General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

different EVO models...????

Search this Thread

Old 27-09-2007, 06:16 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default different EVO models...????

before u say it,my account wont work on the MLR site.........
can someone please explain what all the different models are/mean....eg GSR....MR....FQ....etc and what types to go for... i'm looking at evo 7's and 8's ...cheers Pete
Old 27-09-2007, 07:29 PM
ECOS95
Advanced PassionFord User

FQ's are UK supplied cars normally FQ300, FQ330 the MR's are the improved FQ's and normally FQ300, FQ320, FQ340. GSR are normally imports from Japan I think. FQ260 are only on the Evo VIII. MR's cost more normally but are the most tuenable due to the uprated parts fitted at the factory.
Old 27-09-2007, 09:29 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

hey!!!.....thanks for helping..........
Old 27-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

here we go again
Old 27-09-2007, 10:00 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

Originally Posted by Dicko&Sarah
here we go again
....do u know anything about different evo models..???????....er NO....so fuck off.....................
Old 27-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Big Will_
Borg Warner EFR Equipped!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RS's are the 'track' spec - they have very little in the way of luxury stuff and they don't have the Active Yaw Control etc. Very much a drivers car. Shorter gear ratios too as i remember...

GSR's are the 'comfort' spec - they have all the luxury bits and the AYC etc. Still a nice drive, but heavier and taller geared.

FQ's are 'spruced up' with very average and exceedingly expensive parts.

MR's are the daddies I would advise anyone to get an MR as the bottom end will do 400lb/ft and a bit as opposed to throwing a rod at 350lb/ft, the turbo is bigger and the cams have an extra 1mm of lift...

Hope that helps...
Old 27-09-2007, 10:06 PM
rs_daz
PassionFord Post Troll

You can look at all the models on the MLR

http://www.lancerregister.com/mlr_showmodel.php

Im hopefully going to a Evo 5 soon
Old 27-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by pete mcrash
here we go again
....do u know anything about different evo models..???????....er NO....so fuck off.....................
i know yours will still say cosworth on the back cause you will only bottle it again
Old 27-09-2007, 10:26 PM
rstoughy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I got an RS2 FQ300 VII.

Best of both worlds really.

The RSII means it has a mixture of RS bits and GSR bits, like it has Electric windows but doesnt have the folding mirrors, Has nice Recaro seats not the throw away RS ones, no rear wiper, no rear head rests, no carpet lining in the boot over the back seat, no adj wiper speed ect ect

and of course it has 300hp out of the box.

If i was to buy another it would deffo be an RS or an MR as my future plans for mine are Autronic, MR Cams and an MR turbo.

Good luck with your choice as i was amazed with the amount of different models there is out there
Old 27-09-2007, 10:35 PM
ESCYSCOTT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Pete, if I was you i'd go for an RS version as the AYC won't cope with the hammering you give to cars and you'll be forever fixing the thing................sounds spookilly like cosworth ownership.

I'd go with your original plan of a Subaru WR1
Old 28-09-2007, 05:33 AM
Redkop
Member No: 39

Default Re: different EVO models...????

before u say it,my account wont work on the MLR site.........
can someone please explain what all the different models are/mean....eg GSR....MR....FQ....etc and what types to go for... i'm looking at evo 7's and 8's ...cheers Pete
Is this anything to do with our phone conversation the other day?

The RS models only have 5 gears, as does the Evo VIII 260 and Evo VII
The VIII FQ, MR and GSR models all have 6 gears.

You should be able to see MODEL COMPARISONS without having to login to MLR.
Old 28-09-2007, 05:34 AM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

here we go again
i know yours will still say cosworth on the back cause you will only bottle it again
Old 28-09-2007, 05:38 AM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

thanks for the links people but they dont answer my questions......... .....and Scott.............the new super AYC (8's) has been designed a lot better and is ment to be well up to the job.....
Old 28-09-2007, 05:44 AM
Redkop

thanks for the links people but they dont answer my questions......... .....and Scott.............the new super AYC (8's) has been designed a lot better and is ment to be well up to the job.....
I thought ECOS95 answered your questions....

What else do you want to know?
Old 28-09-2007, 05:52 AM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

Originally Posted by Redkop
I thought ECOS95 answered your questions....

What else do you want to know?
...yes he was the best..... ....but the links to the MLR dont go throught the different models,just different evolutions ie 7's 8's 9's.....
Old 28-09-2007, 06:00 AM
Redkop

You asked what the different models mean... I think the replies made have covered this question, so I'm not sure what it is you actually mean

Does this help?

Model Codes
Each Evolution model had a different 4-digit start of the chassis number [the V and VI were the same, CP9A, VII, VII GT-A and VIII were also identical, they used CT9A - see Technical Specification for the full list].

There is also a model number to distinguish between the GSR and RS. The tables below show the meaning of each digit [example is an Evo VI TME GSR]:

What's the difference between the GSR and RS?
The Evo I to III RS and GSR employ the same gearbox. The later Evo's are however, different. The GSR box has longer gearing.

The RS Model hasn't got ABS or AYC and the car is between 70kg and 100kg lighter [dependant on model - see Technical Specification] due to lighter panels and lightweight window glass. Although weight could be reduced further on the RS model by opting for the thinner gauge body, or by asking for a car minus the aerodynamic appendages.

There are a few more technical differences. These are:

Option of twin-plate clutch [from the 1996 Evolution IV]
TD05HRA-16G6-10.5T titanium turbocharger was employed on the Evolution VI onwards
RS has closer gearing for better acceleration. But top speed is between 125mph and 150mph depending on model.
RS's 0-60 is a fraction faster than the GSR times
The RS also has a quicker steering rack, 2.1 max turns [2.3 on the GSR]
Option of either a normal open front diff or a helical gear Limited Slip Diff ['worm gear' type]
Rear differential is a mechanical LSD

There are a few cosmetic differences also. These are:

The RS has black door handles and wing mirrors
The RS has no rear wash wiper
The RS has no front fog lamps**
In some cases the wheels are 15" steels [it was option to have GSR wheels]
The RS has no Climate Control, electric windows or mirrors; the seats are slightly different
The RS is available in Scotia White only
Smaller leather Momo steering wheel [365mm] with no airbag
No central locking and no radio-type keyless entry system

** For the GSR models that have foglights, the RS bumper is the same but has the spaces blanked out with covers

As for refinement, the GSR is the more refined of the two. It has all the extras you would find in any saloon car such as climate control, electric windows, electric mirrors, Alloy wheels etc.

The RS seats are more like the traditional bucket seats used in competition cars. Rally teams don't want climate control, nice seats, alloy wheels, ABS etc. as they would just have to ditch it all and replace it for high specification rally items or lose most of the equipment completely to save weight. The RS is a popular car with Group N teams.

The RS is a cheaper car, so if you were thinking of using the Evo a few times a month for a blast and for track days then the RS would seem a better option. But, if you are planning on driving the car frequently and like your luxuries then don't even consider the RS.

Other Evolution Models
OK, so you are clued about on the GSR, RS, but there are other Evo's you need to be aware of. From the 1992 Evo to 1996 Evo IV there were just the standard two models; The GSR and RS. The differences between these models are covered above.

There are some other models for the Evo V, VI, VII, VIII, VIII MR and IX. After the arrival of the Evolution V in 1998, the Evo model became a cult icon in the UK. Ralliart began to import the Evolution V and the Evolution VI. With years of knowledge and experience behind them, Ralliart began to experiment with the Evolution.

Below is some basic information on these extra special Evo's.

Evolution V/VI RS450 - UK Model
The RS450 upgrade was only fitted to the Evo VI. Although one Evo V RS did have the conversion done [white one featured in some magazines]. There were only 4 or 5 all based on eXtremes, and were based on the RSII, not an RS. So, air con, long gearing but no AYC or ABS. AP brakes were fitted to most of them but it wasn't mandatory and some had 4pot fronts with Brembo rears while the better option was 6pot front/4pot rear.

Why was it named the RS450? That was the torque figure they aimed for but never achieved. One has been measured [rolling roaded] at 383lbs/ft with 379bhp. 0-100 appears in just 8.8 seconds. A psychotic car! Ralliart also reckon 0-60 will appear in under 4 seconds. The original price tag was Ł44,000! Rare as rocking horse s**t! I have never seen one in the flesh. All the customer cars were mapped conservatively to make sure that none exploded - which they didn't! More aggressive mapping would get much nearer to the aimed 450lbs/ft.

Evolution VI/VII RSII - European Models
The RSII is a cross between a GSR and RS. From the Evo VI onwards there is also an RSII version that sits in the middle ground between the RS and GSR but is basically an RS with some added GSR equipment. The RS and RSII is also available in LHD, the GSR is available in RHD only.

Evolution VI/VII RS Sprint - UK Models
The Evo VI RS Sprint is a Ralliart tuned Evo VI RS that produces a healthy 320bhp. Modifications include a Ralliart ECU, ARP conrod bolts, HKS exhaust system and HKS air filter.

Evolution VI RSX - UK Model
It doesn't have AYC or ABS or climate control but it does have electric windows and mirrors and has aircon. It has upgraded Recaro SR seats with more thigh support than the standard GSR. It has the standard GSR gearbox but also has the Torsen front diff.

It also has a big 16G titanium turbo. This is the same turbo as the GSR but with a titanium shaft and turbo wheel and it isn't the same as the small titanium unit used on the Makinen editions. Some of the RSX's have had ARP conrod bolts put in but even Ralliart can't tell you which ones have and which ones haven't!!!

It also has a modified ECU to take account of the fact that there is no ABS and AYC. As a result of all this it weighs 1280kgs, which is approximately 80kgs less than the GSR. Due to the lighter weight it is supposedly slightly quicker to 60 but you're only talking tenths of seconds.

Evolution VI Tommi Makinen RS Monte Carlo - UK Model
The "Monte" is a Ralliart tuned Evo VI Tommi Makinen RS that produces a healthy 320bhp. Modifications include a Ralliart ECU, ARP conrod bolts, HKS exhaust system and HKS air filter. The front seats are changed to a pair of Recaro Black Recliners and the normal TME badging is changed to "Monte Carlo". Only 12 of these models were produced and to date, remain one of the rarest Evo's.

Evolution VI/VII/VIII Extreme/Extreme S/Extreme SC/Zero Fighter - UK Models*
Now, these are the ultimate Evo's. A few cosmetic changes, white and red colour-coding. The real deal! Not for the faint-hearted.

Head of tuning at Ralliart UK [now Xtreme Autos - See Ralliart goes "Xtreme"] Toney Cox stated that you would need a serious motorbike to keep with the Extreme [Quoted from the Mitsubishi Lancer Story DVD] I can believe him! The Evo VI Extreme can be picked up for under Ł25k now. A bargain! Power figures are as follows:

VI Extreme/Zero Fighter : 340bhp : 303lb/ft of torque
VII Extreme : 339bhp : 350lb/ft of torque
VII Extreme S : 357bhp : 383lb/ft of torque
VII Extreme SC : 458bhp [500 is available] : 410lb/ft of torque
VIII Extreme : 337bhp : 320lb/ft of torque

*Zero Fighter was tuned by MMC Japan.

Evolution VII/VIII FQ-300/FQ-330 - UK Models
These are basically slightly tuned GSR models. Some question the price of the FQ models as an upgrade to a GSR model would be cheaper than buying an FQ model.

VII FQ-300 : Exhaust system/filter : 301bhp : 300lb/ft of torque
VIII FQ-300 : Exhaust system/filter : 301bhp : 300lb/ft of torque
VIII FQ-330 : Exhaust system/filter/ECU : 330bhp : 305lb/ft of torque

Evolution VIII MR FQ300/320/340 - UK Models
VIII MR FQ-300 : Base Model: 301bhp : 289lb/ft of torque
VIII MR FQ-320 : Exhaust system/filter : 320bhp : 300lb/ft of torque
VIII MR FQ-340 : Exhaust system/filter/ECU : 340bhp : 320lb/ft of torque

Evolution IX FQ300/320/340/360 - UK Models
IX FQ-300 : Base Model: 301bhp : 289lb/ft of torque
IX FQ-320 : Exhaust system/filter : 320bhp : 300lb/ft of torque
IX FQ-340 : Exhaust system/filter/ECU : 340bhp : 320lb/ft of torque
IX FQ-360 : Exhaust system/filter/ECU : 366bhp : 363lb/ft of torque
Old 28-09-2007, 06:06 AM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont know which are best but imo if i was having a choice between the 7 and 8 its has to be the 8 all day,the looks of a 7 just arent hard enough for an evo.

have to say though the 6 i borrowed was an waesome motor so,so capable.
Old 28-09-2007, 10:51 AM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

Fair play to that Lynne..

He'll still complain..
Old 28-09-2007, 11:48 AM
Redkop

Well if that lot doesn't answer any of his questions..... I don't know what the fook will
Old 28-09-2007, 04:28 PM
ECOS95

Out of the 7 or 8 I'd go for an 8 300MR and tune it. The savings from the 320/340 should cover the cost of the tuning & you'll have a better car at the end of it.
Old 28-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Redkop

Originally Posted by ECOS95
Out of the 7 or 8 I'd go for an 8 300MR and tune it. The savings from the 320/340 should cover the cost of the tuning & you'll have a better car at the end of it.
Most people on MLR advocate the VIII FQ MR320 as the best one to buy if you want to mod.
Old 28-09-2007, 06:15 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

Originally Posted by staffi

He'll still complain..
....no i'm happy...ish.....
Old 28-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

So what's your plans Pete, i take it the saff is going for an Evo then??
Old 28-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Redkop

He'll still complain..
Did I put these thoughts into your mind Pete?
Old 28-09-2007, 06:22 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

So what's your plans Pete, i take it the saff is going for an Evo then??
.at the moment its a money thing......waiting for a good payrise so instead of spending it on gearbox,diffs,head work etc.....i'd rather get something newer(and hopefully more reliable) as an everyday car......
Old 28-09-2007, 06:23 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

He'll still complain..
.....no my dear.....its been coming........
Old 28-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

at the moment its a money thing......waiting for a good payrise so instead of spending it on gearbox,diffs,head work etc.....i'd rather get something newer(and hopefully more reliable) as an everyday car......

Well you're making a good choice of car anyway..

Think i might get myself another one next year..
Old 28-09-2007, 06:32 PM
Redkop

He'll still complain..
.....no my dear.....its been coming........
To whet your appetite Pete...

Old 28-09-2007, 06:36 PM
marco polo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

here we go again

Old 28-09-2007, 06:36 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

i (might ) have sorted my tuner/mapper aswell...........i just need pectal......
Old 28-09-2007, 06:57 PM
morto
PassionFord Post Troll

rs models if you want a track car or gsr for all mod cons mine is a 95 spec and has loads of stuff

andy
Old 28-09-2007, 07:03 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

Originally Posted by morto
rs models if you want a track car or gsr for all mod cons mine is a 95 spec and has loads of stuff

andy
....cheers fella but its a evo 8 (or a very good 7) that i'm after........
Old 28-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

This 9 RS does it for me Lynne..
defo a 9 for me next time..

Old 29-09-2007, 05:51 AM
Redkop

I shan't be replacing my VIII - no need to, it's just how I want it to be

Will be getting a hard pipe kit fitted shortly
Old 29-09-2007, 09:42 AM
ECOS95

Originally Posted by ECOS95
Most people on MLR advocate the VIII FQ MR320 as the best one to buy if you want to mod.
Have to admit I haven't seen many MR300 around when I was looking at the different models. I'm more tempted by a IX but the VIII does come a close second.
Old 29-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

This web site will soon b called "passion dont own a ford"Lol
Old 29-09-2007, 10:48 AM
Redkop

I still own a Ford... albeit a Fiesta 1.4 TDCi
Old 29-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by glennshute
This web site will soon b called "passion dont own a ford"Lol

Alot of the people who own Evos/Subaru etc went from Fords and some still have Fords in the Family....Don't they Lynne..

Think you'll find aswell, the people who own these make of cars STILL like Fords, BUT people want to try elswhere and there's nothing wrong in that..
Old 29-09-2007, 11:48 AM
ESCYSCOTT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

tends to be that a lot of people return to a Ford too after owning an Evo or Subaru.

I would like an Evo 5 or 6 Extreme or something like that but don't think i'd like the hit on the depreciation of it really and I definately wouldn't sell my Escos for one even if they do drive a million times better than the cossy. It's the heritage thing that I love about an Escort Cosworth that is part of the pride of owning such a car.
Old 29-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Redkop

Originally Posted by ESCYSCOTT
tends to be that a lot of people return to a Ford too after owning an Evo or Subaru.

I would like an Evo 5 or 6 Extreme or something like that but don't think i'd like the hit on the depreciation of it really and I definately wouldn't sell my Escos for one even if they do drive a million times better than the cossy. It's the heritage thing that I love about an Escort Cosworth that is part of the pride of owning such a car.
MLR is full of ex cossie owners who haven't returned to a Ford. I know I'll never return to cossie ownership..... pride and heritage sadly don't make up for newer technology and reliability.

Quick Reply: different EVO models...????