General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

i phones? F.A.O thrush

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Turbo Pez
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i phones? F.A.O thrush

Quick question,

Will a 02 pay as u go sim car, work in a contract phone???

My bird bought a unlocked one of ebay, said it can never be updated if so it will clear the unlocking!! but surey it can take a 02 sim?

Last edited by Turbo Pez; 06-10-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thrush is the man to ask!!!
Old 06-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Turbo Pez

Cheers i will edit the title
Old 06-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Which iPhone?

The 3G ones can't be unlocked - unlocked in the definition that any sim card can be used - it will only work on o2 and not on T-Mobile, Orange etc etc. You can use a sim-hacker to fool the phone, these cost about Ł30, seem to work by recent reviews, but you have to put the phone into flight mode before connection with iTunes on your computer.

Lots of people use the term unlocking instead of the correct term "jailbreaking". Jailbreaking means to unlock the phone's SOFTWARE to use third party apps not available from the App store, and to modify the phones operating system.

However, back to topic. As said, I need to know which phone - the 1st Gen 2G phone or 2nd Gen 3G phone (distinguisable by the back cover - silver aluminium is 2G, black plastic is 3G)

If it is a 2G these can be unlocked and jailbroken. Mine is a 2G unlocked, running on t-mobile sim and jailbroken with third party apps installed. A 3G can only be jailbroken, not unlocked!

All iPhones, be they locked or not, will work with o2 contract and PAYG sims. However, if the sim is not 3G enabled, then you won't pick up any mobile internet over the cellular network. o2 enable some sims to be 3G compatible and some not to be. Also you will need a data bolt on to access the web.

As for updates, rubbish. 2G iphones that are unlocked and jailbroken like mine, aswell as 3G handsets that are jailbroken have all been ungradeable for firmware updates - mine is on 2.1 which is current. You just need to wait for the Dev Team to release the hack in order to upgrade, as upgrading firmware on a jailbroken phone, despite being locked or unlocked, will un-jailbreak it again, back to standard Apple firmware. It then needs to be jailbroken again onto the new firmware, hence needing the Dev Team's hack for it.

To recap - by the sounds of your post, it has been jailbroken onto the latest firmware (possibly previous 2.0/2.0.1/2.0.2 firmware, most likely current 2.1) and the guy who sold it don't know shit - hence saying it's "unlocked" and "can't upgrade the firmware"

But yes, an o2 PAYG sim will work, make sure it is 3G enabled and has a data bolt on though
Old 06-10-2008, 07:02 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Or just get a samsung toco
Old 06-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by Mondeo Man
Or just get a samsung toco
Why in the fuck would you do that?
Old 06-10-2008, 07:09 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thrush, could i buy an iphone, have it unlocked and then pap my orange sim car in it?

What would the differences be? Would i be able to use the internet, emails etc? what features wouldnt work etc?

Cheers man.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

just port your number over to O2!

Le, bless his little heart, spoilt me rotten and bought me an iphone, and it is just the daddy!
Old 06-10-2008, 07:17 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry to hijack - But got a quick one for Thrush - I'm a poor journalist and can't afford an iPhone, but I fancy a 'Touch'. I keep reading about jailbreaking so you can get 3rd party apps for the Phone and Touch - Now are these apps worth the bother? What kind of stuff can you get?
Old 06-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by Coldo
Thrush, could i buy an iphone, have it unlocked and then pap my orange sim car in it?
Yes, but only a 2G (1st gen) iPhone (metal back) can be software-unlocked. 3G's cannot be software unlocked (yet) so you need a sim-hacker like this; http://www.any-network.com/ (I know a few people who use this particular one, and reports of using the V2 model are good)

Originally Posted by Coldo
What would the differences be? Would i be able to use the internet, emails etc? what features wouldnt work etc?
The only feature that doesn't work when using a sim from another company, ie Orange, T-Mobile, etc, is visual voicemail (instead of how you normally call your voicemail and follow the prompts of the "woman" pressing 1, 3, 7 etc) you see a "list" of voicemail you have and can pick which you want to listen to. Is actually a very good idea, but I get about 1 voicemail a week, if that, so I don't miss it by having "regular" voicemail.

Everything else works - internet, email, youtube, iTunes, App Store, etc etc

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
Sorry to hijack - But got a quick one for Thrush - I'm a poor journalist and can't afford an iPhone, but I fancy a 'Touch'. I keep reading about jailbreaking so you can get 3rd party apps for the Phone and Touch - Now are these apps worth the bother? What kind of stuff can you get?
Depends what you want from these apps. The iPhone and iTouch are virtually identical except for the ability to use the celluar networks for data (touch can't do this as it doesn't take a simcard) so in theory, if the apps works over wifi, then it will work on the Touch.

I had to jailbreak my phone in order to unlock it - and as for third party apps, the only things I have installed really are : MMS (picutre messaging) video recorder, Winterboard (so you can edit themes and visual look of the phone), Finder (to browse the root and system folders of the phone), Docs (a doocs repository and reader) MiGhtyDOCS (accesses Google Documents and caches the files to your iPhone memory to be able to view offline), AirSharing (allows sending of files, pics, docs, music, pretty much anything, over wifi from computer to phone and phone to computer (usefull app indeed!!!!)) Boss Prefs (allows me to make certain changes to what the phone does interms of connectivity etc - usefull) along with the needed Cydia and Installer apps that allow you to download the third party apps in the first place. Plus a few plugin apps aswell

(ones in bold are available through the app store)

As for "worth the bother" - it ins't really a bother. It takes less than 3 mins to jailbreak, one simple program excecuted from your Mac to the phone while plugged in via USB, and is fully reversible by doing a RESTORE in iTunes....

Last edited by Thrush; 06-10-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Thrush
Yes, but only a 2G (1st gen) iPhone (metal back) can be software-unlocked. 3G's cannot be software unlocked (yet) so you need a sim-hacker like this; http://www.any-network.com/ (I know a few people who use this particular one, and reports of using the V2 model are good)

The only feature that doesn't work when using a sim from another company, ie Orange, T-Mobile, etc, is visual voicemail (instead of how you normally call your voicemail and follow the prompts of the "woman" pressing 1, 3, 7 etc) you see a "list" of voicemail you have and can pick which you want to listen to. Is actually a very good idea, but I get about 1 voicemail a week, if that, so I don't miss it by having "regular" voicemail.

Everything else works - internet, email, youtube, iTunes, App Store, etc etc
www.ebay.co.uk it is then!

Thanks matey, gonna have a look, see what i can see.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:32 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Thanks for that, cleared it up nicely!

Will probably leave as is, until i get the hang of it, then look into fannying about with it. Is reassuring that it can be 'reset' though.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Stock iPhone;

Mine;

Much nicer me thinks

Last edited by Thrush; 06-10-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:44 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

So if I want it to look like a girl's mobile, I jailbreak it then, yeah?
Old 06-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

I thought the 3G iPhone had been cracked?

Not looked into it much as I have a 2G
Old 06-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
So if I want it to look like a girl's mobile, I jailbreak it then, yeah?
Feck off! I like the Leopard Aurora wallpaper!

Was just illustrating a point!

Originally Posted by Stu.H
I thought the 3G iPhone had been cracked?

Not looked into it much as I have a 2G
For jailbraking yes, but not network unlocking. Network unlocks on the 3G only currently possible using a hardware-hack, which is a sim-adapter
Old 06-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Turbo Pez

Originally Posted by Thrush
Which iPhone?

The 3G ones can't be unlocked - unlocked in the definition that any sim card can be used - it will only work on o2 and not on T-Mobile, Orange etc etc. You can use a sim-hacker to fool the phone, these cost about Ł30, seem to work by recent reviews, but you have to put the phone into flight mode before connection with iTunes on your computer.

Lots of people use the term unlocking instead of the correct term "jailbreaking". Jailbreaking means to unlock the phone's SOFTWARE to use third party apps not available from the App store, and to modify the phones operating system.

However, back to topic. As said, I need to know which phone - the 1st Gen 2G phone or 2nd Gen 3G phone (distinguisable by the back cover - silver aluminium is 2G, black plastic is 3G)

If it is a 2G these can be unlocked and jailbroken. Mine is a 2G unlocked, running on t-mobile sim and jailbroken with third party apps installed. A 3G can only be jailbroken, not unlocked!

All iPhones, be they locked or not, will work with o2 contract and PAYG sims. However, if the sim is not 3G enabled, then you won't pick up any mobile internet over the cellular network. o2 enable some sims to be 3G compatible and some not to be. Also you will need a data bolt on to access the web.

As for updates, rubbish. 2G iphones that are unlocked and jailbroken like mine, aswell as 3G handsets that are jailbroken have all been ungradeable for firmware updates - mine is on 2.1 which is current. You just need to wait for the Dev Team to release the hack in order to upgrade, as upgrading firmware on a jailbroken phone, despite being locked or unlocked, will un-jailbreak it again, back to standard Apple firmware. It then needs to be jailbroken again onto the new firmware, hence needing the Dev Team's hack for it.

To recap - by the sounds of your post, it has been jailbroken onto the latest firmware (possibly previous 2.0/2.0.1/2.0.2 firmware, most likely current 2.1) and the guy who sold it don't know shit - hence saying it's "unlocked" and "can't upgrade the firmware"

But yes, an o2 PAYG sim will work, make sure it is 3G enabled and has a data bolt on though

You know your stuff, its a 2g (silver back) one, its was brought unlocked of ebay, seller said must not update, but its got a 02 sim in, so im guessing it wouldn't matter much if i update it then?
Old 06-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Matt - how do i do a screen dump/print thingy like you just have? you'll laugh at mine!
Old 06-10-2008, 08:07 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

press the power on/off button briefly together with the 'home' button. The screen will flash and the pic saved to your camera roll
Old 06-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

then what? lol
Old 06-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Ive sussed it!

here is mine!

Old 06-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by Turbo Pez
You know your stuff, its a 2g (silver back) one, its was brought unlocked of ebay, seller said must not update, but its got a 02 sim in, so im guessing it wouldn't matter much if i update it then?
What firmware is it on? There is already a jailbreak and unlock hack for the 2G for firmware 2.1 so upgrading to this isn't a problem - 2.2 should be out soon, and the jailbreak/unlock should hopefully be out shortly after...

Originally Posted by maria
Ive sussed it!

here is mine!

LOL, I had LOLcats app a while ago!
Old 06-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Soooooooooooooooo funny!

that chalky thing is poop though!