General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Stainless Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 28-04-2008, 06:17 AM
testastretta999
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainless Bolts

Thinking of a suspension overhaul and would like to use stainless bolts. Would also need a couple of bolts making as they are not std bolts (camber adjusters focus)

Anyone know of a good supplier with facilities to make bolts?
Old 28-04-2008, 07:10 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i personally wouldnt use stainless for any suspension fastenings! they have a lower shear strength!
Old 28-04-2008, 08:23 AM
vroomtshh
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by GARETH T
i personally wouldnt use stainless for any suspension fastenings! they have a lower shear strength!
Nonsense. It all depends what grade of bolts you buy. There are tescos around the country held together with stainless bolts and the shear strength is high enough for that.
Old 28-04-2008, 09:27 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

tescos dont vibrate LOL
Old 28-04-2008, 09:46 AM
vroomtshh

tescos dont vibrate LOL
Actually they do, and the bolts are designed for there shear strength. Its amazing the nonsense you hear about stainless though. About how its brittle, the bolts are weak etc.
In theory, it is more brittle than mild steel, but its hardly a problem in reality. And bolts are designed for a certain strength, wether they are stainless, mild, BZP or whatever
Old 28-04-2008, 10:32 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by vroomtshh
Actually they do, and the bolts are designed for there shear strength. Its amazing the nonsense you hear about stainless though. About how its brittle, the bolts are weak etc.
In theory, it is more brittle than mild steel, but its hardly a problem in reality. And bolts are designed for a certain strength, wether they are stainless, mild, BZP or whatever
of cause it does depend on the grade of bolt used, but in general stainless steal fasters have a lower shear strength than high tensile steal items!

now picture this,, someone goes out and replaces all the fasteners on there suspension of there car and theres an accident, nicest outcome maybe the insurance doesnt pay out, worst case someone dies! was it really worth it?

and plus when designing tesco, they would of allowed for larger bolts or more of them then if they was using a normal high tensile steal item!
Old 28-04-2008, 10:59 AM
vroomtshh

but in general stainless steal fasters have a lower shear strength than high tensile steal items!

I'm not sure how clear I can make this - NO THEY DONT HAVE A LOWER SHEAR STRENGTH. If you buy the same grade of bolt (and of course you would), they have the same shear strength. I do bolt design on a daily basis, and stainless bolts on a cars suspension system will be fine, assuming you buy proper high tensile bolts, and not some B&Q chocolate numbers
Old 28-04-2008, 11:12 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

you are of cause right,, like for like grades will have the same propertys,, but you didnt make they very clear!

i try and be careful when giving replys on forums as its very easy to take advice out of context!
Old 28-04-2008, 11:15 AM
lamb chops
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i used stainless (chocolate) bolts on my spilit rims and sheared the heads of 10 of the 20 bolts on the front wheel. nice
Old 28-04-2008, 05:06 PM
testastretta999
Part of the Furniture

Default Stainless bolts

So where do I get some top notch gear from? and I will need camber bolts making.