General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

panic over Darling has it sussed we can all sleep at night now

Search this Thread

Old 21-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Captain Mike
I am so glad l am out of all this ......

Never been in it and dont plan on it

Fortunately my income is very much protected against this type of thing,

Mike
bank robber are we,,, less lending and theres more cash in the banks,,, more lending then you robs the vans instead

Old 21-06-2008, 09:35 PM
FastFordChris
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginge !
bank robber are we,,, less lending and theres more cash in the banks,,, more lending then you robs the vans instead

ginge you know waaaaaay to much about the bank robbing business lol
Old 21-06-2008, 10:13 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Not quite Ginge, but my job is very much in a surreal enviroment and is alot less effected by this type of thing,

Mike
Old 22-06-2008, 12:50 AM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by saffsta
Should never have been voted in in the first place!
Can you actually remember what it was like 11 years ago under the Tories ?

I strongly suspect, you like nearly everyone on this forum was too busy watching Grange Hill on the telly and wondering if their latest girlfriend was going to let them get a smelly finger or not.

Interest rates were over 10%, people were in negative Equity, there was nearly 3 million unemployed, the sleaze within the government was rife... the country was in a state hence the massive Labour Landslide when they came to power.

There is a 'quick fix' to the countries problems at the moment and thats to reduce the taxation on fuel significantly, its a cash cow thats been milked to death and its time to ease off.

The high fuel costs have a knock on effect to food, so the two things we buy regularly, Petrol and Food seem expensive.

To raise the 'lost' revenue from fuel duty implement higher taxation on the huge profits of the oil companies in this country.

Hit Foreign lorry drivers coming into this country with a 'UK Toll'

Charge all those gimps with weedy little cars more than £35 a year road tax, if they were paying £75 a year they'd still be chuffed.

People have had it so good for so long under labour with super low inflation, very low interest rates.

You are all quick to slag them off but you've all had the benefits for the last 10 years.

Just ask your parents what it was like paying a mortgage when interest rates were running at 15%
Old 22-06-2008, 12:56 AM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

As for energy, you've only got the Tories to blame for that as well.

Thatcher destroyed the coal industry in this country, so now we are reliant on Gas we used to sell to Europe but now have to buy back from them.

Back in the day we had coal fired power stations and we were self sufficient, now we can be held to ransom by Johnny Foreigner in EuroLand.

You should know the Tories arent going to save us because they are already saying and have been for a while now that they wont make it better they will just stop it getting worse.

In other words, we have no idea or policies that will get the country out of this mess, we will try and tread water until the global economy picks up and then claim they've done it OR when it doesnt pick up and goes shit shaped they will claim that its all Labours fault and they tried their best.
Old 22-06-2008, 10:22 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by neilm
Can you actually remember what it was like 11 years ago under the Tories ?

I strongly suspect, you like nearly everyone on this forum was too busy watching Grange Hill on the telly and wondering if their latest girlfriend was going to let them get a smelly finger or not.

Interest rates were over 10%, people were in negative Equity, there was nearly 3 million unemployed, the sleaze within the government was rife... the country was in a state hence the massive Labour Landslide when they came to power.

There is a 'quick fix' to the countries problems at the moment and thats to reduce the taxation on fuel significantly, its a cash cow thats been milked to death and its time to ease off.

The high fuel costs have a knock on effect to food, so the two things we buy regularly, Petrol and Food seem expensive.

To raise the 'lost' revenue from fuel duty implement higher taxation on the huge profits of the oil companies in this country.

Hit Foreign lorry drivers coming into this country with a 'UK Toll'

Charge all those gimps with weedy little cars more than £35 a year road tax, if they were paying £75 a year they'd still be chuffed.

People have had it so good for so long under labour with super low inflation, very low interest rates.

You are all quick to slag them off but you've all had the benefits for the last 10 years.

Just ask your parents what it was like paying a mortgage when interest rates were running at 15%
that lasted for about 3 days and was 20 years ago
and we wern't paying as much tax
and house prices were a 1/3rd of what they are today
Old 22-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

yes doji you are right,,,,, people moan about " back in the day " and how hard it was,,,, my old man bought a flat thats now worth 375k for 10k back in 89,,,,,,, he used to moan about hes morgage rates ect,, the MOST hes ever paied on he morgage at the 15% time was 53 quid a month !!!

most people now have a average morgage of a grand a month !!!,, somewhat higher than before

i was looking to buy house in 2000 in durham,,,,,, new build and the price was 43 grand,,,, now its selling for 90k so no matter what the interest is like due to the house prices going SOOO high and banks offering 30 year morgages at 110% based on a 5 year sallary is the issue here

if they never increased there loan terms the price of property would never have got so high as they are now

back in 96 my old boss sold hes house for 365k for a 5 bedroom georgian house on the same street as tony blair used to live before he was in downing street,,,,,, thats now worth 2 million !!!

look at that sort of stuff that labour has been incharge of, tories introduced " right to buy" but the labour government with there free money loans push is what maded them go so high,,,,, and not investing in replacement propertys for the ones sold caused higher prices in the areas,,,,, so the government then makes a MAX discount rule of 30k off the price to help when theres no decent places left

estate agents over pricing stuff for more % and the banks are the issue here,,,, the govenment also are due to the stamo dutys we have to pay in london too !!!
Old 22-06-2008, 11:10 AM
p.cressie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If the fucking tories hadn't sold every thing off (oil gas etc etc) Then Labour wouldn't be reliant on tax to pay for everything. How much profit is BP makin these days! And as for the housing crash what did they expect when they priced the first time buyers out of the market. Fucking grabbing estate agents
Old 22-06-2008, 11:30 AM
dojj

so labour didn't sell of all our gold reserves when the prices were lowest then eh?
Old 22-06-2008, 11:34 AM
dojj

also, when house prices were low back at the start of the 70/80's even my old man bought our house for £12k and paid around £65 a month in mortgage payments
when he bought the house he was probably earning £100 a month
scroll forward 15 years later when the mortgage was finished and he was still pying his £65 a month, but was earning £300 a week

now, 15 years later, i've got a mortgage on a house that i bought to £280k that i pay a mortage of £1400 a month on and earn £2k a month
do you think, that in 15 years time i'll be earning 12 times the salary?

don't think so

from when i started my job and till when i've got to the position i'm in now, i earn roughly double in 8 years, if i was still on the old position i'd have been around £5k a year better off after 8 years, not a lot when you think about it is it
Old 22-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Rolls
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by pcressie
If the fucking tories hadn't sold every thing off (oil gas etc etc) Then Labour wouldn't be reliant on tax to pay for everything. How much profit is BP makin these days! And as for the housing crash what did they expect when they priced the first time buyers out of the market. Fucking grabbing estate agents
Have you got ANY idea how much tax the likes of BP and Shell have paid on their north sea fields in the last 25 years?
If the oil companies weren't making a profit, we'd be in the shit to a worse extent!
Old 22-06-2008, 12:40 PM
p.cressie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rolls
Have you got ANY idea how much tax the likes of BP and Shell have paid on their north sea fields in the last 25 years?
If the oil companies weren't making a profit, we'd be in the shit to a worse extent!
And don't the scots like to remind us. I agree with what you say but surely it would of been better to hang on to these
Old 22-06-2008, 01:20 PM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by dojj
that lasted for about 3 days and was 20 years ago
and we wern't paying as much tax
and house prices were a 1/3rd of what they are today
What ?

You think it went from 3% to 15% for 3 days and then dropped right back down again ?

It was consistently high, well over 10%, which is twice what it is now and has been for the last 10 years.

Traditionally, before this long period of stability there was a culture of boom and bust.

High inflation, so salaries rose quickly as they are nearly always tied to inflation, then a big dip when things got hard, people lost their houses, job losses, mass unemployment etc etc then things on the up again, like the 'loadsamoney' time in the late 80's.

People talking about their dad buying a house for the cost of a Ford Focus, need to stop focusing on the cost of the house as a monetary value and look at the cost of his mortgage as a percentage of his salary, that will give a much more realistic representation.

As for house prices now, they are going to take a tumble, people just need to accept the fact that for a period of time, their house may be worth less than they think it is worth, and some people, who've over stretched themselves are going to loose their houses but thats all down to the Tories favourite thing, the 'Free Market'

But anyone who thinks the conservatives are going to save the country are in for a rude awakening 'cos it aint gonna happen.
Old 22-06-2008, 02:50 PM
dojj

it doesn't matter what the intrest rate was or for how long it was in effect for

the basics are that you oculd have a mortgage of £65 a month 20 years ago as opposed to a mortgage rate of £1400 a month now

if intrest rates go up now the whole country is going to be well and truely bankrupt and it doesn't matter who's in charge
Old 22-06-2008, 05:26 PM
cozmeister
More boost Igor!

Originally Posted by Dan
I've seen it all along and have been voting against those useless fucks for years!
You and me both mate.
Old 22-06-2008, 05:49 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj
the basics are that you oculd have a mortgage of £65 a month 20 years ago as opposed to a mortgage rate of £1400 a month now
you do understand that £65 was worth a lot more 20 years ago than today yeah?

and of course it matters that the interest rate was so high - the interest rate has a massive effect on the value of currency, overseas trade, growth of business and so on and so forth. it's not just about you and your mortgage.