General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Ayrton Senna vs Michael Schumacher

Search this Thread

Old 26-08-2008, 07:08 AM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ayrton Senna vs Michael Schumacher

Interesting video here comparing Schumi and Senna on a lap of Suzuka.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrpYIq0NbFM

Senna's car just look so much more of handful to drive and the speed Senna changes gear is incredible, you barely see his hand move from the steering wheel for the manual gear change.
Old 26-08-2008, 07:19 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

can't see the vid but i will say this

for his time, senna was the dogs, and, for his time, schumaker was the dogs

technology changed so much it's silly to compare the 2 as if we were going to do a motorsport version of rocky 6
Old 26-08-2008, 07:32 AM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Originally Posted by dojj
can't see the vid but i will say this

for his time, senna was the dogs, and, for his time, schumaker was the dogs

technology changed so much it's silly to compare the 2 as if we were going to do a motorsport version of rocky 6
Don't be silly that's like saying you can not compare Pele to Ronaldo because during that time boots have got better, the direct comparison's are viable simple because they are in the same discipline and clearly shows what demands were place on the competitor at that time and allows you to ask the question, how would they have performed in each others environments.

Anyway you can not compare the two drivers directly simply because, Schumi never had a team mate of the quality of Prost to compete against and as such major questions remain unanswered.

You should watch the vid though, its really interesting with regards to how the ride quality of the cars have changed.

Last edited by Turbocabbie; 26-08-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 26-08-2008, 07:59 AM
dojj

Originally Posted by Turbocabbie
Don't be silly that's like saying you can not compare Pele to Ronaldo because during that time boots have got better, the direct comparison's are viable simple because they are in the same discipline and clearly shows what demands were place on the competitor at that time and allows you to ask the question, how would they have performed in each others environments.

Anyway you can not compare the two drivers directly simply because, Schumi never had a team mate of the quality of Prost to compete against and as such major questions remain unanswered.

You should watch the vid though, its really interesting with regards to how the ride quality of the cars have changed.
you can't compare pele to ronaldo because of the advancements in training, tactics, nutrition, all sorts of thngs that wern't about 40 years ago

it's like these people who are comparing sterling moss to the guys from today
how do you know that sterling would have been able to compete at the levels they compate at today with the higher g forces?
that the team will work with them as well?
their own technical abilities will be enought o provide the team with the data they need?
etc, etc?

in the same way that you can't get a power figure from one set of rollers and compare it to another cars from a different set on a different day, unles you have a direct comparison you can't compare like for like

what you can compare is how fast they were going through the corners, how technology has improved the gear shifts and traction, terminal speeds, top speeds, lap times, g forces and every other variable, but you can't put senna in the same car as shumacker or vice versa to see how they would have compared and more than you could have a favorite pair of shoes when you were at school and try and find the same pair later on in life

that's what i'm saying
Old 26-08-2008, 09:06 AM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Originally Posted by dojj
what you can compare is how fast they were going through the corners, how technology has improved the gear shifts and traction, terminal speeds, top speeds, lap times, g forces and every other variable, but you can't put senna in the same car as shumacker or vice versa to see how they would have compared and more than you could have a favorite pair of shoes when you were at school and try and find the same pair later on in life

that's what i'm saying
That's what the video you can't see clearly shows

BTW you could not put any decent driver in the same car as Schumi, let alone Senna it was not allowed
Old 26-08-2008, 09:20 AM
Nash_mr2
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats Aryton Senna's favourite food?

Wall Bangers!
Old 26-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Chris69
Advanced PassionFord User

its suprising how much the ride of the cars has changed, sennas car moves about so much more and the challenge with that manual box looks alot greater- gotta say senn drving looks alot more skilful if maybe not as polished
but to both

Originally Posted by Nash_mr2
Wall Bangers!
dick
Old 26-08-2008, 10:39 AM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Both brilliant drivers but the amount of times senna put a dog of a car on pole or won the race was amazing,so imo senna shades it.

Originally Posted by Nash_mr2

Wall Bangers!
Again....................COCK.
Old 26-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

I just thought it was interesting to see how the ride of the cars have changed to much, it certainly looks a lot more physical and unforgiving in Senna's car.
Considering one car had better mechanical grip over the other with its big fat slicks, while the other had better aerodynamic grip I found the lines used did not appear to have changed as much as perhaps I thought they would have

Last edited by Turbocabbie; 26-08-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 26-08-2008, 11:09 AM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Both very talented. I feel it came easier to schuey. Senna's career although he was very dominant, seemed to ''need'' to put more effort in to succeed.
Old 26-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Originally Posted by xr2i-carl
Both very talented. I feel it came easier to schuey. Senna's career although he was very dominant, seemed to ''need'' to put more effort in to succeed.
It would appear so but in reality Schumi never faced a formidable world champion team mate such as Alan Prost as such this question regarding him remains unanswered
Old 26-08-2008, 11:21 AM
dojj

Originally Posted by xr2i-carl
i think it had soemthing to do with the more agricultural requierments demanded by the machinery of the day

if you were to dispose of the paddles in f1 and get everyone changing gears manually it wouldn't half slow them down

bernie, if you are listening, try it out in a few weeks tiem
Old 26-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Schumachers car does look a lot smooter than Senna's but i'd expect that really seeing as there's 10 years developement between the 2, both awsome drivers, only real way to compare the 2 would be in the same car surely?

Are both vids in real time though or is the Schumacher's footage slowed down a bit? They both enter corners at the exact same time, i would have thought Schumacher's lap would have been faster, could be wrong though?
Old 26-08-2008, 09:45 PM
RSCossieGaz
10K+ Poster!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

tittle of this clip says it all !!!!

senna is a legend! the yellow helmet,red and white livery is proberly the most iconic colour scheme ever in F1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNCr8...eature=related
Old 26-08-2008, 09:49 PM
RSCossieGaz
10K+ Poster!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

another great clip senna at his best on the streets he ruled

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUkv6...eature=related
Old 26-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

LMAO @ trying to make comparisons.

Both great drivers, as is hamilton going to be, you'll never be able to get a meaningfull answer to who was best though due to the changes in the cars.
Old 27-08-2008, 03:11 PM
orion_crazy_carl
orion=mini saff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if chewbacker is such a great driver,why did he need to cheat,TWICE to win the world championship?senna did aswell i think dint he,with prost??
Old 27-08-2008, 03:24 PM
kitchy
RS2000 4x4

Originally Posted by orion_crazy_carl
if chewbacker is such a great driver,why did he need to cheat,TWICE to win the world championship?senna did aswell i think dint he,with prost??
fuck it id cheat 20 times to take a championship, you have to do what it takes to win
Old 27-08-2008, 03:25 PM
orion_crazy_carl
orion=mini saff

so u think tht all drug takers in sport should be allowed to do it with people who dont??
Old 27-08-2008, 03:26 PM
kitchy
RS2000 4x4

so u think tht all drug takers in sport should be allowed to do it with people who dont??
nah not with drugs mate, but if i had to nudge sum 1 out of my way to win a race id do it
Old 27-08-2008, 03:30 PM
orion_crazy_carl
orion=mini saff

yeah but its like running past someone and punching thm as u go,lol,
Old 27-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

Schumacher just copied what Senna had done before.

I always thought MS was better than Senna. Sennas driving style was too binary (just watch the way he jabs the throttle a lot) and he used to live off his (amazing) reflexes.

Michaels style was much more fluid and about minimising his steering input. (he actually turns the car slightly on the brakes so he applies less lock and can nail it earler)

I also gather MS was better at building the team around him and making them WANT to help him. He knew all the guys names and wives and so on. Thats why Ferrari (And Benetton before) were happy to make him Number 1 driver and to hell with the teammates title aspirations.