hard to believe this 'mega gangster' did it with him and not them.

To be honest I don't know a great deal about the Range Rover shootings, however I do know not everyone in prison is guilty, when the police and courts want to nail someone they will do, but thats a differant matter!

I am not saying the 2 serving the sentances for the killings are innocent, I just know that they are deffinatly protesting their innocence.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:18 PM
batesy
Virgin

youtube carlton leach and there is a documentary on there of him saying that rise off the foot soldier is the closet he could he go with out getting other people in trouble also takes you to see tony tuckers grave and stuff but yeah rise of the foot soldier is closet by far essex boys isn't a very good film IMO
Old 04-11-2008, 04:52 PM
ghigo
PassionFord Regular

the best bit in essex boys is when the saph cossie does donuts lol i found a clip of it, bout a 1:30 in, http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rvt-4...eature=related
Old 04-11-2008, 05:57 PM
dojj

of all the ways to get it done, i think the theory that there was a 4th fella i the car who got out ot open the gate, and then some next fella pulled a shooter out and blew them away stands to be the best way to explain how things worked out

but there are so many peole who could have been there and in the frame it's virtually impossible for the pf jury to figure out who it was

it could have been this fabled drug drop from a plane and someone setting them up
Old 22-01-2010, 07:23 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

i know this is an old thread; but i'm 3/4 the way through the book "bloggs 19", for anyone who is interested, then i can recommend this book - very well written, keeps you hooked!
Old 22-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by LHD220Turbo
i know this is an old thread; but i'm 3/4 the way through the book "bloggs 19", for anyone who is interested, then i can recommend this book - very well written, keeps you hooked!

have you read the others too? rotf and essex boys books are cracking too
Old 22-01-2010, 07:28 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullett
not yet, but plan to!

neighbour gave me this book and said it was by far the best book related to the murders etc
Old 22-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Munch
Mr. Sparkle!

Speaking of Essex boys...I watched that the other night actually, Still enjoy watching it today!
Old 22-01-2010, 08:03 PM
MarkyMark

i thought essex boys was ok, but as with all of them they are from one persons point of view, whether everything is true or not its all within context we dont know.

I knew of a few of the people in the books through my old man, iirc it mentions in essex boys (can someone confirm this, havent got the book no more) a doorman from romford who killed someone and got banged up for it, know him quite well and his sons, who are just as bad as him!.
Old 22-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by LHD220Turbo
Originally Posted by Bullett

Read essex boys and bloggs 19, but the bonded by blood was the best one

Quick Reply: Essex boys discuss(update pg5)