General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Insurance advice - missus wrote off her car today

Search this Thread

Old 14-12-2007, 04:25 PM
lamb chops
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance advice - missus wrote off her car today

Had a phone call from the missus earlier, she was crying the phone call went like this "Ive written the car off and need to go to hospital, im near the stables" phone goes dead..

I rushed off to where she keeps her horses and find the accident, she has had a head on crash with a Royal Mail transit and the front of our Honda Civic is trashed, the air bags have deployed and thankfully she is ok but very shaken. It happened down a very tight country lane and neither vehicle could stop and there was no room to pass mud on the road etc ect.

Now the problem is she is third party fire and theft, now im guessing the blame will be a 50/50 split (even though she says the transit was really shifting and she was doing 15 MPH) As she’s third party does this mean we wont get a bean or will we get money from the other parties insurance?

The cars only worth £1500 and is written off for sure.

Cheers
Old 14-12-2007, 04:26 PM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Good luck sorting it mate, hopefuly the royal mail twat will admit its his fault!!

glad she is ok.

Carl
Old 14-12-2007, 04:28 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by xr2i-carl
Good luck sorting it mate, hopefuly the royal mail twat will admit its his fault!!

glad she is ok.

Carl
That won't happen mate. He will deny everything to the hilt to prevent getting flack from work. I know when I drove a van we were told if we had a claim on our van we would have to stump up £250 from our wages towards the excess.

Good luck sorting it mate
Old 14-12-2007, 04:31 PM
lamb chops
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks guys, not realy worried about the money or the car as long as shes ok. She also had our two dogs in the car and thankfully they were fine too.
Old 14-12-2007, 04:34 PM
maxest
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Not good phone calls like that, i had one this week, when someone ran into the back of my missis.. wouldnt mind but it had only just been repaired from when someone went into the back of it with me driving it
Old 14-12-2007, 04:44 PM
gkandr4ch
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Were the police called? Any skid marks from the Royal Mail van?

GK
Old 14-12-2007, 04:47 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Police dont give a shit if no ones hurt

Did this the other day:

Had to dive out some twats way in middle of road going way too fast, or kill him...
Copper said "well they do go a bit fast".

Depending on van may have a tacho fitted?
No independent witnesses, so doubtful any blame will be laid with anyone, is a tough shit situation like we had I reckon
Old 14-12-2007, 06:47 PM
Luca
Lukesville

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad ya wife is okay mate, although no doubt traumatised.. send her my wishes mate. Thankfully ay kids were not in the car also..

As for those dogs glad there fine too, but there bloody bomb proof those things, bet they darted out chasing tehere ball.

Fingers crossed the postie wears his heart on his sleeve and will admit fault.

Bottle of gin for tonight to steady the nerves

Old 14-12-2007, 07:15 PM
fish99
Advanced PassionFord User

bloody hell must be a week for it... i got phone call on monday from my missus, she was parked at traffic lights when a drunk woman driver hit a car behind her which in turn hit her and then my missus ploughed into the car in front. Stupid drunk woman wrote off 3 rovers and a peugeot..

As long as everyone is ok thats the main thing.
Old 14-12-2007, 08:09 PM
lamb chops
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks for the support guys, as it happens the police turned up as they were looking for a burnt out car. They just checked everyone was ok realy. We towed the car off the road with the farmers tractor as he was there so once the car was gone they cleared off.

Then all the Royal Mail bosses turned up and poked around,, not sure what was going on there but the driver didnt look to happy. I took some pics with my phone just incase they will ever be needed, there were skid marks but as it was muddy no one had a hope of stopping anyway. Just one of those things I guess.

Missus is much better now, we went down A&E for a check over just incase.

Thanks for the support Luke, ive passed on the kind words to the wife shes appreciates it

But does anyone know where we stand regarding third party insurance? as its 50/50 blame what happens can we get any money back for the car?
Old 14-12-2007, 08:30 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

If it is settled 50/50, they will pay half of your costs and vica versa, so you will recieve 50% OF THE VALUE OF YOUR CAR AND INJURIES (oops caps).

Less your excess. Plus you will have a claim against you. To be honest,you would be better off all round not claiming, if Royal mail are willing to let it drop, they take care of theirs and you sort yours.

The reason I say that is, is say your Civic is worth 1500, you get 750 notes back, less say a 250 excess, so you get 500 quid.

Now for the next 2-3 years you will pay more on insurance.

I would suggest having a chat to the boss of RM who turned up if you have his details and see what he says.
Old 14-12-2007, 08:35 PM
lamb chops
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks Matts thats what I thought would happen but everyone Ive spoken to says we wont get nothing..

Cheers