General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Buying a car without tax, advise please...

Search this Thread

Old 23-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a car without tax, advise please...

How the fook do you get it home?

It take it that it's not ok to drive it home legally, do you get any grace these days or not?

Also if you get stopped without tax whats the fine/penalty?

Thanks.
Old 23-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Daveyboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

get stopped without tax and they'll take your car and impound it. fine and points. 2 weeks to get it out the compound after producing all docs to say car is then legal. plus you'll have to pay the pound fees as well for storing the car.
Old 23-05-2008, 01:09 PM
gar mae
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Get the current owner to tax the car. If you can't, get the car insured and take your documents along with the new keeper slip to the post office and tax it
Old 23-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Nick D
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by Dan
How the fook do you get it home?

It take it that it's not ok to drive it home legally, do you get any grace these days or not?

Also if you get stopped without tax whats the fine/penalty?

Thanks.
Trailor
Old 23-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Daveyboy
get stopped without tax and they'll take your car and impound it. fine and points. 2 weeks to get it out the compound after producing all docs to say car is then legal. plus you'll have to pay the pound fees as well for storing the car.
BULLSHIT.... i sell cars and as such i drive loads without tax and you dont get impounded or anything. As long as you had a receipt to say you just bought it and will tax it asap you will probably get off or at worst you will get a small fine.... either £60 or one month tax if they are generous.
Old 23-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Brian
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I used Trade Plates when we picked up a mates car with no Tax

Brian
Old 23-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Unfortunately don't have a roadworthy trailer to hand at the moment

Can insure the car peice of piss which i'll do before I go anyway and can obviously get other docs too...

Trending Topics

Old 23-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Daveyboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Ollie6RS2
BULLSHIT.... i sell cars and as such i drive loads without tax and you dont get impounded or anything. As long as you had a receipt to say you just bought it and will tax it asap you will probably get off or at worst you will get a small fine.... either £60 or one month tax if they are generous.
you mean you disagree? calm down fella, its just the internet

you mean to say that as you've never had a car impounded for no tax that it cant be possible? ever see the adverts where they crush your car for having no tax?... is that all bullshit? I know someone who has had there car towed for no tax, but im probably bullshitting myself. i'll take myself outside and have a word
Old 23-05-2008, 01:19 PM
madmack99
I Love BooST

i used trade plates never done it so dont know
Old 23-05-2008, 01:20 PM
madmack99
I Love BooST

you mean you disagree? calm down fella, its just the internet

you mean to say that as you've never had a car impounded for no tax that it cant be possible? ever see the adverts where they crush your car for having no tax?... is that all bullshit? I know someone who has had there car towed for no tax, but im probably bullshitting myself. i'll take myself outside and have a word
Old 23-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Paddy
Legend

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're driving it home with a receipt to say you've just bought it and you're not a cocky gob shite to the pleaseman if you get pulled over, the worst you should get would be a 7 day producer.

Any tax you got within the next few days would back date you for the whole of May anyway.

I've got Trade Plates but I never use them [except for test drives] as I seem to get pulled over more with them on. I have NEVER had a car impounded and have only had to produce once when I was about 18 [12 years ago... jeez I'm old ] and tooling about in a calibra 4x4 thing.

They are perfectly within their rights to tow and impound your vehicle as said above, but that privilege is normally saved for pikey tosspots that leave them parked on the street for months, and rightly so.

Last edited by Paddy; 23-05-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old 23-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Spammage
Regular Contributor

IMO i would'nt risk it as above i agree that there less likey to tow it straight away if your polite but its not worth it. just get the tax sorted doesn't take long!!!!
Old 23-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Luca
Lukesville

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just buy a taxed evo 6 mate - job done
Old 23-05-2008, 02:57 PM
gar mae
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by Dan
Unfortunately don't have a roadworthy trailer to hand at the moment

Can insure the car peice of piss which i'll do before I go anyway and can obviously get other docs too...
As I said, saves you any hassle with the old bill. The new keeper docs are good enough to tax the car

Job done
Old 23-05-2008, 03:27 PM
rs gez
Part of the Furniture

its only vosa /dvla who will impound your car not the police ass long as you have a full receipt and insurance it will be ok
Old 23-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Daveyboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

From government website -
If you don’t tax or SORN your vehicle

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) carries out a computer check each month, as well as roadside checks to identify those vehicles without a valid tax disc. You could face an automatic penalty of £80 as well as a minimum fine of £1000. Your vehicle could be clamped, impounded or even crushed.
Old 23-05-2008, 03:33 PM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

From government website -
If you don’t tax or SORN your vehicle

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) carries out a computer check each month, as well as roadside checks to identify those vehicles without a valid tax disc. You could face an automatic penalty of £80 as well as a minimum fine of £1000. Your vehicle could be clamped, impounded or even crushed.
Davey boy listen to me and paddy. We are both in the car trade and have 1st hand experience of this. You will only get crushed, towed etc if its lying abandoned for ages. I'm just back from driving two cars in the last hour with no tax...
Old 23-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Daveyboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ollie6rs2 - i have experience of this as well - do you think i'd argue a case if i didnt? maybe you will get away with it if caught - but the FACT is that the above can be upheld if caught should they want to. And if you read what Paddy wrote he also says that they do have the power to seize, impound and crush should they want to.

Now please dont talk to me in such a condescending manner just because we have different opinions on the matter.
Old 23-05-2008, 03:46 PM
B19LRW
Its Broken.....

you DONT get points for no tax. if you are just driving home, and have a ll the ness docs with you, you should be fine!
Old 23-05-2008, 03:47 PM
Daveyboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by seriesoneboy
you DONT get points for no tax. if you are just driving home, and have a ll the ness docs with you, you should be fine!
fairplay on that one - my mistake
Old 23-05-2008, 03:48 PM
TrevCos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Hire someone off E-BAY to do it. Make sure it looks well established, in fact you could email some of the people who have put up feedback about a company, and try and find someone either local to you or the seller to cut down the mileage, as they charge per mile. I've done this loads of times now with no problems. Eveyone I've used has been very professional and done exactly what they said they would, and not damaged the vehicles in any way. Okay it's not as cheap as chancing driving it, and I would have done that in the past, but I wouldn't do it now.
Old 23-05-2008, 03:55 PM
gaz4x4cos
Regular Contributor

i can speak from experience on this matter , I actually got pulled by an unmarked vectra on way driving my cossie home when i bought it on a saturday last august (30 minutes after buying it) , i was polite showed the copper my timed & dated reciept from the garage i bought it from , had mot but no tax and i had only insured the vehicle 1 hour previous and it werent showing in the officers car but had insurance quote and a name and policy number who i'd done the insurance with on the phone , also was being followed by my dad who stopped and confirmed my story , he let me on my way (no producer or anything) and told me to tax as soon as i could and to try not to use the car over the weekend because i may get pulled again , may have been lucky but as said in another post , be polite and have all the relevent docs to prove you just bought it and you should be ok . this was in leyland near preston .