General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Builders.. Is the construction industry worth going into?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 07:39 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Builders.. Is the construction industry worth going into?

I only have 3 years left in the RAF, and as things stand I don't think I will be staying in as, in a word, it's shit ... I am looking for a good career change, and would ideally like to do somthing where I can run my own business. Been looking at sparks/ plumbing, but it seems every man and his dog is either doing a plumbing or electrics course ... Good builders always seem to be in demand, whats the realistic earning potential and how long does it take to get to a decent standard? Any info greatly appreciated
Old 05-02-2008, 08:41 AM
tomhs123
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think that the industry i going to keep growing for a while mate and its defo a good one to get into. the amount of work largely depends on the area you are in, im near london and with the upcoming redevelopment for east london for the olypics as well as loads of other projects there is lots of work! have you looked at doing some sort of site management course as there is good money to be had there!
Old 05-02-2008, 09:10 AM
RsDarren
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Location: Dewsbury, The parts were they don't abduct their own children!

I'm an Electrican and have been for 9 years and to be honest every site i go to the biggest pay packet by far is shared between brickies and plasterers, by a LONG way!!

Also you rarely see a bricky or plasterer after 1-2pm? So they have the best of both worlds loads of money and early darts?

Then they probably go to do there own little 'on the side projects' for a bit of extra cash?

I work for one of the biggest names in the M&E business and work 45 hours a week on avaerage and take home just over Ł400 a week. I know you can work for yourself and get more or work away and earn more but that doesn't float my boat. There's more to life than work!

But it is a bit soul destroying when you are the first trade on site in the morning and the last to leave at night and get less than HALF of what the brickies or plasterers get

This is not a dig at any trade as i do have big respect to all people/trades in the building game BUT i feel that sparks/plumbers etc do have a lot more of responsibility placed on there shoulders?

E.g. Every year i have to update my Part P card (ŁŁŁ), Go on testing courses (ŁŁŁ), update courses to keep in line with the latest regulations (ŁŁŁ), Not to mention the legal responsibilities ie. if you do something wrong and hurt/kill someone you can go to jail?

Just seems that some trades don't get paid for the amount of qualifications that are needed to complete there everyday job?

As I said this is not a dig at anyone! Just my view
Old 05-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Altratz
PassionFord Regular

Will stop being a fuck up you could never be a builder or anything else that requires manual labour your just too bloody lazy
Old 05-02-2008, 11:04 AM
dovboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i'm a brickie(just back in the door cos its pissing down up here).

there is good money to be made but i feel you might be getting ahead of yourself talking about starting your own buisness before you have served any time or had any experience out of training.

what i will say is i know young brickies at 24/25 who are very good and old brickies at50+ who are ruff as fuck,in anything i would say get good at it first then the speed will come later(the faster you can do the job the more you will get paid,time is money and all that ).

weather for a brickie is a factor,i have to make very good money in the summer to cover bad days in the winter.

how long were you thinking training for a trade would take?
Old 05-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

I was a bricklayer till i went into business. I worked on site and id never unless forced go back to doing that shite. Good money yeah but hard work and shit basically especially when the weathers against you. I still ay bricks now n then but not a great deal.

IMO go for plumbing, sparkie or joiner.