General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Why is diesel so much dearer than petrol ??

Search this Thread

Old 22-05-2008, 03:21 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by COMEDY DAN
I waa waiting for that, great question. 1.60 for a litre of Evian. 1.25 for a litre of superplus?
in those terms, fuel is actually cheap so let's stop moaning about it
Old 22-05-2008, 03:35 PM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You wanna stop buying Evian in Shell garages.
Old 22-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I waa waiting for that, great question. 1.60 for a litre of Evian. 1.25 for a litre of superplus?

Fucked up......................

This country is wankered.........
good job evian doesn't carry fuel duty then .....yet
Old 22-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

you could opt for filling an evien bottle with tap water, the price of fuel you have no option but to pay gordon cunt brown
Old 22-05-2008, 03:47 PM
Mr Orange
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

You sir are getting raped!!!

74p for a 1.5 litre bottle of volvic from my local supermarket

also for the petrol/diesel thing. the government wanted us to buy diesel cars in the 90s as it was better for the environment or some shite like that. Then realised that as diesels do more mpg the cars will need filling up less so wont put as much cash into the coffers, to solve that they made the cost of diesel higher to make up the difference.
Old 22-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Mr Orange

also for the petrol/diesel thing. the government wanted us to buy diesel cars in the 90s as it was better for the environment or some shite like that. Then realised that as diesels do more mpg the cars will need filling up less so wont put as much cash into the coffers, to solve that they made the cost of diesel higher to make up the difference.

Sorry but that is wrong. As fare as im aware tax on petrol is same as diesel, and other than that govt does not control prices.
Old 22-05-2008, 06:00 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

How does the government control the cost of diesel vs petrol?

They tax both :s

I love the way EVERYONE says this country is shit and its the goverment... have you considered its the oil companies?

Alex
Old 22-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

duty on diesel is higher than on normal unleaded then there is 17.5%vat on top of the higher duty
Old 22-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

2007 Fuel Tax Figures
2007 fuel duty (as of 1 October 2007) in the United Kingdom is:
50.35 pence per litre for ultra-low sulphur unleaded petrol/diesel
53.65 pence per litre for conventional unleaded petrol
56.94 pence per litre for conventional diesel
30.35 pence per litre for bio-diesel and bio ethanol - low tax to encourage consumer conversion
16.49 pence per kg for gas other than natural gas (LPG)
13.70 pence per kg for natural gas used as road fuel.
9.69 pence per litre for rebated gas oil (red diesel)
9.29 pence per litre for rebated fuel oil

Would be nice to know why they vary!?
Old 22-05-2008, 06:29 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Didnt know that - good find!
Old 22-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Obviously they go up Alex as the price of oil goes up as its on percentage basis so having high tax burden amplifies the fact So with oil going up the treasury does have a windfall in funds.

Though the govt are not at fault for the sudden rapid increase in oil i suppose they could help by altering the tax ratio to keep it the same level of funds they are receving etc. Hard one, all i want to know i would be happy at Ł1 a ltr and i cannot belive i am saying that
Old 22-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Pob
Advanced PassionFord User

I think mr brown squirts his man-juice into the mix. thinking it'll help co2 emissiosn. ;P
Old 22-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rhys
2007 Fuel Tax Figures
2007 fuel duty (as of 1 October 2007) in the United Kingdom is:
50.35 pence per litre for ultra-low sulphur unleaded petrol/diesel
53.65 pence per litre for conventional unleaded petrol
56.94 pence per litre for conventional diesel
30.35 pence per litre for bio-diesel and bio ethanol - low tax to encourage consumer conversion
16.49 pence per kg for gas other than natural gas (LPG)
13.70 pence per kg for natural gas used as road fuel.
9.69 pence per litre for rebated gas oil (red diesel)
9.29 pence per litre for rebated fuel oil

Would be nice to know why they vary
!?
they vary because gordon brown is a greedy cooont the highest tax is levied on the highest selling types, if the whole country switched to bio diesel you would soon find that the duty on bio would shoot up
Old 22-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Ade
Fast Ford snapper

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexF
Modern diesels are much cleaner than modern petrols.
PMSL, that's a joke!

I'm sick to death of breathing in the soot from every cunt in a TDi that thinks he's got a fast car.
Everyday there's more and more of them flooring it everywhere chucking out shite all over my car and up my nose....
Old 22-05-2008, 08:36 PM
TrevCos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhys
Obviously they go up Alex as the price of oil goes up as its on percentage basis so having high tax burden amplifies the fact So with oil going up the treasury does have a windfall in funds.

Though the govt are not at fault for the sudden rapid increase in oil i suppose they could help by altering the tax ratio to keep it the same level of funds they are receving etc. Hard one, all i want to know i would be happy at Ł1 a ltr and i cannot belive i am saying that
That's the thing, the government doesn't care that it's going up because their revenue from it is percentage based, so the more it goes up the more they get. If they wanted to cap prices I bet they could get involved, and they could certainly take less of a percentage in tax so the petrol stations wouldn't have to keep putting it up to earn and revenue from it. I know someone who works in a Co-op petrol station with a shop that has said for a long time the place only makes money out of the shop, the petrol station struggles to break even.
Either take some of the tax off it or scrap the road tax, you want it all ways Gordie! Oh and actually give us a pay rise that matches inflation!!!!!!
No wonder people are struggling.
Anyway, I guess he'll be out at the next election, or before probably, get someone in that actually gives a toss about working people!
Old 22-05-2008, 08:39 PM
haighlsby
PassionFord Regular

You get more miles from using diesel, so to stop people saving money the gov have raised the price to even it out.

Diesel used to be cheaper.
Old 22-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Rob84
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by rapidcossie
Diesel is actually the crap they take off the top of oil during the refinary process, so its a by product that is now making the oil companies more money that the petrol they are left after they have spend thousands refining the oil
is it balls. Diesel is FAR from a by product from refining. Theres only one by product thats almost useless and that is vacuum residue. Its only our company that can refine this and turn it into something valuble.
Old 22-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rob84
is it balls. Diesel is FAR from a by product from refining. Theres only one by product thats almost useless and that is vacuum residue. Its only our company that can refine this and turn it into something valuble.
i think what he meant was diesel is much lower down in the refraction process of crude than petrol is and is therefore less refined and cheaper to produce than petrol.
Old 22-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Rob84
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by Mitsy FQ
i think what he meant was diesel is much lower down in the refraction process of crude than petrol is and is therefore less refined and cheaper to produce than petrol.
Ok, even that is not strictly true. With emissions laws getting ever stricter, Diesel is becoming ALOT more costly to produce as the "diesel" they get on the initial "crack" is shit. it takes alot more refining and blending to make the diesel we all know and love.
Old 22-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rob84
Ok, even that is not strictly true. With emissions laws getting ever stricter, Diesel is becoming ALOT more costly to produce as the "diesel" they get on the initial "crack" is shit. it takes alot more refining and blending to make the diesel we all know and love.
I was going to say previously that diesel is no longer what it used to be with the removal of sulfur has made it far more complex a blend of chemical cocktails but this a huge cost to the oil companies whcih they charge a minuscule amount for it is the government and their greed that makes fuel expensive
Old 22-05-2008, 09:25 PM
orionmojo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rssteve
imo desiel offers better mpg so you should paymore for it. why not?
not everyone has the option or luxury of being able to paying more. have you ever seen a petrol truck? (one that runs on it, not fucking delivers it before anyone says it! ) delivery costs havent gone up, but diesel has so thats less profit. it seems to me you'll be one of the first to moan when food prices increase again "for no aparent reason" while you deem it acceptible for fuel prices to remain at ridiculous prices.

also (unrelated) there is talk now that they want to ban red diesel in all road going vehicles, I.E tractors and JCB's, rollers and dumpers etc etc. what is the reason for that oter than pure greed!

Last edited by orionmojo; 22-05-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 23-05-2008, 08:42 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Ade
PMSL, that's a joke!

I'm sick to death of breathing in the soot from every cunt in a TDi that thinks he's got a fast car.
Everyday there's more and more of them flooring it everywhere chucking out shite all over my car and up my nose....
No really its not....

Alex
Old 23-05-2008, 10:15 AM
martinrs500labatts
Advanced PassionFord User

the goverment are taxing fuel @ 65% on the pump price so the dearer it is the more the make on us

they could lower the massive tax down or only tax 65% up to a value of fuel and then no tax over this point

that way they could lower the pump price

trouble is the goverment has no money so needs to tax everyone as much as possible

which in turn is causing a down turn and then in the end they get less tax as more people stuggle so spend less and firms go under

companys have to pass on some of these costs and it is making inflation rise at a much higher rate then anyone wonts

rising cost also mean more demands for higher wages = this will mean more jobs going abroad as are labour rate is to high

less jobs and more people claiming means more demond on the gov= so more tax again.