General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

parents not allowed to give there kids driving lessons

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 05:59 AM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default parents not allowed to give there kids driving lessons

via reports last night on the radio.the dvla are going to make it parents illegal to give there kids driving lessons ..wtf is going on with the UK

beggars belief

AJ your in the money
Old 03-05-2008, 08:38 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

why the hell cant they! i dont believe they can stop you
Old 03-05-2008, 08:47 AM
The DIVA
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think it`s a good idea tbh,i had both of mine taught by a Proffessional who is trained to do it for a living......

Why would you want your kids to pick up your bad habits,and what makes anyone think they are good enough to teach somebody to drive ?

And before anyone starts fookin flaming me,just think how bad the standard of driving in the UK is at the moment.........Is this pasrt of the problem ?.......think about it.....
Old 03-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Rs Gary
PassionFord Regular

my brothers a driving instructor so does that mean he cant teach is own kids lol
cheeRS gary
AKA shrek
Old 03-05-2008, 09:19 AM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

it's all about MONEY!!!!.............this country sucks big ass...........(ps my father was a shite teacher)
Old 03-05-2008, 09:29 AM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Does it not relate to the fact that only ADI Green or Pink licence holders can legally charge for this service ?
Old 03-05-2008, 09:34 AM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah ok some people might think their good etc when actually their bad, but it should be up to the parents what they want to do, i mean when i was learning 7 years ago i had proper lesssons each week and my dad took me out a few times a week just as extra help kinda thing as i only had one lesson a week i think.
I passed first time
Old 03-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by The Diva
Think it`s a good idea tbh,i had both of mine taught by a Proffessional who is trained to do it for a living......

Why would you want your kids to pick up your bad habits,and what makes anyone think they are good enough to teach somebody to drive ?

And before anyone starts fookin flaming me,just think how bad the standard of driving in the UK is at the moment.........Is this pasrt of the problem ?.......think about it.....

i agree too, a driving instructor has professional guidelines to keep to, a parent could teach you no end of bad habits

seems a good idea imo
Old 03-05-2008, 09:43 AM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

I can see the sense in it in that a lot of parents would have passed their tests a while ago and forgotten totally how to drive properly to pass a driving test.

However, it takes away people's opportunity to get out onto the road and get a feel of how it is out there. All that means is its going to mean MORE paid lessons in order to pass! I drove a lot with my dad prior to my actual lessons.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:47 AM
alistairolsen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

next step is to make it like countries in europe where you have to become competant with the car in an off road conpound marked out by cones before youre allowed on the public highway.

TBH any reform that makes a driving test more stringent is a good thing looking at driving in the uk currently
Old 03-05-2008, 09:48 AM
G2RSR
Bodybuilding

what a fooking joke

my dad took me driving lessons i just practised on what the driving instructor had learnt me that week and i passed first time
Old 03-05-2008, 09:54 AM
Glen1909
PassionFord Regular

I hate this country, why is choice being removed from every aspect of this society bit by bit.

I do believe that you need lessons with a qualified instructor. But at over £20 an hour I want to practice what they teach me in my own time with parents, which I did. Get the technique for 'turn in the road' from the instructor and then practice it 50 times on industrial estate on a Sunday with your old man. Its what people have been doing for generations.

Bear in mind anyway, for those saying that parents will not be as good at teaching due to bad habits etc, whilst this may be the case, in order to be a driving instructor you only need to have been driving 3 years and be over 21. Some of the instructors are naturally going to have less experience than most parents.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:59 AM
dovboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by G2RSR
what a fooking joke

my dad took me driving lessons i just practised on what the driving instructor had learnt me that week and i passed first time
same here,if you pass the test whare are the bad habits???

bad habits come after you pass.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was taught to drive by my father - had two 1hr driving lessons just to see the route they normally use and passed with a perfect result.

It just happens that the old man has always been a very serious and good driver. So - appreciate that the average standard of driving is not so good but I was happy enough to be taught by my own family. I was heel toeing after 2 weeks of driving lol as he didnt want me to be needlessly hard on the clutch.

RW

Last edited by Steven_RW; 03-05-2008 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Dan@Rapid-Ford
PassionFord Post Troll

Total shite - I've seen/followed quite a few bad driving instructors and also around my way, you see them in the supermarket carparts driving about giving you arsy looks when you have to drive around them trying to do a 3 point turn.

Not every parent wants to teach their child to drive. Some people realise that they can't do it themselves let alone teach.

When your teaching someone you become the most perfect driver about, you know how it should be done but when your in the seat its different
Old 03-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen1909
Bear in mind anyway, for those saying that parents will not be as good at teaching due to bad habits etc, whilst this may be the case, in order to be a driving instructor you only need to have been driving 3 years and be over 21. Some of the instructors are naturally going to have less experience than most parents.
Those are the requirements to allow you to supervise a learner driver.

To be an instructor, you have to qualify as an Approved Driving Instructor with the Driving Standards Agency. It is illegal to charge for tuition without this unless:
• their name is on the Register of Approved Driving Instructors
• they hold a trainee's "Licence to give instruction" issued by the Registrar

The legal requirements are contained in The Road Traffic Act 1988 and The Motor Cars (Driving Instruction) Regulations 2005.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:56 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by alistairolsen
next step is to make it like countries in europe where you have to become competant with the car in an off road conpound marked out by cones before youre allowed on the public highway.

TBH any reform that makes a driving test more stringent is a good thing looking at driving in the uk currently
like you have to on a bike with the CBT. and which is more dangerous, a car or a bike? i guess most people will say the bike, but most bike accidents caused by rider error involve nobody else. but a car is far more likely to have passengers and do more damage to whatever it hits.

as said, driving standards need to improve in this country. but this will not help with the older and current generation of middle lane drivers, twats that don't indicate or position themselves in the road correctly for junctions and roundabouts etc