General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Boost contoller...what you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004 | 12:25 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
i don't know why someone can't use a hot wire air mass sensor and develop a kit to install on cossies and junk the marelli shit. in fact i don't know why SECS didn't design this into his S8 ecu.
I understood that hot wire was really unreliable - they get dirty and give false readings.

ANYWAY - you are worrying about WOT on low boost - how many of us will be racing, or holding flat out on low boost???

It's really not as much of a problem as you are making out I'm sure.

Boost controllers are just different - don't be scared of change, it's really ok. (not aimed at anyone in particular BTW - just having a giggle )

EDIT - anyway, surely your argument is more high / low boost than boost controllers? (or do you think a boost controller is OK?)
Old 08-10-2004 | 12:30 PM
Rene
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by St3V3_C
i don't know why someone can't use a hot wire air mass sensor and develop a kit to install on cossies and junk the marelli shit. in fact i don't know why SECS didn't design this into his S8 ecu.
I understood that hot wire was really unreliable - they get dirty and give false readings.
isnt that and the fact that scooby engine are built out of butter the fookin blow every time?
Old 08-10-2004 | 12:35 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Rene
Originally Posted by St3V3_C
isnt that and the fact that scooby engine are built out of butter the fookin blow every time?
It was the scoobs I had in mind
Old 08-10-2004 | 01:18 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

i only used hot wire as an example because they present less intake restriction than other deflection type mass flow sensors. but take your pick, imo it's still a better system than a MAP and TPS based system
Old 08-10-2004 | 01:56 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Hot wire is better than MAP...

The wire gets heated to a few thousand dgerees on engine sht down to burn off any crap.

Garaeth is right...

the reason is not to do with the boost, but the air flow of the engine verses that of the turbo. When you match the two its fine, but if you go changing the boost and relying on MAP or AFMs to sort it out there is room for errors and possible engine damage!

alex
Old 08-10-2004 | 02:01 PM
whitneyd
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

To each there own. There are plenty of MAF set ups that could work but everyone thinks there is no reason to re-invent the wheel on this because the Cos is such an old car now. It doesn't help that the Scub, EVo, and Skyline have come around. It's different technology.
Old 08-10-2004 | 02:14 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

i wouldn't say it's different technology - MAF sensors (of a sort) were being used on the original mechanical fuel injection systems like golf gti.

it's more a different philosophy.