General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

panic over Darling has it sussed we can all sleep at night now

Search this Thread

Old 20-06-2008, 07:20 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Default panic over Darling has it sussed we can all sleep at night now

Darling and the Bank of England have the answer, appears they are going to solve all our financial worries and that pesky 3.5% inflation rate by upping the base rate and curbing pay rises.So don't panic everything is about to cost you more including your mortgage .What planet are these people on.
Old 20-06-2008, 07:25 AM
GTechR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never ever thought i'd say it, but the sooner the tories get in the better for me, get brown and his idiots out...
Old 20-06-2008, 07:27 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Jeremy Clarkson for pm please
Old 20-06-2008, 07:30 AM
Kiwi_Cossie
Regular Contributor

Well done the ZANU Labour party, total genius, can't wait to vote for them again!
Old 20-06-2008, 07:31 AM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

I found it amusing that the governor of the Bank of England thinks that by just saying no pay increases, people will just say ok no problem.

These people live in another cosy world, classic "them and us" and "do as I say but not as I do"

he will be saying let them eat cake next.
Old 20-06-2008, 07:35 AM
JayCC
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitsy FQ
agreed.
Old 20-06-2008, 07:41 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by a.k.a
I found it amusing that the governor of the Bank of England thinks that by just saying no pay increases, people will just say ok no problem.

These people live in another cosy world, classic "them and us" and "do as I say but not as I do"

he will be saying let them eat cake next.
Perhaps they would like to take a pay cut that would help

Trending Topics

Old 20-06-2008, 07:48 AM
timster
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Heard some politician on the radio the other day saying everyday things such as food,petrol etc. were on the rise but the things we buy from time to to time like audio equipment etc. were coming down and that was good.These people really boil my pi**
Old 20-06-2008, 07:53 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

you may not like it, but that is the mecahnism that economists say works.

what do you propose they do about it?

and what the hell would clarkson do it about?
Old 20-06-2008, 07:55 AM
alistairolsen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

lol at everyone mising the point! they have only 2 choices now, blame the lossof control of inflation on outside factors such as world oil and food prices, sit back, watch it hit 4+% and the hope it comes back again, or sharply target it. if you make borrowing expensive, and people short of money, you reduce inflation lol. Just a shame mortgage holders get hit too.

I really cant fault them whichever way they go, not a decision Id want to have to make. Its not the current deciion that worries me, its everything in the last few years that has put us here. Bottom line is, we should have had "new labour" out after the first four years, just a shame the majority of voters were too stupid to see it.
Old 20-06-2008, 07:57 AM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Perhaps they would like to take a pay cut that would help
they are probably back slapping each other in some think tank right now having just read your proposal and putting it forward as plan B to Mr Darling as the next bright idea to sort the economy and win the election.

I bet Mrs Cameron is already picking curtain colours for No 10
Old 20-06-2008, 07:58 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by foreigneRS

What I propse they do about it is find someone that can run the country,they have bankrupt the country yet again boom and bust they wasted all the money.spend spend spend and tax tax tax is all they have done now they have nothing left to spend
JC for PM was a joke
Old 20-06-2008, 08:05 AM
timster

Do you believe everything people tell you?
Old 20-06-2008, 08:08 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

apparently the government are in serious trouble with the european commission for the way they have run the country and their recent actions.This is also blaires fault he legged it quick as he knew what was about to happen
Old 20-06-2008, 08:11 AM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by alistairolsen
Bottom line is, we should have had "new labour" out after the first four years, just a shame the majority of voters were too stupid to see it.
I've seen it all along and have been voting against those useless fucks for years!
Old 20-06-2008, 08:30 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

What I propse they do about it is find someone that can run the country,they have bankrupt the country yet again boom and bust they wasted all the money.spend spend spend and tax tax tax is all they have done now they have nothing left to spend
JC for PM was a joke
that is a good point, but it is nothing particularly different to what every government has ever done as they all take a short term view of running the country. but being in this situation in the here and now, what else could they do? do we want inflation like zimbabwe?

i know clarkson for pm was a joke, but people are saying it and some idiots probably believe it. that is a joke

Originally Posted by timster
Do you believe everything people tell you?
quite the opposite mate, i am one of the biggest sceptics that you will find. i have studied economics to a very limited level and it seems to make sense, but maybe if i got into it more i may be able to disagree with it.

what's your take on it then? can you suggest an alternative?
Old 20-06-2008, 08:34 AM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

All these motherfuckers are intrested in is lining their own pockets

don't matter what cunts are in no 10 they are all the fucking same

As I always say that is why Guy Fawkes tried to blow up the houses of parlicunt, same cunts then, same cunts now, pitty he didn't suceed

Luciano
Old 20-06-2008, 08:45 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Loving all the economists on here who could curb inflation in 2 seconds but couldn't add up a bar bill
Old 20-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by charlie luciano
All these motherfuckers are intrested in is lining their own pockets

don't matter what cunts are in no 10 they are all the fucking same

As I always say that is why Guy Fawkes tried to blow up the houses of parlicunt, same cunts then, same cunts now, pitty he didn't suceed

Luciano
bob on
Old 20-06-2008, 08:51 AM
timster

that is a good point, but it is nothing particularly different to what every government has ever done as they all take a short term view of running the country. but being in this situation in the here and now, what else could they do? do we want inflation like zimbabwe?

i know clarkson for pm was a joke, but people are saying it and some idiots probably believe it. that is a joke

quite the opposite mate, i am one of the biggest sceptics that you will find. i have studied economics to a very limited level and it seems to make sense, but maybe if i got into it more i may be able to disagree with it.

what's your take on it then? can you suggest an alternative?

Agree with you on the short term thing,People in that sort of position should have experienced good and hard times in real life finanically not get 10,000 allowance for a kitchen in their second home.When gordon brown had a meeting up in scotland with the oil bosses a few weeks ago did you see him being careful with the fuel he used? and the enviroment? no he jumped straight into a sovereign jag. Excuse my spelling
Old 20-06-2008, 08:54 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by timster
Agree with you on the short term thing,People in that sort of position should have experienced good and hard times in real life finanically not get 10,000 allowance for a kitchen in their second home.When gordon brown had a meeting up in scotland with the oil bosses a few weeks ago did you see him being careful with the fuel he used? and the enviroment? no he jumped straight into a sovereign jag. Excuse my spelling
at least his jag is sort of British prior to that most government cars were foreign and they were saying buy British to us
Old 20-06-2008, 08:55 AM
Matt Evans
Black Country RSOC

Stranger thing have happened!
Old 20-06-2008, 09:10 AM
percybigun
Twistin me melon man

kerbing pay rises? the cost of everything is rocketing up (fuel, elec, gas, council tax etc etc) and they expect people to manage on what they already earn?

no way will these get voted back in!
Old 20-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Matt Evans
Black Country RSOC

Originally Posted by percybigun
no way will these get voted back in!
Its almost as though they've though " oh well, we've fucked it now, lets fill Our (the govenments) boots while we shaft everyone on the way out"
Old 20-06-2008, 09:36 AM
TrevCos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

If we didn't have family here we'd definitely be moving to Canada now. It's just beyond a joke. It's an 'If it moves tax it to the hilt, and if it doesn't move tax it to the hilt as well' attitude. There will come a point where the country will just go into a deep decline because people can't pay out any more. And the government are just sitting back and letting it happen. I just can't see anything that they're doing that is making it easier for people.

I work damn hard for what I earn and just to have it stolen off me by money grabbing swines is bloody frustrating.

On a positive note, my Mondeo passed it's first Mot with flying colours this morning, and the garage (which I'd never been to before) only charged me Ł25 to do it. Hurrah!

Last edited by TrevCos; 20-06-2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old 20-06-2008, 09:50 AM
paulb81

Unfortunatley, this countrys taxes pay for our social benefits system and the black hole that is the NHS. Both are a bit of a joke, and a paid for with any taxes which come into the coffers.

The way of curbing inflation is to raise the general cost of living without increasing pay. If people get huge 10 - 20% pay rises to match it ends up being a vicious circle which is hard to get out of. (most of the 1980's).

Tough times ahead, just have to knuckle down and get on with it, or move away. Canada would be/is my choice, as I wouldnt bring a young family up in the UK.
Old 20-06-2008, 09:53 AM
dunketh
Chief Iron Oxide Farmer.

It made me laugh watching this on the news.
The BOE really wants no-one to have significant payrises.

Easy for them to say.
How do we proceed to pay for fuel and mortgages then?

Yeah the economy needs to be prevented from going out of control and inflation needs to be kept back on everyday items but until the government address the fuel and mortgage markets they'll acheive nothing.
I always get the impression the BOE and govt are fighting each other rather than working together.

Also, can anyone explain in idiot terms how inflation is calculated?
I only ask because my living expenses go up buy a fuck of a lot more than 2-3% every year.
Do they leave out the most expensive things?

Last edited by dunketh; 20-06-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old 20-06-2008, 09:59 AM
paulb81

Its quite simply a rise in general level of prices of goods and services over time. Although the way the BAE calculate it, it only includes certain things, which they use conveniently to paint a rosy picture which they find suits them.

It uses a "basket" of goods, and they work out the price difference month by month, from this they get a % increase. Its called the Retail Price Index (RPI) I believe.

Without doubt if fuel, food, taxes etc, and not ipods, clothes etc were measured, itd be a damn sight higher than the way they see it.

Rising inflation can prompt workerd to demand higher wages, to keep up with consumer prices. Rising wages in turn can help fuel inflation.

Last edited by paulb81; 20-06-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Old 20-06-2008, 10:15 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

it's all very complex, and a few people on a forum are unlikely to be able to do a better job of it than the pro's in charge of it now. if you think about it, the people working behind the scenes in the bank of england and other civil service offices do not change every time the government changes - the chancellor just has the job of setting targets etc, but will be taking advice from economists who should know what they are doing
Old 20-06-2008, 10:17 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My industry is international an pay rise's are looking to be sorted in the next few months at my place hopefully
Old 20-06-2008, 10:45 AM
JohnnyB
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep I just got a pay rise
Old 20-06-2008, 11:09 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

my jobseekers allowance hasn't gone up although i am very happy that i live in a soceity where i get anything at all

Last edited by foreigneRS; 20-06-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Old 20-06-2008, 11:26 AM
matt p
PassionFord Post Troll

Im due a payrise, fucking should be aswell as ive just finished my first two years at college.

Wont be a massive one but should make things a little easier.
Old 20-06-2008, 12:41 PM
snedboy
BANNED
BANNED

What i find a joke is that they are all meeting in the parlaments this week to vote about giving themselves a 10k a year pay rise!!! Even some of them said we should put it to public vote not our vote as we are all going to agree to yes meaning the minimum wage for them is over 70k per year taking most to over 100k a year!!!
Old 20-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Kam B
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

im going to buy a few cosworths and move out of this dam country.
Old 20-06-2008, 01:03 PM
cozmeister
More boost Igor!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alistairolsen
lol at everyone mising the point! they have only 2 choices now, blame the lossof control of inflation on outside factors such as world oil and food prices, sit back, watch it hit 4+% and the hope it comes back again, or sharply target it. if you make borrowing expensive, and people short of money, you reduce inflation lol. Just a shame mortgage holders get hit too.

I really cant fault them whichever way they go, not a decision Id want to have to make. Its not the current deciion that worries me, its everything in the last few years that has put us here. Bottom line is, we should have had "new labour" out after the first four years, just a shame the majority of voters were too stupid to see it.
Indeed - I hope the numbskulls that voted for them are suffering the most, and they'd best not be whinging about it.
Old 20-06-2008, 01:07 PM
percybigun
Twistin me melon man

with all this credit crunch, interest rates, house prices dropping, hike in fuel/energy/food prices, and already huge taxation here, they need to seriously think about hitting us with more and more green taxes. the population just cant afford more green taxes right now, and nobody fucking wants it.

i thought this green thing was just the latest do-gooder phase and hope it would pass, like in the 80's we had political correctness, anti-racism, feminism, anti-homophobes, then 90's we got all the health and safety shite, and now this. i wish they would sod off and move onto the next issue!
Old 20-06-2008, 01:24 PM
dunketh
Chief Iron Oxide Farmer.

I do admire the poetic justice of it all.
Gordon Brown was the chancellor that started the whole 'free money' buy what you want economy.... Now he must reap what he has sewn.

Usually MPs who fuck up get to sneak away quietly - he became PM.

Agreed labour should have been disposed of years ago, but then they have the support of every skiver, criminal and underage single mother in the country - given that they're all creaming cash and benefits hand over fist.
Thats a lot of support.
Old 20-06-2008, 01:28 PM
space hoppers
Advanced PassionFord User

i havent had a pay rise in 6 YEARS so will be a walk in the park for me
Old 20-06-2008, 01:30 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

in one interview, that bank fella said "peole can't afford to keep up with the payments for their mortages etc so we can't inscrease the intrest rate"

and in another interview, on the same day he said "we can't give out big pay rises because of some reason or another which i won't explain to you"

so on one hand things are costing more and we are working harder to earn more money to pay for them
and on the other hand, we aren't going to get a pay rise because peole think it's a bad idea
and on the toher hand, the shell drivers get a 14% pay rise by striking

i wonder who's idea that was

Quick Reply: panic over Darling has it sussed we can all sleep at night now