General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Question regarding trade plates

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 01:40 PM
JohnP001
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question regarding trade plates

I’ve just sold my car, which has no MOT or insurance. The person who purchased it said he could drive it away on his trade plates, which he showed me. He has now left with the car.

Is this true?

Cheers
John
Old 12-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Paddy
Legend

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

No.

Trade plates only cover Road tax.

As long as you have his signature on a receipt and the V5 to state transfer of ownership, it doesn't really matter to you does it?

Edited to add: You need a trader's policy to get trade plates so he should be insured IF they are his in the first place.

The only time you can drive without an MOT is if you're on the way to or from a testing station.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:45 PM
JohnP001
PassionFord Regular

Thanks. I've got the V5 portion to show transfer of ownership, so guess I'm in the clear then.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:56 PM
bigjim172000
Me Cossie Runs Atlast!!!!

I was reading an article in i think aftermarket(garage magazine) and it stated that if you sell your car to an individual, you must make sure they are insured to drive it or it can still come back to you. Not sure how that works even though you have a signed date of sale. Bloody country is heading straight up its own arse
Old 12-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Paddy
Legend

Originally Posted by bigjim172000
I was reading an article in i think aftermarket(garage magazine) and it stated that if you sell your car to an individual, you must make sure they are insured to drive it or it can still come back to you.
Easy enough to find out if you've got access to the Motor Insurance Database website.

I doubt 99% of private people selling a car have though so may be worth re reading the article.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Aaroncast
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by bigjim172000
I was reading an article in i think aftermarket(garage magazine) and it stated that if you sell your car to an individual, you must make sure they are insured to drive it or it can still come back to you. Not sure how that works even though you have a signed date of sale. Bloody country is heading straight up its own arse
its not your concern if he has no insurance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you have the sale reciept dated and timed so he can do as he wants-----no comeback to you------------------
Old 12-10-2008, 02:29 PM
arch
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You know, I seem to recall a conversation with an insurance company a few months ago. Basically to the effect that if you sell a car/bike to someone who drives/rides it away with no insurance and it is involved in a bump, then insurance companies will come back to you for their money. Something about last insured.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:43 PM
bigjim172000
Me Cossie Runs Atlast!!!!

Originally Posted by arch
You know, I seem to recall a conversation with an insurance company a few months ago. Basically to the effect that if you sell a car/bike to someone who drives/rides it away with no insurance and it is involved in a bump, then insurance companies will come back to you for their money. Something about last insured.
Thank you
Old 12-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Paddy
Legend

If you're a policeman as your avatar may suggest, I hope your level of knowledge of the law you deal with is less vague than that of the Road Traffic Act!

The driver is responsible.

A quick google is all you need, section 143 of the Road Traffic Act.

ONCE AGAIN, a little knowledge is VERY dangerous!
Old 12-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Nath
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who were you talking to? Bird bird from Sesame street? Sounds ridiculous that the last owner is responsible for the new owners responsibilities ...
Old 12-10-2008, 03:08 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If this is the case, then what an absolutley shocking law!

How are we as private individuals supposed to be held responsible for checking if others are legal to drive our cars away.

Technically speaking, as soon as the money changes hands, its their car so how can we, as a seller, be held responsible????? Seems madness to me.

So not only do we have to check for fake money/bankers drafts etc, we now have to check for fake insurance certficates and fake cover notes. This doesnt sound as though it could possibly be true to me, surely.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:10 PM
as355f1
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

whom ever you were talking to is wrong
Old 12-10-2008, 03:17 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

what aaroncast said is spot on .

also anyone can borrow trade plates, my mate borrows his to people he knows on the understanding if they get stopped its nothing to do with him,they are not allowed to borrow them only his employes that are insured to drive

depending if the punter is a fucking bell end i put the time and date on a invoice as it has been known for a new owner to try breaking the land speed record on the way home, i also had a van i sold get a parking ticket on the day i sold it to a plasterer,luckily i sent his details off on the form and heard no more,but he could of said it wasn't his and it was me who owned it at the time and that would of been tricky,not if the invoice is timed and dated though