General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

AIRCRASH investigation, new series

Search this Thread

Old 18-09-2007, 09:40 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts
Default AIRCRASH investigation, new series

Anyone followng the new series.

The one last night, air china boeing 747. If you saw it, can you imagine what it must have been like for those passengers plummeting to the ground like that? Cant beleive they pulled out of it!
Old 18-09-2007, 11:20 PM
FasterFords
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen all of them so far, pretty amazing they landed it last night
Old 18-09-2007, 11:38 PM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

yes mate I'm hooked on these programmes too , does not do me any good though when its time to get on a plane

I hate flying and I'm on edge from the moment the aircraft leaves the tarmac to the moment it touches down again,

Great series though is aircrash investigation

Luciano
Old 19-09-2007, 08:24 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm well into Air Crash Investigation, much to Beccy's disgust.

6-Mile Plunge was the one last night, I haven't seen that yet. Hopefully will get round to watching it sometime this week.

You see the one where the guy let his son and daughter take the controls?
Old 19-09-2007, 09:22 AM
Jemma
Dan's Ass Kicker

Ooooh i love this programme.

Watched one a couple of months ago, where the plane crashed onto a bridge and into the water .. cant think for the life of me where it was, was somewhere in America if that helps
Old 19-09-2007, 09:28 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

a friend of mine sister was on the plane that just went down in thailand! shes alive but burnt

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7001737.stm
Old 19-09-2007, 09:29 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by GARETH T
a friend of mine sister was on the plane that just went down in thailand! shes alive but burnt

That's bad, but thank god she's alive. Seems hard to imagine ever surviving an Air Crash.

Trending Topics

Old 19-09-2007, 09:30 AM
PinkRinse
PassionFord Regular

Thank goodness she is alive!

I watched 6 Mile Plunge!! Jeeeeebus wept! Can you imagine how much puke there must have been in that cabin! I love watching those programmes
Old 19-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Jemma
Dan's Ass Kicker

The link wont open for me pc is being gay (I must get more Ram!! )

Is the link about the girl, who went back packing with her bf?

Just read about it in the Sun

Hope, she makes a speedy recovery
Old 19-09-2007, 09:34 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy

That's bad, but thank god she's alive. Seems hard to imagine ever surviving an Air Crash.
my friends flown out to be with her yesterday!

can anyone remember the plane that bounced off the runway in spain a few years ago? my friend, his wife, her parents and brother, where on it,, talk about a family holiday they all got off OK, but i think one old lady did die they waited in a field for an hour before the emergency services came to them
Old 19-09-2007, 09:34 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

I also can't believe how many 737's suffered from Rudder Relief Valve failure.

There was one I watched where the plane was flyin along happily, then suddenly and without warning, it banked over onto its side, then after 30 seconds, corrected itself. 5 mins later it did the same again andeventually crashed.

Turned out to be the tiny hydraulic valve that controls the rudder. They tested it hundreds of times on a bench faultlessly, then when they cooled the Hydraulic fluid down to the sort of temperature it would see at 30 odd thousand feet it would seize in something like 1 in 1000 operations.

There have been some truly fascinating stories on there.
Old 19-09-2007, 08:52 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Shit Gareth thank fook theyre ok!!!!!! Cant imagine it!

Christian and Beccy

6 mile plunge was the one i was on about mate! Christ its just unthinkable to put yourself into their place. Pinned to the floor, roof, then into their seat at 5 times their body weight with the g force. It was on its side, back and nose diving etc down to about 9500 feet and pulls out of it.! Amazing.
That control valve and the accidents just shows that as sad as it is with deaths, people need to die to save others...in a wierd way
I know its unlikely you will be in a plane crash, but like charlie luciano im the same, makes me more nervous But im addicted to the programme, always have been.
One where he lets his kids have a go was just bad luck, he didnt know that holding the wheel one way for 30 secs would knock the auto pilot off! Something so simple
Old 19-09-2007, 09:19 PM
adamS2RST
15K+ Super Poster!!

LOVE Air Crash Investigation, seen them all I think, and loving the new series so far, amazing the 6 mile plunge one, seeing the state of that tail on that 747 they were lucky to land that really!! Also, they did well to work out what had happened considering the black box's had recorded over the vital parts, chain of human error made it all Can’t imagine what the passengers went through the amount of G’s their body’s went through must have been on the limit!! And a testament to how well the 747 is built to withstand acrobatics like that!!
Old 19-09-2007, 09:22 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by adamS2RST
LOVE Air Crash Investigation, seen them all I think, and loving the new series so far, amazing the 6 mile plunge one, seeing the state of that tail on that 747 they were lucky to land that really!! Also, they did well to work out what had happened considering the black box's had recorded over the vital parts, chain of human error made it all Can’t imagine what the passengers went through the amount of G’s their body’s went through must have been on the limit!! And a testament to how well the 747 is built to withstand acrobatics like that!!
Yeah the plane held up well considering! Would you fly again if you were one of the passengers?
Old 19-09-2007, 09:26 PM
adamS2RST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
Yeah the plane held up well considering! Would you fly again if you were one of the passengers?
Unlikely! It doesn't phase me tbh, I like watching it not for the crash's (or near crash's) but understanding what cuased them and how the technological advances has changed the way the planes are designed which has made flying one of if not the safest forms of transport today
Old 19-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

yeah im same Adam. Scary though that sometimes something so little can cause mass death. Like one little plunger etc! Or the one where the cleaner had taped over the static sensor when cleaning and forgot to untape it, and the plane went down!
Old 19-09-2007, 09:51 PM
CHRISNISS
PassionFord Regular

The worst one i saw is when half the roof blew off in mid air
Old 19-09-2007, 10:17 PM
adamS2RST
15K+ Super Poster!!

That was the 'Aloha' airlines one, 'Hanging By A Thread' Poor maintenance on that, too many rapid compression / decompression short haul flights caused the cracks....lucky more didn't die in that, shame about the flight attendant of 37 years that was sucked out
Old 20-09-2007, 04:55 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

have you seen the one where a BA 747 lost all four engines after taking off from australia? 35,000 feet and it would take 45 mins before it ran out of hight just gliding - managed to restart the engines, they had been flying through a volcanic ash cloud ...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

I love flying, and go gliding quite a lot and hold a PPL, but flying still scares the shit out of me sometimes , I am in the RAF as well , and have had a few hairy moments aboard a Hercules

747's are fantastic aircraft though, I feel very safe in one for some reason, and I HATE airbuses with a passion
Old 20-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

I presume you've seen the video on the 'Net of the Thomson plane suffering a 'Bird Strike'? It didn't crash, but I hate to think what it must have been like on that plane with the engine banging flames out like that. The full vid is 10 mins and shows the initial strike as the plane just begins to leave the runway, the ascent with the engine having problems and the full follow-up with the tower/plane communications played over it too.

Not as bad as some on ACI, but still a good watch.

Another good one was the DHL cargo plane. There was a French news crew that was tricked into thinking that they were simply getting an insight into middle-eastern terrorists and a chance to interview them, when in reality, they bore witness to these terrorists firing a missile at a cargo plane.
Old 20-09-2007, 12:12 PM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i watched too many of these progs and now dont want to fly

aint seen none of the new series? what channel and what times?
Old 20-09-2007, 02:41 PM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by xr2i-carl

They are on national geographic channel 526 on sky digital, monday nights but are repeated through the week

Luciano
Old 20-09-2007, 02:50 PM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by charlie luciano
Originally Posted by xr2i-carl

They are on national geographic channel 526 on sky digital, monday nights but are repeated through the week

Luciano
Cheers Mr Luciano
Old 20-09-2007, 04:26 PM
adamS2RST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
I presume you've seen the video on the 'Net of the Thomson plane suffering a 'Bird Strike'? It didn't crash, but I hate to think what it must have been like on that plane with the engine banging flames out like that. The full vid is 10 mins and shows the initial strike as the plane just begins to leave the runway, the ascent with the engine having problems and the full follow-up with the tower/plane communications played over it too.

Not as bad as some on ACI, but still a good watch.

Another good one was the DHL cargo plane. There was a French news crew that was tricked into thinking that they were simply getting an insight into middle-eastern terrorists and a chance to interview them, when in reality, they bore witness to these terrorists firing a missile at a cargo plane.
Yes, seen the Thompson bird strike, - The DHL one, they did so well to land that like they did, with just the engines, how that wing didn't buckle and fall apart I don't know! And then when they did get the thing on the ground, they had to carefully walk out through the field of land mines!
Old 20-09-2007, 06:55 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

yeah seen them too

what about that one where the window blows out and the pilot is sucked partially out and is haging out the window at something like 25000 feet at full speed..and survives All because of small bolts fitted to window
Old 20-09-2007, 08:47 PM
adamS2RST
15K+ Super Poster!!

yeah seen them too

what about that one where the window blows out and the pilot is sucked partially out and is haging out the window at something like 25000 feet at full speed..and survives All because of small bolts fitted to window
Yea, that was pretty amazing really , that was the BA flight to Malaga from Birmingham, and the co pilot managed to divert to Southampton and land As you say all happened because the engineer installed the wrong bolts as he measured them up by eye

We were on a BA flight to Malaga earlier in the year and I thought of this at the time
Old 22-09-2007, 09:31 PM
adamS2RST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Did anyone see the one that was on last Monday after the first one? Just caught up with it on Sky+, can't believe that Total pilot error
Old 22-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Did anyone see the one that was on last Monday after the first one? Just caught up with it on Sky+, can't believe that Total pilot error
Thats one that crashed after take off? Into the red sea? If so a bloody pilot with all those hours of credible service and makes an error like that! Although the crew should have picked up on his vertigo!
Old 22-09-2007, 11:48 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thats one that crashed after take off? Into the red sea? If so a bloody pilot with all those hours of credible service and makes an error like that! Although the crew should have picked up on his vertigo!
I havn't seen that one, but hazarding a guess, he suffered from spatiel disorientation, having only experienced it once I can say it is fucking horrible, it's like being pissed and on a rollercoaster at the same time, but having no balance. Can happen anytime if you don't have a clear horizon to focus on, and even when flying on instruments, just for example,your brain is telling you that you are in a dive, and a right turn, but really you are straight and level, which causes all sorts of problems. I experienced it when I was doing my PPL, and for one of the sections you have to do an hours flying just on instruments, and you wear a hood and special half smoked glasses so you cannot see outside the aircraft.

The instructor then made me close my eyes, and lean my head on my shoulder, then threw the aircraft around while asking me what we were doing, climbing, turning etc. Then said, tell me when we are straight and level. So I did, opened my eyes and we were in a really steep left turn, in a big dive as well , is a really really bizzare feeling, and quite scary how easily you get disorientated
Old 23-09-2007, 01:04 AM
Andreas
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Jemma
Ooooh i love this programme.

Watched one a couple of months ago, where the plane crashed onto a bridge and into the water .. cant think for the life of me where it was, was somewhere in America if that helps
I think it was in Washington D.C, I remember reading about in a yearbook as a kid.

I was in a 737 two years ago who got a bird strike at the early stages of the start. Heavy vibrations from the engine so I thought the pilot would abort the take off as we had plenty of runway left. When I realized he was going to bring the plane airbone I almost shit myself. Must have been a tiny bird though, didnt have any flame out issues, just vibrations that would make any dildo manufacturer jealous.
Old 25-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

RWD_cossie_wil

yes it was !
Old 28-09-2007, 07:09 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

she died yesterday
Old 28-09-2007, 09:17 PM
_DAN_
Yoon

Cool program, only just got into via *cough Tv-Links*.

I've seen only two so far though: The one about the Jakarta incident, and the Speedbird 5390 decompression one.
Old 29-09-2007, 06:29 AM
PhilM
PassionBMW.com Member

RIP Bethan Jones & Alex Collins