General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Smoking whilst driving.........

Search this Thread

Old 19-06-2007, 08:10 PM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flip2k3
Originally Posted by richm
Having a cigarette lit whilst driving is easy, lets face it, I only smoke and the majority only smoke on long journeys or smoke whilst on a motorway or A road. Thus making your empty hand useful.

None of these facts apply whilst smoking. I can turn a wheel with a cig in my hand anyday, any car, any situation. Failing that, it goes in my mouth and believe it or not your eyes and nose can get used to the sensation of smoke. The chances of dropping a fag are slim also. I have only once, due to me being a prat. But then accidents do happen don't they, or I suppose they weren't paying attention and the smoke and ash was in their eyes and lap.

Its not a problem for me, just like speeding isn't.
What happens when you finish your fag?? ....... does it just evaporate?

oh, and please don't say chuck it out of the window, that is THE one best reason to stop smoking in cars
Oh do me a favour, so my 1 fag or so a day thrown out the window is going to aid pollution in such a way that the world is thrown into a violent spin of contamination and we all get the rage virus.

Its a cigarette, get over yourselves. 50 years ago this wasn't a problem, why the fuck should it be now. We're British and are heading up the gangway to being a bunch of cotten wool clad monkeys doing whatever the man says.

Such a rediculous argument with extemists pushing forward the most invalid points that are taken to the degree of world collapse.

People need to lay off of smokers. I'm just about to stop due to a career choice and no longer enjoying it but these arguments are stupid. Next people will no longer be allowed to smoke in their homes and in their gardens.
Hey, don't flatter yourself LOL, that one's got little to do with smoking, more about the small-minded nobs who chuck anything out of the car, litter has got to be THE worst bain of our society going as there is NO excuse for it - they've clearly got no regard for anything around them to do it, the specific issue here is a lit fag butt, which if you've ever ridden a motorcycle ain't funny
Old 19-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Having a cigarette lit whilst driving is easy, lets face it, I only smoke and the majority only smoke on long journeys or smoke whilst on a motorway or A road. Thus making your empty hand useful.

None of these facts apply whilst smoking. I can turn a wheel with a cig in my hand anyday, any car, any situation. Failing that, it goes in my mouth and believe it or not your eyes and nose can get used to the sensation of smoke. The chances of dropping a fag are slim also. I have only once, due to me being a prat. But then accidents do happen don't they, or I suppose they weren't paying attention and the smoke and ash was in their eyes and lap.

Its not a problem for me, just like speeding isn't.
What happens when you finish your fag?? ....... does it just evaporate?

oh, and please don't say chuck it out of the window, that is THE one best reason to stop smoking in cars
Oh do me a favour, so my 1 fag or so a day thrown out the window is going to aid pollution in such a way that the world is thrown into a violent spin of contamination and we all get the rage virus.

Its a cigarette, get over yourselves. 50 years ago this wasn't a problem, why the fuck should it be now. We're British and are heading up the gangway to being a bunch of cotten wool clad monkeys doing whatever the man says.

Such a rediculous argument with extemists pushing forward the most invalid points that are taken to the degree of world collapse.

People need to lay off of smokers. I'm just about to stop due to a career choice and no longer enjoying it but these arguments are stupid. Next people will no longer be allowed to smoke in their homes and in their gardens.
Hey, don't flatter yourself LOL, that one's got little to do with smoking, more about the small-minded nobs who chuck anything out of the car, litter has got to be THE worst bain of our society going as there is NO excuse for it - they've clearly got no regard for anything around them to do it, the specific issue here is a lit fag butt, which if you've ever ridden a motorcycle ain't funny
I tottaly agree. I followed a bus the other day and 2 pop bottles got thrown out of the upper level windows...was a school bus. dragged up little ignorant coonts :cry

If a fag butt came flying towards me whilst i was out on the bike theyd certainley know about it....
Old 19-06-2007, 10:08 PM
The Rapid 1
Advanced PassionFord User

AFPMSL

All the same people arguing EXACTLY the same points as last time this thread did the rounds a couple of months ago

Right for 1 yes I do throw my LIT buts out the window, BUT NOT rubbish , the reason I do throw butts out is exactly so I dont have to stop concentrating on the road ! (whilst trying to stub it out )

Have I ever ridden a bike, err yes, 5 years solid EVERY day including commuting to london most of them, meaning being stuck in traffic with "inconsiderate" smokers launching their buts at me, to 150+mph belts on "private" roads, have I ever been hit by ONE butt, not that I can remember, so it must have been really painfull , bees wasps yep can remember being hit by them cos YES you DO feel them, but cos I wore my LEATHERS cant say they exactly hurt that much, do you know what the mathamatical chances of being hit by a "well aimed" butt would be !

As for hitting our precious cars FFS, have you ever felt how soft a butt is, come on dont even go there as an excuse, what about the junction you spin out of causing stones to fly up at your own cars, other cars and pedestrians on pavements ! think they cause just a bit more damage than a bit of wool.

Chip, normally I tend to agree with alot of what you say , but not this time, being a smoker and HAVING ACTUALLY DROPPED a lit fag whilst driving, you know the first thing I worry about while diving for my extinguisher, not what degree burns my leg is gonna suffer, but getting it off the seat before it marks that, and you know how to do that, SIT ON IT, puts it straight out

THE biggest danger whilst smoking and driving IS lighting it, cos yes for a half second you have to look at where the end of the ciggy is to apply the flame to, but with years of practice funnily being stuck out in front of your face you can actually look where you are going and hold the flame up at the same time

Probably the biggest "RISK" is flicking your ash out the window, and missing the open part of the window and hitting the glass, thus knocking the fag down between your fingers and burning them, as ye that does hurt and make you jump a bit, oh and go fuck fuck fuck that hurt

I have seen first hand how playing with a radio whislt driving DOES cause accidents, as my ex did it, she mounted the pavement (no wise cracks about mounting things please ) and hit some poor kid, not serious but she was just pulling out of a junction so no speed, and of course there was the case on Police camera action where some stupid bint of a nurse is driving down the road nothing else there and she plows into the back of a parked car, of course playing with her radio taking her eyes off the road.

As for comparison between smoking and mobile phones there is none, as even with a handsfree bluetooth, you ARE NOT concentrating on the road, (where as I would say smoking helps me concentrate as it helps me relax) ok you may not need your hands to actually hold the phone, but as chip says if something is about to happen fook the phone both hands are back on the wheel. The reason driving and talking on the phone is dangerous is because you are NOT concentrating on the road 100% maybe 50 from a good driver depending what the call is about, you got some buisnessman trying to clinch a million pound deal that his job is depending on, then where do you think his mind is, or maybe chatting up some girl/bloke, trying to make sure you saying the right things and make them laugh etc, the last I know from experience was busy yaking away, watching the traffic, going slower to match there speed, before thought fuck this they going too slow so didnt matter had both my hands on the wheem, so sped up a bit, dont know how many SPECS cameras I drove thru before realising , oh and the young lady I was trying to impress got the shock of her life with the amount of "F"s and "B"s i came out with

SORRY the two just dont compare.

Oh and just for the record someone earlier asked could they get done for a toy phone, well going by what one of the boys in blue said on here before I would say yes, as its not the talking and comunicating on the phone that is the offence, but holding a device.

The one I dont get tho is why arent CB radios banned as there are only very few that you dont only have to hold in your hand to use, but actually physically push the transmit button every time you wanna talk.

The only way and reason I would agree to stop smoking in cars is at least it would make it easier to stop all the puff heads getting "stoned" and driving, cos anyone seen with any type of fag in there hands could be pulled

Right thats my bit said

Steve
Old 19-06-2007, 10:21 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by The Rapid 1
As for hitting our precious cars FFS, have you ever felt how soft a butt is, come on dont even go there as an excuse,
I agree it probably wont damage the car, but the damage it may or may not cause is not the major issue here for me.

Its that fact that someone people have the cheek to think its ok to flick something out the window knowing dam well theres a good chance its going to hit someone elses car.

I really cant quite get my head round this that some people seem to think its actually ok!!!

Would it be ok for me to walk past your car while your sat at traffic lights and spit my chewing gum out on your bonnet??? ''Its ok though it wont damage it mate, dont worry about it.'' Hmmm, didnt think so!
Old 19-06-2007, 10:45 PM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

obviously a fag butt going out of the window is some "special" sort of rubbish..
Old 19-06-2007, 10:46 PM
The Rapid 1

Originally Posted by S1rst
As for hitting our precious cars FFS, have you ever felt how soft a butt is, come on dont even go there as an excuse,
I agree it probably wont damage the car, but the damage it may or may not cause is not the major issue here for me.

Its that fact that someone people have the cheek to think its ok to flick something out the window knowing dam well theres a good chance its going to hit someone elses car.

I really cant quite get my head round this that some people seem to think its actually ok!!!

Would it be ok for me to walk past your car while your sat at traffic lights and spit my chewing gum out on your bonnet??? ''Its ok though it wont damage it mate, dont worry about it.'' Hmmm, didnt think so!
Well I would like to see you do it
As if you did that you had made a malicious act specifically and intended at me and or my car, which is a bit different, and for two with all your saliva around it it would stick in place on my bonnet, and fook knows what the chemicals they put in gums to make them the colours and tastes they do what damage it may do, but compared to blood and teeth marks in my bonnet I spose probably not to bad

Are you still trying to tell me you actually SEEN a butt hit your car, you may see one bouncing down the road at you but can you say 100% your car has been hit by one, and IF it 100% has, come on tell us all just WHAT DAMAGE it DID do

Steve
Old 19-06-2007, 10:49 PM
The Rapid 1

obviously a fag butt going out of the window is some "special" sort of rubbish..
Yep, its the sort of rubbish that cant just be thrown in the bag in the footwell, or even the footwell, for retrevial to a proper receptical at a latter date.

Unless I take my eyes off the road and look for somewhere to stubb the butt out and keep looking at it to make sure its out, I am not throwing it into a bag of rubbish OR my footwell !

Oh and the fact a bit of cotton wool some paper and some leaves will disintergrate and go back into nature from where they come pretty quick, think I can sleep easy at night noy worrying about the enviroment, not like some plasic wrappers bottles, polystyrene etc that will litter somewhere for months
Old 19-06-2007, 10:54 PM
diesel2000
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Cant be arsed to read all 3 pages so this may have already been said, but how long until we are all driving fucking automatics as we cant be taking our hands off the wheel to change gear now can we????

And we are fucked if we need to put the window down to flick our bogeys out of!!!
Old 19-06-2007, 11:35 PM
KregRS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never knew there were so many Moral Crusaders on pf. 1st the parking in M+T spaces, now smoking while driving, haven't you got anything better to do than trying to ram your view down everyones throat, all because you believe you're right.
People park where they're not supposed to, it happens, tough shit, deal with it. People smoke while driving, again it happens, tough shit, deal with it. I'm sure there are many things you do in your everyday life that some of us might not agree with, but you don't see us giving it a load of flannel because we disagree with it.

You live your life, I'll live mine. If I do want to smoke in my car on my way down to tesco's to park in a M+T space, I will, nothing that you say on here going to stop me.

So just fook off and let me get on with it.
Old 20-06-2007, 12:02 AM
arkley
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Go on son
Old 20-06-2007, 08:39 AM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by S1rst

Well I would like to see you do it
As if you did that you had made a malicious act specifically and intended at me and or my car, which is a bit different, and for two with all your saliva around it it would stick in place on my bonnet, and fook knows what the chemicals they put in gums to make them the colours and tastes they do what damage it may do, but compared to blood and teeth marks in my bonnet I spose probably not to bad

Are you still trying to tell me you actually SEEN a butt hit your car, you may see one bouncing down the road at you but can you say 100% your car has been hit by one, and IF it 100% has, come on tell us all just WHAT DAMAGE it DID do

Steve
''well i would like to see you do it'', slightly hypocritical mate dont you think?

I do 60,000 miles+ a year and have had LOADS of tab ends hit may car by disrespectful, selfish people just like yourself!!!! As i said, me spitting chewing gum out and it accidently hitting your car would be just as disrespectful as if its heading your way theres a good chance it may hit it, they both have saliva on and may very well both leave marks on the cars, but probably no damage. Having said that, a fag butt through the grill may very well have some dangerous consequences and if you cant see that, then you need some lessons in common sense as does everyone that does it in my opinion. And dont try and make out that chewing gum has harmful chemicals in it when your inhaling shit sticks into your body so you cant be that bothered about harmful stuff.

Do you REALLY believe that its just about what damage it may or may not do? So it makes it ok if it doesnt do any damage? Come off it, surely you understand why it pisses people off so much?

Theres no reasoning with unreasonable people, and disrespectful people will never have any respect for others.
Old 20-06-2007, 09:24 AM
Bungle

Originally Posted by focusv8
Smoking IS banned in company owned vehicles when the national ban applies.
However the fine for not having a No Smoking sticker in the Van / car is greater than being caught smoking

Smoking in van / car £50 to £1000 fine
Not displaying sticker £200 to £1500 fine

NOT PREVENTING SMOKING IN A SMOKE FREE ENVIROMENT (i.e workplace or Vehicle ) £2500 fine
Hold on a minute are you trying to tell me i have to prevent smoking in my fuckin van?

1, I own the van and the business and only have a mate that works with me and he smokes too,

How do i stand on this seriously?? cheers, Grant
Old 20-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Grant, yes you have a legal responsibility to ensure that neither he or you smoke in the van.
Old 20-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Bungle

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
Grant, yes you have a legal responsibility to ensure that neither he or you smoke in the van.
So its illegal for me to smoke in my own van while im out working???

No way i own that van surely that means i should get the right to decide if i smoke in it or not? thats fucking outrageous
Old 20-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by GRANT-XR
Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
So its illegal for me to smoke in my own van while im out working???

No way i own that van surely that means i should get the right to decide if i smoke in it or not? thats fucking outrageous

No you dont get to decide, its a workplace, and smoking in the workplace is banned.

Same is if you owned a factory you wouldnt be allowed to smoke in it either.

I believe there is an exception if its ONLY EVER you who is in it, and NEVER anyone else, but thats the only loophole as far as im aware.
Old 20-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Chip

Ps

If you think that is ridiculous, the place I live at the moment is rented to me and xrstu cheaply in exchange for us providing security services to the site (ie if we are there then squatters arent), and as such the contract views it as effectively a "place of work" so we've been informed we arent allowed to smoke in either communal areas or our own bedrooms

PC ludicrousy at its finest that one.
Old 20-06-2007, 08:30 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Yep, its the sort of rubbish that cant just be thrown in the bag in the footwell, or even the footwell, for retrevial to a proper receptical at a latter date.

Unless I take my eyes off the road and look for somewhere to stubb the butt out and keep looking at it to make sure its out, I am not throwing it into a bag of rubbish OR my footwell !

Oh and the fact a bit of cotton wool some paper and some leaves will disintergrate and go back into nature from where they come pretty quick, think I can sleep easy at night noy worrying about the enviroment, not like some plasic wrappers bottles, polystyrene etc that will litter somewhere for months
Last time i looked sierras had ashtrays
Old 20-06-2007, 08:32 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by KregRS
I never knew there were so many Moral Crusaders on pf. 1st the parking in M+T spaces, now smoking while driving, haven't you got anything better to do than trying to ram your view down everyones throat, all because you believe you're right.
People park where they're not supposed to, it happens, tough shit, deal with it. People smoke while driving, again it happens, tough shit, deal with it. I'm sure there are many things you do in your everyday life that some of us might not agree with, but you don't see us giving it a load of flannel because we disagree with it.

You live your life, I'll live mine. If I do want to smoke in my car on my way down to tesco's to park in a M+T space, I will, nothing that you say on here going to stop me.

Its the same old inconsiderate people i see...

Another piece of evidence that supports the theory of being dragged up
Old 20-06-2007, 11:27 PM
KregRS

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
Originally Posted by KregRS

Is that the best you can come up with? I heard it all last time, try changing the record, you're starting to bore me now.

Whats inconsiderate about smoking a ciggie in my car, whilst driving?
Old 20-06-2007, 11:34 PM
KregRS

As for being dragged up, you don't know anything about me, so how you can make the assumption I was dragged up, I don't know. I've probably been through more shit in my 30yrs than self righteous twats like you can imagine, so unless you know the full story and my history, keep your sad, 'head stuck up your arse' comments to yourself.
Old 20-06-2007, 11:43 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Smokers should be shot on sight. Every night you pick the paper up theres some L&B addict robbed an old age pensioner. Some ones kicked the shit out of a passer by because hes too many Embassy's. Its the trouble with modern Britain
Old 21-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

KregRS

Old 21-06-2007, 10:04 PM
KregRS

KregRS

Don't see the point of that, I don't go looking for pity or sympathy, nor do I expect any. I had a shit start in life, I accepted it and am getting on with my life.

TWAT.
Old 22-06-2007, 05:35 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Its posted to say so fucking what......yopu had a shit start in life...what so you think everyone else was born with a silver spoon in their gob? You had a shit life and thats what makes you an inconsiderate person? hmmmm ok.....and im the TWAT?
Old 22-06-2007, 10:57 PM
KregRS

Its posted to say so fucking what......yopu had a shit start in life...what so you think everyone else was born with a silver spoon in their gob? You had a shit life and thats what makes you an inconsiderate person? hmmmm ok.....and im the TWAT?
Yeah, you're the twat. You're the one saying I'm inconsiderate, just because I smoke in my car. How the fuck does me smoking in my own car affect you?
Old 22-06-2007, 11:15 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Off topic. I smoke, no problem with the ban. Its the fact that NHS money is being used in the advertising of the ban. I got a booklet through the post at great expense complete with stickers for my workplace (well im gonna run out after the first job) and to put in the van, Yet they cant provide clean hospitals. The goverment never broadcast the fact that near 5000 people a year die as a result of hospital superbugs.
Old 23-06-2007, 06:54 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

KregRS

no your inconsiderate as your attitude is fook everyone else and what they think ill do what i want...What it regards to isnt the subject...its your answer to everything by the looks...
Old 23-06-2007, 10:28 PM
KregRS

KregRS

no your inconsiderate as your attitude is fook everyone else and what they think ill do what i want...What it regards to isnt the subject...its your answer to everything by the looks...
Its not my answer to everything. But if you think I'm going to live my life to exactly how others want, then sorry, it ain't gonna happen. I'll make concessions on some things, but I'm afraid I live my life how I want, if that offends anyone, sorry, but thats life.
Old 24-06-2007, 12:07 AM
Anonymous
Banned

One thing that puzzles me is when people say there clothes wont stink of fag smoke at the end of the night. Am i the the only one that ditchs me clothes in the wash regardless if ive been down the pub or not.