General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Just how fast are R1`s,I mean can someone*UPDATED*

Search this Thread

Old 26-06-2007, 05:17 PM
B16JUS
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im a big lad and used to have a 2002 r1 which i enjoyed sold that had a supermoto, blade, harley.

i had a 2003 k3 gsxr 1000 on sat and got to say its a lot lot lot faster than the r1 and blade to the level even i thought it was too much how people or 9stone ride them it must be crazy.

personally i would get the new k7 gsxr 750 i think suzuki are doing the £99 insurance on it in july i got to say i was impressed with the one i rode

J
Old 26-06-2007, 05:29 PM
Deleted by Request
Former Sponsor

...where has rapidcossie gone then with his stage 3 R1 eater

Well done rod for laying down FACTS
Old 26-06-2007, 05:50 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think what a lot of people don't realize is that it is a LOT easier to drive a car fast than ride a bike fast, especially on the roads, and that the performance figures for bikes are gained by highly skilled riders on a good dry surface, with many attempts to get them as low as possible......

I have personally toasted a CBR 600 in a straight line on my own on one occasion, not much in it but I had 5-6 car lengths on him after a mile and a bit from a rolling 40-50mph start.

Also killed an R6 5 up in my old 370BHp RWD saff cossie (RR proven @ engine advantages, so prob more like 350) , the R6 was getting away between 40-100, then I was reeling him in easily at 150-160+ , and that speed he was struggling with slight kinks in the road, where I could just keep the cos flat stick , even got it on video but not going to post it as there seems to be a spate of people getting done by there own evidence at the moment

I don't think that my car was that much faster than the bikes, but far far easier to use to its full potential, I had a play with an R1 and it mullered me to the point where he was taking the piss doing wheelies at 130 , and he was a fucking handy rider as well.

A good car driver in a powerful car will usually beat an average rider in a road race, just for the simple fact that it is so hard to ride a bike to its potential
Old 26-06-2007, 05:52 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

oh and any piggywiggys or grassers reading the above post, it is all lies and I am making it all up, the speeds are quoted in bananas per mile and it all took place in my mind so fuck off and catch some criminals
Old 26-06-2007, 06:06 PM
graham c
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did you not have a six speed box in then kev
Old 26-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Miller 3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MadRod
Can a Cossie outrun an R1- not unless you have massive bhp

Lots of talk on this Topic so now lets quote a few facts.

Got the R1 times from the web.

R1 ---------------------------------800bhp Cosworth
0-60 3.0 ------------------------------------ 0-60 4.1
0-100 6.0 ---------------------------------- 0-100 6.9
0-150 11.6 ---------------------------------- 0-150 12.7
60-100 3.0 ---------------------------------- 60-100 2.8
100-150 5.6 --------------------------------- 100-150 5.8
60-150 8.6 ----------------------------------- 60-150 8.6
Must have a go in a Stage 3 Cossie that can out acclerate that, mine does well evens from 60-150. So you will need 800bhp in a rwd Cossie to run with the R1 , mind you my 0-180 is many seconds quicker than the R1 & I cant find its 0-200 anywhere .

ps. Modify the R1 & it will piss over mine as well, they are fast lads.
If this was aimed at me rod' Where did i say R1.?
Old 26-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Paul J
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Evo timed the Cresent Suzuki GSX-R1000 at brunters.
0-60 2.9
0-100 5.4
0-150 10.6
0-180 19.9 How does this compare with the 800bhp cossie?

http://www.radicalsportscars.com/med...feud/index.php
Old 26-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Lambchop
Originally Posted by Bosch_Dealer
..owning both fast cars and bikes that is
thanks

I hate these threads when there is a "fast" car owner deciding he fancies a stab at riding a bike and will only settle for the best/fastest

There's a reason why you dont give a 17yr old who has just passed their driving test a rwd 500bhp cossie

I think that most people who dont ride also dont have a CLUE how fast bikes really are and the rush from riding them! At times cracking the throttle can feel well scary and make the adrenaline flow

I've ridden for 4 years and have a gixxer 750 and all i know is that i dont think i could handle an R1 properly to use to itf full potential. Now no offence but if i cant do it then a new rider certainly cant

Call me if you like but these are facts from someone who has both car and bike

Fuckin hell chop, any need to be like that man, a bike is only fast if you let it be, and whats to say I might "LEARN" a little bit quicker than you, IMO and the blokes in the bike shop I spoke to today,they actually said they hand on heart dont know any man this side of a pro rider who can honestly say theyve opened an R1 up totally, does that mean all us mere mortals are forbidden to buy one FFS
I knew all the usual suspects would come on and say "oh you cant have a fuckin R1 as your 1st,get a 6 instead, well to tell you the truth I dont wanna fuckin R6 I wanna R1, I didnt ask you to come on the thread and tell me if you cant or wont ride one then I cant , I asked for peoples opinions on them,not on how I would or wouldnt fare on one
Old 26-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Rs(555)
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default r1

i bought a kawasaki zx9r for my first bike and loved it people said it was too quick for me and probably and still is but if i had bought a 600 i know i would off sold it quick and bought a 900 or 1000 as most people pass ther test to get one imo not everone i knowbut i did good luvk mate buy what you want just be carefull,you will soon see how much car drivers can be tossers
Old 26-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Rs(555)

Default r1

i bought a kawasaki zx9r for my first bike and loved it people said it was too quick for me and probably and still is but if i had bought a 600 i know i would off sold it quick and bought a 900 or 1000 as most people pass ther test to get one imo not everone i knowbut i did good luk mate buy what you want just be carefull,you will soon see how much car drivers can be tossers
Old 26-06-2007, 07:58 PM
Rs(555)

Default r1

sorry for double post fooked up
Old 26-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Miller 3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: r1

Originally Posted by D5 JJC
i bought a kawasaki zx9r for my first bike and loved it people said it was too quick for me and probably and still is but if i had bought a 600 i know i would off sold it quick and bought a 900 or 1000 as most people pass ther test to get one imo not everone i knowbut i did good luk mate buy what you want just be carefull,you will soon see how much car drivers can be tossers
And you must treat them all as Cunts'.

At the end of the day it's your choice so buy what you like buddy
It will only go as fast as you allow it to. Just take easy and take care
Old 26-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i bought a kawasaki zx9r for my first bike and loved it people said it was too quick for me and probably and still is but if i had bought a 600 i know i would off sold it quick and bought a 900 or 1000 as most people pass ther test to get one imo not everone i knowbut i did good luvk mate buy what you want just be carefull,you will soon see how much car drivers can be tossers
I know mate, I have a very low boredom threshod , I would get used to an R6, im not being arrogant I just know I would,and then Id want an R1, so I may as well save myself the hassle and buy an R1
Old 26-06-2007, 08:39 PM
Alvyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If your going for a carb'd model R1 try and get the 5jj model!

any 1 litre bike WILL be fast and I doubt any NORMAL person will use it to the max on the road but my only bit to sway you for an R1 would be just take your time and DONT be fooled as one (too big) a blip of the throttle and it COULD end up in tears where as on a smaller bike their abit more forgiving but not by much
Old 26-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Brannen
thanks

I hate these threads when there is a "fast" car owner deciding he fancies a stab at riding a bike and will only settle for the best/fastest

There's a reason why you dont give a 17yr old who has just passed their driving test a rwd 500bhp cossie

I think that most people who dont ride also dont have a CLUE how fast bikes really are and the rush from riding them! At times cracking the throttle can feel well scary and make the adrenaline flow

I've ridden for 4 years and have a gixxer 750 and all i know is that i dont think i could handle an R1 properly to use to itf full potential. Now no offence but if i cant do it then a new rider certainly cant

Fuckin hell chop, any need to be like that man, a bike is only fast if you let it be, and whats to say I might "LEARN" a little bit quicker than you, IMO and the blokes in the bike shop I spoke to today,they actually said they hand on heart dont know any man this side of a pro rider who can honestly say theyve opened an R1 up totally, does that mean all us mere mortals are forbidden to buy one FFS
I knew all the usual suspects would come on and say "oh you cant have a fuckin R1 as your 1st,get a 6 instead, well to tell you the truth I dont wanna fuckin R6 I wanna R1, I didnt ask you to come on the thread and tell me if you cant or wont ride one then I cant , I asked for peoples opinions on them,not on how I would or wouldnt fare on one
jesus mate you seem a bit touchy
look at your original post, you asked for an opinion and i gave my opinion on a new rider having a thou. whats wrong with that?

Originally Posted by MrBrannen
I know mate, I have a very low boredom threshod , I would get used to an R6, im not being arrogant I just know I would,and then Id want an R1, so I may as well save myself the hassle and buy an R1
have you ridden a bike before? If so fair do's you maybe know what to expect. If you havent then i think you're a little short sighted.

Lets try putting it another way...how old are you? If you're say 25+ then perhaps you could get away with an R1 as your 1st bike but ONLY if you show it maximum respect because they can bite BAD! Also on the plus side you've obviously had fast cars for a while so in your favour you should be pretty road wise and observant which goes a long way on a bike. Both are similar as in you really need your wits about you when nipping on.

Dont get the hump just because i offered an opinion
maybe one day you might feel the same
Old 26-06-2007, 09:02 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

you will soon see how much car drivers can be tossers
That is so true.
Old 26-06-2007, 09:12 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If youve never rode a bike on the road mate, you may not get bored of a 600 as quick as you might think mate.

In fact i know of loads of people who felt they were riding 600's and 750's to the limit and bought thou's as they thought they could go faster. Many of them soon sold the bigger bikes and downgraded again as they could actually go quicker on the less powerful bikes, as it suited their riding style better.

Ive been told numerous times by many experienced riders that the gixer 750 is the prefered bike at the moment, by both people upgrading from 600's and by people downgrading from thou's as they can ride them quicker and easier.

Its not all about what power you have, its about how you use the power that youve got.

Just something to think about mate, and im sure youll know what you want one way or the other once you get out and have a go on a few.
Old 26-06-2007, 09:14 PM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

sorry chop, it was just the way you said "I fancy a stab", made me sound like im so stupid and mindless that I think I could just get on one and go wild, Im realy not that stupid, but as I believe is the same case with cars it applies with bikes too......despite what yous all say they dont have a mind of there own and will only go as fast as you want them to sorry for over reacting as well mate
Old 26-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

so how do I go about " test driving " these different bikes, is it like walking into a car dealership and asking for a go
Old 26-06-2007, 09:18 PM
coco16i

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks

jesus mate you seem a bit touchy
look at your original post, you asked for an opinion and i gave my opinion on a new rider having a thou. whats wrong with that?

Originally Posted by MrBrannen
have you ridden a bike before? If so fair do's you maybe know what to expect. If you havent then i think you're a little short sighted.

Lets try putting it another way...how old are you? If you're say 25+ then perhaps you could get away with an R1 as your 1st bike but ONLY if you show it maximum respect because they can bite BAD! Also on the plus side you've obviously had fast cars for a while so in your favour you should be pretty road wise and observant which goes a long way on a bike. Both are similar as in you really need your wits about you when nipping on.

Dont get the hump just because i offered an opinion
maybe one day you might feel the same

Well said Chop

Wonder what folks would think if someone that had not yet passed there car test posted up a thread saying they wanted to buy a 600 bhp cossie as a first car, im sure they would be ripped to fuck on here and everyone would say its mental and you must be off your head to jump straight into something like that, far better off to start with a basic ish example, get used to that and then work your way up to something bigger and better.

Thats what the experienced bikers on here are trying to tell you mate, if you aint ever had a bike before im sure most folks would agree that an R6 would be more than a handful for you, jumping straight onto an R1 is crazy IMHO.
Old 26-06-2007, 09:21 PM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

But why Coco, it doesnt have to tear about on the back wheel man, Im actually in control of my own wrists believe it or not
Old 26-06-2007, 09:21 PM
mattbibs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

be careful mate!

i went to the bike shop the other day and said i want the fastest bike you have!

are you sure sir?

yes yes i know how to drive them i said!

oh well - dont say we didnt warn you as they can be tricky depending on the road surfaces round here and there is a knack to them.

blar blar blar i said heres my card take the deposit!

well - within a few months i've already sent it down the road and sat here with a pretty bashed up arm!

good job i went into the CYCLE shop and not the MOTORCYCLE shop! still bloody hurts tho!!

im getting some urges to get a bike soon - out of interest what do people rate as the best/easiest/wont get bored with too quickly bike? in the 600 range?
Old 26-06-2007, 09:34 PM
coco16i

But why Coco, it doesnt have to tear about on the back wheel man, Im actually in control of my own wrists believe it or not

On any of the bigger bikes its so easy to get caught out by the sheer outright speed of them, seriously you will be blown away by just how quick they really are.

You might be reasonably carefull to start of with but im sure in a very short time you will be cracking the throttle open big time and more than likely ridinig outwith your capabilities, thats when things will go wrong and when they go wrong on a bike they go wrong big time.

I've been caught out a couple of times and have been riding bikes for quite a number of years, about 4 years ago my Fireblade spat me off in a rather spectacular highside because i got on the throttle just a tad to early coming out of a bend. The sensation of speed on a really fast bike seems to make people think they are invincible and gives them confidence beyond there means.

Im sure if you were to have a test ride on an R6 or something similar you will be seriously impressed, on track days that i have been on its usually the guys on the 600's that are the hardest one's to get past as they are better handling that the litre bikes and dont require as much effort.

I have a feeling that you just want to jump straight onto an R1 because its one of the best and fastest bikes you can buy, could be a costly mistake IMO but hey its up to you what you do and regardless of what folks are going to advise you on here you will do what you want to do anyway. I just think you should be very carefull with what you deceide upon.
Old 26-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by cocofireblade

I have a feeling that you just want to jump straight onto an R1 because its one of the best and fastest bikes you can buy
I have to admit theres a bit of truth in that, I just want an R1 ,I would probably suit a 6 if thats what your all saying cause you cant all be wrong, but I know the way I think and id always look at it and wish Id bought an R1
Old 26-06-2007, 09:47 PM
coco16i

Originally Posted by cocofireblade

I have a feeling that you just want to jump straight onto an R1 because its one of the best and fastest bikes you can buy
I have to admit theres a bit of truth in that, I just want an R1 ,I would probably suit a 6 if thats what your all saying cause you cant all be wrong, but I know the way I think and id always look at it and wish Id bought an R1

Fair play for actually admitting that mate. If you do buy an R1 i suggest taking off everywhere in 3rd or 4th gear as 1st and 2nd will have the front wheel going skywards quicker than you can say " holy fuck this things fast " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 26-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

realy , 4th gear, theyre that good/bad , do bike dealers help you in this way,I mean who is gonna let me test drive a R6 or 1
Old 26-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Mr B
No problem mate. As you'll see from Coco i'm not the only one trying to advise

I think you seem to think theres a "lesser man" stigma with having a 600 when thats certainly not the case!

Having a tank slapper or lighting the rear in the wet can be fuckin scary and its 10x worse on a thou
You just cant imagine just how small a wrist movement the wrong way can spit you off

Anyway im never gonna win this one soi'll try another line of devils advocate...

You ACTUALLY think you're gonna get round to sitting your test instead of just talking about it? lol
Old 26-06-2007, 09:54 PM
furry
DECODING JIBBA JABBA!!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

mine nearly killed me last year and i've been riding 12 years, not for the faint hearted or inexperienced.
theres nothing that can describe the power delivery or rush experienced every time you crack open the throttle.
i've not riden my for 3 months and i'm nervous about getting back on it incase i underestimate the power!!!
Old 26-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

realy , 4th gear, theyre that good/bad , do bike dealers help you in this way,I mean who is gonna let me test drive a R6 or 1
knew i forgot something.

Dealers seem to let you test anything whatever your experience

havent done it myself yet as i dont have the balls to test something i'm blatently not going to buy
Old 26-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Originally Posted by furry
i've not riden my for 3 months and i'm nervous about getting back on it incase i underestimate the power!!!
i sorta know what you mean and it sucks

i fell off a few weeks back and it does make me feel nervous in a way.

even leaving the bike for just a few weeks makes you underestimate the speed. i've given myself a fright a few times after being off it for a while imagine what its like as a beginenr with no experience to make you err on the side of caution?!
Old 26-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

I tell you what. Go buy a R1. Its your money after all.
I look foward to seeing pics of it within a month or so. Heres the thread you'll be needing.

https://passionford.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=226023
Old 26-06-2007, 10:21 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by gareth589
Hi Chap...

Just read your post on going for a R1 as a first bike. Mate i have just given up biking after nearly 10 years. I have owned some real hard core machine my last project was a gsxr 750 k5 that i spent 32k on. It was featured in the last 3 months of fast bike magazine as the uk's most exotic gixer. Sadly after taking 10 months to build it she was written off in march this year by a boy racer that hit me head on.

My advice to you is this, many people when just passing there D.A.S go out and buy the biggest and fastest bike they can. They then hook up with like minded people and go for ride outs. Sadly group mentaltty is that one of the guys in the group will be a shit hot rider and set the pace, the rest will follow in pursuit, leaving the slow one at the back, in this case the rider then tends to take risks, as in going to fast in to bends, braking in to bends and in general riding way beyond there means and abilty. which often ends in a crash and the rider is hurt or sadly killed.

The early Yamaha R1'S were known as the widow maker because they bite you in the ass with no warning and do not provide you with the greatest of feedback, i owned one and felt is was to wild.
Im not knocking this bike as its truly amazing but for you i would go out and look at the 600cc class, try the suzuki which was my first bike, i have owned the cbr600rr which is great and the kawk 636 was fun, in my eyes i have had the gixxer thou which is mental and a great bike.

All i ask is please listen to what i say and learn your time on a bike do some advanced training like the bikesafe scheme which is run by all police forces across the country and take on the tips they give. Spend six months or a season to enjoy and learn then consider going for the r1, but go to the dealers and try the demos they offer.

I have lost many mates on bikes and would try to pass on the knowledge i have and experiance from the crashes i have suffered. If you get this months fast bike mag your see my smashed up baby in there on the cracking one off.

All the best and sorry to sound like your mother.

Gareth
This is taken from another thread about an R1 as a first bike. I think its great advice and is certainly something that should be taken in mate.
Old 26-06-2007, 11:29 PM
aduz
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by S1rst
Originally Posted by gareth589
Hi Chap...

Just read your post on going for a R1 as a first bike. Mate i have just given up biking after nearly 10 years. I have owned some real hard core machine my last project was a gsxr 750 k5 that i spent 32k on. It was featured in the last 3 months of fast bike magazine as the uk's most exotic gixer. Sadly after taking 10 months to build it she was written off in march this year by a boy racer that hit me head on.

My advice to you is this, many people when just passing there D.A.S go out and buy the biggest and fastest bike they can. They then hook up with like minded people and go for ride outs. Sadly group mentaltty is that one of the guys in the group will be a shit hot rider and set the pace, the rest will follow in pursuit, leaving the slow one at the back, in this case the rider then tends to take risks, as in going to fast in to bends, braking in to bends and in general riding way beyond there means and abilty. which often ends in a crash and the rider is hurt or sadly killed.

The early Yamaha R1'S were known as the widow maker because they bite you in the ass with no warning and do not provide you with the greatest of feedback, i owned one and felt is was to wild.
Im not knocking this bike as its truly amazing but for you i would go out and look at the 600cc class, try the suzuki which was my first bike, i have owned the cbr600rr which is great and the kawk 636 was fun, in my eyes i have had the gixxer thou which is mental and a great bike.

All i ask is please listen to what i say and learn your time on a bike do some advanced training like the bikesafe scheme which is run by all police forces across the country and take on the tips they give. Spend six months or a season to enjoy and learn then consider going for the r1, but go to the dealers and try the demos they offer.

I have lost many mates on bikes and would try to pass on the knowledge i have and experiance from the crashes i have suffered. If you get this months fast bike mag your see my smashed up baby in there on the cracking one off.

All the best and sorry to sound like your mother.

Gareth
This is taken from another thread about an R1 as a first bike. I think its great advice and is certainly something that should be taken in mate.
well said
Old 27-06-2007, 07:34 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

thirded

but if you want to go out and kill yourself, go ahead, just make sure that you leave enough money in your will to cover any expenses
Old 27-06-2007, 08:00 AM
Adam_BlackRS
Ex Ford Man

I got myself a 2000 R6 as my 1st road bike.... Passed back in Oct 2006 and its more than enough for me... I'm still learning and getting used to it.

Its feckin quick and still scares me sometimes at how quick it is.

I've been meeting up with a few other bikers, they've been riding for years and given me lots of tips. I never ride at there pace, always my own. They suggest getting on a track day to see what your bike is really capable of.
Old 27-06-2007, 10:18 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

s1rst
thats sound advice from the other guy like. fuck spending 32k on a fucking bike though!!!
Old 27-06-2007, 11:08 AM
aduz
PassionFord Post Whore!!

s1rst
thats sound advice from the other guy like. fuck spending 32k on a fucking bike though!!!
each to there own mate as he would probably think people spending a fortune on a old sierra is nuts
Old 27-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Originally Posted by aduz
s1rst
each to there own mate as he would probably think people spending a fortune on a old sierra is nuts
aye fair enough but HOW do you spend 32k on a bike?!?

That wouldgive you a mental spec on a car!
Old 27-06-2007, 11:21 AM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

someone I know in Cyprus has a bike with a turbo on it (can't remember what it was) never went on it but him saying to me it goes from 0-100km/h as fast as it goes from 100-200km/h just stuck in my head all that time
Old 27-06-2007, 11:35 AM
vikingboy
PassionFord Regular

[quote="Farmer Giles"]

Anyway, hope this helps make your mind up...

thats so
I cant even ride one of those things but seeing that makes me want to learn.

That is one fucking gorgeous piece of hardware.

Quick Reply: Just how fast are R1`s,I mean can someone*UPDATED*