General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Torque of the Devil RR Day - 6th Oct

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 02:51 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread was very interesting, I wish there was alot more like it.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:06 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

on a totaly seperate note, christan was totaly a different fella from what i was expecting him to be, he looked like he's just walked out of a marks and sparks catalog

but he was also well spoken and very modest about what he was expecting

nice to have met you mate and sorry for having to shoot of without saying good bye to everyone other than radders
Old 07-10-2007, 09:16 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zippyobrien
Christian and Beccy

i had the pleasure of having the rolling road forms when radders went out with dingy,

how come you only predicted 250bhp? i no alot of people got figures well below what they thought, perhaps, due to high figures in the past (although dingy loosing 150bhp is a bit painful)

not picking, just curiouse?

whilst on the subject of oyur car, the new manifold and screamer pipe set up looks awsome, wish had enough time to see it run,
Good to meet you!!

I estimated 250bhp with tongue-in-cheek. I knew what it was going to make because I had run it on our Dyno Dynamics Dyno only 4 or 5 hours earlier. I didn't really want to make a realistic estimate.

Thanks for your comments. I'm pleased with how the conversion has worked out. Still plenty of tidying up to do, but it's getting there!!

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
Euan, whatever your car did on a conservative mapbased on estimates of what it would encounter in the real world based on knowledge gained about it from a rolling road, it could almost certainly have done slightly better if tweaked in the real world.

That's the point Karl is making, getting 95% of the way there on a set of rollers isnt a problem, its that last couple of degrees that you can only dial in with any confidence by doing so "live"
Chip, be that as it may, how do you make the decision to add a further 2 degres's of timing on the road? You cannot possibly feel a difference from doing 2 full range runs back to back on slightly different streches of road with a difference of 2degrees?

We can add 2 degress then overlay the graph with the last one, seeing which points in the RPM range (if any) that the extra timing actually made any difference. We can then add of timing to the parts that it is needed and remove from those parts where it made no difference, achieving optimum effect without running unnecessary timing advance.

I am genuinely interested in how optimum timing is achieved on the road.

Originally Posted by dojj
on a totaly seperate note, christan was totaly a different fella from what i was expecting him to be, he looked like he's just walked out of a marks and sparks catalog

but he was also well spoken and very modest about what he was expecting

nice to have met you mate and sorry for having to shoot of without saying good bye to everyone other than radders
AFPMSL @ M&S Catalogue model!!

Must be a Norfolk thing, you met Mike R??

"Like he's just walked out of a Salon"

Nice to have met you too. Was a good day.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:21 AM
mk1 chris
Regular Contributor

A big thank you from the Torque of the Devil staff and myself to everyone who participated yesterday, I had a great day and it was wonderfull to see such a wide variety of cars.

some people where obviously upset at the figures they recieved on our dyno but I believe them to be as accurate as possible without removing the engine from the car and bolting it on an engine dyno, and we have a very recent certificate of calibration on the wall for all to see.

we all have our own thoughts on chassis dyno/engine dyno mapping and chassis dyno vs road mapping but in my experience people who do their mapping on the road don't have a chassis dyno, i disagree that cars mapped on the road will have the correct airflow through the intercooler and radiator etc, especially when they are modified and fitted with oversize intercoolers partially restricting air flow to water radiators and modified grilles/spotlamps etc deflecting airflow, a vehicle that participated yesterday had an oil cooler situated behind both its intercooler and water radiator, obviously a packaging issue and "better than not having one at all" but by no means ideal.

as has been mentioned before, a chassis dyno is a great tool for comparing tuning changes, who is to say if any of them read correctly or not?, they can only estimate the engine output, stick to the one you always use to see what tuning improvements work or not, thats the only way to go in my opinion.

lastly thank you to Gary and Christian from APT for attending the day, its so nice to see other tuners showing up at days like these. both of your cars are truly awesome and show the full extend of the time and effort you have put in to make them what they are, top work lads.

chris.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:24 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by Chris@torque of the devil
A big thank you from the Torque of the Devil staff and myself to everyone who participated yesterday, I had a great day and it was wonderfull to see such a wide variety of cars.

some people where obviously upset at the figures they recieved on our dyno but I believe them to be as accurate as possible without removing the engine from the car and bolting it on an engine dyno, and we have a very recent certificate of calibration on the wall for all to see.

we all have our own thoughts on chassis dyno/engine dyno mapping and chassis dyno vs road mapping but in my experience people who do their mapping on the road don't have a chassis dyno, i disagree that cars mapped on the road will have the correct airflow through the intercooler and radiator etc, especially when they are modified and fitted with oversize intercoolers partially restricting air flow to water radiators and modified grilles/spotlamps etc deflecting airflow, a vehicle that participated yesterday had an oil cooler situated behind both its intercooler and water radiator, obviously a packaging issue and "better than not having one at all" but by no means ideal.

as has been mentioned before, a chassis dyno is a great tool for comparing tuning changes, who is to say if any of them read correctly or not?, they can only estimate the engine output, stick to the one you always use to see what tuning improvements work or not, thats the only way to go in my opinion.

lastly thank you to Gary and Christian from APT for attending the day, its so nice to see other tuners showing up at days like these. both of your cars are truly awesome and show the full extend of the time and effort you have put in to make them what they are, top work lads.

chris.
Hear Hear, well said Chris.

It was great to meet the TOTD team and catch up with you again. You have a fantastic set-up. If you're even in the Norfolk area (LOL), you're always welcome to pop in. I'm pretty handle with a kettle.

Perhaps next RR day we hold in the early spring?
Old 07-10-2007, 09:26 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

I'm going to back Karl up completely here... Then again we have both worked in the same industry! For big power Cars live map is essential.

The process a manufactures uses when developing a new (or even an existing engine) is similar this one:

DYNO

The 1st engines cost Ł100k plus each! You cannot afford to loose too many of these so an environment where you have complete and utter control of the engine is essential.

There are several evolutions (or Batches as ford like to call them) until the engine is starting to so what it needs to, in terms of power, fuel econo and emissions.

ROLLING ROAD

This is where you start to test the engine to see what effect the car itself has on the engine. You are now simulating real air/coolant flow.

This basically gets you 95% of the way there but thats all. Even at Ford where there is a rolling road that can give you a real 100+mph head wind over the entire car and control the temp from +30 to -30 degrees C not to mention atmospheric pressure control!!

For example you simply cannot assess what the throttle response feels like from the drivers seat.

LIVE MAPPING

The final step - if you like the polish to make it shine. You now have the real air flow through the coolers and air flow through the engine.

Where this fits in with aftermarket:

You have to remember guys that people who map are not starting from scratch. There is still the original map (plus of course experience) to go on.

You also have to consider what they are mapping for... typically power with a hint towards economy. No one cares about emissions, other than the very very easy MOT test.

If I has my way I would use a RR and then Live Map LOL!

Alex
Old 07-10-2007, 09:31 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
do it
Old 07-10-2007, 09:34 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

mike looks like he's just stepped out of a comercial for garnier or soemthing
Old 07-10-2007, 09:44 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by AlexF
do it
I'll host another RR day as soon as everyone is ready for one. Before or after Xmas.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:03 AM
zippyobrien
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after x mas,

always skint on the run up loool
Old 07-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Christan, for "minimum advance required" I agree that you need a chassis dyno, its not something I believe anyone can feel on the road.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:13 AM
luke89
Team HOTHOT!

good to meet every one agen big thanks to nutter for lettin me jump in and trustin me for keepin an eye on his AFR's
Old 07-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Rippers
Monte Geek

Guys are the figures from a Engine dyno usually higher then a rolling road dyno?
Old 07-10-2007, 10:34 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by Paul Ripley
Guys are the figures from a Engine dyno usually higher then a rolling road dyno?
Paul, you have to remember that an Engine Dyno measures power at the Crank. A Chassis Dyno measures power at the wheels. An Engine Dyno cannot accurately tell you what your Wheel power will be, similarly a Chassis Dyno can only estimate what you Flywheel power will be.

That said, Dyno Dynamics have tested engines out of the car and then installed and claim to have the most accurate system for estimating flywheel figures.

Additionally, there is nothing to suggest that an Engine Dyno is actually accurate anyway. There are as many Engine Dyno's spitting out bullshit figures as there are Chassis Dyno's.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:34 AM
Nash
Cake lover!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

dojj No Mike just looks like a Gay Hair Dresser

Paul Ripley Higher on an engine Dyno becuase no alternator, exhaust etc.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:35 AM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
Euan, whatever your car did on a conservative mapbased on estimates of what it would encounter in the real world based on knowledge gained about it from a rolling road, it could almost certainly have done slightly better if tweaked in the real world.

That's the point Karl is making, getting 95% of the way there on a set of rollers isnt a problem, its that last couple of degrees that you can only dial in with any confidence by doing so "live"
Hey Chip, If Alan(mapper of my car) thought he could improve things from mapping on the road then we would 100% be doing mapping on the road.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:37 AM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

do it
I'll host another RR day as soon as everyone is ready for one. Before or after Xmas.
I'll be up for it
Old 07-10-2007, 10:39 AM
boXXer
GASH!

i'll pop down.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

I accept that sometimes there are discrepancies in the off-boost side of things that can be improved on the road, but even that is rare and in all honesty, if you have to go out in a car and spnd an hour or so driving around whilst subtle 'fussy' changes are made to the driveability map, then thats fine IMO.

On the DD Dyno, we can use a combination of Throttle control and the Dyno retarder to allow us to hit an exact cell-site on a map, hold it there (bang in the middle of the site, so that we know where we are in terms of interpolation too) and adjust it to get the fuelling spot on. If the customer is paying enough to cover it, we can also monitor actual measured power at that point (tractive effort) and adjust timing until we find what figure gives the most power. OK, so it isn't practical to write the high RPM on-boost parts of the map in this way, but the method I mentioned earlier is perfectly adequate for that.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Originally Posted by boXXer
i'll pop down.
Up, Its in Norwich

You done the Mk1
Old 07-10-2007, 10:45 AM
boXXer
GASH!

Originally Posted by Charlie Chalk
i'll pop down.
Up, Its in Norwich

You done the Mk1
Mr. Fucking perfect! you know what i meant. QUIM!
Old 07-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Nash
Cake lover!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

do it
I'll be up for it
I still not used my run from the last one
Old 07-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

i'll pop down.
Up, Its in Norwich

You done the Mk1

Old 07-10-2007, 10:50 AM
boXXer
GASH!

i'll pop down.
Up, Its in Norwich

You done the Mk1

Old 07-10-2007, 11:16 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

C&B...

you can't measure power..... on a RR!

Old 07-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Dingy
PassionFord Post Troll

chris.
Not one to sound funny but you said the same at the power engineering day, linsay's car made more power there LOL
Old 07-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

C&B...

Sorry Alex, I don't get what you mean.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:25 AM
AndyRST
PassionFord Post Whore!!

C&B...

Can you explain Ruths St150 fiesta, when standard it ran 147bhp on TOTD RR now its had exhaust and filter it made 155bhp yesterday on TOTD RR which is what you would expect thos mods to make extra
Old 07-10-2007, 11:27 AM
AndyRST
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by dingy
chris.
Not one to sound funny but you said the same at the power engineering day, linsay's car made more power there LOL
Wasnt that PE RR day before Linsay went from KE to L8 Cosworth management?
Old 07-10-2007, 11:29 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by AndyRST
C&B...

Can you explain Ruths St150 fiesta, when standard it ran 147bhp on TOTD RR now its had exhaust and filter it made 155bhp yesterday on TOTD RR which is what you would expect thos mods to make extra
You're missing the point Andy.

Alex is correct, even though he's nit picking!
Old 07-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Daviet
PassionFord Post Whore!!

funny that most of the cars that lost power probably had 3 letters on the back of there cars
so the cars that didnt magically lose power on the rollers yesterday would yous expect to make lots more power with a better fan??
Old 07-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Dingy
PassionFord Post Troll

Comparing Rolling roads is crazy...

Examples...

320 @ wheels at AVA - t34 slow LOL 405 on dyno and 380 @ fly in car
435 @ wheels at nobles and 561 @ fly T4 @ 31psi.....(boost from there dataloggin)

Now at TOTD it made 380@wheels and 450 @ fly but failed to hold boost and only ran 27psi...

Took radders out on road and checked boost - same as when it ran at nobles..

My runs @ totd had far to many variables and to many changes from 400 to 430 to 410 to 440 to 450.....Car remains the same just how the operator decided to run the car up... so am taking the figure with a pinch of salt cause the boost is down etc...also my graph shows it was run in 3rd and it was run up in 4th - gary @ apt mentioned this could be a possible 10-15-20bhp difference in the overall power...

Going on that and the lack of the 4 to 5 psi could explain the loss in power.

4x4 cars seem to have better readings than 2wd's also having looked at lloyds figure - made 50bhp more than mine at a part run with a very simular engine and i think less boost...

Also why did billiecabs make less power over night....and claimed to be hiting the boost limit....nothing had changed on the car...

Euan, just for the record i don't think your car would make 500bhp at the fly here going on what mine made at the wheels at AVA....very interesting though and am coming up to AVA early next year to have a power run
Old 07-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Dingy
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Daviet
funny that most of the cars that lost power probably had 3 letters on the back of there cars
so the cars that didnt magically lose power on the rollers yesterday would yous expect to make lots more power with a better fan??
Dojj ?
Alexf?
Billie Cab ?

Old 07-10-2007, 11:38 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

you measure torque and rpm

you calculate bhp

Old 07-10-2007, 11:39 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

three letters?
Old 07-10-2007, 11:40 AM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

three letters?
NMS I think he means.....
Old 07-10-2007, 11:40 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

you measure torque and rpm

you calculate bhp

OK, fair point. DD measures 'Tractive Effort'. We give a graph for this. At least BHP (wheels) is a CALCULATION as opposed to an ESTIMATE though.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:41 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

three letters?
NMS I think he means.....

Quick Reply: Torque of the Devil RR Day - 6th Oct