General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anyone Owned A Vehicle Written Off By Floods?

Search this Thread

Old 22-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Rossco
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Owned A Vehicle Written Off By Floods?

Hi guys, strange question I know, but I am looking at a Transit Connect that is a Cat D because it is flood damaged, engine starts and runs. I know it will need a good valet etc but what about electrics etc. I am guessing its been in fresh water.

Good move to buy to keep or dont touch with a barge pole?

Thankyou please
Old 22-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Luca
Lukesville

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been in this situation and personally the water that contaminated my car was not clean water, but contaminated with shit piss and gods knows what esle

The water obviusly fills alls areas of the car chassis and electrics.

Personally i would leave well alone as a few of my neighbours had faults continually after there cars were damaged and repaired.

Mine was mega fucked so scrapped, never take the rocker cover off when its going to flood the water replaces the oil rather qucikly
Old 22-05-2008, 12:29 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

9/10 I wouldn't go near, I looked at a Golf last year which i was tempted with but in reality it was always going to smell like a sewage plant and as mentioned if the electrics fail then your near enough screwed.

Easier to find a accident damaged one and repair it than sort out a floodwater damaged one
Old 22-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Rossco
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cheers guys, i dont think the water has been inside as there is a cardboard box in the back and that would be fooked if the water got it and also there are documents in the glove box that are dry.

Think i will give it a miss as its to far to veiw and then go back to collect.
Old 22-05-2008, 12:32 PM
paceo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by m4dyeti
I have been in this situation and personally the water that contaminated my car was not clean water, but contaminated with shit piss and gods knows what esle

The water obviusly fills alls areas of the car chassis and electrics.

Personally i would leave well alone as a few of my neighbours had faults continually after there cars were damaged and repaired.

Mine was mega fucked so scrapped, never take the rocker cover off when its going to flood the water replaces the oil rather qucikly
how did yours happen? its was the black one?
Old 22-05-2008, 12:36 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

nope i wouldnt buy a flood damaged car...
Old 22-05-2008, 12:58 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

It's the long term effects mate, may run now, but in 6 months, bearing may start feking up, wires corrode through etc etc.

Be very carefull.

Matt

Trending Topics

Old 22-05-2008, 01:03 PM
COMEDY DAN
No1 Blower.

There was an E60 M5 floating around (excuse the pun) a bit ago, I think it went for 25k.

Anybody remember?

I am sure a lad in the north west bought it.
Old 22-05-2008, 02:05 PM
alan12112
Focus St mk2 310 bhp :D

I remember Dan - sure it was on pistonheads??
Old 22-05-2008, 02:23 PM
Luca
Lukesville

Yes it was a Black FRST, never had a day like that since, walked out my house in the morning and it was raining slightly 2 hours later walked down the stairs and shit me theres water everywhere.

Qoute of the day was from my brother, don’t worry bro il come down with my Vax that can handle sucking water up.

Old 23-05-2008, 07:42 AM
paceo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so did the drains overflow? or was it a river that burst its banks? was your whole house fucked then?
Old 23-05-2008, 07:51 AM
Luca
Lukesville

It was the drains mate the local pumping station/water works packed up so all of the storm water and sewage came back up the drains where i live.

Even had the lifeboats collecting the elderly from there homes, so whish i had a Jet ski then.....

House was not to bad due to being on the higher end of the road, my house was upto my ankles but down the road where the car was kept in a garage it was waist high. People had there front and rear doors open with water rushing striaght through there homes.

But hey it was an act of God!!!!!
Old 23-05-2008, 07:59 AM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i recently took a range rover in p/x.looked ok,hpi clear,bit grubby but no big deal,and gave lowish money for it.

when i began cleaning it there was a dry muddy residue absolutely everywhere!under the seats(where the ecu's are!),all behind the dash,behind the headlining,inside the tailgate.clearly been up to its roof in water or something.

daft thing was-everything worked perfectly.range rovers are well known for elecrtical faults......maybe they should dip them all in water before they sell them!!!

got out of it as soon as i could though.and it had a funny smell that wouldnt go away.
Old 23-05-2008, 08:13 AM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

I have had 3 damaged cars repaired by andrew gallacher a focus st3 , civic type r , skoda fabia vrs.Sold them on now but the 3 cars were spot on & much cheaper.If they are repaired properly i dont see the problem.my mates missus has also got a damaged mini d from andrew & its a good little car as well.They were smashed mind you not flooded.
Old 23-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Rossco
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by carlo
I have had 3 damaged cars repaired by andrew gallacher a focus st3 , civic type r , skoda fabia vrs.Sold them on now but the 3 cars were spot on & much cheaper.If they are repaired properly i dont see the problem.my mates missus has also got a damaged mini d from andrew & its a good little car as well.They were smashed mind you not flooded.
Yes mate nothing wrong with acident damged cars, with bodyshops charging silly money per hour is hardly suprising they get written off.

Connect is know at Ł3260 + VAT with two hours to go, someone must be braver than me.
Old 23-05-2008, 08:43 AM
maxest
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by COMEDY DAN
There was an E60 M5 floating around (excuse the pun) a bit ago, I think it went for 25k.

Anybody remember?

I am sure a lad in the north west bought it.
A silver one, my mate repaired it. Its currently for sale on pistonheads @35k iirc, reg number V10 NOB
Old 23-05-2008, 08:51 AM
Rossco
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by maxest
A silver one, my mate repaired it. Its currently for sale on pistonheads @35k iirc, reg number V10 NOB
What did he repair on it, new ECU, looms etc?

Or just a wet and dry hover and the seats left in the airing cubboard for a few weeks
Old 23-05-2008, 11:01 AM
maxest
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossco
What did he repair on it, new ECU, looms etc?

Or just a wet and dry hover and the seats left in the airing cubboard for a few weeks
No it required a few new electrical boxes Hes a very good auto electrician/mechanic,,, if your not i wouldnt bother