General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

what does it mean when a car "BOGS DOWN"

Search this Thread

Old 24-08-2008, 02:47 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what does it mean when a car "BOGS DOWN"

as above,

is that when wheel spin kills the power (turbo charged cars) on front wheel drive cars?

i get that alot on the focus st when changing too aggresively from 1st to 2nd, wheel spin then the power just gets killed!

i've heared the term bogging down quite alot now but not too sure if its what im experiencing?

Last edited by cheeky dog; 24-08-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 24-08-2008, 02:51 PM
sbd16v
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the car have more grip than power basically so the engine revs die to much causing a bad start
Old 24-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

Originally Posted by cheeky dog
as above,

is that when wheel spin kills the power (turbo charged cars) on front wheel drive cars?

i get that alot on the focus st when changing too aggresively from 1st to 2nd, wheel spin then the power just gets killed!

i've heared that term quite alot now but not too sure what it is?
Is that not traction control on the ST. Bogging down is when you're not using enough revs and the grip causes the revs to drop on the start line.
Old 24-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sbd16v
the car have more grip than power basically so the engine revs die to much causing a bad start
basically not enough gas when launching meaning you have to dip the clutch and tap the throttle to get back the power,,,, but lost the launch anyway
Old 24-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

The term 'bogs down' can be applied to lots of situations and just means a slow down.
In your case when changing from 1st to 2nd your road speed isn't high enough when you go for 2nd, so bounce it off the limiter a bit longer and keep your foot flat on the throttle when changing, that way you will maintain your wheelspin and look cool.
Old 24-08-2008, 03:15 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeeroy
The term 'bogs down' can be applied to lots of situations and just means a slow down.
In your case when changing from 1st to 2nd your road speed isn't high enough when you go for 2nd, so bounce it off the limiter a bit longer and keep your foot flat on the throttle when changing, that way you will maintain your wheelspin and look a fool.

Old 24-08-2008, 03:17 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Rab
Is that not traction control on the ST. Bogging down is when you're not using enough revs and the grip causes the revs to drop on the start line.
pretty sure its not the tc coz the revs are still up there but turbo's not kicking on full chat and neds time to get back up.

was driving my friends evo 5 and got the same problem while i was on the gas at about 50mph, hit a massive pot hole and killed the power, boost dropped of completely for a few secs.
Old 24-08-2008, 03:20 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Leeeroy
In your case when changing from 1st to 2nd your road speed isn't high enough when you go for 2nd, so bounce it off the limiter a bit longer and keep your foot flat on the throttle when changing, that way you will maintain your wheelspin and look cool.

the wheels are quite big so to keep the wheel spin going takes a bit more heart and heavy foot, my old rs turbo had 16" wheels and same scenario was easier to keep the power on but maintian long wheels spin.
Old 24-08-2008, 03:26 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by sbd16v

thanx for the info dude, never knew there was a word for the scenario. lol